Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odie

Odie's Personal Logs

I will take the first class exam this September. I hope I make first class.

Good luck. My dad was in the Navy, and got stuck at first for Seven years before he finally made Chief. of course, his CO on the last ship he was on gave him a crappy Eval (Primarily because this guy was an idiot, and didn't like a Chief showing him how wrong he was on alot of stuff) so dad never made Senior.

Edit: Non Commissioned Officer can be abreviated as NCO.

I've heard it mentioned twice. First time was in Pearl Harbor and the second was in the mini series Battlestar Galactica. I thought it was something they made up.

the chain of command on a ship is as follows

Commanding Officer (CO)

Executive Officer (XO)

Operations Officer (Ops)

they are the top three officers on the ship. the Command Master Chief of Chief of the Boat is the senior enlisted sailor aboard, and advises the CO and XO of matters involving the enlisted portion of the crew. below the Ops officer, there are division officers, who run the various departments on the ship. Combat systems, Engineering, Etc. they have deputies, and sub-department commanders, such as Gunnery Officers in the Combat systems department. on the enlisted side, you have an LCPO and an LPO. they are the top Chief and top petty officer for their division.

if I were to go to a ship, being a Lieutenant JG with training in Gunnery, depending on the type of ship I went to, I could be the assistant Gunnery Officer (Cruiser) Gunnery Officer (Destroyer/Frigate) Combat Systems Officer (Maybe on a Frigate) or Executive Officer (Coastal Patrol)

the Marine commander. the only ships that carry Marines usually are Amphibs (Assault ships designed to take Marines to where they are needed) and Aircraft Carriers.

It changes on the type of ship that a person is on. Larger the ship more departments. On the surface community there are no Command Master Chief of Chief of the Boat.

Jim, I know what Amphibs are. I've been to navy.mil, great site! Love it!

Jim or Odie: How do you become a Marine commisioned officer? There's no marine academy.

through the US Naval Academy or Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps, or do what I did, get a degree and go through OCS (Three Month Wonders they call us). you need at least a Bachelor's Degree to get a commission in the Marines. the Navy is more flexible because of the number of Enlisted-to-officer programs available under the Seaman To Admiral 21 program. becoming a Marine in general, and a Marine Officer at that, is alot of hard work. NROTC Midships on the Marine Pathway generally tend to do MORE PT than those on the Navy or Navy Nurse Pathway.

A person who want to be an Marine Officer can go to the Naval Academy.

It takes a lot of hard work to get into the academies.

yes it does. it takes an excellent GPA, good extra cirriculars, teacher references (where I went wrong), and a Congressman's nomination. now, you can also go through NROTC and fill out an application there. you'd fill it out for Marine Pathway, and go through NROTC at a college that supports it, such as the University of Wisconsin or San Diego State. upon graduation, you would be commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the US Marine Corps.

USS O’BRIEN (DD 975) is the fifth warship to be named in honor of Captain Jeremiah O’Brien.

I'm a plankowner on the USS Harry S. Truman.

Chancellorsville. Lemme guess it's a Destroyer?

Cruiser. Cool, Odie! Hey, get this, the USS John S. McCain's XO's name? Lt. Commander James Kirk.

Chancellorsville. Lemme guess it's a Destroyer?

Cruiser. Cool, Odie! Hey, get this, the USS John S. McCain's XO's name? Lt. Commander James Kirk.

What?!?! I'm wrong?! Most ships that are named after famous battles are destroyers!

Lt. Commander James Kirk, now that's funny. You should ask him if he's a Trek fan.

Wow. He must get lots of jokes! I can't wait until I'm in Yokosuka.