Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odie

Odie's Personal Logs

I just saw my best friend on the big screen!

Click for Spoiler:

It was a very good movie!

Another wonderful day in Buffalo! It is a nice wonderful day here. Tomorrow I am off to Washington DC to see my friend. I can't wait. I wonder what the weather is like in DC right not. I hope its not to hot. I will just what and find out.

Another wonderful day in Buffalo!  It is a nice wonderful day here.  Tomorrow I am off to Washington DC to see my friend.  I can't wait.  I wonder what the weather is like in DC right not.  I hope its not to hot.  I will just what and find out.

Sounds cool i hope its good weather for you Odie..have fun :theking:

I can't wait for tomorrow! I can't wait for tomorrow! I can't wait for tomorrow!

Here is news from my hometown.

Art lovers can't get enough of Buffalo

By SHARON LINSTEDT

News Staff Reporter

6/19/2004 

Where do art lovers head when they crave a fix of culture? According to a reader poll conducted by AmericanStyle Magazine, the top four cities are New York, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Buffalo.

Wait a minute . . . Buffalo?

"It's pretty amazing, but the word is getting out about what we have to offer," said Celeste Lawson, executive director of the Arts Council of Buffalo & Erie County. "For our size, our arts and cultural communities offer a diversity and quality that's on par with the giants like New York and Chicago."

AmericanStyle's 2004 Arts Destinations rankings mark the third time in three years that Buffalo has been in the Top 10. Since its debut ranking on the magazine's Top 25 list, Buffalo has climbed from the No. 9 to the No. 4 slot.

While the reader poll, which is conducted via mail-in ballots and online voting, is not scientific in its findings, it is still significant, according to Lawson.

"It's not from a blue-ribbon panel of judges, it's experiential. In many ways, that's even more significant because those who have visited Buffalo, and those who know and understand what's here gave us high marks," she said.

In its description of what makes Buffalo a prime cultural destination, the magazine cites the architectural stock highlighted by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan, Olmsted-designed parks, the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, the Burchfield-Penney Art Center, and the galleries and studios that have sprouted up at the Tri-Main Center.

The destination list and accompanying article also includes a photo of the University at Buffalo's Anderson Gallery, located off Kenmore Avenue in Buffalo's University Heights neighborhood.

"As a relatively new gallery trying to get on the map, it's wonderful to see our picture on their pages," said Kristin Riemer, spokeswoman for UB Galleries.

Founded as a nonprofit cultural institution in 2000, the contemporary gallery was a gift to UB by artist David Anderson, whose donation included the building and its collection.

But Riemer said while the photo may be of the Anderson, the city's ranking as a cultural tourism destination reflects the entire community.

"It's good for all of us. It reflects the purposeful feeling amongst ourselves and our mutual desire to promote Buffalo's arts community," she added.

The Top 10 list is rounded out by Cincinnati, Santa Fe, San Francisco, Seattle/Tacoma, Boston and Asheville, N.C.

The magazine's sub-list of up-and-coming cultural destinations includes Corning. The Southern Tier city's Corning Museum of Glass, the Steuben Glass design studio and the Rockwell Museum of Western Art were all cited as worth a visit.

Founded in 1995, AmericanStyle Magazine is a bimonthly arts lifestyle publication that showcases the homes of collectors and artists' studios. It touts a readership of 200,000, with 97 percent of its readers indicating they plan vacations to include arts events and gallery visits.

Today is my last day in San Diego. This is a cool city! I will miss it very much. Tomorrow I have an early fight to Japan. I can't wait until I bail out my dog from the kennel. I miss Astro very much!

It took personnel veeerrryyy long to get my orders and ticket to Japan! All day! That really p. issed my off to no end. I got my orders at 1530 and I had to see to travel agent. His office was on the other side of the base! At first I just get the duty drive. But NOOOO! The driver was on a job and the quarterdeck didn't know when the driver will be back. I had to walk to the agent in 30 minutes, because the office closed at 1600. The walk took about 25 mins. At least I got my tickets!

Last week I went to DC to see my friend. I am very glad that I went. I never thought that I miss him that much. :eek: He has been on my mind since then. I can't get his goofy grin out of my mind. The five days that I was with him was not long enough. He makes me very happy. We have talking to each other on the phone everyday. I hope that we can get station together on our next tour. Maybe in San Diego. I hope.

Great news

I am soooooo happy for you that you got to spend time with some that you care about. Hopeful that things work out for the 2 of you. Love is such a great feeling. Don't you think?

Doc Niel you are very right when you typed the feeling is great. I miss him very much and I still wish I could be in DC with him.

I can tell everyone right now JETLAG really sucks. I hate being up when I should be a sleep. I am glad to be back in Japan and I cannot wait until I am back to work. Today bail out my dog, Astro, from the kennel. I cannot wait to see my dog.

I made a very big mistake by taking my cell phone with me. When I was on the ship the phone hit hard on the deck and broke. Today I have to get a new one. I really do not want to buy, but I need one for work.

:theforce: :P YAAAAAY ODIE is back..lol i know we chatted early but i still wanna say i am glad your back Hang missed ya big time time and i am glad to see that mood star..hmm i wonder who the lucky guy is :clap: ...you should try to get some sleep i know its hard after the ten hr flight you had,but your gonna need all your energy for when you go pick up astro,he will be hideing socks :P... :hug:

I have to agree with hangon u should get some sleep. If u cant try drink alot of brandy and coke that normally helps me :P

:tank: :tomcat: :tank:

:theforce:

This worked in the past where I stay up for the full day 24 hours so my internal clock can reset to Japanese time. I have weekend off to do it. I will go to bed at my normal time. If I don't do this it can take a week to get over the jetlag. I really don't want to be tired in the middle of my work day.

Ok ive never had jetlag so i wouldnt really now how get sorted. But the brandy really does help u sleep.(It also makes u think u can sing. My dads proving this now lol :P )

:tank: :tomcat: :tank:

:theforce:

Something i found for you..lol sorry but when i see that mood star i cant resist :P :theforce:

Today I tried to bail out Astro and I couldn't. I have to wait until Tuesday. Sometimes I wish Monday was not a federal holiday.

I got a new cell phone order and I will get it within a week. The good news is that the company that I go through gave me a loaner. I still have the number. When I was talking to one of the ladies in the company I need the number to make international calls. She asked me if I make a lot of calls. I said yes, but my cell phone has a better rate than on base telephones. She showed me the rates and they where almost half in what I am paying now! :D:D

Today I have duty. A very slow duty day. At least I can look at my e-mail. Oh boy, do I have a lot of it. It looks like its over a 100.

I got an Letter of Commendation from the USS O'Brien. Here is the citation:

"For outstanding performance while serving as Assistant Leading Petty Officer, Navigation Division, Navigation/Administration Department, in USS O'BRIEN from May 2004 to June 2004, while deployed to the Western Pacific Ocean. Petty Officer Odien performed her demanding duties in an exemplary and highly professional manner. She assisted with over 500 chart corrections on 35 different charts in support of a trans-Pacific transit from Yokosuka, Japan, to San Diego, California, for decommissioning. She logged over 8,000 nautical miles and 100 hours as a member of the Bridge Navigation Team. Her keen attention to detail and supervision as Bearing Taker and Recorder during six Navigation Details allowed O'BRIEN to safely complete her final port visits including Pearl Harbor, HI and Seal Beach, CA. Her diligent efforts inspired all who observed her and contributed significantly to the successful accomplishments of O'BRIEN's mission. Petty Officer Odien's professionalism and devotion to duty reflect great credit upon herself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service."

:D WOW congrats :D Odie thats great to get a commendation from the navy i bet your proud to get that on your service record,devotion to duty i like the sound of that B) .. :D B)

Today I will pick up my dog, Astro from the kennel. :laugh: :) I really miss my dog. Today he will go to the beach and I will let him do anything that he wants to do. He will have his favorite sushi. We both need some bonding time.

It is good to be home with my dog, Astro. I just got him out of the kennel. He lost a lot of weight! :laugh: Yorkies don't weigh much to being with, but now his just fur, skin, and bones. It will take months for him to gain the weight that he had lost.

It is good to be home with my dog, Astro.  I just got him out of the kennel.  He lost a lot of weight! :) Yorkies don't weigh much to being with, but now his just fur, skin, and bones.  It will take months for him to gain the weight that he had lost.

Hi Odie, I hope Astro will be ok. :) I love Yorkies my neighbour has one called Charlie he is soooo cute but very tough. :laugh:

:devil: YAAAAAY you got astro back.awwwww i bet he went nuts when he saw you i know how much you missed the little guy :laugh: ..he will be running you round your house in japan looking for socks :) :)

Astro will be fine. He just needs to gain weight. Right now Astro went to his food. and water bowl. He eat lot of food and drank most of the water. He is just laying around right now. I hope he will be in his normal behavior by the end of the week.