Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odie

Odie's Personal Logs

Today I decided to started a log. While my life is mundane, but it is a little interesting.

First I am going tell some facts about myself:

-In the United States Navy. Station in Yokosuka, Japan.

-I am a Quartermaster in the Navy. Quartermasters are responsible for the ship's safe navigation. I can drive an aircraft carrier. :cool: Here is web page that describes my job: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinf...yjobs2/blqm.htm

-I have a Yorkshire Terror named Astro. Calling my dog Odie would be too much of a joke.

-My hometown is Buffalo, New York. My favorite season is winter!

If you have any comments please post. Thanks!

WOW sounds like you lead a very intresting life not only are you in the navy but your based in japan!!!!that sounds really cool how long do you have to stay there?

Ichecked out the website sounds like a cool job :(

WOW sounds like you lead a very intresting life not only are you in the navy but your based in japan!!!!that sounds really cool how long do you have to stay there?

Ichecked out the website sounds like a cool job :P

Thank you! I actually like my job in the Navy. The downside to my job is that hours can be long (16 to 18 hours if the ship is underway) and on my feet all the time. Right now I am in shore duty status. The good news that I have a normal working day. The bad news I am not during my quartermaster stuff as much as I would like. B)

Friday, very early morning Japan.

TGIF!!! Astro was being very hyper this morning until I feed him. Now that he has food in his stomach he has come down somewhat. I have found the same dog food brand that can be purchased in that United States is very different in Japan. The dog found I buy is Pedigree. Instead of looking over process dog food it look like real food. Take for example chicken. You can see chicken meat and the vegetables. Astro really like the Japanese version of Pedigree. :P

Today I have an medical appointment to review my status and record. B) The reason behind this is to make sure my record is up to date, but is very tiresome process. I know there are people in medical who can't wait to stick a needle in me!

I have 21 more days to go before I can go on vatican! :naughty:

Saturday, morning Japan.

Yesterday Medical got me. Not only just one shot, but three! :o I hate needles. I really never understood all the paper work that they makes me fill out. A lot of it copies of the same information that I filled out before. All that paper work make my medical record look big. I have to go back to get my PPD read on Monday. All hopefully that will only take a few minutes of my time.

I show the "Passion of Christ." Very powerfully movie. It was graphic, but I can also see Mel Gibson's point of view. I could not find any anti-semitism in the movie, but the movie was made for christians. I will see it again.

Right now I have to enjoy my only day off to the best of abilities. I have to go into work tomorrow. A complete bummer.

Saturday very warm afternoon.

It was a very long and boring week. Monday thru Friday is almost the same day repeated 5 times. There are differences, but not much.

I am on station on a shore base, which means there is not much work for me to do as a quartermaster. Right now I am on a tug boat, and that boat is going through a major overhaul. What a pain in the #$@! Family site so I won't say the actually word. As I write this log SRF (Ship Repair Facilities Yokosuka) is slowly repairing the main engine. Hopefully and with some luck the tug boat will be up and running by the end of the month.

The most work I have done this was chipping and painting a ladderway. Ladderwell is staircase of the civilian world. (Don't ask me why they call it a ladderwell.) I hate chipping and painting. It is really get very old very fast. Normally for someone of my rank, an E-5 (same as a sergeant in the Army) I would not be doing the actually work anymore. Junior personally would be doing the work. I would be supervising. I would make sure that the work is done correctly and on time, and maybe I would help if I had time. I would have other work that needed to get done as well as the painting job. On the tug boat the most junior rank is an E-5. Oh well, the work has to get done.

This week I went to Dental. Fortunately I miss a root canal. I am very gratefully to the dentist, LT Lang. She is a wonderful dentist. She will do well in the civilian world. By the end of this month my luck will not hold out. She said I will have a root canal. I was informed one of the teeth is infected and I need a root canal. I find this to be very strange since none of my teeth hurt me in any shape or form. Unfortunately being in the military I can't say no to the root canal. It is lawfully an order.

This Friday I was informed that I may go TAD (temporary attached duty) on one of the homeported ship in Yokosuka next month. The ship is the USS O'Brien. (As a Star Trek fan I find the name of the ship to be very cool! cool-smiley-004.gif) That ship is short on quartermasters and I was asked to volunteer. Like I could say no. The ship will go Hawaii Yes, Hawaii! Very soon the ship will be decommission from the fleet. The ship is very old and breaks down a lot. The ship nickname is the "Old Broken." I will know more about the assignment on Monday.

For those who will ask when I will be going and for how long the only answer I can tell you is that I can't tell you. Security reasons, but I can tell after the event. I will try to keep you informed on what I am doing when I am on the ship, but my access to a computer will serval limited if I am luckily. If I can't get to a computer on the ship I will hand write a journal. This will change my vacation plans. party-smiley-018.gif

Sounds cool and i think ppl understand about the security reasons for not talking about times and dates and where your going,you never know whos reading this :flex:

I for one would love to hear all about it..guess i am a nosey person..lol..well i got 3 weeks off so i have too much time on my hands.

I have had a root canal..hurts just thinking about it :)

Tuesday, a very hot spring day in Japan! nature-smiley-008.gif

I am VERY BORED TODAY! While my tug boat being overhauled I have to say late until the workers leave for the day!

I finial got my voter registration card from New York. The state that I am from is so cheap I have to pay the postage. I what to know what they do with my taxes?

medium-smiley-014.gif

Friday early morning. So early the sun isn't up yet.

I just found out Wednesday I will go on the USS O'Brien on their next underway period. I will have my TAD orders sometime next week. I will attach to the ship on June 3rd. I am very much looking forward getting some underway time. I really miss my job on a ship. Plotting the ships course, driving the ship and teasing the junior officers. Teasing junior officers is so fun, but I won't that on the O'Brien.

After the I the underway time I will be on VACATION!!! :flex: I will be on leave for 30 whole days! :) The underway time has changed my plans. From having plans to having none at all. I will think of stuff to do when I am on vacation. I haven't had a vacation in 2 years. I really do need it.

One of my ex-boyfriends had just sent me an e-mail. It was very odd. I haven't heard from him in 4 years. It was nice to get some news from him, but caused some mix feelings. I was very angry when he left me without saying a word. He thought it would easier that way. In his e-mail he gave his phone number and I called him. He told me he was sorry for the way he treated me back then. So I forgave him and we stay friends for now. I believe hearing his voice again after so many years have passed caused me to forgive him.

This weekend will be my first full weekend off in a whole month! What I am going to do with myself with that much time off? :clap:

I have my scanner up and running. I have changed my personal pic. I am very proud of myself! B)

I have my scanner up and running.  I have changed my personal pic.  I am very proud of myself! B)

B) And so you should be,i just checked it out looks good B) B) :b-day:

I have my scanner up and running.  I have changed my personal pic.  I am very proud of myself! :(

B) And so you should be,i just checked it out looks good B) B) B)

Thank you!! :b-day:

I have my scanner up and running.  I have changed my personal pic.  I am very proud of myself!   :(

:D And so you should be,i just checked it out looks good B) B) B)

Thank you!! :b-day:

You are welcome B)

Saturday, raining morning

Right now I am at work and having a slow day. Because it is raining this morning a can't do half of my work that is assign to me. Maybe it will stop raining this afternoon.

Last night I stayed up chating with a good friend. :frusty: It was well passed my bedtime. lol I was planning to sleep in, because I didn't have to work until 8 a.m. That didn't work as well as I planned. I still woke up at my normal time. I hate my internal alarm clock wakes me up when I don't have to. :frusty:

Right now I can't wait to go underway with the O'Brien. I hope I don't get sea sick. I have never been on a destroy and I don't know if I would. When tug boat goes away from the harbor and there is a small craft warning I get sick. vomit-smiley-019.gif

Odie, you ever been aboard USS Chancellorsville?

No, this is my first tour in Yokosuka and the only ship I was assign to was USS Harry S. Truman.

Monday, lunch time

This my last full week on the tug boat. I will be going on the O'Brien starting next week. I am very much looking forward going underway. Next week cannot come soon enough for me.

I've just got new photos in my dress blues. I think they are alright. I may change my personal pic to newer one.

Yesterday was a beautiful day. So beautiful I had to take Astro to the beach. For once he behaved himself. :D Early that morning I saw Mt. Fuji. I can never get tried of that sight. :) When I'm done from being TAD I will clime Mt. Fuji if it kills me!

Monday evening

It is another long boring duty day, but it just got better. :) I can't wait until tomorrow when I am off and of the tug boat and on my own computer. The good thing about have duty on the tug is that I can watch cable TV that is from America. There is nothing wrong with Japanese cable TV, but there is not enough America programs like I can get on the tug that is on base.

I keep looking at my new photos of me in uniform. I am still wondering weather I should change my personal pic.

I keep looking at my new photos of me in uniform.  I am still wondering weather I should change my personal pic.

Yeah go on live a little change your personal pic :)

I keep looking at my new photos of me in uniform.  I am still wondering weather I should change my personal pic.

It is not much of change. It will post it tomorrow and other people judge. If they like it I will change it.

It is not much of change. It will post it tomorrow and other people judge. If they like it I will change it.

Good i shall keep my eyes open for it..and who knows mabe i can make a few changes to it... :D nah dont worry i wont do that to friend :)

RC must I had said the samething along time ago...., Smurf Boy.

LMAO yes she did..but i wont i promise you it wouldnt be nice if you came back from the o'brein logged in and found that some one had made a cartoon pic of you,i am not that type of guy... :)

LMAO yes she did..but i wont i promise you it wouldnt be nice if you came back from the o'brein logged in and found that some one had made a cartoon pic of you,i am not that type of guy... :)

Maybe not you, but you do have friends. :D

Maybe not you, but you do have friends. :D

Nooo dont worry it wont happen i promise i was just messing around with you,you should know me by now i just wanted to see you squirm in your chair...lol

Maybe not you, but you do have friends. :)

Nooo dont worry it wont happen i promise i was just messing around with you,you should know me by now i just wanted to see you squirm in your chair...lol

I know that you won't, but there is RC. hehe As I said before, I have no fear from a smurf! :) :D

Tuesday, cold and a wet afternoon

Just as I thought it would be safe to ride my bike from work it had to rain. Last week my hip was hurting. I decided to play it safe and not use my bike. I really want to get my bike home. It would save so much money when I ride my bike. Maybe the weather will be better tomorrow.

I have decided to extend my oversea tour in Japan. That would mean one more year on the tug. If my request does get approve I will get $2,000 bonus. Of course Uncle Sam will have to take his "small" portion from it. I know this won't help me get promoted any faster, but currently the orders are not that great for Quartermasters. I will wait and see what next year brings.

Wesnesday, cloudy day

Early morning the weather start out bad, but slowly got better and then it starting to get bad again. I hope it doesn't rain later evening so I can ride my bike home. :lol:

Today I had my eye examination. Good news is that my eyes hasn't gotton any worse. :wow: My prescription just went up slightly. By time I get back from being TAD to the O'Brien and my leave the new pair of glasses will be back from the States. They look ok, but I am going out of town buy a cool pair!

Thursday, wonderful afternoon

The weather is great! :rofl: Not too hot or too cold. Just right!

Yesturday I was able to ride my bike. It was fun! Today it was better!

Today I was informed that I can pick my TAD orders with the O'Brien. On Monday I transfer to the O'Brien. I can't wait until I go underway. Wonder what Hawaii is like at the time of the year.

Good luck on the O'Brien. and Hawaii is nice this time of year, it's approaching the hot season in that section of the Pacific. I want to go back to Sea, the water in Lake Michigan isn't salty enough for me.