Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odie

Odie's Personal Logs

Here is off-beat news from my hometown.

Buffalo News May 26, 2004

Attack of the missing geese

This is the time of year Canadian geese usually invade the Town of Tonawanda's golf courses.

It isn't a pretty site. Interrupted play. Damaged greens. The frequent droppings.

So town officials sought a new way to keep the pesky birds off the Sheridan Park and Brighton Park courses: Bring in six to eight border collies from a North Carolina kennel for a couple of weeks to frighten and chase them away.

But the dogs remain in North Carolina, because the geese have been a no-show.

Maybe it's the power of the press.

"Right now, we've been kind of lucky," said Daniel J. Wiles, director of the town's Youth, Parks & Recreation Department. "Either the geese have been reading the articles in The Buffalo News (about the dogs) and staying away or there's been some sort of change."

I am finially off from work. <_< It was a long and boring day. Tomorrow I will be underway again heading towards San Diego. Once I am there I will be on leave! :nono:

I will be making a very important decision in San Diego. I am getting my hair cut while I'm there. It needs it anyway. I deciding to change my style. I am still not sure as what to get. Maybe I will let the person cutting my choice.

I will be making a very important decision in San Diego.  I am getting my hair cut while I'm there.  It needs it anyway.  I deciding to change my style.  I am still not sure as what to get.  Maybe I will let the person cutting my choice.

Mabe you should get it done like mine :( ..nah just kidding around :(

I will be making a very important decision in San Diego.  I am getting my hair cut while I'm there.  It needs it anyway.  I deciding to change my style.  I am still not sure as what to get.  Maybe I will let the person cutting my choice.

Mabe you should get it done like mine :o ..nah just kidding around :(

You must be crazy or do you think that I am RC! :(

Odie, what ever you do, don't do what I did way back when and tell the Barber to just cut it short. :( Otherwise you'll end up looking like G.I. Jane :(

Odie, what ever you do, don't do what I did way back when and tell the Barber to just cut it short. :(  Otherwise you'll end up looking like G.I. Jane :o

So tell me, are you the one that goes to the ship's barber and thinks that he will get the best hair cut on ship? :(

Today is the last underway period for the USS O'Brien (DD-975). She has a fine crew and will be missed in the fleet. :(

if it's any consolation, Odie, the O'Brien will be available for a return to service for another 12 years. that's how long ships stay at Bremerton before being scrapped. and even then, a ship can still be recovered once scrapping starts, since theystart with the superstructure.

I know. It seems to me that the Navy is decomming to my ships at once.

I am in San Diego! I wish the weather was better. The Naval Base looks large than in Japan. Can't wait until I get my leave papers. I might get them by the first of June.

Welcome to SD Odie! Not the best time for good weather here, what you see out your window now is what we call May Gray. The bad news is it doesn't stop at the end of May; it becomes June Gloom. It'll start clearing up for the summer in about three weeks, just in time for the Fair.

I am in San Diego! 

:blink: Now I'm homesick again. I grew up in San Diego. Even with the May Gray and June Gloom it's still a little chunk of heaven to me.

Welcome to SD Odie! Not the best time for good weather here, what you see out your window now is what we call May Gray. The bad news is it doesn't stop at the end of May; it becomes June Gloom. It'll start clearing up for the summer in about three weeks, just in time for the Fair.

I am little disappointed. I'm from Buffalo, New York. At this time of year the weather in Buffalo is beautiful. Nothing but blue skies and 60-70 degree temps. I miss Buffalo's weather. Maybe very early in the morning it might snow, because Lake Erie is still very cold. Even though the skies are gray in San Diego it won't stop me from have a good time.

I am in San Diego! 

:blink: Now I'm homesick again. I grew up in San Diego. Even with the May Gray and June Gloom it's still a little chunk of heaven to me.

I will be taking pictures around San Diego. Is there any place that you want a picture of?

Hope you enjoy San Diego. Never been to the states, maybe oneday you can show me what it looks like from the average persons point of vew. Please?

Hope you enjoy San Diego. Never been to the states, maybe oneday you can show me what it looks like from the average persons point of vew. Please?

When I'm back home I will post lots of pictures of my trip from Yokosuka, Japan to San Diego, CA.

I have starting to get some sinus problems. I am getting a sinus headache. I hope it not the start of sinusitis. The last time I had that problem my sinus bleed on and off for two weeks. The doctors in the hospital said there is nothing that they can do about that. I wonder about that.

I've just got paid this evening. I've received my uniform allowance even though I buy new uniforms year round. Oh well, I need my summer whites update. I have CNT's that need to be tailored. My dress whites needs to get dryed cleaned. I might do in San Diego or Yokosuka. It depends if they can rush the order.

I've just got paid this evening.  I've received my uniform allowance even though I buy new uniforms year round.  Oh well, I need my summer whites update.  I have CNT's that need to be tailored.  My dress whites needs to get dryed cleaned.  I might do in San Diego or Yokosuka.  It depends if they can rush the order.

Sleep well and Have a nice day at the Zoo tomorrow and dont forgot to take some photo's :drool::naughty:

I've just got back from the zoo and watch a movie, "The Alamo" The zoo is very interesting, but I did lots of walking. My legs hurt <_< I have lots of pictures on the zoo. I will post them when I am in Yokosuka. The Alamo" was interesting movie even though I am not interested in Texas' history.

did you ride the Skyfari?

I remember last time I went to the SD Zoo, I was checking out the Tiger, and the thing came up to the glass, stood up, planted his paws on the glass and looked me in the eye and started growling. I never thought I'd ever be intimidated by a cat, but that time I was. when you look into the eye of the tiger, you can see the power of the beast, and the fact that it wants you for lunch. very...odd...experience.

I've just got back from the zoo and watch a movie, "The Alamo"  The zoo is very interesting, but I did lots of walking.  My legs hurt <_< I have lots of pictures on the zoo.  I will post them when I am in Yokosuka.  The Alamo"  was interesting movie even though I am not interested in Texas' history.

Sounds like you had a intresting day Odie,i cant wait to see the photos what you took today <_<

And thanks for staying up and waiting to chat with me :hug:

I've just got back from the zoo and watch a movie, "The Alamo"  The zoo is very interesting, but I did lots of walking.  My legs hurt <_< I have lots of pictures on the zoo.  I will post them when I am in Yokosuka.  The Alamo"  was interesting movie even though I am not interested in Texas' history.

Sounds like you had a intresting day Odie,i cant wait to see the photos what you took today :hug:

And thanks for staying up and waiting to chat with me <_<

I always have fun chating with you.

Today I am planning to go to theater and catch up on all the movies here in the States. It sometimes takes forever in day for movies get to Japan. Most of time the DVD is out when it makes to theaters in Japan. <_<

Yesturday I went to an American mall for the first time in over 2 years! There are big difference between the mall in American and in Japan.

I'm Glad to see you are having a great time. I told you you'd enjoy it out there. Hope to here from you soon.....

:angry:

Still have to wait till Jan to get out there :angry:

The weather in San Diego has improved. Today I will be on leave (vaction)

I won't be back to Japan until 11th of June. I can't wait until "bail" out my dog from the kennel.