Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummy

Gummy's Two Cents

Now, it's getting hot outside. It's 81 now. Tomorrow, they're calling for low 90's.

I slept like a baby for the second consecutive night last night. It would appear that my bout with Insomnia is over with. Things have been quiet on both 2.0 and 1.0's fronts. I am sensing a calm before the storm. :lol:

I have shields on stand-by. :roflmao:

Well, I just got called to work overtime on the midnight shift tonight. And I'll be working until 2pm tomorrow. My butt will be dragging come this time tomorrow, but it's well worth it. The money's too good to pass up.

I feel for you. Every Friday, I work from around 2:30 am to about 5:00 pm. I hate Fridays!

I feel for you. Every Friday, I work from around 2:30 am to about 5:00 pm. I hate Fridays!

And tomorrow is an Academy Graduation. I'll have the Commissioner, some of his people here and a ton of brass. So, I will be running into them after pulling a double shift. It will be the Friday from Hell. :roflmao:

Today was a very long day. Last night, I busted my tail all night long. I had to get things ready for the Day Watch. I had to do a Weapons Inventory, which is never fun. The phone rang off of the hook most of the night. Then the Day Watch was painful. Fighting off the desire to sleep was my main goal. Which I was very successful until I got home, then I hit my A/C on and slept for two hours, then went downstairs, poured a cup of coffee and plopped into my recliner and slept there for another hour. Now, I am just about ready for bed. I can't pull those double shifts like I used to.

Must be I'm getting old. :roflmao:

It's been a few days since my last entry. And nothing exciting has happened since then. Except for my Yankees winning their sixth consecutive game today, which has me dancing for joy.chip.gif

Other than that, it's been pretty quiet. I have to work overtime tonight, so I gotta get a nap before work.

I can't believe that I just got up. I worked overtime last night on the midnight shift and got out at 6am. My original plan was to come home, start laundry, get a pot of coffee going, and watch the series finale of The Sopranos. Well, I did most of them until I got settled into my recliner with my coffee to watch TV. That's when I fell asleep and never ended up seeing the Sopranos. Since the Yankees are off tonight, I will watch it while I have dinner. The laundry is getting done now as I just changed loads. I'm looking forward to this weekend as I am off on Father's Day Weekend for the first time in years. I'm curious as to what my kids have planned for me for Father's Day. I told them that they didn't have to get me anything. A card would be more than enough for me. Besides, every day that I spend with my kids is Father's Day to me. :roflmao:

hey, as love as you love you kids, thats whats more important than any gift.

I couldn't agree more. :roflmao:

now if my dad could change his behavor more, then i'd love him more than i do now.

I wasn't always the best of dads, but I tried my very best to do the best that I possibly could for my kids.

I think that they realize this and appreciate my efforts for it.

Both being a father and raising kids takes a great deal of luck and a great deal of skill. I think that luck outweighs the skill ratio. You have to hope that you have been able to show your kids the right way to go and hope that they make the right decisions along the way. By no means is it ever easy. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. Because I see my kids carrying on my legacy and not just my name.

it's going to be a long time till i have kids...a very long time

My first wasn't born until I was almost 30. So, it's not a bad thing if you take your time.

My first wasn't born until I was almost 30. So, it's not a bad thing if you take your time.

I know I'm an exception, but my Dad was 52 when I was born (my Mom was in her 30's), so anything is possible. :roflmao:

I know I'm an exception, but my Dad was 52 when I was born (my Mom was in her 30's), so anything is possible. :roflmao:

You're not really an exception. Many people today are having kids later in life. Look at Jimmy Doohan. He became a father again at Age 80. Sadly, he died when his daughter was only seven.

not that im saying that i want kids right away, i just mean that at my current state of mind, it's just hard for me to adapt from i've experinced from my dad.

not that im saying that i want kids right away, i just mean that at my current state of mind, it's just hard for me to adapt from i've experinced from my dad.

I take it that you had a rough childhood?

You can take those experiences and put them to good use. Use them as mental guidelines when the time comes for you to be a father. My father beat me. I have never hit my kids and both they and I are better for it.

Use this only when you are ready. You're young yet. You've got nothing but time.

I was lucky. I had 2 great parents that never beat me. I've never hit my son either.....well...except for when we took karate. Then we beat the c.rap out of each other.... :roflmao:

I was lucky. I had 2 great parents that never beat me. I've never hit my son either.....well...except for when we took karate. Then we beat the c.rap out of each other.... :roflmao:

My father had an awful temper. When we kids screwed up, we paid the price. It was the 60's and child abuse wasn't even thought of yet. I promised myself that I would never subject my kids to that. And I never did.

No child deserves to be beaten. No woman deserves any type of violence. No one does.

I just got home from work. I have decided that it's too hot to cook inside today, so I must cook out tonight.

Work was pretty uneventful today. I know that Odo is happy today. One of his Tigers' pitchers, Justin Verlander threw a no-hitter last night. I watched part of the game, the kid did real good.

Ah, yes. Another Father's Day has come. My kids aren't doing anything special, per my request. They did let me sleep in this morning, since I worked overtime on the Midnight Shift last night. And I'll be doing it again tonight. Lately, I've been getting a ton of OT, which is nice because there's a stack of bills on my desk that I would really love to get paid off. And I need to buy some new TV's. I want a 20" for my bedroom and a Flat Screen Plasma for my Living Room. This way, I can move my 32" down to my Family Room so we can hook PlayStation and XBox up to it. And the Flat Screen will have a HD/DVD Player to it so I can watch my Director's Cut Trek Movies on it. Oh, yes, Daddy's got big plans.

I did get an e-mail from 2.0 yesterday and this morning wishing me a Happy Father's Day. Which was really swell of her. :lol:

Tomorrow morning, I have to be in Family Court at 10:30 AM. After working all night, I should be in really good shape for that. But, if it means not having to write 1.0 any more checks, then it will be well worth it.

For my big Father's Day Dinner, I will be grilling steaks out tonight. And I think that Macaroni Salad and Broccoli will go with it. :roflmao:

For all of my Fellow Dads out there, I hope you have as terrific a Father's Day as I am.

Family Court went as expected this morning. I no longer am obligated to pay support to 1.0 anymore. The judge looked puzzled as I think he was expecting one of us to have a tantrum over his decision. Both 1.0 and I left the room smiling and joking. You should have seen the crowd in there. You would have thought that the circus was in town. A major league Freak Show!!!

I am on vacation this week, except for Thursday and Friday. My Lieutenant scheduled me for Weapons Training. I don't mind it. I get to shoot my sidearm, so I look at it as a day of fun. I just hope it's not hot those days. Heat and I don't get along.

2.0 e-mailed me over the weekend to wish me a Happy Father's Day. Which I think I may have mentioned in a previous entry. But, there's nothing new on that front. I just want to relax this week and not do a lot.

Good God, I've been working harder now while on vacation that I do when I'm on my regular schedule.

The overtime is picked up again and with a fury unlike any that I've seen before. The rookies are figuring out that the only way to get additional time off (other than your normal days off) is to call in sick. Which none of them seem to have any problem doing. I, for one, endorse this practice as it it helping me get out of debt.

I just need to get through this paycheck and to my next one so that my big OT checks can start cleaning up this mountain of bills sitting just to my left. Just looking at it makes me want to puke. But soon, they will all be marked "paid-in-full" and filed away. And maybe then I can slow down a little.

Sorry about all the money problems, Gummy. But I'm sure that it will get better now that you don't have to pay 1.0 anymore.

Sorry about all the money problems, Gummy. But I'm sure that it will get better now that you don't have to pay 1.0 anymore.

Actually, things are slowly getting better. I have to pay back all of those that I've borrowed from. Which I absolutely hate to do, but was forced to out of necessity. But August 1st, I'll be back in the black, so to speak. And my son has applied at the local Golf Course to do bullwork over there. So, he'll have his own spending money. I'll say this for him, he's not afraid to work for a living. Anything that I've ever ask him to do around here, he does it without question or argument. His mother can't get over that. I told her that it's not what you say, but how you say it. Ask nicely, and it gets done a helluva quicker than it would by barking at the kid. My communication skills were always better than hers. :laugh:

Weapons Training was fun today. Tomorrow, I have Chemical Agents Training. I love to toss a few grenades to dump some Tear Gas on the rookies. I don't get too messed up by it, even when I don't have a Gas Mask on. It's just something fun to do.

My son and his g/f gave me a late Father's Day Gift today. They got me a subscription to Star Trek Magazine.

It's very difficult to find around here. I've only seen it in two places, both a considerable distance from me. So, now I will be getting it in the mail and couldn't be happier.

Did I raise a great kid, or what? :laugh:

My son and his g/f gave me a late Father's Day Gift today. They got me a subscription to Star Trek Magazine.

Thats a great magazine. I subscribe to it also.