Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odie

Odie's Personal Log

i think I am the only person alive that has fun filling out and putting nto order papework, I find it fun

325963[/snapback]

I love paperwork myself.

Strange but true. :dude:

Well use your best Respect my Authoritayt voice and warn them: Screw ups that make you look bad are evil.  Making QM1 Odie look good is a good thing, and lessens strife. Old chinese proverb...It is!

326236[/snapback]

There are two right now that will become my closest pals soon if they don't give me their reports and finish one inspection today. :( Yeah, we will have fun today. :dude:

I hate paperwork and I hate inspections. Unless I'm the inspecting officer. then I have fun with it.

326272[/snapback]

I don't either, but everything is working out for my division. So far no major hits and CO so far is very pleased by his inspections. I hope everything works for the rest of the paper work.

I hate paperwork and I hate inspections. Unless I'm the inspecting officer. then I have fun with it.

326272[/snapback]

I don't either, but everything is working out for my division. So far no major hits and CO so far is very pleased by his inspections. I hope everything works for the rest of the paper work.

326286[/snapback]

Just wondering if you are up for promotion? Or is this a normal inspection?

This has nothing to do with promotion, which I am not up for one for serveral years. I just got advanced in November last year. The Navy loves inspections. The inspection that my division is going through happens bi-annually.

Finally remembered how to write a letter. :dude:

put it in the mail today. where are you now?

For the last few days I have been very busy preparing for the next port visit. :P I am very tried right now. The ship is now down under. That means that we past the equator. We are now in the south hemphere.

Well G'day to ya. Do they still indulge in the Shellback initiations upon crossing the equator? Or are those a relic of a quaint navy past? I never passed the equator, but the initiations were still in vogue when I was in. The only thing I did was the pinning on of the stripes with the marines. Fortunately I became an E-4 when I was with them which severely cut down on the pool of people to pin on my new crow. BTW enjoy the hell out of your liberty. I can reccomend Fosters beer from memory of hanging around with some Aussie sailors in Hong Kong

Well G'day to ya.  Do they still indulge in the Shellback initiations upon crossing the equator?  Or are those a relic of a quaint navy past?  I never passed the equator, but the initiations were still in vogue when I was in.  The only thing I did was the pinning on of the stripes with the marines.  Fortunately I became an E-4 when I was with them which severely cut down on the pool of people to pin on my new crow.  BTW enjoy the hell out of your liberty.  I can reccomend Fosters beer from memory of hanging around with some Aussie sailors in Hong Kong

327726[/snapback]

i also remember Navy personnel talking about the Shellback initiations for crossing the equator. Do they still perform them? Enjoy your liberty! I would love to go to Australia.

They still do the Shellback initiations, but it has been tame alot over the years. It really doesn't matter now, because I am a Shellback! :P

I know they got a bit viscious in the past the Navy had to step in to tone them down. Ms high and mighty Shellback. Lucky she talks to the proles now. Seriously congratulations and enjoy your liberty time.

They still do the Shellback initiations, but it has been tame alot over the years.  It really doesn't matter now, because I am a Shellback!  :P

327874[/snapback]

This might be a stupid question, but, what's a Shellabck initation?

They still do the Shellback initiations, but it has been tame alot over the years.  It really doesn't matter now, because I am a Shellback!   :P

327874[/snapback]

This might be a stupid question, but, what's a Shellabck initation?

327879[/snapback]

Its not a stupid question, because you are not in the Navy. Shellback is a very old tradition in the Navy. A Shellback is someone who has crossed the equator during their deployment. Its a big deal in the Navy.

n the U.S. Navy, when a ship crosses the equator a time-honored ceremony takes place. This is a Navy tradition and an event no sailor ever forgets.  With few exceptions, those who have been inducted into the "mysteries of the deep" by Neptunus Rex and his Royal court, count the experience as a highlight of their naval career.  Members of Neptunus Rex's party usually include Davy Jones, Neptune's first assistant, Her Highness Amphitrite, the Royal Scribe, the Royal Doctor, the Royal Dentist,  the Royal Baby, the Royal Navigator, the Royal Chaplain, the Royal Judge, Attorneys, Barbers and other names that suit the party.

Officially recognized by service record entries indicating date, time, latitude and longitude, the crossing of the equator involves elaborate preparation by the "shellbacks" (those who have crossed the equator before) to ensure the "pollywogs" (those who are about to cross the equator for the first time) are properly indoctrinated. All pollywogs, even the Commanding Officer if he has not crossed before, must participate.

A Golden Shellback is one who has crossed the equator at the 180th meridian.

It is an old Naval tradition not just the US Navy either. The initiation generally involves making the pollywogs life a living hell for a day. Heavy on the humiliation. The Senior enlisted man on board becomes King Neptune and calls the shots for the day. All sorts of grossness is done to the poor pollywog all in good fun of course. It's a fun time and is meaningful to sailors everywhere. Think Frat house initiation with out the booze.

At least the Navy is keeping so of the traditions alive. I just wonder if the Shellback initation will last in the 21st century. :P

One can only hope some traditions will survive for the next generation, but the way the Navy is going everything is uncertain.

man I envy you, I always wanted to see water go in the opposite Directin when you flush it :P

Happy memorial Day, and stay safe

I think as long as there is a navy the tradition will survive. It is one of those things that brings a ship together in a real and literal sense. It builds that espirit de corps that a ship needs to function at it's peak if you will. That little bit of sanctioned and shared insanity brings a crew together. :P

I really do hope so the traditions are kept alive, but only time will tell.

I have left Darwin and heading towards my next port visit. There will be a short underway time. :assimilated:

No, I don't get to take shore leave, but I do get some time off from work. I will have one day inport where I have to work and the rest I am off.

I really had a bad nightmare last night. The dream was about me standing watching on the bridge. Doing what I normally do, and the chart did something very weird. That is when I woke-up from the dream. For a brief moment I didn't know that where I was and how I got to bed. There was also a small fear that I should have been on the bridge standing watch. :assimilated:

Yeah, but for those couple of seconds there was some fear that I should have been on the bridge. :assimilated:

Last night the ship was rocking really badly. I got sea sick for the first time during this deployment. The worst part about it is the whole ship know about it.