Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odie

Odie's Personal Log

Congratulations on requalifying to stand watch on the bridge! That should be more interesting than most watches.

One more movie story. During my full cruise we left Hong Kong early because of a couple typhoons in the area. We went out to sea to maneuver away from them. While on the edge of two typhoons we still went about our business and still had movies. I had, either by design or chance, the experience of watching the Posieden Adventure in our Squadron Ready Room while the carrier rocked and rolled! A truly unforgettable experience movie experience! :tear:

Thanks, trekz and deadmeatsecurityguy. I am no longer in a port and stbd watch rotation. :tear: It got very old on the first day.

With the port and stbd watch my schedule went like this:

0530: Alarm wakes me up.

0545: Get out of my rack (That is what the Navy call's a bed.)

0600: Eat breakfast

0630: Go on watch on the Bridge

0700: Prepare for my first report to the Captain

1100: Prepare for my second report to the Captain

1130: Get relieved from my watch

1130: Lunch

1300: Go back to my work center

1530: Get ready for my next watch

1600: Dinner

1630: Go watch on the Bridge

1900: Prepare for my last report to the Captain

2330: Get relieved from my watch

2400: Go to bed

That was before I got re-quilified for my watch for my watch. Next time I will tell my new schedule. That is when I get more sleep.

I am now in Japan. Again. Well a differnt part. The ship won't stay long.

Most watches are pure tedium occasionally interrupted by a momentary bit of panic. In my case it would be someone needs stitches. But Bridgewatch requires that you actuall maintain concentration on your job because if you don't things can go awry in minutes if not faster. I was always thankful I was a corpsman because even when you had a serious injury to treat there was usually a lot of down time during the watch

Most common injury failure to duck sufficiently going through ships hatches. Those knife edges do a number on the scalp.

There maybe no downtime on the bridge, but once the ship is in the open ocean it can get very slow. There will be days when we don't see other ships. I am glad that we are in 3 watch sections on the bridge.

Most watches are pure tedium occasionally interrupted by a momentary bit of panic.  In my case it would be someone needs stitches.  But Bridgewatch requires that you actuall maintain concentration on your job because if you don't things can go awry in minutes if not faster.  I was always thankful I was a corpsman because even when you had a serious injury to treat there was usually a lot of down time during the watch

Most common injury failure to duck sufficiently going through ships hatches.  Those knife edges do a number on the scalp.

324853[/snapback]

Those and ingrown toenails, according to my sister in law. I wonder, has anyone ever actually broken a bone on one of those kneeknockers?

On my first ship once the coffin locker lid hit my hand so hard it fracture my finger. The frature was very small, but it hurt like h.ell for a few days. The funny thing was right after the lid drop on my hand and after I yelled and scream in pain someone had ask if I was alright. The only thing I said at that time was other than my finger having a fracture I am fine. :blink:

TheFailure to duck thing seemed universal. We'd get sailors and marines in sickbay to get thier noggins patched. We'd even get the occasional veteran sailor whod forgot and rammed his head on a hatch edge. We got broken bones when people tried to go over the ladders with out using the steps like you see in the movies. Most injuries happened because some one did something dopey.,or forgot to be careful doing thier jobs

When I was at a dispensary for an artillery battalion the most frequent injury was lacerations and broken bones from people getting thier hands caught in the breech, blocks of the 105's

When I broke my finger it was about time for the liberty call. I've got looks saying why did have to break your finger now! Yeah, like I wanted my finger to be broken before I go on liberty myself so can be late for my date.

When I broke my finger it was about time for the liberty call.  I've got looks saying why did have to break your finger now!  Yeah, like I wanted my finger to be broken before I go on liberty myself so can be late for my date.

324953[/snapback]

Sorry to hear about your finger. :thumbs: And bad timing, too. :P Hope no one thought you planned it that way! :)

When I broke my finger it was about time for the liberty call.  I've got looks saying why did have to break your finger now!  Yeah, like I wanted my finger to be broken before I go on liberty myself so can be late for my date.

324953[/snapback]

I hope in the great tradition of sailors on liberty, you waited to get your finger treated, until you got back off of liberty.

Ona a side note: Doesn't Cinderella liberty suck?

No, my finger looked bad enough so the treated it on the spot. The fracture itself was very small as they told me. It all took them a few minutes tape it up.

I am in my second port visit and it is Japan. I am not spending much time in Japan because I still have lots of work to do. The good news is that I am almost catching up with the paper work. I hope between now and my next port it won't change that much.

324953[/snapback]

I hope in the great tradition of sailors on liberty, you waited to get your finger treated, until you got back off of liberty.

Ona a side note: Doesn't Cinderella liberty suck?

325075[/snapback]

Yeah, it sucks big time. E-4 and below have it worse in 7th Fleet. They must have liberety cards to get off the base.

I have always wanted to visit Japan

325273[/snapback]

Japan is a nice country with polite people. Since I have lived here for the last 3 years I really didn't go out as much as someone who was never been to the country.

I spent about 8 months on Okinawa. It was a wierd time. The US had just ceded governance of the island, back to Japan. It was not a popular descision. They had been hoping for independence. So there was a bit of the Yankee go home stuff. But all in all the people were really pretty good to us.

A number of marathon pub crawls there are my chief memories of the place.(the begginnings of them are memorable anyway) Face it Marine bases are't real scenic, or for that matter much fun at all

Now the Phillipines are a whole 'nuther story. Not for mixed company however.

Odie keep up the good work and take good care of yourself. Enjoy it as much as possible>

Someday when I am almost at the point where I am little a head of the charts than I can start to enjoy the deployment.

I have left Japan and heading towards the next port visit soon. It will be very different from Japan. :thumbs:

I don't lnow what you like to read. But If you like to read techno thriller/mystery/suspense novels. I would reccomend anything by P.T. Deutermann..

He is a graduate of the Naval Academy and writes pretty realistic military themed thrillers. they are worth a shot. Have you ever seen Mystic River, If you've seen the movie try the books by Dennis Lehane They are good.

I have seen the movie and I really like it. I might read his novels when I can get to a book store at my next port visit. The ship's liberary doesn't have his novels.

Today my division had a zone inspection. Zone inspection is when the CO, XO, and whom ever is assigned to the inspection the spaces (rooms) that my division is responsible to keep the maintance on. We did very well in the inspection. The CO was impressed that spaces where kept up with undermanning in my division. Tomorrow will be the uniform inspection. I hope we do well on it tomorrow. :laugh:

Today my division had a zone inspection.  Zone inspection is when the CO, XO, and whom ever is assigned to the inspection the spaces (rooms) that my division is responsible to keep the maintance on.  We did very well in the inspection.  The CO was impressed that spaces where kept up with undermanning in my division.  Tomorrow will be the uniform inspection.  I hope we do well on it tomorrow.  :laugh:

325696[/snapback]

Good luck tomorrow.

Everything went well for my division with the uniform inspection, and now its the paper work inspection. Fun! :laugh:

i think I am the only person alive that has fun filling out and putting nto order papework, I find it fun

Everything went well for my division with the uniform inspection, and now its the paper work inpection.  Fun!  :laugh:

325960[/snapback]

Aint the Navy a barrel of laughs. I'm sure as long as they haven't drastically altered the way the paperwork is supposed to be done, you should skate through nicely. Lots of luck Odie-san

I am not the one getting the paper work done. Other people from different division are doing it. I just have to collect them, which can take a day or two.

Well use your best Respect my Authoritayt voice and warn them: Screw ups that make you look bad are evil. Making QM1 Odie look good is a good thing, and lessens strife. Old chinese proverb...It is!