Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kor37

Kor's Log

Well, my son is all moved in at the University of Maine. The plane rides up were a bit harrowing though. The trip from Baltimore to Philadelphia was on a small USAIR commuter plane. It was a propeller plane powered by what I believe was a large rubber band..........

Riding in a plane like that is like being on a roller coaster. From Philadelphia to Maine was a bit better. We rode in a small jet. It was a lot smoother than the propeller plane.

It was mostly work in Maine getting my son moved into his dorm but we did have 1 free day where we drove down to Bar Harbor on the coast. We took a tour boat ride and ate lobster. That was a lot of fun.

Coming home without our son was a bit emotional. We are sad that hes no longer living here yet proud of how is is facing this huge change in his life. It helps that he calls home every day. I'm sure that won't last too long though as he gets into his school schedule.

Good for him. I am in a 2 year college now, so I will not be in Dorms lol. But, from the way things look like you are better off renting an apartment than living in dorms. Dorm life is expesive.

Here's a lesson in why you should never neglect your parents when they get old......

"Bill" has been working for me since the day I started my business 10 years ago. He is 63 years old. A very grandfatherly kind of guy. About a year ago, Bill's wife died of cancer. Since then, hes been all alone. He has a son and daughter who basically ignore him. Neither of them has called him for months.

Yesterday, Bill didn't show up for work. Hes usually the first one there. I called his house...no answer. I went to his house and knocked on the door....no answer. After work, I again called his house and some strange guy answered. He told me that Bill ahd been arrested. I asked him what for and also who he was but he wouldn't tell me. I called the police station and found out that Bill had been arrested for possession with the intent to distribute cocaine! I was stunned. This is like finding out that your grandmother was a prostitute or something. I knew something was wrong with this. I called Bill's son's house and asked him if he knew what was going on. He said he knew but other than going over to his father's house to pick up his dog, he wasn't getting involved. Nice kid......everybody should have a son or daughter like that, right?

Since nobody was doing anything for this poor guy, I went down to the police station and bailed him out. His bail was $10,000. You have to put up 10% so it cost me $1000 to get him out of jail.

We went back to his house and it was trashed. The police had torn the house apart. We sat down and he told me his story.

After his wife died, Bill was pretty lonely, especially since his kids don't bother with him. After awhile, he met up with this 35 year old woman that apparently showed some interest in him. Remember, Bill is 63. Apparently, she smoked crack and started doing it in his house. She also gave him some...well....you know......."comfort". After awhile, she started bring other people into his house to smoke crack. Then they convinced this old guy to buy crack for them. Before he knew it, his house was a crack house. They were doing drugs and selling drugs out of his house. His "girlfriend" had a key to his house but it seemed as though all of her friends had the run of the house too. He was in tears telling me all of this while realizing how stupid and gullible he had been. Apparently, the neighbors realized what was going on and called the police. They watched the house for weeks before breaking in and arresting him.

While we were talking, he noticed his TV and VCR were missing. I told him that for sure the police didn't take it. Most likely it was one of his new "friends". I told him that I called his house several times that day and that there was a guy that kept answering the phone. Most likely, he was the one that stole it. While we were discussing this, I heard someone using a key to enter the back door. I told Bill that this is most likely the guy that was answering his phone all day. Poor Bill didn't even realize this guy had a key to his house. After opening the door, this guy used a piece of wood to prop it open. At this point, this guy didn't realize anyone was home. I pointed this out and told Bill I have no doubt that this is the guy who stole his TV and VCR and he was now coming back to clean out the rest of his house. This guy came into the kitchen where we were sitting and was surprised that Bill was home. He then launched into all of this fake concern for him and how sorry he was that he got arrested and how glad he was that he was ok. I was literally shaking in anger. This guy was a typical crackhead who couldn't care less about Bill. This guy then proceeded to make himself at home. I told Bill that he had to be strong and get these people out of his life. I went over to the guy and told him that he had to go. He asked me who the hell I was. I told him that I was the guy that was throwing him out of this house. I took his picture with my camera phone and told him that if he ever came back, I would report him to the police. I then physically grabbed this guy by the arm and threw him out. That being done, Bill and I finished our chat. He now realizes what a fool he had been to be taken in by this woman and her friends. He is changing the locks on his door and changing his phone number. I'm also getting him a lawyer because he has a preliminery hearing in about 2 weeks.

I'm not condoning anything that Bill did and am still shocked that it went to the extent that it did before he wised up but I sorta can understand it. Some people when they get up in age and lose their life partner get very lonely. These people are prime victims for scam artists and other forms of filth. When your parents get old, they need you just like you needed them when you were young. Don't neglect them!

Why MB.......you have actually made me blush..... :blush 2: .......and thats pretty hard to do!

:laugh:

Well I only tell the truth, and that post doesn't eloquently say everything that was in my heart when I read what you did for that man.

Too many people, just like his children, don't go out of the way to help anyone anymore.

I find it is a mark of a great individual who would do something as you did.

Well....I don't deserve it but thank you so much for your kind words. You really touched me. ...........dammit!.....I'm all choked up now....

Busy day today. I have interviews scheduled later because I have to fill a few positions that are now vacant. At 3:30, I have a business meeting scheduled. So far I have been renting the warehouse that my people work out of. I'm having a meeting because I now want to buy the warehouse outright.

I called "Bill" a few times during the day yesterday to see how he is doing. So far its quiet. None of his former "buddies" have tried to come into his house. He has also changed the locks on his door and has a meeting with a lawyer this afternoon. I reminded him to change his phone number also.

Later this afternoon, I am sending one of my drivers down to New Orleans with a truckload of generators. I donated the use of the truck and my driver for the job. Thats my little contribution to the relief effort.

Well....I don't deserve it but thank you so much for your kind words. You really touched me. ...........dammit!.....I'm all choked up now....

352480[/snapback]

Yes, you do deserve it Kor!! :laugh:

You constantly go out of your way to help others, and chose to do what is right, not what is easy.

You are definitely someone who deserves to be admired.

I had my meeting with the company that owns the warehouse I want to buy. I think we will make a deal but another meeting is needed to clarify some details.

Nobody showed up for their interview today. I hate that. Why do people schedule a job interview if they don't want the job? A real waste of my time.

I got home just in time to eat some crab soup for dinner and now its time to hit the sack cause I gotta get up for work again in 6 1/2 hours.

Bill met with the lawyer yesterday and got good news. According to the lawyer, with Bill's age and his clean record, he will definitely not get any jail time. In fact, the lawyer is pretty sure that he can get Bill a PBJ (Probation Before Judgement). This means that none of this will go on his record. As long as he doesn't get into anymore trouble and regularly sees his probation officer, his record will remain clean. If he gets in trouble again during the probationary period, the case will get revisited and he will be in big trouble. The lawyer also recommended Bill attend grief counceling. He said it would look good in front of the judge. I told him that I thought that was a great idea since the fact that he never did allow himself to grieve properly after the death of his wife probably caused all of his problems anyway.

It brought to mind when I went to the funeral home when Bill's wife died. He never shed a tear. I thought that was odd at the time but didn't give it any further thought. In retrospect, Bill was just like the kid in TNG that lost his parents and latched onto Data. Except in Bill's case, he latched onto a crackhead HO.

Bill does seem to be his old self again and he is doing much better at work......much to my relief!

Bad news yesterday. I got a call from my driver Bill's daughter-in-law. Bill has suffered a heart attack and is in the intensive care unit in the hospital. It gets worse. Apparently Bill is continuing to display poor judgement and had let his crackhead HO girlfriend back into his house after being advised not to by everyone he knows including his lawyer. Details are sketchy right now but apparently an incident occurred at the house involving Bill getting beat up by some of his girlfriend's buddies. From what I'm told, he has a black eye and has internal bleeding. Apparently he suffered the heart attack after the beating.

I'm going to call the hospital in a little bit and see if he is allowed any visitors. If he is, I'll go up and see him today and see if I can get the whole story out of him.

I'm trying to stick with Bill but if he continues to make these bad decisions , I might have to bail on him. I want to be supportive but I also have a business to run. Lord only knows when he will recover enough to return to work so I might have to give his job away. I won't decide this until I know exactly what the circumstances are.

If he recovers and wants to come back to work, I would have no problem with it on the condition that he get his life in order. I can't tell him not to see this woman anymore. He has to decide that for himself. Apparently he has some feelings for her. I'm positive that the only feelings she has are for his checkbook.

I'll post more details as I get them.

I snuck in the hospital to see my driver Bill today. I told the nurse that I was his stepson..lol. Anyway, Bill is trying to say that he fell and hit his head on a table. Thats how he says he got his black eye. Nobody believes him including his doctor. The doctor said he was beat up. I tend to agree.

Since the front door to his house is hanging open, I got Bill to give me the key to his back door. Then I got 2 other guys and went down to the house to see if any of his former "buddies" were there. I was hoping that they were since I haven't had time for a workout lately. We checked all of the rooms and the house was empty and all of Bill's stuff was still there. Then we got some wood and nailed the front door shut so nobody can come in. Next I went to the hardware store and got a new lock and deadbolt for his back door. The house should now be secure.

I think this poor man must be so lonely, he'll take any kind of attention he can get.

Kor, you don't mention whether or not his kids came to see him after the heart attack. Have they decided that he could use their help now? :nono:

I think this poor man must be so lonely, he'll take any kind of attention he can get.

Kor, you don't mention whether or not his kids came to see him after the heart attack.  Have they decided that he could use their help now? :nono:

352989[/snapback]

From what I hear, his son came but all they did was argue and the son was asked to leave. His daughter has also visited him. They seem to get along ok. I'm hoping his daughter realizes that he really needs her in his life right now.

What a heartbreaking story about Bill; you're a decent man to do so much for him - can't say I've worked many places with a boss like you.

I hope he can work things out - I guess it's like an addiction - people will hang on to anyone to avoid being lonely.

The crack HO part might not be so common but the "check book" chasers apparently are quite common for elderly men who have lost a spouse.

You are such a kind an giving person. You will go far in life. I thank you for all the kinds words you have told me in my log. I will always support you no matter what!

I've been really busy this past week. I'm really short-handed at work and it seems that all I do is interview people for jobs.

Bill is back to work full-time and seems to be doing ok. He is still worried about his former associates coming over to his house. Hes been getting some threatening phone calls. One of my other drivers went over to his house today and spent some time with him to make sure he was ok.

Anyone interested in seeing Paul McCartney on 10/8? It will be in Washington DC. I've had this extra ticket for awhile now and I find it amazing that I can't find anyone who wants it. Plus the best part would be that...........you would be sitting next to ME!...lol

Wow. I can't believe its been this long since I posted in here!

Anyway, a lot has been going on. I finalized my purchase of the warehouse I had been renting. I'm now the owner rather than the leaser.... :(

It set me back a bit but it will save me money in the long run.

I went to see Paul McCartney on Saturday night. What a great concert! He did a lot of Beatles and Wings stuff. The only weird thing was that I had this extra ticket that I couldn't get rid of so I got there early and figured I'd sell it to someone. I wasn't looking to make a profit. Basically I was going to give it to someone for whatever they wanted to give me for it. I just didn't want to see it go to waste. A policeman approached me and told me that selling tickets outside of the arena was illegal. I explained to him that I wasn't scalping. I was basically just giving it away. He told me that it didn't matter. It was still illegal. Anybody heard of something like that? So the ticket went to waste.

Anyone wondering how Bill is doing, so far so good. He has his preliminary hearing next week where it is expected that all charges will be dropped and he will get some form of probation. He is also seeing a psychiatrist which I think is a good thing. It seems to be helping him. He almost seems to be back to his old rascally self!

Still shorthanded at work. I hired 3 people last week. Still gotta see if they will last or not. I still need to hire 2 more people. I thought there was some sort of job shortage in this country? Can't tell around here. Nobody seems to want a job.

Anyway, thats it for now.

I went to visit my car today. 3/4 of it is finished and ready to paint. The back quarter panels still need to be done. Maybe I'll get the car back by this time next year.............. :klingon:

For those of you interested in the ongoing saga of Bill...........He had his preliminary hearing yesterday. He did get indicted but that was to be expected due to the serious nature of the charge. His lawyer assures him that there is no chance that he will get any jail time. Bill had another weird adventure today. I swear, this guy is 63 years old yet sometimes I feel as though I'm dealing with a teenager. Anyway, I asked my assistant to check up on him this morning. My assistant calls me and tells me that he sees no evidence that Bill had made his deliveries. Further searches of his route turned up no sign of him. I had a hunch and called the hospital. Sure enough, Bill was there but ready to be released. He told us that he had gotten out of his truck and when he shut the truck door, he accidently........lol......I know I shouldn't laugh but........slammed the door into his er......."private part"....... :klingon:.......which then got swollen and turned black and blue..... B) ........I'm sorry....I know I shouldn't laugh but I can't help it. I am really pissed off though that he didn't call anyone when this happened. This is what awaits Bill when I see him tommorrow morning..... :bash:

- Still trying to find people that want to work. Its never been this hard to find workers before!... :)

- Still don't have my car. Maybe it will be done by NEXT summer....... :blush: ..

- I got a nice postcard in the mail today from fellow STFN member Krysis. Hes the guy who lives in Malaysia tha I sent the Trek books to. It was very nice of him to send the postcard.

I went to visit my car today. 3/4 of it is finished and ready to paint. The back quarter panels still need to be done. Maybe I'll get the car back by this time next year.............. :laugh:

For those of you interested in the ongoing saga of Bill...........He had his preliminary hearing yesterday. He did get indicted but that was to be expected due to the serious nature of the charge. His lawyer assures him that there is no chance that he will get any jail time. Bill had another weird adventure today. I swear, this guy is 63 years old yet sometimes I feel as though I'm dealing with a teenager. Anyway, I asked my assistant to check up on him this morning. My assistant calls me and tells me that he sees no evidence that Bill had made his deliveries. Further searches of his route turned up no sign of him. I had a hunch and called the hospital. Sure enough, Bill was there but ready to be released. He told us that he had gotten out of his truck and when he shut the truck door, he accidently........lol......I know I shouldn't laugh but........slammed the door into his er......."private part"....... :hug:.......which then got swollen and turned black and blue..... :hug: ........I'm sorry....I know I shouldn't laugh but I can't help it. I am really pissed off though that he didn't call anyone when this happened. This is what awaits Bill when I see him tommorrow morning..... :bash:

358268[/snapback]

:(

I'm afraid to ask why his "private part" was able to be caught in the door. :lol: :( :hug:

I went to visit my car today. 3/4 of it is finished and ready to paint. The back quarter panels still need to be done. Maybe I'll get the car back by this time next year.............. :laugh:

For those of you interested in the ongoing saga of Bill...........He had his preliminary hearing yesterday. He did get indicted but that was to be expected due to the serious nature of the charge. His lawyer assures him that there is no chance that he will get any jail time. Bill had another weird adventure today. I swear, this guy is 63 years old yet sometimes I feel as though I'm dealing with a teenager. Anyway, I asked my assistant to check up on him this morning. My assistant calls me and tells me that he sees no evidence that Bill had made his deliveries. Further searches of his route turned up no sign of him. I had a hunch and called the hospital. Sure enough, Bill was there but ready to be released. He told us that he had gotten out of his truck and when he shut the truck door, he accidently........lol......I know I shouldn't laugh but........slammed the door into his er......."private part"....... :(.......which then got swollen and turned black and blue..... :hug: ........I'm sorry....I know I shouldn't laugh but I can't help it. I am really pissed off though that he didn't call anyone when this happened. This is what awaits Bill when I see him tommorrow morning..... :bash:

358268[/snapback]

I'm afraid to ask why his "private part" was able to be caught in the door.

359913[/snapback]

:hug: Sorry, I shouldn't laugh. :( *Bursts out* :hug: :lol:

I'm afraid to ask why his "private part" was able to be caught in the door

This is as yet a mystery that has yet to be solved.......................

359924[/snapback]

359924[/snapback]

I think this man needs help Kor.

I laughed too Cara, but if I were a guy, I think I'd have cringed in pain!! :(

Things are starting to get a little better. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. A few of the new people I hired have been working out. I still need to hire 2 more people but I'm starting to get more people showing up for interviews so I might get lucky.

As for Bill, he seems to be back on track. He even conspired with the bailbonds man to trap the woman who got him into all this trouble. She had apparently planned to miss her court date so Bill invited her to Denny's for breakfast on the day of her trial. When she showed up, the bailbonds man and a bounty hunter put her in handcuffs and took her to court. The judge initially sentenced her to 9 months but when she started to protest a bit too loudly, he increased it to 18 months. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Bill is still seeing a psychiatrist and it appears to be helping him.

I'm dreading Thanksgiving this year. Normally, we go to my in-laws house for Thanksgiving. However, this year they are in the process of moving so its going to be at my house.... :) .

Not only are all of my wife's brothers (5 of them!) coming WITH their families, I just found out that all of my sisters are coming as well. Its rare when all of my sisters get together in 1 place. 1 lives in Vancouver,Washington and the other 2 live in Minnesota. My son is also coming home from college for Thanksgiving. This is his first visit home after leaving for college. I was really hoping that we would be able to spend some time together but that idea looks shot. I really don't mind all of my family coming over but they never seem to understand that I have to get up at 2:00 AM for work. When they come over, they NEVER leave! :drool: ...So I foresee no sleep that whole weekend...

:)