Sign in to follow this  
krysis

What do your families think?

I'm the only one in my family... neighbourhood... ring of buddies... at work, church..... who loves Star Trek. My da doesn't watch TV unless its news. My ma watches anyting but Star Trek. She thinks I'm a Star Trek fanatic. My brother watches other things.

My wife thinks I need help. When we had our son, I wanted to name him either Jean Luc or James Kirk. She utterly refused. I tried Hikaru and Pavel, and she thinks I'm really nuts. We settled for Jacob. :wacko:

My son is ... well, I'll be introducing Star Trek when he starts talking. My friends also think I'm nuts. The only friend I have who watches Star Trek only watches it because he wants to own every episode with Seven. Heck the bloke wants to own her. Its a lonely world here. At least she's agreed to buy me USS Enterprise (the model) this Christmas :waaaa:

My sister in law says I should join StarTrekFan Annonymous... lol

What about you all? What do your families think about Star Trek? How did you get hooked to it? :wacko:

My family has pretty much accepted that I'm 'crazy about Star Trek'.. :waaaa: I've been hooked for a long time. I first discovered Star Trek 30 years ago when I was a young teenager..I was in a hobby shop and they had the TV on..Star Trek was on..I was intriqued to say the least..I am the only member of my family that is that into it..My brother and parents like Trek..They're just not fanatical about it like me. In fact my brother went with me to Star Trek: The Experience in April..I was in trekkie heaven... :wacko:

Now people at my work..That's another question..You would not believe the strange wierd looks I get.. :wacko:

My family know i am nuts about startrek when i lived at home my little sis used to tease me by doing the vulcan hand and saying stuff like beam me up danny boy :waaaa: which was cute when she was about 6 but now its getting out of hand when i call my moms and she answers the phone and i ask to speak to my mom she replys AYE AYE captain :wacko: :wacko:

My parent introduce me to Star Trek when took the family to see a the first movie. They are not big fans themselves. They are still surprised that I am still a fan. My father told me he thought I would out grow it by now.

Hang, I love your sis's humor. "Aye, Aye Captain" Now that's funny! :wacko: : :wacko: :waaaa:

Hm, my Mom is rolling her eyes when she catches me watching my TNG DVDs. She says she sometimes feels like Jean-Luc Picard is living with us here :wacko:

But she accepts it and I'm glad about that, it could be worse. The only thing she demands is "No Star Trek items outside your room. Not in MY apartment. I'm not living on a starship." ( :look: )

My two best friends aren't into Star Trek, but they know that I love TNG and they just leave it to that, they sometimes ask "How's Jean-Luc" or something, but that's all. :wacko:

And at work... well, I wear my TNG shirt at university and no one cares. :waaaa:

My Dad and brother think Trek and TV is a big waste of time. (Like my brother sticking his head under the hood of a car half his life is a noble cause :lol:

My Mom supports me, she always said Trek gave me good values and said there was allot of worse things I could be into. I love my Mommy! :wacko:

My wife was always into TNG, but not a hard core fan, she has gone to Convenetinons with me and had a good time, but had a good laugh at what she calls Trek nerds :waaaa: Sometimes we play Klingon! :look: She did however let me name our second daughter Beverly Deanne which pleased me greatly. Now that my daughter is old enouph she don't like it though! My kids really like Star Wars and LOTR they watch ENT with me sometimes.

As for my co-workers they all think I'm weird but I really don't care! :wacko:

Guest Ktrek

Well, I've been watching Star Trek since I was 10 years old. That's 38 years now! I've always been a fan but not much of a collector of Star Trek until about 10 years ago when I started collecting Star Trek books. I now have between 500 to 600 I would estimate.

My Mom mostly humors me about my love for Star Trek. The rest of my family just have no clue!

My wife loves Star Trek and is willing to watch it anytime that I want to. So no problems there.

At work there are two people who are fans but not as much as I am. I bumped into someone from another department yesterday who is a huge fan so now I have another friend on campus! :waaaa: :wacko:

Our neighbors just go "oh" and look at us kind of strange.

I really gave up long ago worrying what people think about me and my love of Star Trek. In my opinion if someone doesn't love the show it's only because they have never really given it a chance and gotten to know the characters.

I hope Trek lives long and prospers!

Kevin

I don't have any family to cast dispersions on MY love for Star Trek. And you know what? I have learned to keep my mouth shut around everyone else. People are all too ready and willing to 'P*ss' all over it. If you find something in your life that you enjoy and it makes you happy, keep it to yourself. Non Trekkies seem to look at us like we are Aliens. If we love it, SO WHAT??? :wacko: There are alot worse things we could be doing or thinking about. This is good, clean fun and some of the best people I have ever met I have met right here. :waaaa:

I don't have any family to cast dispersions on MY love for Star Trek. And you know what? I have learned to keep my mouth shut around everyone else. People are all too ready and willing to 'P*ss' all over it. If you find something in your life that you enjoy and it makes you happy, keep it to yourself. Non Trekkies seem to look at us like we are Aliens. If we love it, SO WHAT??? :wacko: There are alot worse things we could be doing or thinking about. This is good, clean fun and some of the best people I have ever met I have met right here. :lol:

261865[/snapback]

No family? We're your family Jeanway :waaaa: :wacko: :look:

I don't have any family to cast dispersions on MY love for Star Trek. And you know what? I have learned to keep my mouth shut around everyone else. People are all too ready and willing to 'P*ss' all over it. If you find something in your life that you enjoy and it makes you happy, keep it to yourself. Non Trekkies seem to look at us like we are Aliens. If we love it, SO WHAT??? :wacko: There are alot worse things we could be doing or thinking about. This is good, clean fun and some of the best people I have ever met I have met right here. :)

261865[/snapback]

No family? We're your family Jeanway :waaaa: :wacko: :look:

261866[/snapback]

I am sorry you had such a bad experience. It is to bad the people that you know gave you a hard time about Star Trek. The person that I am seeing right is not really much of a fan, but is willing to accept that I am a fan. :lol:

I have been watching Star Trek for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid my mom used to watch TOS and that's how I got hooked. Growing up I was one of the re-run junkies that followed it around. Trek has been a very important part of my life and everyone in my family acknowledges it, although some think that Star Wars and Star Trek are the same thing. When my wife and I were dating it was during the run of TNG, she would catch some of the episodes and she even likes some of the characters, but she's not a fan. During the first runs of TNG, DS9, and Voyager I scheduled everything around Trek (my wife hated that part). My bestfriend respects my love for Trek and doesn't think less of me for it. At work I have a 9inch Data Figure on my desk (holding his Tricorder), I also have my Trek Calendar on my desk. Everyone at work knows that I like Trek and have never made negative remarks about it, actually My boss's all-time-favorite Movie is STII- He loves Kahn! My 4-year old is starting to like Star Trek too. He already recognizes the characters, he comes up to me and asks "Daddy can I watch Star Trek with you?" I have a huge collection of the Playmates figures which my son has no Idea they exsist, because they are stored in containers waiting to be released once I've completed the room I'm preparing for them. I can't wait til that day comes, and I'm a bit nervous at what his response will be... Because if he opens one package or box.....

I was raised by Trek fans, so I didn't have much choice in the matter :waaaa: . They took me to a convention (my only one) when I was about seven, and Mom even made me a TNG uniform (again, when I was a little kid. I'm not talking last week. :wacko: ).

She's still as into it she always was, though she'd rather watch TNG reruns than Enterprise.

Only a few friends know, but they couldn't care less. I guess I'm not a very open Trek fan. I'm not ashamed of it, but I don't really ever mention it in public; it just doesn't come up.

My family has always considered me to be strange. To them my interest in Star Trek is just a part of my strangeness.

Everyone in my familylikes Star Trek to one degree or another, so no one thinks it's odd. Of course, I'm the only member of the family to create a website devoted to Star Trek but they all think it's pretty cool and don't look at it as odd either. lol

I guess most of family figures they can buy me a Christmas present with Star Trek on it and they can't go wrong (calendars, mugs, Star Trek Uno).

The other day a little niece (5) was looking at some of my dolls and I have a Captain Picard figure - she just said "my daddy would like that" and she says she's seen Star Trek. It amazes me that these little girls are familiar with the term alien. Did I tell my story?

Click For Spoiler
one little one's dad had drawn an alien with tendrils and a helmet. I said "oh look at the spaceman." She looked at me and said reprovingly, "that's not a spaceman - it's an alien" Oh, my mistake

I've gotten my co-worker into Stargate. And another co-worker is into more horror than scifi. (and yeah, we're all middle aged women)

Very few of my friends are into Star Trek, actually only one comes to mind at the moment. My uncle really likes it too and is the only member of my family who does. There's a bit of friendly banter about Star Trek when it comes up but i assure that Trek always comes out on top.

My Mom strongly disapproves. She likes Star Trek herself, and liked it a lot when she was younger, but never as much as me. She thinks it has turned in an "obsession," and has taken over my life. She says I should be interested in several things and not adjust every little thing in my life to be Trek. TSonofvulcan is the one who introduced me to Star Trek and he loves it even more than me, so she thinks he is a bad influence (in that regard at least). My Dad just teases me- for example, he knows that I either want to be the Empress of Romulus or the Chairman of the Tal Shiar, so he calls me "empress," but in a sort of mocking way. My little sister is embarrassed to be seen with me. Everyone knows I am a nerd and she is a popular cheerleader... She disapproves too. Everyone at school thinks I am "weird" and at my old school, they were downright mean to me for it. I have not exactly had good experiences, but it just goes to show how closed-minded people were a few hundred years ago- uh, now. Were it not for TSon... But then, I have always been "weird" so no big deal in my opinion.

My family does like Trek to a point...my mom likes to watch it, but is like 'it's just a TV show'

My dad acts like he dislikes most of it, but if you put it on he'll be watching before the end of the episode.

My sisters are almost as obessed as I am, but I'm the only one to hang out in Trek message board and RPG groups

Of course...outside of just watching the show it's another thing, we have alot of ongoing Trek related jokes...including the one that I am going to take over the Universe using nothing but Tribbles (and maybe some Cardassian re enforcements, lol) Hence the reason for Tribbles in my banner

So I guess you could say that my family is pretty tolerant of Trek, but if they knew how much time I spent doing Trek stuff online they would definatly think I was wasting my time....and they definatly would think it a waste if I started buying all the Trek stuff...though I might start to on my own anyway....

Most of my family do not watch Trek, but my father has always been understanding about it as he knows that it is my one link with my deceased older brother. As for work, well pretty much everyone I would with is into Trek, Stargate and anything else Sci Fi and many are members of the boards so that works out well, and I live with two coworkers who are big fans.

Nobody in my family likes startrek i am the only one who watch's it,my dad thinks its a waste of time and the things what happen in it are to far fetched.

My sister and i are the only ones in our family of six children who like star trek. My husband thinks im a nerd and my mates and my other relations just roll there eyes at me, like the other day when i recived my star trek watch ( it plays the theme tune...its so cool ) that i bought on e-bay, mum and dad both said....oh...good grief and gave me a strange look.

But thats ok, my four year old daughter does the vulcan sign and quotes " live long and prosper " and im slowly getting her into watching it with me.

The other day we were in the video shop and she came running up to me doing the vulcan sign, yelling mummy...look what i found and i am very pleased to say that is was the Trekkies dvd.

But i dont care what people think of my love for star trek, its my way of escaping the every day life and escaping into the arms of Captain Jean luc Picard.. :wow::wow:

Hmmmm, my mum doesn't really see the point in science-fiction... Usually she's watching ShopNBC, QVC, HSN, etc... ..Or Lifetime..

My father enjoys it... (Star Trek I mean). To a certain extent.

He mostly reads science fiction and fantasy (and the various mixes..), and certain types of romance..

He doesn't really watch TOS, since it is old and he claimed he saw most of them already. And he calls D.S. Nine a "soap opera".

My little brother is into surrealist art, and Tim Burton movies. Although he takes on the title of: "Trekker".

I don't know what my cat thinks. But I don't really see any antagonism towards it from my family.

lastresort.jpg42.gif

When I was eight years old, I started getting into TNG...So then my parents helped fuel my love of Star Trek by renting the first five movies and the Star Wars Trilogy...Amazingly enough, I loved the Star Trek movies better than the Star Wars movies....

So I became more hooked on TNG and TOS as my parents actually liked my interest since they both were familiar with it and started buying me cool Star Trek things for me for Christmas and my birthday...

The rest of my family thought it was neat and my friends I had at that time thought it was neat, too...

My cousins in New Mexico loved my action figures that I brought down with me when we visited...

No one really thought it was odd til around high school but they didn't think I was odd for being a fan...Just the series's.

I was introduced to Star Trek at a very young age apparently I used to watch re-runs of the original series with my Mum and Grandad. I must have only been about four at the time so I don't remember.

I have been lucky because my whole family likes Trek. When I was young we were always getting the movies out on video. I watched them all too many times to count. When TNG started we watched every episode the same with DS9 Voyager and now Enterprise.

It was odd because when my sister met my now brother in law we found out he too is a massive Trek fan.

My friends think i'm strange because they don't "get it" but they don't give me a hard time.

Trek has always been there for me in one form or another, whenever I have had problems I could lose myself in another world for fifty minutes. It's great stress relief IMO.

I convinced my family to watch Star Trek. I also got them to go to 2 conventions... :wacko: :P

As a child growing up I wasn't suppose to read any fiction, comic books, magazines, and stories books were taken if my mother found the contents of them not to her approval. My eldest brother was 9 years older than me and married shortly after his 18th birthday. He invited me over to read his sci-fiction books as much as I wanted and took me to see the Star Trek movies and at the time Star Wars too!

When I first married Daniel, he was a little disappointed that I was taught to read, but he didn't know me very well when we married. (It was kind of arranged.) Later I told him I studied English at college. Daniel is now very use to my interest in StarTrek and will accompany me to movies and when I was very sick with the Endometriosis and was recovering from an operation he went and bought me every Star Trek book at the local book store. :wacko:

I recently returned from visiting my folks in Florida, mother is still very strict about the books she has in her house but dad invited me to watch several movies that featured the flashing of Jack Nicholson's butt. Oh progress, someday I'll have to write and tell them how I managed to get from Ohio to Florida in under 3 hours. :P