Sign in to follow this  
krysis

What do your families think?

I recently returned from visiting my folks in Florida, mother is still very strict about the books she has in her house but dad invited me to watch several movies that featured the flashing of Jack Nicholson's butt.  Oh progress, someday I'll have to write and tell them how I managed to get from Ohio to Florida in under 3 hours. <_<

263932[/snapback]

Ohio to Florida under 3 hours. It must be Transporter! :rolleyes:

For me, it's not so much what my family thinks, they pretty much just tolerate me, it's my co-workers that think I'm a bit of a freak. My studio has been christened, "the bridge", I call talent down to the bridge using the bosuns call from TOS. I play the bridge sounds in my studio when I'm not recording and have numerous Trek posters and references all around the walls in my control room and I speak various Klingon phrases just for the fun of it. This halloween, I'm planning on wearing my TNG engineering tunic with Vulcan ears and Bajoran nose, complete with earring, and a Klingon cranial piece. A human, Vulcan, Bajoran, Klingon hybrid, hows that for an alien. The problem I'm having is finding the nose bridge and ears and earring but I'm working on it. If anyone can help me find these pieces, I would greatly appreciate it. Other than all that, I'm as normal as the next person down the street, which really doesn't say a whole lot, does it? What's normal anyway?

My family thinks that I am obsessed but I really don't care. I have learned to tone it down in the past year, but when Season 5 was about to come out for DS9, I was really obsessed.

My mother couldn't care lless about Star Trek.. She avoids talking about it at all costs. I am not quite sure about my dad. My brothes don't like it either. In fact only two family members like Star Trek. Me and my greatgrandmother who is the one who got me hooked on Star Trek when I was still a baby, unfortunately died a few years ago three days before my b-day were the only ones. So I'm am the only member of my family that likes it.

Ever since I was little, I was obsessed with Star Trek. I grew up with my grand-mother, and she never said anything against it. In fact, when The Next Generation came out, every Saturday she would watch it with me, as fascinated with the stories as I was.

When I finally met my mother at the age of 14, I told her that I was a Trekkie. She stared at me for a long moment, and then started laughing. When she stopped, she told me that she, too, was a Trekkie. Before I had even met her, she had a rather decent-sized library of Trek novels. Her computer had a Trek-themed screen-saver. She even had a TNG uniform. Even though we never got along, she still took me to my first Trek convention in Sacramento in '95.

If haven't seen her in 9 years, but I am still grateful to her. Thanks to her, I met Armin Shimmerman (Quark) and Rene Auberjonois (Odo) and got autographed photos of them.

My memories of my mother aren't the greatest, but I wish I could see her again.

The problem I'm having is finding the nose bridge and ears and earring but I'm working on it.  If anyone can help me find these pieces, I would greatly appreciate it.  Other than all that, I'm as normal as the next person down the street, which really doesn't say a whole lot, does it?  What's normal anyway?

265622[/snapback]

I can't help with the Bajoran nose piece but the earring is available online from Star Trek: The Experience's website. I bought one there and it's great. They ship very quickly too.

Bajoran Earring

I was checking out the website for Vulcan, Alberta and their Tourism and Trek Site's gift shop has Vulcan ears listed. It indicates that you can email them at vultrek@telusplanet.net to make a purchase if you are unable to come in person. The website page is at Vulcan Alberta

My friends and family all tolerate my Trekness. My mother watched TNG when it was originally on so she knows how great it is so she gives me the least grief about it...well except for when I spend more money than she thinks I should on something but that's not because it's Trek, it's because I'm broke.

My daughter is a Trekkie. I've brainwashed her good! For the longest time TNG was the only live action program she would watch as she prefers animated programing still. Last year she wanted to dress up as Data for Halloween and when her daycare had a "Halloween in August" day she wanted to go as Data again (although we were out of make-up). This year she once again wants to be Data for Halloween. She's also insisting that I go as Lore again this year!

My mom doesn't see how i can always watch trek reruns and not tire of them i might say to her that it is good looking back and being able to compare all V series(and also a good way to tape over stuff i had on the video at the time)with a few trek shows the rest of my family makes no difference to them one way or another.

:flowers::flowers::flowers::naughty:

Fortunately all my immediate family (brother, wife, son, mom & dad) are Trekkers/ies so everyday life is not a problem but when we go to some big family gatherings I get told right from the get-go that nobody wants to hear about; "that Star Track crap" Of course I talk about it anyway.

I'm the only one in my family... neighbourhood... ring of buddies...  at work, church..... who loves Star Trek. My da doesn't watch TV unless its news. My ma watches anyting but Star Trek. She thinks I'm a Star Trek fanatic. My brother watches other things.

My wife thinks I need help. When we had our son, I wanted to name him either Jean Luc or James Kirk. She utterly refused. I tried Hikaru and Pavel, and she thinks I'm really nuts. We settled for Jacob. :P

My son is ... well, I'll be introducing Star Trek when he starts talking. My friends also think I'm nuts. The only friend I have who watches Star Trek only watches it because he wants to own every episode with Seven. Heck the bloke wants to own her. Its a lonely world here. At least she's agreed to buy me USS Enterprise (the model) this Christmas :yucky:

My sister in law says I should join StarTrekFan Annonymous... lol

What about you all? What do your families think about Star Trek? How did you get hooked to it? B)

261845[/snapback]

Hmmmmmmm, Hooked?

Nah, I enjoy Trek alot but I'd never consider naming one of my kids after the show.

Perhaps a pet fish or something though.

My family knows I enjoy it but I'm not obsessed with it.

Most of the people I know who don't like Star Trek tell me it's too far removed from real life. I argue that if you strip away the sci-fi, you still have an amazing series with wonderful characters and stories. Trek doesn't depend on sci-fi, as I imagine some shows do, that's just the setting.

Others just say it's just another show.

I go back to TOS. I had a little trouble getting my family to understand. But eventually I got them hooked too. I have been fortunate to be surrounded by other fans. In fact at work, they started naming computers after trek characters. The one named Dr. McCoy had problems, so the name needed to be changed. :P I forgot what name it eventually was given. But that seemed to help.

My family are all varying levels of Trek fans, so they of course have no problem with me being a fan. After all, my mom was the one who introduced the three of us kids to Trek in the first place. The person who it took the longest for them to become a fan was my brother... well, my dad too.

I get made fun of a lot by family and people all around the city I live in. So I wear the uniform on October 31 every year... so I like watching Star Trek more then reality TV, Friends, and another show that has a clif hanger at the end of every sceen just to keep people watching it... so I know a few Klingon words and have a Star Trek theme desktop, but I do not, and I and belive me when I say this, I do not go around speaking like a Klingon, write fan fics about Voyager, and tell everyone I was some how brought to 'this earth' by Q as a bad joke. But, everyone around thinks that I am like that... some people.

My parents don't really care what I like and do as long as I'm happy, they have watch star trek also and injoyed them, my friends also don't care what I like LOL. I do tell people that I love star trek if they ask but I never really got any bad sayings from anybody always positive. LONG LIVE STAR TREK.

Brian

Edited by zipkirk1966

My dad never really cared about Star Trek at all.He could take it or leave it.

(he generally only watched TOS with me,to catch a glimpse of Uhura in her mini-skirt!) My mom thought I was a little too devoted to Trek when I was in High School,and spent way too much money on books,models,comics,etc....featuring Star Trek (I did ).But since it was my personal cash,she left it up to me.

I've actually reduced the ammount of Trek I watch,and the money I spend on Trek merchandise in the last few years by more than half.

I still watch TOS episodes fairly regularly,and an occasional DS9 on Spike.

As for my friends,they either don't watch Star Trek (but know a little about it) or hate it and think I'm a weirdo for watching it.

Now my family doesn't really care. I just make my friends and co-workers watch it. I put on First Contact at work today and quoted as much of the lines as I could. Sandra laughed all the time. She even allowed me to put on Generations. I personally thinks she's keeping secrets :wink2:

My mam and sister think im weird, My dad has prety much accepted it but thinks i take it to far. People at work dont really now how much I like Star Trek. Apart from our New Security guard who likes it as well. But most people just ignore me when i start talking about it.

I discovered Star Trek from watching the reruns with my parents when I was like five years old (1972). I continued to watch the reruns, along with other shows like Ultraman, Lost in Space, Space:1999 and the Six Million Dollar Man. My love for Star Trek only deepened when the first film came out in 1979, and I've been a fan ever since. My Father loves it, and my mother loved it while she lived (she passed away in 1990).

Was hooked when I saw The Voyage Home with my boyfriend at the time. Since then have become more and more obsessed. My mother will watch episodes and even came the The Star Trek exhibition at the museum with me. My dad thinks it is silly. My sister asks me if it is all I ever watch and think about. Mind you she watches the shows with her husband. My work mates think it is a waste of time. My friend was into the shows. We used to write letters addressed to each other as Delta and Alpha quadrant. When I would travel to his place he would label his driveway as DS9 so I could dock my car 'the little red shuttle' there. Can't seem to find anyone obsessed with Trek. Will keep looking though.

Edited by starsinmyeyes

my parents were happy when I became a Trek fan a few years ago because they have been fans for years, but they aren't as fanatical as I am though. I'm way into Trek more than they are. Originally, my brother used to tease me about my Trek fandom saying I'm a nerd, :lol: typical response. But over a couple of years, he grown to like it a little.

But only TNG, he hates any other Trek, but seems to like TNG.