Sign in to follow this  
Airies

Trek now or later

Should Trek be put on hold for 5 years?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should Trek be put on hold for 5 years?

• Yes Star Trek should be put on hold for 5 years.
    • No keep pushing Enterprise and movies.
    • Undecided

It would be very difficult to live 5 years with no new Trek. I can see that it might make the ratings better. How many years was it between the original show and The Motion picture? 9 years. Yikes, I wouldn't want to wait that long.

Trek now. Must have Trek. Trek good. Need more Trek. More Trek now.

No. Scifi is not getting any less saturated with more series. Trek needs to stand firm and fight to keep it's place NOW rather than run away and hide while the newcomers steal all the best new ideas. Things WON'T be any easier in 5 years. MORE TREK NOW!

I believe that they should put all there effort on Enterprise and not do a movie for the next 5 years.

I agree, but there is alot of talk about putting all Trek on hold for 5 years to make to fans hungry again. I think were all hungry for a good movie!

Even when they where making movies I was hungry for a good movie. :lol:

Although I would miss Trek, I can survive 5 years on re-runs. I think 5 years would allow a new infusion of ideas. Enterprise stumbled in Season 2 and although I enjoyed Season 3, I think it could have been much better. They are even throwing out an idea that I was in full support of exploring, the TCW.

After Enterprise finishes its run (season 7 I hope!) I would say Star Trek needs to take about 5 years off. Judging from all the bashing Enterprise gets and even Voyager was not well liked by many, I say its time to chill out and get the fans hungry again. I'm talking no more movies or TV shows for 5 years.

I love Star Trek and would like to see it continue, but any new Star Trek show would just be bashed again.

Take 5 years off, I'll wait because good things come to those who wait.

I'm undecided ont his as I'm happy either way. Apart from the odd Enterprise I haven't seen any Startrek on my TV (cept the occasional video on thing on)for a year or so. It's upto the people who control TV broadcasts at the directors ect...

I want more Trek now! Five years without Trek... I am dying at the very thought. I would be in my second year of college before there was new Trek! To me, that is a long way away. No, we must have new Trek sooner!

I don't think oversaturation is the problem. Trek has changed - and doing so lost some people who liked it the way it was. A five year hiatus won't get those people back. They either need to tighten up their plots to get the old fans back or advertise to the new target base to attract those viewers.

I voted for "No keep pushing Enterprise and movies"...i dont want to be waiting 5 years thats to long.

Keep going with Enterprise but no more movies or new shows for at least 5 years. After Enterprise Trek needs a break for a while.

AS A STAR TREK CHILD,I CAN'T LIVE PROPERLY WITHOUT TREKKING,

TREK MUST GO ON,LIVE LONG TREK!!

Although I would miss Trek, I can survive 5 years on re-runs.  I think 5 years would allow a new infusion of ideas.  Enterprise stumbled in Season 2 and although I enjoyed Season 3, I think it could have been much better.  They are even throwing out an idea that I was in full support of exploring, the TCW.

259543[/snapback]

I think the Temporal Cold War could have been used to explain some inconsistencies - such as loosing a warp-capable ship and crew in the energy barrier surrounding our galaxy in 2065 (This was mentioned in a TOS episode, not sure which one) only 2 years after discovering warp drive ourselves in 2063 - as well as reconcile the 1960s version of the future with what actually happened the last 4 decades - i.e. the Eugenics wars, Kahn's rise and fall from power, Voyager 6, and a host of other predictions that never materialized. The Temporal Cold War could have had enormous potential to set things "straight".

Sadly the writers didn't see it that way. They just said "OK, blowing up the Alien Nazi's time conduit fixes everything." even though they never even addressed how they stoped Lenin from being assassinated which is what made that whole timeline possible to begin with.

I do think Trek needs a 5-year hiatus. Take Enterprise to the Earth-Romulan War, maybe the creation of the Federation if Enterprise is profitable for that long, and then give it a rest. Don't say this will be the death of the franchise because it already survived another 5-year hiatus between the end of TAS and TMP and science fiction in general was not nearly as established as it is now.

I think the Temporal Cold War could have been used to explain some inconsistencies - such as loosing a warp-capable ship and crew in the energy barrier surrounding our galaxy in 2065 (This was mentioned in a TOS episode, not sure which one) only 2 years after discovering warp drive ourselves in 2063 - as well as reconcile the 1960s version of the future with what actually happened the last 4 decades - i.e. the Eugenics wars, Kahn's rise and fall from power, Voyager 6, and a host of other predictions that never materialized. The Temporal Cold War could have had enormous potential to set things "straight".

^Agreed Lt. Van Roy.

Sadly the writers didn't see it that way. They just said "OK, blowing up the Alien Nazi's time conduit fixes everything." even though they never even addressed how they stoped Lenin from being assassinated which is what made that whole timeline possible to begin with.

But it's not the writers fault imo, the fault lays with the many "fans" whom thought they knew what was best for Trek and were too impatient to allow the tale, as originally envisioned by the creators to play out fully. Their crying and forcing the subsequent changes in ENT has done more damage than tptb ever did, that crappy ending is the babies getting their way again. I'm truly sorry for what might have been.

I believe Trek will be back again once the selfish crybabies get their way and the story returns to the timelines other end.

Under Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, the franchise will only continue to decline.

Deep Space Nine was at it's best when Berman shifted his attention to VOY, and left DS9 in the hands of truly talented people.

It was from 1969 to 1979 between the end of production of TOS and the first movie. Trek became extremely popular during the syndicated reruns in the early 70s. In fact syndication helped TNG. I firmly believe TREK should go back on syndication. Enterprise would be doing a lot better. As for movies, they just need to be like The Wrath of Khan and First Contact.

Edited by Data

Having lived throught the first Star Trek hiatus, I would prefer not to go through that again. Trek Now!

I think Enterprise is in a very strong place creatively therefore, I wouldn't want a break right now. I think the ratings will improve once Enterprise is syndicated (as it should have been from day one). I also think the current Star Trek writing staff, led by Coto, has some great ideas so I don't think it makes sense to cut them off at this point.

I think Star Trek's problem right now is that it is tied to a lousy network. The strongest periods in Star Trek's history were when the show was in syndication either after TOS's run or the front end syndications of TNG and DS9.

Whereas when Star Trek was tied to networks either NBC or UPN, the ratings were bad no matter how good the shows were (TOS was great, and both Voyager and Enterprise, despite their problems, still have/had strong episodes).

So no break, lose UPN.

I have never been impressed with ENT. So the thought of losing it doesn`t bother me much, but I would like to see more movies.

Prefferably ones that are a little less hard to swallow than Nemisis.

That having been said, if the new trek were post 23rd Century, then I might be inclined to tune in.

Keep Enterprise going for the rest of the time till it gets the "7 year run" then a break for maybe 5 year breather Fresh minds New Ideas to renew it then attempt another Trek film wait awhile between a Trek Film another Trek Series are after all 5 now.

TOS

TNG

DS9

Voyager

Enterprise

------------------------

:yahoo: :lol: :lol: :flex:

No. Scifi is not getting any less saturated with more series. Trek needs to stand firm and fight to keep it's place NOW rather than run away and hide while the newcomers steal all the best new ideas. Things WON'T be any easier in 5 years. MORE TREK NOW!

258869[/snapback]

I could not have said that better myself.

No keep pushing Enterprise and movies. If Trek goes away for 5 years or so it'll be very hard for it to come back. Not impossible but very difficult..I say keep it going with these fabulous Enterprise stories of this season.. :biggrin: