Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Annoyance

Ok I have to buy cigerettes for my father as h4e can't get out of the house (My first ick, but what can ya do) Any how everytime i walk into a supermarket I get asked for id with birthdate included cigerettes can be sold to everyone over 16. I am almost 24 surely i don't lookk that young???

they are basically saying I am around 8 years younger. I certainly don't believe that.

Ok I have to buy cigerettes for my father as h4e can't get out of the house (My first ick, but what can ya do) Any how everytime i walk into a supermarket I get asked for id with birthdate included cigerettes can be sold to everyone over 16. I am almost 24 surely i don't lookk that young???

325164[/snapback]

I will get carded for Lottery scratch off tickets, though I am 25 years old(you have to be 18 to get them). Heck, they give me an odd stare when I hand them my debit card or a credit card... then ask me for my ID. Then apologize because they thought I was younger. I do not get upset when I am carded usually, but that one sets me off.... because they basically give me an eye like they thought I stole my cards :thumbs: .

Rates up there when this police officer pulled me over claiming I was doing 3 mph over the limit, and he kept circling my car checking it out...then he was shocked to find that at the time I was 21 years old. And whether he liked it or not... I was not a child who stole a car. I embarassed the crap out of him, when he handed my license back I handed him a bunch of papers. He asked what they were, and I politely told him he could check them out... I handed him the title for my car, my insurance card, gave him back my registration, I gave him the fee slip for my University classes that I was heading to along with telling him "I thought you might need these in the "investigation" you seem to be doing on me and my vehicle. I also would like your badge number, sir. Because I am sure your superiors would love to hear about the harassment you have just done, making me extremely late for class... and that I pay VERY close attention to my spedometer, and I was decelerating to enter into the 25mph zone so it would be normal to still be just over the limit" He shoved the stuff in my hand, grumbled something, and stormed off... not giving me his badge number, but I waited until he passed and I took down his car tag number. Believe me, a complaint was filed. His superiors were apologetic to me, and ticked off at him...found out he had done that to several other people who look a lot younger than they really are (and most were female too).

We get carded here if you buy some stuff at the store, like certain paints or white out. So needless to say, I get carded for that too... Also I went into a liquor store to purchase soda(I do not drink alcohol) because it was closest to where I was at the time, and they wanted to card me just for coming into the store. I laughed at it though, because the guy who had to ask me that happens to be a semi regular customer at the store I work at( a food store).

The older you get, the more flattered you get when you get carded.

325206[/snapback]

*shrug* I guess.. I know I am 25, but everyone thinks I am young enough to still be in high school, and then my mother who is closing in on 50(and loving every minute of it :thumbs: !) everyone thinks she is only in her mid 30's. I mean it is kinda nice to have people think you are younger, because I guess it shows that you wear age well... but it can get aggrivating when you want someone to take you seriously.

Where I buy gas they have a sign that says "we card everyone under 40 don't get mad at our employees." Considering the severe legal consequences facing businesses that sell alcohol or tobacco to minors - I understand why they take no chances.

thing is i don't have birthdate id. so i get yelled at by my father and the store peopl. i don't know where i can have birthdate id cause i don't drive and i am not carrying a passport for it to be stolen as well as my id (a big problem over here)

The same happens to me every time I want to buy DVDs with a small sign that says "not for people under the age of 16" B) :P I hate to be asked for my ID, I'm 22 and they think I'm 14 or 15 or something... :) this is rather annoying. :lol:

I'd feel flattered if I were 45 and they'd think I'm 35 :thumbs:

As some of you know, I work in the electronics department at Wal-Mart and I've asked for id for rated R and unrated movies, as well as M rated games. So far, I've turned down the sale to two people, needless to say, they weren't happy. I said it was the store's policy, as well as the law for R rated movies. If they don't like it, they can talk to a manager, but it's basically the law. My training also gave a scenario where it limits the amount of cold medicine one person can buy. Taking a lot of cold medicine is like taking drugs, plus the main ingrediant in the medicine is used to make Meth. That's my experience with carding people.

I never got carded.  :P I guess nobody asks somebody my height.

325188[/snapback]

How tall are ya? I'm 6'4" and I get carded occassionally*

Where I buy gas they have a sign that says "we card everyone under 40 don't get mad at our employees."  Considering the severe legal consequences facing businesses that sell alcohol or tobacco to minors - I understand why they take no chances.

325216[/snapback]

Indeed, TUH. Then again, I normally go to the same place for smokes, so all the cashiers know me, and know how old I am (99 according to my profile :thumbs: )

*I only get carded when I have a clean shaven face. if I have my goatee (Which I do quite often), I look about 10 years older. clean shaven, ten years younger.

I never got carded.  :thumbs: I guess nobody asks somebody my height.

325188[/snapback]

6'6" I was well over 6 feet at 14.

For all of you complaining about getting carded, there will come a time when you will no longer be carded for liquor and cigarettes. When that time comes, you may well be wishing you looked a little younger. This is coming from a 49 year-old.

I know of a shop which sells alcohol (18) and cigarettes (16) to a 14 year old, but ID's me at 17 for cigarettes.

*I only get carded when I have a clean shaven face. if I have my goatee (Which I do quite often), I look about 10 years older. clean shaven, ten years younger.

325250[/snapback]

Sounds like my brother & father. If they ever were clean shaven, they probably would be carded. But my dad and brother won't remove their beards or moustaches... and my brother started with his at age 10 (not to mention that he was quite tall at that age already, and is now about 6' tall and 305lbs at age 19)

For all of you complaining about getting carded, there will come a time when you will no longer be carded for liquor and cigarettes. When that time comes, you may well be wishing you looked a little younger. This is coming from a 49 year-old.
I can understand that it can become a compliment as we get older (my mom at almost 50 is like I had said, always confused with being maybe at oldest 35... which though she thinks it is a nice statement that people make, kinda bugs her because she highly enjoys the thought of getting to reach her milestone)

In my case, I kind of mind the misunderstanding of my age, because it is a setback when it comes to advancement in my career. They think I am way to young to be training for pharmacy (so much so, that I left my new job and returned to my old job for that reason. They would not train me for pharm. because they really thought I needed to be a counter girl/clerk :thumbs: :P )

That, and only recently, I have stopped getting kids' menus when I go to resteraunts.

It doesn't bother me when I am carded. They are just doing there job and nothing more.

I just hate it cause I have been called a liar and been told my mother is going to be angry at me. When I tell them my mother died they tell me off for lying again. because I look younger and like pink I get carded.

If you are at that business and they speak to you in that manner tell the manager you don't like that treatment. If you don't get the proper response from the manager than take your business to some other store. Make sure you tell that to manager that you will longer conduct your business here, because the treatmet that you have received. Also make sure your friends don't shop there as well. Nothing changes people attidudes when they lose money for not treating their customers right. Remember the first rule for a business. The customer is always right.

Edited by Odie

From someone who has been in business for a long time, let me tell you that the customer is rarely right. The trick is to make them think they are right.........lol

Angelic, you have the same problem I do. There is a lady at my church that every Sunday asks if I'm ready for summer break, thinking I'm at least still in high school. I'm 22 years old and I'm being mistaken for a 16 year old. I say this because my brother is 16 and that's who I sit next to, so I guess she consider me to be his friend since we look nothing alike. It's a little annoying though :thumbs:

From someone who has been in business for a long time, let me tell you that the customer is rarely right. The trick is to make them think they are right.........lol

325372[/snapback]

True, but before joining the Navy I used to work in a resturtant. If I ever called a customer a liar I would never hear the end of it by the owner. There are something that you shouldn't do to your customers.

I used to train people in how to give "world class" customer service.

If the customer were valued where you shopped UA, this wouldn't happen.

I have no problem with beingcarded. After a time you won't be insulted, you'll take it as a compliment.

Quite frankly I welcome it.

It was all too easy for me to get alcohol when underage, and my friends and I are very lucky we didn't kill someone with our antics.

As for cigarettes, it's about time.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

Where I buy gas they have a sign that says "we card everyone under 40 don't get mad at our employees."  Considering the severe legal consequences facing businesses that sell alcohol or tobacco to minors - I understand why they take no chances.

325216[/snapback]

It could be the case that this establishment has been previously found in violation of the law for selling to minors and are forced to strictly enforce the law for fear of major fines. The area where I used to work has had major problems with businesses selling alcohol to minors. Two years ago a business was shut down after selling alcohol to minors who went out and killed themselves by crashing into a tree in residential area. IMO every business should card for their own legal protection and for the protection of both young and old.

I never got carded.  :thumbs: I guess nobody asks somebody my height.

325188[/snapback]

6'6" I was well over 6 feet at 14.

325269[/snapback]

Short people scare me. *Makes a note to the board that he is 6'9"*

I rarely get carded, but lately I've been spending alot of time at the school, so I usually have my ID lanyard on, and it says "Jim 'Phaserman'" and "Teacher" on it. (All students and teachers are required to wear their IDs on lanyards around their necks. )

Has anyone here ever been carded for a movie? Kinda embarrissing.

325344[/snapback]

Yes, five years ago, then I went to a store to rent a movie. The lable on it said that it wasn't for people under 15, so they asked me for my age. I said straight out that I was 20, and thankfully they believed me, since I at that time didn't have my ID with me. But I have it with me from now on, specially since people still thinks I'm younger than I am. ( I'm now 25. )

:thumbs: