Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Apartment Living Vs. Single House

I've done both. There is good and bad in both too. what are your ideas about this?

I've never lived in a house of my own so I don't have any real experience to speak from in that regard. As someone who has lived in apartments I can say the advantages are no yard work or snow shoveling. If there is any kind of a problem with the plumbing, for instance, all I have to do is call the landlord and it's fixed, at their expense. However my neighbors are only a couple of sheets of drywall away and I think it would be nice sometimes, to have a little garden. I suppose it's a tradeoff. I think having good neighbors and a good landlord, if you rent, make all the difference.

My husband and I have lived in several apartments. The good part is that they're cheaper than houses, and the landlord takes care of repairs. The bad part is that they're small, and the neighbors are too close.

Now we own a mobile home. The good part is IT'S ALL OURS, there's space between us and the neighbors (more privacy), and we have a front yard and a back yard. The bad part is that WE have to take care of all the repairs. The funny part is that our monthly expenses are less now than they were for our most recent apartment! :nono:

I love our mobile home - it's big, and WAY cheaper to buy than a regular house. :thumbup:

I have lived in both an apartment and a house and I have to say that I much prefer living in a house. This is simply because I am a very private and shy person, and thus I cannot stand having other people just a room away. I could not stand to live with other people unless it is me and my three best friends getting a house togther for a few years after college. I do not mind doing repairs and things myself. I have to say that the pros of house living outweigh the pros of apartment living. After all, if you rent an apartment for enough years, you will have spent enough to buy a house anyway.

Owning a home is way better. The mortgage never goes up and you have privacy. Of course space is real important when you have children. So if you have a family of more than two children it is the only way to go. Yes, you are responcible for everything but you can choose the kind of kitchen or bathroom or bedroom you want. You can alway modify. No rules from a landlord. The only negative thing to owning a home is the real estate taxes.

Me and debbie rent a apartment we want to buy a house but we are planning that after the baby is born right now with saving for the things we need and debbie working less hrs we cant really afford to buy a house right now but its not really a problem we have a big apartment upstairs and downstairs so its got plenty of space B)

Me and debbie rent a apartment we want to buy a house but we are planning that after the baby is born right now with saving for the things we need and debbie working less hrs we cant really afford to buy a house right now but its not really a problem we have a big apartment upstairs and downstairs so its got plenty of space B)

285473[/snapback]

Good Luck with buying a home. You have a few years yet before you will begin to see that the child needs their own space. It is actually the pre teen to teen years when space is essential.

285473[/snapback]

Good Luck with buying a home. You have a few years yet before you will begin to see that the child needs their own space. It is actually the pre teen to teen years when space is essential.

285474[/snapback]

Thanks data B) ...you are right we have plenty of time yet and we have 3 bedrooms so the child will have plenty of space to run riot B)

We rent a house. For me it's the perfect solution. Our rent is actually about half the cost of any apartments around here (that might have something to do with the fact that our landlords have known me since I was 14 and are friends with my parents), we have lots of space including big back and front yards, but if something breaks (like right now our water heater is leaking) it's still the landlords responsibility. Though I LOVE this house and if I ever did get the chance to buy it I would in a heartbeat. I don't think I'd ever want to go back to apartments after having this house.

I think RC makes a good point - you can rent houses and you can also own apartments (they're called condominiums) so the apt versus house debate is about more than owning versus renting.

Noise is a problem in apartments but I have to say I'm pretty lucky. I chose a complex with single level apartments (no upstairs neighbors) and I'm on the end and I have a patio. When I look out my door all I see are the trees from the empty lot or those that separate us from the neighboring property.

And I'm close to everything.

Noise is a problem in apartments but I have to say I'm pretty lucky.  I chose a complex with single level apartments (no upstairs neighbors) and I'm on the end and I have  a patio.  When I look out my door all I see are the trees from the empty lot or those that separate us from the neighboring property.

And I'm close to everything.

285520[/snapback]

Now see that's a nice situation. The apartments we lived at for years after we got married had a lot of nice features, good gym, indoor raquetball courts, jogging trails, all that, but they were tiny and 3 story. We lived on the second story so we had people above us, below us, and on each side. The noise was awful and you had pretty much no privacy. Plus our patio (also tiny) looked right out into one of the busiest intersections in Phoenix.

That's THE WORST RC. Your nothing in there but a noise buffer. I lived under someone ONCE. I'LL NEVER make that mistake again. B) I have a penthouse type apartment. It's really beautiful up here. But just having neighbors below me is enough. I think sound travels UP. I pity the people under them right now. I think a nice townhouse would be the best for apartment type living. Then no one is above you or below you. :yes: Unless you get ONE neighbor who abuts your bedroom wall and likes to play basketball in the middle of the night or bounce golfballs off their wall. B) B) B)

I've done both too. Personally, I don't like apartment living. I prefer the tax advantages of home owning. I also like the idea of owning a home. But even in home owning there is difvrsity in thought. I have had single home ownership three times. I have also had home ownership in two condominiums........Personally, I prefer the condo life.........let someone else have the responsiblity of cutting the grass, raking the leaves, cleaning the gutters, painting, roofing, etc........I have a small fenced in back yard that I have converted into a beautiful garden of shrubs and flowers......and it is enough yard to maintain.............But,when you look at what you want to call "home," it's all about perference.

I have lived in both. I haven't any problems with living in apartments.

I miss calling the landlord to fix things, but on the whole owning a home is great. We have a two-car attached garage and I could never go back to not having a garage attached to my house. It's wonderful not having neighbors right on top of you, too.