Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Star Trek Nemesis

How many times have you seen Nemesis?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you seen Nemesis?

• Only once
    • Twice
    • Three Times
    • Four Times
    • Five Times
    • More then Five Times

I've seen the whole movie start to finish once (that I can recall), I started it a second time but it just doesn't fit into the Star Trek Universe for me. It just doesn't feel like a Trek.

Picard doesn't act like Picard, Worf's presence was never explained (that I saw) and the premise of the movie just didn't fit what DS9 had already established for the Romulans and Federation.

My feeling while watching it the second time around was that it was set up to fail.

I won't say that I won't ever watch it again, but I'll likely watch ST V more often then ST X.

I saw it once in the theartre..once because i was forced to at my aunts house and third just to see if i liked it..

i have come to the conclusion that it was horrible and plan to try to ban it from my memory

On the other hand St:TWOK..Where Datas death was concived of..Was a much better movie

I've only seen it once and I can say I will never watch it again. I hated it. It just wasn't good trek at all IMO. :wacko:

I loved it in the theater, though it was such a sad ending.

But...

we bought the DVD when it came out and I can't stay awake to watch it now! I'm usually asleep before we meet Shinzon! :wacko:

Something about the way it looks on tv just bugs me, it looked so good on a huge screen in a dark theater, but on a tv, it's just not right. Plus I'll agree that the characters parts weren't right. None of them seemed like the characters we've gotten to know over the years.

It was the first Star Trek movie that I only watch only once when it was in the theater. IMO it was the worse movie for TNG.

I think i have seen Nemesis about 4 times now once at the movies and 3 times on dvd,its not a bad film but its not in my top 3 ST films i just found it a slow film with some good scenes that was spoiled by the ending :wacko:

It was the first Star Trek movie I saw in theater (and the one that really made me fall in love with Jean-Luc when I heard his wonderful speech at the wedding :eekout: ), and I saw it twice on DVD, so, three times for me. It's not my all-time fave Trek movie (too many mistakes :sweatdrop::naughty: ), but I try to ignore the mistakes and just look at Jean-Luc when I see it :laugh:

It was the first Star Trek movie I saw in theater (and the one that really made me fall in love with Jean-Luc when I heard his wonderful speech at the wedding  :naughty: ), and I saw it twice on DVD, so, three times for me. It's not my all-time fave Trek movie (too many mistakes  :nono2:  :hmmm: ), but I try to ignore the mistakes and just look at Jean-Luc when I see it  :sly:

264312[/snapback]

The speech at the wedding was good, but that was one point in the movie that I really thought was out of character for Picard. He just didn't seem like himself to me, not that it was "bad" it just didn't "feel" right.

It's hard to explain.

The speech at the wedding was good, but that was one point in the movie that I really thought was out of character for Picard. He just didn't seem like himself to me, not that it was "bad" it just didn't "feel" right.

It's hard to explain.

264726[/snapback]

I got that same feeling at several parts all through the movie. If it was new characters I'd never seen before it could have been a good movie, but it just doesn't fit in with trek.

Maybe you're right, VBG, the speech is very personal (he's not a man who likes to become personal in speeches, that's true), but I think this was "acceptable" since it wasn't just a speech for anyone, it was a speech for two of his closest friends :blush 2: Anyways, I think I know what you mean. :nono2:

The most horrible out-of-character-for-Jean-Luc-thing for me was this scene with this 'car' on that planet. :hmmm::naughty:

I liked it and have seen it more than 5 times, I wratch all my movies 1 each night and have been doing that for about 3months so i have seen them all quite a few times.

Twice. I seen it in the movie theatre of course. And was very disappointed with it. I bought the DVD anyway..I watched it the 2nd time with my parents..It was an ok trek movie but I had such high hopes for it..I think that's why I was so disappointed..I always compare TNG movies with First Contact which is probably unfair..I should give it another watch..Maybe..

Picard was pretty loose in a scene or two of INS as well, that all began at the end of All Good Things remember?

Anyway I think I saw it twice at the movies and a few times on DVD rental. [5](haven't bought it, waiting for special edition) It's not a blockbuster that's for sure (they gotta stop doing episode quality material on the big screen!) but I think it does do a fine job of moving the characters (and the saga as a whole) forward in their(/its) evolution.

I never saw it at the movies. I rented it once from Blocbuster. I watched it over and over, but I

do not recall how many times.

Could have been four, could have been seven. I voted more than five because I had the video more than five days.

I liked the movie very much, because I believe we saw Picard. In one of the TNG episodes ( the 'Robin Hood' one?), Vash was surprised that Captain Picard had never mentioned her....she knew he found her fascinating ( "You are outrageous!," Picard exclaimed to Vash in their prior escapade...) . Yet he had said nothing about her to his crew. Troi explained to Vash, " Captain Picard is a very private person." Something like that.

We rarely see how Picard feels...he is such a picture of discipline, restraint, and strength. But he is human, flesh and blood, and the pain of life does take a toll. After finally reconciling with his brother, both his brother and nephew die. He is alone in the universe except for Star Fleet. In the last episode of TNG, he finally reaches out to his crew, his family. He finally allows himself to express his feelings of friendship and connection.

In Nemesis, his family is breaking up. Will Riker is marrying Deanna and moving on. In the wedding speech there is a barely uttered plea for them to stay. No, gently indicated. Data sings wonderfully. It is a bittersweet, the best and worst of times for Picard.

But he still has Data, and to a lesser extent Geordi and the others.

When Schinzon comes on the scene, and he turns out to be a clone of Picard, Picard has hopes for a connection, sincerely motivated hopes of a man whose intimate conncections are dissolving (crew breaking up). Of course Shinzon turns out to be like an evil twin. The hatred in his whole being as he is dying in front of Picard, whose face bares its usual facade of calm, is a powerful moment in the film to me, if looked at it in contrast to Picard's original hopes of making a connection. Plus Picard must be thinking (or later considered) "there but for the grace of God go I..."

After the shocking and unexpected loss of Data, and after the universe is saved, of course, the changes that were planned from the beginnng of the show were carried out: Will and Deanna disembarked.

Picard was left with B-4, a knowledge of what he could have been through his encounter with Shinzon, and his continuing career. He continues on in his efffective, efficient Picard manner, but we in the audience who choose to, know him better. We have seen his humanity bared.

I am with Mrs. Picard on this one. To me the unguarded Picard was very compelling and attractive. His shields are back up, for sure, but some of us looked in while the soul was bared.

I won't say that I won't ever watch it again, but I'll likely watch ST V more often then ST X.

263986[/snapback]

Ouch! :naughty: Now that about says it all, VBG!

As for your other comments, I'm with ya, brother. I think that anyone who loved DS9 was destined to hate Nemesis because of its disregard for the character and storyline development from DS9. I've been ticked off ever since I saw Nemesis at the theater ... there is no explanation for Worf's presence on the Enterprise nor any sense to Worf being the "drunk" at the wedding reception. How stupid was that? Worf can drink O'Brien the scotch-swilling Irishman under the table. Why would Worf be so completely toasted at the wedding. It makes no sense.

It was an ok trek movie but I had such high hopes for it..I think that's why I was so disappointed..I always compare TNG movies with First Contact which is probably unfair..I should give it another watch..Maybe..

264909[/snapback]

Wasn't First Contact a great movie? Then they follow it up with that syrupy Insurrection fiasco and then Nemesis. You're right ... it is unfair to compare those two flicks to FC. FC set the standard for TNG movies and I just don't know if they'll ever match it again.

I have seen it once in the theaters, about 5 times on my DVD. And bits and pieces of it(ok, ok scenes that concern Data...except for the end), when it came on AMC channel over the last few months.

I did not think it was particularly bad (yeah, I will forever hate the ending...but keeping that part aside), not exactly the best of the TNG films. The best is reserved for Star Trek First Contact...the other three shift positions on my list depending on the mood I am in when discussing them. The other three were pretty much equal IMO, FC just stands out quite a bit more than the others.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

I have seen it twice the first was at the movies and I didn't enjoy it very much at all. When it came on TV, I watched it again to give it another chance. I thought that it was not that bad.

It is not anywhere near the quality of First Contact and I had to suspend my disbelief a little more than usual to ignore the fact that Mr Worf was there with no explanation for his presence. Also I had a hard time seeing Shinzon as a young Picard even if he did have his jaw and nose broken I still can't see it.

If these facts are ignored I don't think that it was that bad, but it certainly is not one of my top five favourite Trek movies.

I voted more than 5 times. That's because I don't own any of the series on DVD, or else I would not have that much time watching all 10 movies over and over again. Besides, I didn't know what to do while I was recovering from chic-pox.

It was a pretty good movie in my opinion- but it was one of the first Trek things I have ever watched, so I had not yet gotten to know the characters. Since then, I have watched it several times, still like it, still cry at the end. Even if there was OOC ness, Data dying is still absolutely heartbreaking. (Though not as heartbreaking as the end of TWOK... at least for me LOL). I actually would have watched it more, I would have watched all of my Trek DVDs more, had school not interfered. *thinks of geometry homework she still has to finish...*

Wasn't First Contact a great movie?  Then they follow it up with that syrupy Insurrection fiasco and then Nemesis.  You're right ... it is unfair to compare those two flicks to FC.  FC set the standard for TNG movies and I just don't know if they'll ever match it again.

265074[/snapback]

Gosh....I really liked Insurrection too.....I can't think of any of the Trek movies that I actually dislike, or failed to get something out of...maybe Star Trek V.

I loved the idea of the perfect moment in time, and the ability to hold onto a special moment. I loved that idea. I loved the scene with Geordi's first sunrise in Insurrection.

I am glad that there are different paces, tones, and emphasis in the different Trek movies. We would not be satisfied if they all had the same level of tension as FC. I loved FC from the first time I saw it, but could not relax for a moment in it.

Gosh....I really liked Insurrection too.....I can't think of any of the Trek movies that I actually dislike, or failed to get something out of...maybe Star Trek V.

I loved the idea of the perfect moment in time, and the ability to hold onto a special moment. I loved that idea. I loved the scene with Geordi's first sunrise in Insurrection.

I am glad that there are different paces, tones, and emphasis in the different Trek movies. We would not be satisfied if they all had the same level of tension as FC. I loved FC from the first time I saw it, but could not relax for a moment in it.

265345[/snapback]

:huh:I guess that I have a different idea about what constitutes a perfect moment in time than that tiresome Anige chick. It would not be listening to her drone on and on. :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started on how irritating I found that entire interaction between Data and the little kid. Brent Spiner should take a page from WC Fields ... Don't ever work with animals or children. <_<

Plus, I really had no sympathy for those B'aku folks anyway. I just didn't care about their predicament. The movie started off great ... Data ripping of his invisibility suit; Data disobeying orders; etc. etc. It just went steadily downhill from there. I found F. Murray Abraham's villain just not very scary or threatening ... what a waste of a good actor on that lame role.

You're right ... the movies each need to be different in theme and pace to keep the franchise fresh. One of my favorite ST movies is "The Voyage Home." I just wish that just once, just one time, they would get someone to write the screenplays who'd actually show some sort of respect to the character and storyline development from the series on which these movies are purportedly based. I don't mind lightness, I mind inexactitude in regard to what has gone before. (I MIND Deanna and Beverly discussing the perkiness of their breasts. I MIND Worf worrying about Klingon acne. These things are just not "right.")

Edited by gul_nodrog

In my opinion, it wasn't that great a film as IV or V, but it wasn't all to bad.

The OOCness was galling, though. Picard never speaks prsonally, and in that tone. It didn't fit. But other than that, I'm fine with it. =D

Watched it twice :rolleyes:

Wasn't First Contact a great movie?  Then they follow it up with that syrupy Insurrection fiasco and then Nemesis.  You're right ... it is unfair to compare those two flicks to FC.  FC set the standard for TNG movies and I just don't know if they'll ever match it again.

265074[/snapback]

265345[/snapback]

I got back home and watch that part again. Yeah. I really like the part Geordi gets to watch his first sunrise. Makes me wonder about the things we take for granted. But come to think about it, would Geordi have seen many sunrise in a holodeck?