Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

Doctor Pulaski

I really miss Dr. Pulaski! I never realized just how inept and silly Beverly Crusher was until we bought the season 2 DVDs, watched'em all and then bought season 3. I would have liked Pulaski to have stayed. She was a better actress, and I think had more potential as a character. She had an affair with Will's father, she did almost a complete 180 in regard to Data (her gradual change in attitude toward him was interesting to watch) and the episodes that were about her were far more engaging than those about Beverly in later seasons.

I used to think I didn't like her, but that was more than likely because it was what everyone else was saying at the time. Now that I've seen season 2 in its entirety, I really miss her. She was a really strong woman in a way that Deanna and Beverly never quite mastered.

I found her annoying. She was really egotistic and arrogant.

But I can see the angle you come from. Most Troi or Crusher episodes have bad plots and acting. I see the problem as not being able to develop the character.

I preferred he also. The actress' name was Diane Muldur (sp). She was also a guest on some of the TOS episodes.

Edited by Data

Both Pulaski and Crusher were annoying to me to a certain degree...but if I had to pick which one bugged me less, I would then pick Pulaski. She is definately the stronger character of the two.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Both Pulaski and Crusher were annoying to me to a certain degree...but if I had to pick which one bugged me less, I would then pick Pulaski. She is definately the stronger character of the two.

I agree. Why was she only on one season? She was definately a better doctor :o :o More businesslike. Crusher was too much flirty all the time with Picard. :dude:

We watched the special features on the season 3 DVDs and I was waiting for a big explanation as to why Beverly left the show and then came back. It was all very vague, though, so I'm still curious.

Does anyone know why Gates McFadden left the show after Season 1? Her choice or was it TPTB?

I agree. Why was she only on one season? She was definately a better doctor :dude::dude: More businesslike. Crusher was too much flirty all the time with Picard. :(

I do not remember as to why she was on for only one season exactly.

It will either come down to the popularity of the character of Dr. Crusher, or the fact that Gates McFadden was prepared to make a return to the cast of TNG.

Does anyone know why Gates McFadden left the show after Season 1? Her choice or was it TPTB?

If I am correct, it was her choice. I used to have the TNG Companion book, but I do not have it any longer so I cannot confirm this.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

It Would Have Been Interesting For Them Both To Be On The Show At The Same Time.

I could picture it:

Pulaski: "Crusher, this ship ain't big enough for the two of us. Scalpels at dawn, eh?"

Crusher: "Ooooooh, Jean Luc, make her stop being mean to me!"

I really nevered liked Dr. Pulaski. She was better than Crusher, but I didn't like her manner. I believe she could have made a better character in the third season if they didn't bring back Crusher.

I agree. Why was she only on one season? She was definately a better doctor :dude::dude: More businesslike. Crusher was too much flirty all the time with Picard. :(

I do not remember as to why she was on for only one season exactly.

It will either come down to the popularity of the character of Dr. Crusher, or the fact that Gates McFadden was prepared to make a return to the cast of TNG.

If I am correct, it was her choice. I used to have the TNG Companion book, but I do not have it any longer so I cannot confirm this.

Ms. McFadden left after one season because she felt that the show wasn't writting strongly enough for the women on the show. She left and then found that the show improved. She had wished to persue other offers given to her at the time.

Pulaski rocks. :dude:

I think she's way better than Crusher ( :dude: ) :( .

She's always... grumpy and all that, I like that about her character. I would have loved to see her staying aboard the Enterprise, replacing Crusher ( :dude: ) permanently. :dude: :o

Myself I always preferred Crusher over Pulaski. I did not like Pulaski's attitude and she was very egotistical. I had a problem with characters that think that they are better than everyone else.

Myself I always preferred Crusher over Pulaski.  I did not like Pulaski's attitude and she was very egotistical.  I had a problem with characters that think that they are better than everyone else.

I agree that Pulaski certainly started out that way, but I liked the way she didn't hum-hawl around with Picard. I love that first scene with her when Picard finds her in Ten Forward and starts trying to ream her a new one and she just tells him to sit down, you better hear this. (Deanna being impregnated by that alien thing and all).

Pulaski reminded me of Dr. McCoy in a way ... always in a foul mood, irrascible. I think she would have developed into one of our favorites if they'd kept her. Just my opinion.

I hated the way she treated Data at first, but even they came to have a good relationship by the end of the season. Maybe if Pulaski had been a man, we would have been less annoyed by her extreme confidence in herself ... I'm a woman, but even I'm guilty of that gender bias from time to time.

Myself I always preferred Crusher over Pulaski.  I did not like Pulaski's attitude and she was very egotistical.  I had a problem with characters that think that they are better than everyone else.

I agree that Pulaski certainly started out that way, but I liked the way she didn't hum-hawl around with Picard. I love that first scene with her when Picard finds her in Ten Forward and starts trying to ream her a new one and she just tells him to sit down, you better hear this. (Deanna being impregnated by that alien thing and all).

Pulaski reminded me of Dr. McCoy in a way ... always in a foul mood, irrascible. I think she would have developed into one of our favorites if they'd kept her. Just my opinion.

I hated the way she treated Data at first, but even they came to have a good relationship by the end of the season. Maybe if Pulaski had been a man, we would have been less annoyed by her extreme confidence in herself ... I'm a woman, but even I'm guilty of that gender bias from time to time.

I don't think that her gender played any part in my opinion of her. I have always had a problem with characters, either male or female that behave in that manner.

She was a good character, but in my opinion, she was too much of a Bones clone. I didn't particularly like Crusher, though. It would have been interesting to see what Pulaski would have become given a few more seasons.

As for McFadden leaving the show, I think one of the main reasons was that she was pregnant -- I believe by one of the show's crew. In fact, IIRC it was rape -- which would explain why she would not want to stay on the show. I am assuming that the man was fired after that, but I'm not sure.

I thought Pulaski was pretty good, although she was as you say a clone of Bones. It would have been nice to have seen more of her, and Crusher did bug me quite a bit sometimes, especially with some of her wooden acting.

I always liked Pulaski. Yeah, they were trying to bring back the McCoy/Spock conflicts, but I still thought she added a much needed spark to the show.

I'll tell you this ... I doubt we would have been subjected to that awful "The Host" episode from Season 4 if Pulaski had still been on board. Beverly kissing Will completely creeped me out. LOL

Beverly kissing Will completely creeped me out. LOL

254782[/snapback]

*shudder* Why did you have to remind me of that scene. *shudders again*

Beverly kissing Will completely creeped me out. LOL

254782[/snapback]

*shudder* Why did you have to remind me of that scene. *shudders again*

254783[/snapback]

*shudders also*

EEEUUUWWW!!! That was - just - so - ICKY!!! :)

I liked Dr. Pulaski's crusty, practical, no-nonsense, attitude. Too bad she wasn't on lomger. :)

I'll tell you this ... I doubt we would have been subjected to that awful "The Host" episode from Season 4 if Pulaski had still been on board.

*shudders* That is the most horrible episode of all time. Even worse than "Shades of Gray".

I hate that episode as well, though I must say that I liked Beverly loving another man and not looking at MY HUBBY. :) :)

Though I agree... Beverly kissing Riker was just :) :)

And Pulaski is the best :)

You know GN I agree with you; I like Crusher but looking back I find I do wish Pulaski had stuck around another season at least. Comparisons to McCoy aside she was funner (<word?) than Crusher and who's to say a personality like hers would not exist it that time.

I agree 100%, Pulaski is a much superior character. I have said this many times but I have always felt that the character of Pulaski embelished Data and his search to be more human. It is my opinion that had Pulaski stayed that she would have been a major player in the series and the films rather than the side character that Crusher was.

I'll tell you this ... I doubt we would have been subjected to that awful "The Host" episode from Season 4 if Pulaski had still been on board.  Beverly kissing Will completely creeped me out. LOL

254782[/snapback]

I personally never warmed up to Pulaski, it may have been the actress they picked as opposed to the character though. I always saw her in my mind as a TOS person and just never got used to her on TNG. Lwaxanna Troi/Nurse Chapel was different to me though, I don't know why but maybe it was the hair color lol.

As for "The Host", it wasn't an episode that sticks out in my mind for anyting other then we first learn of Trills in it. Without "The Host" we might not have had a Jadzia Dax or an Ezri Dax. And if it meant that Picard had to kiss Riker it would have been ok if it meant that we got Jadzia and Ezri later lol

dr pulaski whas bit everything one min.you like her and next you could not..but she was not on long enough to tell if i like her or not..

And if it meant that Picard had to kiss Riker it would have been ok if it meant that we got Jadzia and Ezri later lol

255968[/snapback]

Well thanks so much for that mental image. :) I'm going to be creeped out all week now.

And if it meant that Picard had to kiss Riker it would have been ok if it meant that we got Jadzia and Ezri later lol

255968[/snapback]

Well thanks so much for that mental image. :) I'm going to be creeped out all week now.

256009[/snapback]

Just wait till you have the dream about it tonight... :laugh:

255968[/snapback]

256009[/snapback]

Just wait till you have the dream about it tonight... :laugh:

256015[/snapback]

:laugh: *runs away screaming* Scare.gif