Sign in to follow this  
Q stole my bike

What Helps You Calm Down?

I have severe problems with this, my shrink even had to presribe xanax for me (I haven't had to take any in months, though) but I usually try to pull myself together in other ways, using the meds as a last resort if nothing else works. So, QSMB's tips for stress and/or anxeity relief:

-snuggling with my doggies

-chamomile tea

-some nice Star Trek (if I have the time)

-cheesecake

-meditation, yeah I know, I sound like a hippie (or maybe a Vulcan) but just sitting back, closing your eyes, breathing deeply, and not "following" any thoughts that come is a really pleasant experience.

So, what d you guys to do relax?

I write to calm me down. Mostly fiction and I would never let anyone read it. As a small child my mother use to make me write stories if I became too wound up. I would also exercise a lot. I now just write stories. I take my meds when I have to as with the Endometriosis I'm in pain physically a lot now so sometimes I'm not all there when I'm write or do anything else.

I also drink green tea with honey and ginseng. I do lemon balm and St Jonswort for depression. I also own something that is called a meditation zone, I don't know why but it helps. Old hippie maybe but I was born in the 60's and my parents were really very different at times.

Cheesecake sounds nice though.

Edited by BlueCrystal

Watching Star Trek definitely works for me. In fact Star Trek is my cure for lots of things..Stress, anxiety, loneliness, depression, anger..Hey whatever works for ya right ? Exercise also is good for calming me down..

Cheesecake works too.!! In fact I had a peice today..It cheered me up !!... :eekout:

I had problems with stress when I was in graduate school that was so severe that there were physical manifestations--I won't say what.

I used to go to sleep, sometimes sleeping 12 hours. Not being awake kept me from being inthe pressure cooker. I would be awake to go to class, serve as a TA, study, and eat. The rest of the time I would sleep. I did this the first two years of graduate school ( 2nd attempt). Eventually I adjusted to the pressure, and the extra sleep was not necessary.

-Posting

- a warm bath

-chamomile tea also

-chocolate

-video games

-the tele

-yelling at someone on kronos (and winning)

- and chatting with freinds

My husband. He can calm me down when nothing else can. Exercise works too, and vanilla coffee, but mostly if I'm really worked up I talk to Robert and he always knows just what to say and what not to say.

Stardate:124396.7

I listen to music and post here.As a matter of fact im a little worked up today so im here and im listening to "Civil War" by Guns N Roses

GOOD FOR YOU Q, :) :waaaa: IT TAKES alot NOT TO TURN TO DRUGS TO MAKE YOURSELF BETTER. xanax has terrible side effects. I took them for a while and couldn't walk. It did something to my nerves. It was terrible. :) I do whatever I have to now NOT to take any kind of drug. This site definately has helped me calm down, contrary to popular belief. B) :eekout: I talk to GOD alot, { PRAY}. That calms me immensley. Listen to Leonard Cohen, alot , even Monks listen to him. :) yepp! I talk with FEN, he's wonderful :dude: I write, journalize. Write poetry. Do you have a bath spa? That's nice. And lots of SUGAR, works for me. My new Machine, Waterfall with crickets, loons, sunrise, go get one. Even Baby Tongue loves it. OH! Yes, Baby Tongue, a great source of peace, any kind of pet. Something to snuggle with. OH and try to insult as many people as you can too, that's a great way to calm down :) :waaaa: OH and argue with " Spell Check"

Edited by Jeanway

Walking around my neighborhood

Friends

Music

TV

Shower

Sleep!

I write, drink tea (for the record, I prefer lemon or green or white), meditate and get whatever's stressing me out done. The latter usually helps the most.

I like to take out my instruments and play or sing. Exercising also helps me to relax. I love to go for nice long walks in the cool of the evening right before it gets really dark outside. Of course watching Trek really helps too.

Right now i am really pissed off but i am lucky i have friends here that help me calm down,with out them i would ended really angry.

Talking to my sister is calming me down right now after somebody really made me mad tonight. <_< That and cupcakes. :nono:

Play with my dog, painting a picture, going on long walks with my dog, or going on the internet. Did I forget chocolate! <_<

Edited by Odie

Working out at the gym or playing my guitar usually calms me down when I've had a stressful day.

Usually when I am stressed I talk to my friends or boyfriend and that usually helps me to calm down. If they aren't available then reading, going to the gym or watching some t.v. helps.