Sign in to follow this  

Trekkie Or Trekker?

Is Trekkie and Trekker two words meaning the same thing?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is Trekkie and Trekker two words meaning the same thing?

• Yes, it's just a personal preference.
    • No, there's a difference.

Why do some Star Trek fans hate the term "Trekkie". I've always considered myself a Trekkie, and I'm damn proud of it. The first time I ever heard "Trekker", Leonard Nimoy said in an interview that Trekker was more acceptable to the fans than Trekkie. I've never liked the term "Trekker". Trekkie was first. Could someone please explain?

My answer probably won't satisfy you but I prefer the term Trekker as well. To me trekkie is a condescending term and not very adult sounding. Kind of like being called Bobby, or Tommy or Joey, even though you may be over 40 years of age. Now if you prefer to be called a trekkie thats fine with me. Kind of like having a family member using a pet nickname for you that the rest of the world doesn't know, but to me it conjurs up somebody still wearing bobby socks and under the age of 16. Plus it just doesn't have that air of legitimacy and I found that the term trekkie is most often used to make fun of somebody who likes star trek. On the local radio stations where I live, when the conversation turns to star trek, the term trekkie is usually used in a negative and deriding way. That's just some of the reasons why I prefer Trekker.

Guest Ktrek

I think many fans early on felt that Trekkie gave more of a "cultlike" reputation. Kind of like the Moonies. Whereas, Trekker conveys more of a way of life and how we sojourn here in our existence. I personally have no problem with people calling me what they want. I just refer to myself as a Star Trek fan cause I don't take it up as a cult or a way of life. There are many values I hold to and find agreement with in Star Trek but there are some I don't. My profile would reveal more as to the why.

Ktrek

For as long as I can remember the only term I heard was trekkie.. trekker to me sounds like it would be a fan of TOS thats just what it sounds like to me.. :blink:

all hail Bev!! ;)

I think many fans early on felt that Trekkie gave  more of a "cultlike" reputation. Kind of like the Moonies. Whereas, Trekker conveys more of a way of life and how we sojourn here in our existence. I personally have no problem with people calling me what they want. I just refer to myself as a Star Trek fan cause I don't take it up as a cult or a way of life. There are many values I hold to and find agreement with in Star Trek but there are some I don't. My profile would reveal more as to the why.

Ktrek

Moonies ;) :blink: ???? I have heard this one before but I don't remember from where...

To me trekkie is a condescending term and not very adult sounding. Kind of like being called Bobby, or Tommy or Joey, even though you may be over 40 years of age. Now if you prefer to be called a trekkie thats fine with me. Kind of like having a family member using a pet nickname for you that the rest of the world doesn't know, but to me it conjurs up somebody still wearing bobby socks and under the age of 16.

I feel this way too. It (trekkie) brings up the image of a silly teenager giggling at the stars (actors) and asking stupid questions at a convention. But this is just my view and we are all good fans here, so no matter which one we choose, it just means we love Trek!

Guest Ktrek

Yillara,

Moonies are not followers of the moon or the moon's course but of a cult figure named Sun Myung Moon. He believes that he is the re-incarnation of Jesus Christ.nedico.gif

Ktrek

I think everyone has their own definition of what Trekkie and Trekker means which also causes some problems in discussions about the terms. To some Trekkies are more "hard core" than Trekkers. Others think Trekkies means TOS fans and Trekkers are fans of series starting with TNG. The non-Trek public seems to think of Trekkies in a more negative light which documentaries such as Trekkies sure did nothing to dispel. They focused so much on the "over the top" fans and seemed to be ridiculing them more than anything else.

I think it is so sad some of the demeaning behaviour we have to put up with when fans of other franchises who are even more over the top don't have that problem.

borgsmile.gif Trekkie, Trekker, doesn't matter to me. I'm a Star Trek fan. Call me what you will. :blink:

Yeah, I prefer Star Trek Fan Myself :blink:

I'm a member of the Official Star Wars Forums and I've observed that tha name "Trekkie" is used by Star Wars-Only Fans. Another thing I've noticed is that people who like Just Star Wars are more Immature than those who like Just Star Trek.

Ex:

DAMN TREKKIES!!

DEATH TO ALL TREKKIES!!!

I HATE STAR TREK YOU DAMN NERDS!!!!

and other stuff like that...sad really.

I was told when I was younger that trekker and trekkie were two different types of startrek fans.

to be a trekker ment that you were into the technology of trek (the battles, the ships, etc)

to be a trekkie ment that you were into the relationships of trek (the different species, the crew etc)

I think if that were the case I am a little bit of both so st fan works for me. :blink:

People call me lots of things way worse than either trekkie or trekker. I don't worry about that, I'm sure not gonna worry about anything negative regarding my love for Trek. HEHEHEHEHE :blink:

Yillara,

Moonies are not followers of the moon or the moon's course but of a cult figure named Sun Myung Moon. He believes that he is the re-incarnation of Jesus Christ.nedico.gif

Ktrek

OH! ;)

OK, I also found where I saw that word used before....geez those little kids have to be really careful in calling themselves that then....I was searching through to find lyrics for a few songs I like and in one page of lyrics sites links I saw that ...fans of the anime series "Sailor Moon" call themselves Moonies :blink: ! Wow, if they only knew who else uses that term...I can see parents asking their kids not to call themselves THAT anymore!!

I never liked the term Trekker. Isn't this one of things st.com had in people's profiles? Trekkie or Trekker. Trekkie is the older term. The term started in the 60's. Later on, people started using the term Trekker. They thought is was more sophisticated. Personally, I prefer being called a Star Trek Fan. If I had a choice between Trekkie or Trekker, I would chose Trekkie because it was the original name.

Guest Ktrek

I found this on the internet. I thought you all might get a chuckle out of it. :blink:

Ktrek

The Trekker vs Trekkie List

* A Trekker wears a starfleet uniform to a convention because it's fun.

* A Trekkie wears a starfleet uniform to a convention because s/he has heard that it is in style at the academy.

* A Trekker has a Starfleet Academy window sticker on his car.

* A Trekkie is cramming for the entrance exams.

* A Trekker meets Marina Sirtis/Gates McFadden at a convention, tells her how pretty he thinks she is, that it is too bad she is married or he would ask her out.

* A Trekkie meets Deanna Troi/Dr. Crusher at a convention, tells her how pretty he thinks she is, and asks her if she is still seeing Riker (Picard, some alien patient, et al).

* A Trekker loves watching the show, nitpicking and discussing it with friends.

* A Trekkie loves watching those documentaries filmed aboard the Enterprise.

* A Trekker thinks Wil Wheaton was a lucky kid who got to play a kid on Star Trek.

* A Trekkie thinks that Wesley Crusher was a lucky kid who got to sit on the bridge.

* A Trekker thinks that it is a shame that the show is coming to an end.

* A Trekkie thinks that it is a shame that the crew is being reassigned and the Enterprise is being decomissioned.

* A Trekker knows that there are gaping holes in the technology, but ignores them and enjoys the show.

* A Trekkie can't wait for the price to come down on those home food replicator units.

* A Trekker buys pips for the rank s/he wants to be.

* A Trekkie wonders why he is constantly passed over for promotion.

* A Trekker tells his/her new girl/boyfriend that s/he really likes Star Trek.

* A Trekkie's new girl/boyfriend is an underclassman at the academy.

* A Trekker wonders what sex in zero g would be like.

* A Trekkie wonders what sex would be like.

Does it really matter? Among star trek fans we do not take either term as offensive. And no matter which the fandom would choose the general public would simply use that term to belittle the fans. And as far as that goes I think that most of those that make the jokes have simply just not been able to understand the Star Trek universe.

People are afraid of what they do not understand.

I thought I would bump this thread after reading a couple of things posted in the thread about the mockumentary Trekkies 2. Is there really a distinction between Trekkies and Trekkers or is it just personal preference.

I'm also going to add a poll.

It's personal preference..They mean the same thing to me..-Star Trek fan..Myself, I consider myself to be a trekkie because I like the sound of that better..I don't find either word offensive..

Trekker can mean a walking person too. I do prefer to be called Trekkie, anyway.

I pesonally think there is a difference.

Trekkies- the ones who dress up in uniforms and live Trek in public

Trekkers- the ones who don't

that's the easiest definition. But I am not ashamed to be called either by anyone.