Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Overshadowing Kirk and co

In your opinion, do you feel that the TOS voyages are becoming less exciting and significant in the wake of what has happened in the subsequent series?

I agree somewhat, But i meet young fans all the time that seem to prefer TOS because it was the original. They understand it was the 60's and it wouldn't be as GOOD in a lot of ways as TNG etc. but they look past all of that nitpicking and get into the stories. That let's me know TOS will never die.

My group does Parades in costume and when we walk we hear people yell "Beam Me Up Scotty!", "He's Dead Jim" or "Live long and prosper" all TOS quotes. never anything from the other shows. it seems to be ingrained in peoples minds that "Trek" means Kirk,

Spock etc.

But i can see where you coud say TOS was being overshadowded. There are 4 other shows to chose from and only one TOS. That's why i hope "Enterprise" starts to bridge the gap toward TOS. More familliar aliens, ancestors of the TOS crew. I guess you know where i'm going with this. Anyway...TOS LIVES!!!!!! :) :)

No, I don't think so. Many of the plotlines were relevant to the issues of the 60s. It's amazing to me how many could be applied to the issues of today.

No, I don't think so.  Many of the plotlines were relevant to the issues of the 60s.  It's amazing to me how many could be applied to the issues of today.

That's true :)

TOS was my first love. My first fan fics were TOS. I cut my teeth on TOS. NOTHING will ever cause me to think ill of TOS.

NOTHING!

I agree that the sayings that have stuck with us are all from TOS. WHile I adore Data, you more often hear "fascinating" from Spockused as a Trek phrase, rather then Data's "Intriguing."

I know many don't get into it as much, but if the youth can get past the fact that the FX were not high tech, they will see what matters most in quality tv....heart.

I grew up on kirk and co. and like many say the fx was not that good I always thought that it was really good for its time TOS is classic trek if you did not have TOS you would not have all the others.

No, I don't think so.  Many of the plotlines were relevant to the issues of the 60s.  It's amazing to me how many could be applied to the issues of today.

Stardate:213460.9

I agree.I think thats what got some people into TOS because it realted to what was going on in the world around them.

TOS was my first love. My first fan fics were TOS. I cut my teeth on TOS. NOTHING will ever cause me to think ill of TOS.

NOTHING!

I agree that the sayings that have stuck with us are all from TOS. WHile I adore Data, you more often hear "fascinating" from Spockused as a Trek phrase, rather then Data's "Intriguing." 

I know many don't get into it as much, but if the youth can get past the fact that the FX were not high tech, they will see what matters most in quality tv....heart.

:lol:

If somebody can't look past the fx they're missing the whole point of Star Trek. TOS will always have a special place in my heart. heartthumping.gif

TNG,DS9 and Voyager actually got me more interested in Tos...i know its sad, but as I watched the latter day adventures of Tng , I wanted to see how it all began..plus Spock and Mcoy fighting is not to be missed.

When I asked the question 'was tos overshadowed by the successive series I wasnt referring to the effects or the fact that it was old. What I meant was were the storylines of TNG and so forth not more exciting? I mean, the Borg, the Dominion war, etc.

When I asked the question 'was tos overshadowed by the successive series I wasnt referring to the effects or the fact that it was old. What I meant was were the storylines of TNG and so forth not more exciting? I mean, the Borg, the Dominion war, etc.

TOS had some exciting story lines. What about "Space Seed" (the episode where we are introduced to Khan)? I believe the movie that was a take off of that episode is still the most popular of the Star Trek movies.

Khan and a few others in a sleeper ship vs billions of Borg?

Though WOK is the best movie from the point of view of thew way in which it was written and directed.

I have enjoyed every series of Trek, including TOS. Granted I was not even born when the shows originally aired I have made it a point to see as many of them as I can. I do not think that the other series have overshadowed Kirk and his crew in the slightest. Yes, some of the enemies are better, but that is due to the advances in FX. Personally there are a few TOS episodes that I can never see enough of, and not because of FX or big enemies but because they embody the soul of trek, and that is dealing with issues that we are facing in our current time, and how this issues can be self destructive to a society.

As a child I use to watch TOS when it was part of this block of science fiction shows that were shown along with Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers of the 25th century and Wonder Woman. Although at the time Battlestar and Buck Rogers had better effects and space battles (star wars style) I always preferred watching TOS because I loved the characters and thought that the stories were so much better and kept my attention. Wonder Woman on the other hand help me go through early puberty.

I think that a lot of the TOS episodes can stand up to any episodes from the other series. "Where No Man Has Gone before","Balance Of Terror", "Mirror, Mirror", "Enterprise Incident", "Enemy Within" "Amok Time", "City On The Edge Of Forever", "Space Seed", "Day Of The Dove" and "Trouble with Tribbles" to name a few. Sure they had a few stinkers but so did the other series.

I don't think so at all! Each star trek is good in it's onwn way, and has it's strengths and weaknesses, and so what if the FX aren't that good, and the plots are a bit off the wall (only some of them), we watch it for other reasons, like the characters, the acting, the good plots, and the knowledge that this was the show that started it all (plus, watching the FX can be pretty funny, as well as shatner's over-acting)

I'm old school trek. TOS was my first interest in trek years ago. I do think that several younger fans know very little of or are not interested in TOS. But does not mean it's not a significant show I think it means people's tastes in Entertainment have changed. And that's not always for the better.

If somebody can't look past the fx they're missing the whole point of Star Trek. TOS will always have a special place in my heart. heartthumping.gif

I totally agree....LONG LIVE TOS!!! :lol: :laugh:

Absolutely not.I believe TOS remains a vital and exciting part of the ever-growing Star Trek mythos.This especially is true with the paperback novels.Some of those stories,while unofficial and occasionally just plain silly,are great.

Not a chance Prometheus.

In fact,it seems that the more often I watch these old episodes of Star Trek,the more I learn about the characters,planets,events happening within them...

Most of the issues tackled in those old shows are still relevant,too...

prejudice,fear of growing old,distrust of the young,fear of the unknown,peaceful co-existance,etc...

TOS,gotta love it :borg2:

Edited by admiralpeewee

Personally there are a few TOS episodes that I can never see enough of, and not because of FX or big enemies but because they embody the soul of trek, and that is dealing with issues that we are facing in our current time, and how this issues can be self destructive to a society.

Says it all, :clap: ddillard

I know a new Trekkie (don't let her hear you call her a trekkie though :clap: ) that likes TOS better then any of the other series that she's seen. She has explained to me that she likes the "people" stories much more then the alien or FX episodes. Since TOS had a limited budget there were a lot more "people" stories and fewer FX and Aliens. So the stories still shine as brightly now after 40 years as they did when they were new.

The TOS crew were space explorers in the truest sense, nearly every episode delt with some unknown alien world or life-force. Add to that the terrific stories and you have one of the best television shows ever produced ... I love space exploration.

I can't really comment on TNG since I only watched the first few episodes of the first season, but that was enough for me to realize that this crew didn't explore as much and were "policemen" more than explorers.

DS9? They were based on a space station for crying out loud!

I liked Voyager and felt they were moving back to Gene's original "wagon train in space" concept and exploring the universe as "space pioneers". But there was something missing in Voyager that I just can't put my finger on ... maybe captain Kirk? LOL!

I have yet to see Enterprise but am making it a point to see it this week. It appears as though they may have gone full circle now back to space exploration?

That's true :)

I agree, the appeal of the OS was the storylines. A lot of the issues they raised have yet to be resolved so they will always be relevant to me.

DS9? They were based on a space station for crying out loud!

But that's the great thing about DS9, we are in one base location with a whole new quadrant to explore. We also get the explorers from all over that are heading to the wormhole as well as coming in the other direction through the wormhole. This is a space station based at the mouth of newest "final frontier". So not only do we get great exploration of outer space but we also get great exploration of the station, the characters and the various races that we meet there. There are entire episodes that explore the culture of different ST races. It struck me once while watching "Ferengi Love Songs" that no other ST series could pull off what DS9 had. That episode was almost entirely done with no human characters in it. Only at the very beginning do we see a few humans and Bajorans, but once the opening credits roll we are entirely on Ferengar. Voyager couldn't do an entirely alien episode, TNG couldn't do it and Enterprise couldn't do it. DS9 could because of the depth of the character development that was done. And this wasn't the only episode to focus on an alien race making humans less then a sub-plot.

DS9 was a much deeper series then any of the other 4 series. (Yes DS9 was my favorite series lol)