Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Do You Listen To The Radio?

Do you listen to the radio outside of the car?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you listen to the radio outside of the car?

• Yes-AM Radio
    • Yes-FM Radio
    • Yes-XM Radio
    • Yes-A combination thereof
    • No
    • Radio?What's that?I've been under a rock for the past 90years

I listen to both AM and FM. AM 620 WTMJ out of Milwaukee, the "Brewers, Badgers, Packers, and Bucks Flagship", FM 99.5 WUSN, AKA US99 Country from Chicago, and FM 106 (106.1) the Milwaukee country station.

I listen to FM radio in my home. It always used to be the local country station but recently I've been listening to a classic rock station..WZLX.. :force:

I actually listen to the radio at work sometimes - I have earphones and if I don't have a lot of calls to make I listen to classic rock. I've tried internet radio but I have dial up and the reception is pretty poor.

K-LOVE and Air 1 in the car; mainly just K-LOVE in the house.

Oh, that would be FM and sometimes online broadcast.

Edited by Ace

For am it's KNSS newstalk, to hear neal boortz, i listen to KFH (fm) at night during coast to coast am, amd i listen to B98 (sorta classical?), KFDI (fm country), and KZSN (also fm country). I would listen to KFH more but they stoped broadcasting dreamland and the warp zone (a sci-foo talk show :force: ). :hug:

Yes, in close proximity to running water, ZZZZZTTTTTT!!!! Almost on a regular basis :force::hug:

Oh, I listen to FM, The Ride, it's an Oldies Station, but I like it anyway.

Edited by Jeanway

No, I don't like being told what kind of music, movies, books or lifestyle I should choose by some idiot who's main credentials are the ability to blabber non-stop for hours and play what they're told to play. But, hey, that's just me.

No, I don't like being told what kind of music, movies, books or lifestyle I should choose by some idiot who's main credentials are the ability to blabber non-stop for hours and play what they're told to play.  But, hey, that's just me.

Idiot? Too far. TOO FAR! I can't beleive it. Someone has finally made me too mad to speak.

*Is going to school in hopes of being a DJ* :force:

I like to think my intellegence level ranks slightly higher than "idiot."

Edited by trekkieat9

Yeah, well, my impressions are based on a couple of part-time DJs I knew. Not the real thing, but one was completely overbearing and obsessed with music that you could really only listen to in a club. He was continuously berating the taste in music of all the people around him. The other one was some clown who tried to get a job and during the interview told me he might have a gig on night's before work and need to take the next day off. Obviously I scratched him off the list of likely candidates without a second thought. Perhaps my view has been biased because of these two fools.

I doubt they bothered to go to school to study the ins and outs of the trade. No offense. I just don't like other people telling me what I should do and that seems to be what radio has deteriorated into. It's not that it wasn't always like that to some extent, but now most stations are owned by the same people and play the same trash. I refuse to even attach the antenna to my stereo.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

I used to listen to AM radio all the time. They say AM format is lower tech, and lower quality, but I love it. My favorite station switched from AM to FM though, so they kind of ruined the station for us. Mostly because we no longer receive it very well. Well, I can if I hand on to the antenna of my radio and this yoga postion...but lets just say thats not very easy to do. So, now I listen almost constantly to FM. Country mostly. Some rock. A little bit of classical and oldies.

I used to listen to AM radio all the time.  They say AM format is lower tech, and lower quality, but I love it.  My favorite station switched from AM to FM though, so they kind of ruined the station for us.  Mostly because we no longer receive it very well.  Well, I can if I hand on to the antenna of my radio and this yoga postion...but lets just say thats not very easy to do.  So, now I listen almost constantly to FM.  Country mostly.  Some rock.  A little bit of classical and oldies.

:force: I remember holding onto a few antennae myself when I was younger and interested in radio.

Yeah, well, my impressions are based on a couple of part-time DJs I knew.  Not the real thing, but one was completely overbearing and obsessed with music that you could really only listen to in a club.  He was continuously berating the taste in music of all the people around him.  The other one was some clown who tried to get a job and during the interview told me he might have a gig on night's before work and need to take the next day off.  Obviously I scratched him off the list of likely candidates without a second thought.  Perhaps my view has been biased because of these two fools.

I doubt they bothered to go to school to study the ins and outs of the trade.  No offense.  I just don't like other people telling me what I should do and that seems to be what radio has deteriorated into.  It's not that it wasn't always like that to some extent, but now most stations are owned by the same people and play the same trash.  I refuse to even attach the antenna to my stereo.

Very biased. I mean, I'm obsessed with music. Crap, its practically my life. Some ppl are like those two though. They try to look so cool, they're in it for the name, not the game. I suggest in future you expand your horizens past two people of a type. You might find out that a whole barrell of apples, so to speak, is not the same as the two green ones you pull out first. Also, if you doubt they are only part time, and you dont think they know the ins and outs of the trade, please, in future, do not class them with the full time, or even part time for that matter, professionals of the trade.

My favorite station in the whole world was brought down a peg by the listeners. Its the listeners that's ruined radio. The station was running a contest, and the lady called in, fit to be tied becuase the contestants were giving their full names on air. She thought it might lead to stalkers or something. WEll, that could be. But someone could choose to do that if you ran into them at a resturant. True idiots complain about minor things, then other people who realize they are being stupid refust to stand up and defend the stations. It's total crap. (Makes you wander why I want to get involved, huh?)

Edited by trekkieat9

Listen well kind of in and out of the car but not the way you think. I'm a Amateur Radio Operator/ A Ham Operator and a rarer one being that I'm female. I am currently just a Tech-Plus and I should be studying to get a General class license but I'm hoping that in a year or two the FCC with just *Grandfather* us to that classification. As for listening to commercial radio, yes at times I do listen. Crystal

Listen well kind of in and out of the car but not the way you think.  I'm a Amateur Radio Operator/ A Ham Operator and a rarer one being that I'm female.  I am currently just a Tech-Plus and I should be studying to get a General class license but I'm hoping that in a year or two the FCC with just *Grandfather* us to that classification.  As for listening to commercial radio, yes at times I do listen.  Crystal

LOL You should hear my mom and my uncle on the subject of them making Ham liscence easier to get. Mom goes on and on aobout how she had to copy so many words a minute.....its funny. My uncle, mom, dad, aunt, other uncle, all three cousins, were all operators at one point. Most of them pretty much stopped messing with it though, unfortunately. I was never really into it myself, but met some wonderful people going to the picnics.

Very biased.  I mean, I'm obsessed with music.  Crap, its practically my life.  Some ppl are like those two though.  They try to look so cool, they're in it for the name, not the game.  I suggest in future you expand your horizens past two people of a type.  You might find out that a whole barrell of apples, so to speak, is not the same as the two green ones you pull out first.  Also, if you doubt they are only part time, and you dont think they know the ins and outs of the trade, please, in future, do not class them with the full time, or even part time for that matter, professionals of the trade.

Wait, I knew one more and he was another one. That's 3 for 3. Sooner or later you have to start cutting your losses and stop wasting time getting to know people who aren't going to turn out to be worth talking to. Maybe it was them or maybe it was me or more likely some combination between our personalities that doesn't work, but whenever I meet a DJ now, I just try to get away. It's best for both of us.

Very biased.  I mean, I'm obsessed with music.  Crap, its practically my life.  Some ppl are like those two though.  They try to look so cool, they're in it for the name, not the game.  I suggest in future you expand your horizens past two people of a type.  You might find out that a whole barrell of apples, so to speak, is not the same as the two green ones you pull out first.  Also, if you doubt they are only part time, and you dont think they know the ins and outs of the trade, please, in future, do not class them with the full time, or even part time for that matter, professionals of the trade.

Wait, I knew one more and he was another one. That's 3 for 3. Sooner or later you have to start cutting your losses and stop wasting time getting to know people who aren't going to turn out to be worth talking to. Maybe it was them or maybe it was me or more likely some combination between our personalities that doesn't work, but whenever I meet a DJ now, I just try to get away. It's best for both of us.

Gee, three for three. That MUST account for every DJ in the WORLD!! Ok, bottom line, you don't have to like DJ's. No one does. From the time I was a small child, I've wanted to be in the music business. Since I can't sing, this is my best choice. I've also been taught not to care what people think. So, you can think what you want, its your choice. I just think that what you think, is a very sad thing.

Edited by trekkieat9

:force: I had to do five words a minute to get my license and I didn't go to any classes to learn about it as in Ohio in the 80's most of the classes just had men in them and it was kind of like a *men's only club* back then so I studied the Tune In The World book and learned the Morse code off of tapes and was given a key to practice with. I aced the test and quit instead of going on to take the General test.

:force:  I had to do five words a minute to get my license and I didn't go to any classes to learn about it as in Ohio in the 80's most of the classes just had men in them and it was kind of like a *men's only club*  back then so I studied the  Tune In The World book and learned the Morse code off of tapes and was given a key to practice with.  I aced the test and quit instead of going on to take the General test.

My dad got my mom into it. She in turn, got everyone else into it. When she started, it was all men too. That was before I was born, so that would have been the early 80's I guess. I can still remember going with my cousins to take their tests. My middle cousin kept asking me ansswers, like I should know at five years old. lol I'm glad to hear you want to go for you General's though. More people really should get into it. I want to....I just can't. Personal reasons I guess.

My husband got me into it. He and his first wife went to classes for it back in the late 70's and he became a Tech/ what is now known as a Tech-Plus but she remained a Noviceup until she became a silent key. My in-laws are into it too, first my mother-in-law and then my father-in-law. With my husband being a radio/ phone freak it had to happen and he drove me crazy until I agreed to get my license. I won't allow my husband to bug his sons about it, I just figure that if they want to talk to their father they will figure out he's on the radio.

On AM, I like to tune in the Twins baseball games. Or, on FM, I may tune in to a classic rock or a easy listening station. Occasionally, I will tune to a local Christian station to listen to a program such as "Unshackled" or a speaker such as Charles Swindoll.

RSV that's like saying that because 2 or 3 trekkies put on their starfleet uniforms first thing in the morning and and call themselves captain that we're all doing that. You can't judge a whole group of people by the actions a few. And to say I've known 3 DJ's who were idiots so I better avoid them all, well you're likely missing out on getting to know some great people. Your loss.

I've known 3. I've listened to a lot more... obviously. I'm simply stating that I believe radio is a waste of time and a tool used by the music industry to manipulate people's tastes at the hands of DJs who are only too happy to oblige and play garbage. Not only am I tired of most of the music sold to the masses via radio and TV, I'm completely exasperated by the fact that you have to listen to the #1 song almost every hour and repeats of the rest of whatever's in vogue for weeks on end. I'm not stating that every radio station does this, but many do and DJs are part of it all - so I really can't be bothered to listening to them rant about the latest, greatest thing.

I'm talking about DJs moreso as people who play music, not individuals, although I did reference the 3 I've known so I can see how some of you may have thought it was more of a personal comment. If other people like radio, that's fine - I don't care one bit. I'm not talking about individuals, but the typical radio personality. I can't stand listening to their rambling, pointless commentary or their playlists. Listening to the radio is one of the least productive things I can think of doing.

Also, I'm not missing out on getting to know great people. I know a lot of great people, and I've managed to get to know them by cutting out those unlikely to be worth knowing early on. The 3 I knew all had one thing in common that I can't stand: They talked too much BS and enjoyed hearing themselves talking more than actually communicating with people. How many more do I need to suffer before I can write them off? (Obviously this last paragraph is on a personal level).

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

yeah i listen to FM radio a lot right now i am listening to a dutch station called ID&T DANCE.... :thumbs:

Edited by hangon

I listen to FM but i despertly want XM because the radio reception in the mountains is HORRABLE!! :) I mean you cant even move while listening to the raido it gets all fuzzy :thumbs:

My good friend HANGON likes to listen to ID&t DANCE (so are the ppl who work for me) but when i am on the workfloor we listen to RADIO 2 with the best Music of the 70th and 80th(becouse i am the boss) and when i am out they can listen their music.(actualy i don,t thik it is music, but thats a matter of taste, or is it that i am over 30 yo)???

I listen to the radio 6 hours a day 6 days a week. I am a DJ and have been doing so for almost 8 years. It is a great job just the pay is not so great.