Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Ever hang around airports just to watch?

I've taken a few flying lessons, but only in small planes. But there is nothing like being there to watch something Massive take off or land. I get that same feeling when I watch some scenes on Startrek. :)

:tomcat:

I have and I love it. Airports are great places to hang out, have a cappuccino and watch the planes and people.

Oh yeah I've done that! :) There's a spot downtown very close to the end of the runway where we plane watchers gather to see them coming in over us at about 100 yards up. Breathtaking!

My ex boyfriend was a pilot so I should have had many reasons to hang around on airports... But I never did, it didn't interest me B)

And it still doesn't. Now even less than before. :laugh:

Mrs. Captain Picard

You can't do that anymore because the Army guys will arrest you because your suspicious :laugh:

Yea, I know. Those darn terrorists are ruining it for everybody :laugh:

{ double meaning there } B)

Well, I live near a municipal airport (small planes) so I watch (hear) all of the time.

I did go to some park near the National Airport once and watch planes with a friend. It was pretty interesting.

Yes I have...There are picnic tables at the end of the runways, out side the fence...

its neat at night..you can lay on the tables and the planes go over you as they land

I love it.....

watching the planes take off and land is awsome. but not as awsome as actually being on it. and also at sunrise or sunset, it is such a BEAUTIFUL sight to behold.

Not really. I won't say I hate flying because I'm pretty indifferent to it. I tend to make two or three long-haul flights a year which is more than enough to put me off hanging out at airports. There's not much charm to it for me anymore, just frustration: with the ill-mannered security guards, throwers (baggage "handlers") and bad, overpriced food, there are few places I'd rather avoid more than an airport.

They do have a certain ambience about them that make them exciting and I have to admit I wanted to be a pilot when I was younger. I didn't have enough money to go for a pilot's license so I briefly took up skydiving instead. Trust me, getting off the plane is a lot more exciting than being in the airport.

Oh yeah I've done that!  :) There's a spot downtown very close to the end of the runway where we plane watchers gather to see them coming in over us at about 100 yards up. Breathtaking!

You're in San Diego, right, AE? ever been in one of the buildings that are under the landing pattern? I liked going to Coronado and watching the Navy planes land.

I live near the main UPS hub, at night they land one every 2 minutes one right after another. You can watch them all circle and land one after another, I''ll admit it's very cool to watch.

It was fun when I was a kid. I guess it's still pretty cool now, though. :)

Just watched some C150's take off from Mitchell Field in Milwaukee. I still can't believe they can get that huge tub into the air. :unsure: