Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ktrek

Movie reviews

Guest Ktrek

My wife and I love movies. We would rather watch movies than almost anything other than Star Trek. In the last couple of weeks we have watched about a dozen movies. I'll try and list what I remember and give a brief comment about them. Please feel free to tell us what you have seen, what you liked or didn't like and why. I've rated on a 5 star scale. 5 being the best.

The Rock - This one stars Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage. Cage always surprises me by his versatility as an actor. Of all the more modern actors he can really act and do well with whatever material is given him. This was a great suspense thriller. I would say that anyone who likes action films, thriller and James Bond style flicks would enjoy it. I would buy this one. 4 stars

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Sean Connery again. This movie never really worked for me. I tried to like it. Thought many of the SFX were cool but the story fell flat. I would never purchase it or desire to see it again although I would probably give it a chance if a sequel were made. 2 stars

The Pallbearer - This starred David Schwimmer (from Friends) and Gwyneth Paltrow. I don't know why we rented this as Schwimmer's character Ross on Friends is the one character we don't like on the show. I guess I decided to give him a try and because we usually like most Paltrow movies. This movies was pretty lame. Don't waste the dollar rental fee. Would not buy. 1 star

Walk on the Moon - This starred Diane Lane and Viggo Mortenson(Aragorn from Lord Of The Rings). This is not a film for children to watch. A couple of scenes are a little steamy but the overall story is well acted and believable. It's a period movie taking place in the late sixties. The casting, direction et. al. were fabulous. I love Diane Lane! She is one of the best actresses of our time and very underrated. This movie is a little sad but worth a view. Might buy this one. 4 stars

Harrison's Flowers - Andie MacDowell - Very moving and disturbing film. Well acted and directed. If you don't like movies like "Private Ryan", "The Killing Fields" etc. then stay away from this heart wrenching story about the ugliness of war and the inhumanity human beings can inflict on others. Glad I saw it but don't think I could watch it again. 4 1/2 stars

Under The Tuscan Sun - Diane Lane - Diane Lane is so sexy and beautiful in this film. The scenery is wonderful in Tuscany, Italy. The directing and photography is a sight to behold. Some would call this a chick flick. I prefer to think of it as a romantic drama with an actress who is becoming legendary. We bought a copy of this one after having seen it. 4 stars

S.W.A.T - Colin Farrell - Pretty boy Colin Farrell is eye candy for the ladies. This action thriller has some good moments BUT never quite lives up to it's full potential. Perhaps if there is a sequel it will. Would not buy but enjoyed it. 3 stars

A Wedding For Bella - Scott Baio - Scott does a very good job in this cute little romance comedy. I found it a very enjoyable film. Nice rental. 2 1/2 stars

Blind Date - Kim Bassinger, Bruce Willis - This is a cute romantic comedy that often has you laughing out loud. It was written and directed by Blake Edwards(Pink Panther fame) so that should give you an idea of what to expect. This is an older movie and one of Willis' first after leaving "Moonlighting" but still shows his inimitable style. Good rental. 3 stars

Dark City - Don't think there were any big names in this one. If you like dark, weird sci-fi stories you would probably like it. Not as good as the Matrix but it often gets compared to it. I didn't really like it. Would not buy. 2 star

Lion King 1 1/2 - This is a very clever and entertaining sequel to the Lion King. It shows the events of the Lion King from Timon and Pumbaa's side. Had me really laughing out loud at times. This I would buy. Video quality is about as good as the original. Does not look like the typical Disney "Direct to Video" release. 3 1/2 stars

Batman The Movie - The original 1966 Adam West Batman. We bought this one because we just find the series so entertaining and at $5.50 at Wallmart how can you go wrong. Very fun, campy, humorous. 3 stars

That's all I can think of for now. I'll try and add to this thread as we view other movies.

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

The Rock - This one stars Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage. Cage always surprises me by his versatility as an actor. Of all the more modern actors he can really act and do well with whatever material is given him. This was a great suspense thriller. I would say that anyone who likes action films, thriller and James Bond style flicks would enjoy it. I would buy this one. 4 stars

I can only give this movie a 3/5. It is a great movie with lots of action and Connery and Harris do great acting jobs, but I must say that Nicholas Cage sucked bad in this movie. He is such a bad actor, IMO. All his lines in The Rock really brought the movie down, especially at the beginning. But other than Cage, the movie is quite good. Still, it gets a 3 in my books.

Ok since nobody else is participating I will add some more.

The Lion King

I watched this the Saturday night with some friends. I must say this is by far the best Disney movie ever. The story is absolutely amazing. Look past the Disney movie and you will see an absolutely enthralling film. And the imagery is great. After Mufasa saves Simba from the hyenas and Simba is walking behind his dad and steps in his dad's pawprint and it is enormous compared to his own. Wow. And the music is absolutely amazing. I'm not really talking about the lyrical songs here, but the instrumental score of the film. It is overpowering and really adds atmosphere to the film. I give it a 10/10.

Wayne's World

Watched this on Saturday as well. Pretty funny. I have always loved this movie. It is defenitely one of Mike Myers' best. But I had not seen it for a long time, so some of the humour seemed a little too slapstick. But all in all it is still a fun movie, but nothing deep about it. Haha. I give it a 7.5/10.

Snatch

Oh my. I love this film. Guy Ritchie was a really amazing director, before he married Madonna. This film has style, has a great story, and has truly memorable characters. Jason Stathom never ceases to amaze me. He was great in Lock, Stock, great in The Italian Job, and he is great in this. And Brad Pitt is also very good in this film, playing a gypsy bare-knuckel boxer whom is very hard to understand. This movie is so much fun and the story is great. I recommend this highly. I give it a 10/10.

ok, heres some...

Over All Review

Tremors I, II, & III

Good movies, good special effects, for the time they where made anyways. Kind of corny acting, but still good.

Personal Reviews

Tremors I

Made:1990

By: MCA Universal

Comments: Reallly good spec/FX, and Vis/FX for its time, although some parts of it were REALLY fake. Acting was ok, although some of it was so stupid, and corny.

Walter(ME) Rating: ****. Four Stars Outa Five.

Tremors II

Made:1995

By: MCA Universal

Comments: Good Acting, Good Spec/FX, & Vis/FX. Especially good effects when it came to the Shriekers those where awesome. It was pretty Gory though, although, some parts where REALLY funny :laugh:

Walter Rating: *****. Five Stars Outa Five

Tremors III

Made:2001

By: Universal

Comments: AWESOME FX, Both Vis/Spec. AWESOME ACTING! This was WAY better then the two prequels, and it was SOOOOOOO funny. I especially liked the BLAH(Not Actual Name, Edited)Blasters, they where kool.

Walter Rating:*****. Five Outa Five

I'm going to have to disagree with you LOTB. Lol. I absolutely hated Tremors. It was so campy and cheesy. I couldn't believe how bad the acting was.

Under the Tuscan Sun...I loved the movie aswell...makes you want to sell

everything and move to Italy...I also bought a copy.

Flower and Garnett...Independant film....great acting....no big stars thou...I

loved this one too.

Edited by v_seven

Ok... I think I'll do a few.

Radio, Cuba Gooding Jr., Ed Harris. An excellent film about a small-town football coach who decides to defy his townspeople's expectatons and help out a mentally retarded boy. I laughed, I cried, a good movie. Acting: Superb. Story: True. Smiles: :laugh::assimilated::assimilated::laugh:

Actually that's all I have time for right now! gtg!

~T

Guest Ktrek

Well, we watched a couple more movies this week. A friend of mine lent me the Hallmark production called:

The 10th Kingdom - This is a mini-series that aired on TV. It's approximately 7 hours long. My wife and I watched the first hour. Finally I turned to her and said "I don't know about you but I don't think I can take another 6 hours of this". She agreed and so instead we put on...... 1 star

Star Trek VI Special Edition - I have seen this movie many many times but I have to say that seeing it in anamorphic widescreen on our 51 inch TV was really great. The picture quality and transfer is really good. Have not had time to watch the special features disc yet but will before the week is up. 4 1/2 stars

Son of Paleface - Starring Bob Hope, Jane Russell and Roy Rogers - We bought this classic out of the $5.50 bin at Wallmart and it was well worth the price. One of the funniest and zaniest of all of Bob's movies. If you want something that is good clean family fun then perhaps you should check it out. They just don't make em like this anymore! 3 1/2 stars

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Guest Ktrek
I'm going to have to disagree with you LOTB. Lol. I absolutely hated Tremors. It was so campy and cheesy. I couldn't believe how bad the acting was.

I think the campy/cheesy part is what makes the Tremors movies and even the TV series so fun! I know campy is not for everyone. I usually enjoy movies that are so bad they are good. Like all the original Buster Crabb Flash Gordon movies. Even the 1980 movie was campy but cool. Batman with Adam West is campy and cheesy but a lot of fun.

Ktrek

The last two movies I saw:

"Bulletproof Monk": 4.5 stars. Great movie. Chow Yun Fat may be the greatest action star of our time. He is one of the few action stars who brings depth to his characters (I also recommend "The Replacement Killers").

"The Professional": 5 stars. I am NOT referring to the Sly Stallone movie (which was good, but not as good as this one). This is the one with Jean Reno (remember the French spy in "Godzilla"?), a much younger Natalie Portman (I think she was 11 or 12 when this movie was made), and one of the all-time great bad guys Gary Oldman. Plot synopsis:

Click for Spoiler:

Oldman plays a DEA agent (who uses a little too much of the product, if you know what I mean) who kills Portman's family. Portman moves in with next door neighbor Reno, who is a hitman for the Mob. Oldman is trying to kill Portman, but Reno keeps getting in the way.

What makes this movie great is the interaction between Reno and Portman. The action in the film is icing on the cake.

Regarding previous reviews:

Tremors: 4 stars (LOTB & Ktrek, I agree). The give and take between Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward is priceless. As for the movie's "cheesiness", that is part of its' charm.

Star Trek VI: 4.5 stars (Ktrek, I agree). One of the most underrated of the Trek films. General Chang (Christopher Plummer) was one of the great Trek bad guys.

sorry havent done this in while

Jurassic Park I,II,II Overall Review;

Pretty good, but it could be better. The animatronics were good, SPECFX/VISFX where good, but sometimes you could tell they dinosaurs where puppets.

OverAll Walter Rating: ****/*****. 4/5

Jurassic Park I Personal Review

Made:June 11th,1993

By:Universal Studios

Pretyy good, but it could be better. The T-REX was kool, but you could tell(in some parts) it was an animatronic machine. The raptors would kool, but could'a been better. The ACTING ROCKED! they actually looked like they were scared. Gonna have to rate this one on the animation and animatronics.

***/*****3/5

Jurassic Park II Personal Review

Made:May 3rd, 1999

By:Universal Studios

Awesome! The compys scared the BLAH outa me, especially when they killed that guy. The animation was WAY better then the first 1, But not as good as the 3rd one. Walter Rating: ****/***** 4/5.

Jurassic Park III

Made: 07/18/2001

By: Unversal Studios

It was ok, but the storyline didn't really make any sense, don't know if anyone else noticed this or not, but i thought the Spec FX was ok and the VIS fx was ok too, but still, the storyline sucked. The animation was ok, and the animatronics could use some touching up, but otherwise its all good!

Walter Rating: ***/**** 3/5.

---------------------------------------------------------

Comments On All: The animation was good but they didnt have the same things as in the books By Michael Chricton's Jurassic Park I & II. He didnt write the third one, i don't know what it is from. Parts from both JPI, and JPII that weren't in those movies i guess, or they just made it up.

=====================================================

i hope you've enjoyed this.

Next Time: The Godfather I,II,III

Guest Ktrek

My wife and I really enjoy old movies but lately we started collecting the old "B" sci-fi movies from the 50's and 60's. This weekend we watched:

Aliens From Space - This is a campy but good B movie. It stars Peter Graves and has the old "aliens from space are gonna take over Earth" plot. I loved the aliens in this one as they had these huge bugged eyes because they had lived on a world where they lost their sun. 2.5 stars

Demetia 13 - This movie starred William Campbell who played both Trelaine and the Klingon Koloth in classic Trek and reprised the role of Koloth again in DS9. This was Francis Ford Coppola's very first directorial and it's much like an old Hitchcock film. A little gruesome in parts because it involves and axe murderer but over all suspenseful and extremely weird. It's a cult classic. 3 stars

Radar Men From The Moon - This movies stars George Wallace as Commando Cody. It's a classic 1940's cliffhanger serial in 12 parts. We watched only 4 parts so far but this is good clean fun. If you like the old Flash Gordon serials you would like this. 3 stars

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Molokai: The Story of Father Damien Cast- David Wenham, Sam Neil, Derek Jocabi, Alice Krige, Kris Kristofferson, Peter O'Toole, Kate Cebrano..list goes on and on. Hansen's Disease colony on the island of Molokai during the mid to late 1800's. Story of Father Damien and his work there. Depressing but good, humbling and stirring. Beautiful scenery to such a depressing situation. 8/10

The Bank David Wenham, Anthony La Palagia. Bank wrecks a family, revenge is enacted in a very clever way. Thrilling. Couldn't stop watching this one. Good guys beat the banks! 8/10

Black and White Robert Carlyle, David Ngoobujjarra and Colin Friels. True story in the 1950's when a half-caste aboriginal is accused of murder in Ceduna, Australia. Fine performances, follows the story through the courts. The end has a nice tag with the accused now in his old age sums up. 8/10

Rabbit Proof FenceKenneth Brenaugh, Ningali Lawford, David Gulpilil. True story about the stolen generation set in 1931 in Western Australia. Government policy was to remove half-caste children from their families as it was seen as beneficial to the country and the Aboriginal people. Beautiful cinematography and music as a backdrop to a powerful, heart wrenching story. The three girls walk their way across 'hell on earth' to reunite with their family. Excellent. Have a box of tissues. 10/10

:laugh:

Edited by starsinmyeyes

I just saw Hidalgo today! 9/10 Great flick, great acting, great story.....based

on a true story.....I loved it. :) :) :)

The Butterfly Effect = OMG, what a movie "11/10".

Stuck on You = Ewww "5/10 - and thats cause of the comedy part".

I have seen 'The Passion of The Christ'. I've written about it so much for my personal use and for school and I'm even writting an essay for an essay contest at my school, so I am only going to say this: the most moving film I have ever seen. 10/10.

And yesterday I rewatched 'Almost Famous'. I still positively love this film. The acting is great, the characters a really interesting, and the music... the music is the key to the movie. This is such a great film and a must see for any lovers of classic rock. 9/10.

I've rented a few movies recently:

Second Hand Lions - Loved this movie I'd give it 4.5, had some humor, action and some touching scenes.

Seabiscuit - 4.5, a good story and entertaining.

Classics:

Destry Rides Again - a very old western but I like the story of a man, the son of a famous sheriff, who tries to bring peace to a frontier town without carrying a gun. James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich. 4.5

The Caine Mutiny - Humphrey Bogart 5.0, the story of a group of Naval officer's decision to mutiny and the subsequent court martial - fictional but raised the issue that answers aren't always black and white.

Starsky and Hutch i saw it recently and thought it was a great light comedy, it has alot of gags in it, not much substance, owen wilson and ben stiller are together like always.. doesnt it seem one usually follows the other? This movie is great to laugh along with if you are intrested light comedys, i could see it offending some, but not many people all in all i thought it was a great flick!!!

I recently watched "Miracle"' about the USA Olympic hockey team of 1980. I especially liked it not only for my interest in hockey ( my son Luke is on a Squirt A team), but because the coach, the late- Herb Brooks , is a fellow Minnesotan.

One movie that I did not see, but wish I had, is LOTR III. I really enjoyed the first two episodes.

One movie that I would like to see and is still at the theater is "The Passion of Christ."

:hug:LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

The last really great movie I watched was 'Dead Man', starred Johnny Depp. Was a 1995 release, in black and white. A western but not in the usual sense. It was a sombre movie but did have touches of humor here and there. The photography was superb and the soundtrack, written and played by Neil Young was mesmerizing, on the steel guitar. I've recommeded this movie to alot of people. I watched it 6 times. Have ordered the soundtrack CD from CD Universal. It was a great movie. I'll probably watch it some more.

The last movie I saw in the theatre was Hidalgo. Really good, definately movie theatre worthy and I want the DVD when it comes out.

I've also recently gotten caught up in the Desperado/Once upon a Time in Mexico series. I don't know why I liked these movies so much (aside from Antonio, of course) since they're really violent and I don't usually go for that kind of stuff. But I really loved these and will probably watch them again. They just seem to fit a certain snarky dark corner of my brain.

The last good movie I saw was Unforgiven. I love a good western and I like Clint's westerns, I can really indentify with the characters he plays in them. Someone who tries to do the right thing but at the end of it he's left with no choice than to be a mean SOB. I love the line from that movie " deserves got nothin' to do with it." A great movie. :)

I just bought Gothica on DVD and it is an really good thriller with

a touch of the supernatural.....I loved it....

Thayln, I loved Hidalgo also...great movie with great acting and lots of

adventure...I will buy it aswell....

Dicky Roberts, Former Child Star Same writing duo of Tommy Boy and Black Sheep. Not too bad, it had laugh out loud moments, made a point or two & featured lots of former child stars in cameos as themselves. 3 & 1/2 outta 5.

I recently watched "Miracle"' about the USA Olympic  hockey team of 1980.  I especially liked it not only for my interest in hockey ( my son Luke is on a Squirt A team), but because the coach,  the late- Herb Brooks , is a fellow Minnesotan. 

One movie that I did not see, but wish I had,  is LOTR III.  I really enjoyed the first two episodes.

One movie that I would like to see and is still at the theater is "The Passion of Christ."

:) LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Oh Miracle was good, eh? I liked it better than Remember The Titans. (How is your son doing by the way?)

LOTR 3 was the best one. It had a little too much action in some parts and I actually got bored, but it was overall really good.

And I highly recommend The Passion of the Christ. But go in knowing that it is a shocker. Don't expect an easy movie to sit through.