Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Lt. Barclay

Does anyone else like the character of Lt. Barclay? Even though he was sparsely used I thought that he was quite intragal to the stories. My favorite with him was "The Nth Degree", when his intelligence was enhanced. To see his confidence increase and making a pass at Deana and almost bringing Dr. Crusher to her knees in a play rehersal was priceless. It was also kind of nice to see that not every Starfleet engineer had the all encompassing confidence others seemed to possess. His human failings was probably what appealed to me. Thoughts anyone?

I liked Barclay. I thought it was great that they included somebody who was a little inept and lacking in self-confidence. Personally, I think they should have had more.

Hmm... Yes, he was an excellent character! Never saw the one where he was "enhanced" via alien technology or whatever. Thank goodness for season sets! :blink:

He had a cameo in ST:FC in case ya missed it! :P

Didn't he gues star in a DS9 episode?

He also guest starred in 6 VOY episodes!

"Pathfinder"

"Life Line"

"Inside Man"

"Author, Author"

"Endgame, Part I"

"Endgame, Part II"

I liked the character a lot, but The Nth Degree was my least favorite episode with him.

I liked Barclay.  I thought it was great that they included somebody who was a little inept and lacking in self-confidence.

I agree. I thought it was nice to see that there were people in the 24th century that weren't "perfect" too. I'm not sure what my favourite Barclay episode was - Hollow Pursuits was a scream and I liked Realm of Fear when Barclay had to overcome his fear of the transporter. Of course Genesis wasn't centered on Barclay but that is one of my favourites too.

Barclay didn't appear in DS9.

Realm of Fear was my favorite of his. He was so sweet, cute and funny. I loved him tapping his neck like Deanna taught him and trying to convince her he was fine now.

It was cool that he got to be the unlikely hero quite a few times.

I really liked Barclay, he's usually my favourite non-permaent (what's the word?) character. My favourite episode of his was Realm of Fear (including the VOY ones, although I haven't seen all of them yet). And I like what Lessa said about him too. He's also easy for me to identify with, but altogther, I think he was just a really good, wel thought-out character acted wonderfully by Dwight Shultz (or howeverhe spells his name...)

I don't think I quite understand the last thing you siad - I spelled something CORRECTLY? dsbs spelling correctly....that's pretty funny! (lol, sorry. I couldn't spell to save my life)

Barclay was a great character, I loved "Hollow Pursuits". In fact Barclay was one of my brother's favorite characters, I wound up copying all Barclay episodes of TNG and Voyager onto CD and sending them to him.

I just wish they had used him a couple of times on DS9.

I always liked his character on TNG. He just seemed liked the most 'human' character on the show. I liked the fact that he wasn't over confident like everyone else. Too bad he wasn't used more often. I would have liked to see him on DS9 and I wasn't aware that he was on Voyager..I haven't seen too much of Voyager yet but that is going to change real soon..

I like dwight shultz hes a good actor,

i remember him from the A-TEAM mad murdock...hehe

Off-topic question:

Lt. Barclay was in as many VOY episodes as he was TNG.  So, would he be a TNG, a VOY, or a TNG/VOY character?  THANKS :P

I think I would classify him as more of a TNG character for a couple of reasons.

First because his character development took place on TNG, nothing on Voyager really added to his development as a character but rather just carried on the character that TNG had developed.

Second, he was a member of the Enterprise crew and Picard was his Captain. He was never an official member of the Voyager crew though.

So those are the main reasons I'd say he is a TNG character but I think the first part plays a larger role in that then the second.

I was a Dwight Shultz fan before he went on TNG, and I think he's an extremely versatile actor. Who else could play Howling Mad Murdock , making up some crazy character or another EVERY week? HMM is really showcased well in an episode whose name I can't remember, but is based on an old Starsky and Hutch episode. Face is badly wounded/shot, and HMM has to try to save everyone in the Italian restaurant where he works. Marc Alaimo plays one of the heavies, but it's not his best bit part.

That said, I love Barclay. I agree - not everyone on Starships can be perfect. Except how he made it is as Lieutenant sometimes confuses me. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem with his age and still being a Lt. It was probably slow going up the command chain.

My favorite Barclay episode was the fear-of-transporters one. Can you imagine McCoy, who also had a thing about transporters, doing what Reg did?

Oh, and I really enjoyed his cameo in FC. I think it makes the movie a bit richer when you can bring in someone like that. Just having the regular cast time after time WITHOUT those touches makes the feeling a little stale. It's why I love spotting Yeoman Rand in the TOS movies - she doesn't say anything sometimes, but you always see her.

At first Barclay's laundry list of eccentricities got on my nerves and I thought how did this guy get into SF? Later as I grew older and as the character grew a bit I saw that Barclay was really a solid character and is very believable in a lot of cases.

Barclay definately showed that even in Starfleet no one was Perfect. Infact they could be far from it. Which is amazing after seeing how Wesley had to be such a genius to get into starfleet. It was nice to seee that you could get into starfleet and still have some flaws.

I love Barclay..he's my favorite recurring character. I was so glad when they had him on VOY. I was he had more of a role in FC .