Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Which Era was best?

Which Era was best?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which era, overall had the best movies?

• The TOS era
    • The TNG era
    • I can't decide

Taking the 6 TOS era movies and looking at them as a whole and the 4 TNG era movies as a whole, which era had the better movies overall?

My opinion is the TOS era movies. For this poll, Star Trek XI (which hasn't yet been released at the time of starting this poll but I know will be voted on after that movie is released) will not be counted as a TOS era movie. FOr this poll "TOS era" means the 6 movies with the original cast playing their original parts on the NCC 1701 and NCC 1701-A.

For me it has to be TNG. They lasted longer as a television series and won more awards with their run. The problem with the movies for the TNG the budget kept growing smaller with interfering movie study that rather milk very the Star Trek worth, and they came out about the same time as Lord of the Rings trilogy, which in my opinion as much larger following than Star Trek.

Oh TOS all the way. I'm a huge TNG fan but other than First Contact I really don't care much for the TNG movies. First Contact was awesome, the rest were ok, Nemesis completely killed it for me.

I voted TOS, and I agree alot with Odie's statement. TOS was just the opposite they did not spend the money on the series but did a better job on most of the movies. TOS was also competing with Star Wars in a sense. I think any Star Trek would flourish with 100% comitment on all phases of it

Oh TOS all the way. I'm a huge TNG fan but other than First Contact I really don't care much for the TNG movies. First Contact was awesome, the rest were ok, Nemesis completely killed it for me.

That's kinda my opinion, too. First Contact is the only TNG movie I really like. And I HATE Insurrection. Generations was meh and Nemesis was OMGPLZNO.

TOS movies all the way. :laugh:

If Star Wars never came out and be as successful with the first movie there would not have been Star Trek movies and television series. Star Trek did not open at the same time with Star Wars. They really never competed against each other as much as you would think. Industrial Light and Magic, founded by George Lucas, created most of special effects for Star Trek movies and most of television series. Today's movies are now dependent on special effect, Lord of the Rings, would not have happen if Star Trek and Star Wars where not success in the 80's.

TNG's movie quality special effects for television series in the mid 80's to mid 90's, done by ILM, that allow other series follow their place. Like Battlestar Galattica and Stargate SG-1 would not have made if TNG was not suggestful. We would not have DS9, VOG, and ENT without TNG. TNG won more awards, lasted longer as a television series also the they broke ground to allow other television series to take place in regarding special effects. Star Trek when it was air in 60's did not do so well and nothing happen to led the success of other television series, except they did have a very strong fan base that was unseen at that time.

Edited by Odie

I agree and I think you have a lot better knowledge of the facts than I. I am mainly going by a less than reliable memory and feelings. As far as quality I think TNG stands up very well by to days standards. I think if TOS was given that kind of comitment, it would have been looked at differently. I feel it is sometimes considered a cult based show, but there was some good stuff in it.

This is a no-brainer. TOS movies of course! TNG had only 1 sucessful film in First Contact and even that movie isn't as great as people make it out to be. They went downhill after that.

If Star Wars never came out and be as successful with the first movie there would not have been Star Trek movies and television series. Star Trek did not open at the same time with Star Wars.

Actually Star Trek: Phase II was already in the works when Star Wars came out, after it's success they changed it to a motion picture. So there would have been another TV series with out Star Wars.

Also keep in mind that this isn't to say which show or cast was better than the other. Just the movies. So while it's true that without the success of TNG there wouldn't be DS9 etc, it's also true that without TOS and the success of the TOS movies there wouldn't have been a TNG.

It's very true though, Star Trek and Star Wars never competed head to head in the movies. The producers of both were too smart for that, they knew better than to pit the 2 against each other. Their box office numbers would have been lower across the board.

As for what everyone's saying about the TNG movies, I completely agree. I enjoyed the first 3, the 4th had promise but they killed it at the end. First Contact was really good but the first and third were just so-so.

Overall though, the TOS movies were great. ST II being the best of the bunch to me, ST III was good, ST IV was really good (I believe their biggest box office success) and ST VI was really good too.

As to budgets, I heard interviews with Shatner and Nimoy where they said that their budgets were actually pretty low and they were really constrained because of that. I believe, but could be wrong that the TNG movies had bigger budgets.

As to budgets, I heard interviews with Shatner and Nimoy where they said that their budgets were actually pretty low and they were really constrained because of that. I believe, but could be wrong that the TNG movies had bigger budgets.

TNG compare to TOS was bigger. Most of the budget for TNG went into special effects. If you compare to movies that where made at that time TNG budget was low. At the time TNG movies came out the market was flooded with Star Trek. When TOS movies first came out that was it. There was no television series to distract the production from the quality of the movie. When TNG movies came out Rick Berman and Co where also busy with VOY, DS9, and ENT. They rushed the production and the quality hurt badly. It is really not fare to compare the two, because they are circumstance was different.

TOS movies continue where was TNG was just a stand-alone movies. It is too bad Rick Berman was executive producer for the movies. He was ill equipped to deal with the demands movies expected. To many cards are stacked against TNG.

Edited by Odie

This is a great topic/poll imo.

I honestly like them both for different reasons. For example, the TOS films have a real camaraderie that we don't see in the TNG films until Nemesis when Data sacrifices himself to save Picard. I thought overall that TOS films were more fluid and that the cast seemed a bit more natural.

However, TNG films seemed to have a more unique approach and storylines. The only problem was that many of their concepts were underdeveloped (e.g. The Remans from Nemesis). Yet, they avoided recycling storylines from their episode list. Unfortunately, TOS didn't. For example, ST:TMP and ST:II were based in large part on stories that were told many years before.

If forced to choose, I would go with the TNG films. I'm a bigger fan of TOS, but I honestly enjoyed the TNG films more and I thought they were very entertaining.

I can't decide. I can't even decide if I liked First Contact of The Voyage Home more. They're tied for first, but in third place is Insurrection. Other than its cheesy premise (revealed at the end in a whole "What a twist!" kind of moment), it was actually quite a good movie, I thought. Didn't care much for The Motion Picture, Wrath Of Khan is overrated but not bad, Search For Spock is better than most give credit for. Do I really need to remind us of The Final Frontier? That was to TOS what Nemesis was to TNG. Generations was pretty good, The Undiscovered Country is in the middle somewhere for me.

Both eras had a movie that hit darn near to perfection, and both had ones that they wouldn't acknowledge in public.

I chose TOS films even thought I like all the films from both (6 from TOS and 4 from TNG) and after TMP they kept within the storyline of the Trek Universe True TMP could've been similar to the Immunity Syndrome (entering the Gas Area outskirts of the Huge Spaceship etc and was a bit long the film and TWOK was a update from Space Seed (see what happened to Khan and his group etc ).

I prefer the TOS movies. I've always liked the later seasons of all of the Star Trek series, and, because TOS was only 3 seasons, its movies were analogous to later seasons, except with much higher budgets. In order to vote this way, I had to discount ST V, but if I had to rank them, they would probably be as follows: II, IV, VIII, I, IX, III, X, VI, VII, V. Again, I think they were all exceptional (except V, which was OK), but I think TOS is better.