Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Old Chat Posts

I had suggested a chat with my Sisters way back but, I am still getting a syntax error when I click on the AIM Chat link! We cahtted real time a couple times before the updates....but that syntax error and our schedules keep us from chatting real time(it has been PM's for us)

I have never seen anyone else in the chat rooms.  I log in whenever I am posting to the site.  It would be great if we could get more people in there and have some go old fashioned real time chats.  I know that there is a chat for Wednesdays, but alas I am at work during that time.  How about Saturday evenings, or just everyone log in when they are posting?  It is a great tool and we should take advantage of it.

The same thing has happened to me! I will go to it, and it says "There is currently one person in this chat (me)" and i feel so alone

How about we schedule an unofficial chat for Saturday nights (Sunday morning) at 1:00 a.m. ET while the server is updating.

I have to do this in order

1 ET, 12 CT, 11 MTN, 10 PAC - how's that - in 35 minutes from now

OK, can anyone figure out the syntax error I keep having with the AIM link!!! The darn thing tells me that the site may have been removed or had its name changed.....

OK, can anyone figure out the syntax error I keep having with the AIM link!!! The darn thing tells me that the site may have been removed or had its name changed.....

You have to make sure that you have AIM open before you click on the link. Then it will open the chat in AIM. If you don't have AIM you can get it here for free.

AIM download

Sorry, about the double post. Just wanted to give a little update.

We had a great turn out in the chat room tonight. Let's keep it going Saturday. It was a great time and we had ten members in there at one time. And maybe we can try to find some more times thoughout the week at random when everyone is on. It was a great way to get to know our fellow Startrekfans.net friends.

a great idea ddilard, I'm downloading now and will be visiting the chat when I am online.. Though you must know that I live in Sweden, thus the time difference might give me a problem having someone to chat with :)

By the way, which time and day would that be in Sweden.. (+1 hour)

a great idea ddilard, I'm downloading now and will be visiting the chat when I am online.. Though you must know that I live in Sweden, thus the time difference might give me a problem having someone to chat with :)

Sweden is 6 hours ahead of the Eastern Time Zone of the U.S. so the 1am Saturday night (Actually Sunday Morning) chat may be a bit early for you. That would make it 7am Sunday for you. We'll have to set some other times as well so our European friends can join in at a decent hour.

VBG is right, that would be early for you. Out of curiosity what time of day are you usually on? I go into chat whenever Iam online, and at home. So let me know and we can chat.

There is a chat option? Time for me to re-explore this site  :)

It is located at the top next to the Forums link. But you must have AIM installed and be logged in before you click on the link. If you do not have AIM there is a link to below.

AIM Download Page

but even with the planned chats, we should still just go in to the chat when you sign on, because if we all did, then theres a chance we'd all be there at the same time, and the people who lived in diff. time zones, where it was hard to match schedules, could still have the chance to be a part of the group chats.

As a number of people have noted that the chat room isn't used a great deal I thought I would start this thread for anyone who would like to try to schedule an "unofficial" chat on any subject whether it be a specific Trek series or movie or just a general chat. Post a reply to this thread with times (and subject - if applicable) that you would like to gather in the chat room.

Currently we have chats scheduled on Wednesday evenings to discuss the latest episode of Enterprise. We have had a "Server Update" chat that will continue at 1:00 a.m. (ET) Sunday morning during the weekly server update. Feel free to chat any time.

Information about AIM Chat

STARTREKFANS.NET uses an AIM chat room. To access it you must register with AIM at AIM This service is free and you do not have to be an AOL member to register. The chat room is not moderated however we do expect members who use the chat to be courteous and respectful to those they are chatting with. Chat Features include:

Instant Messenger service (IM) to send private messages to those in the chat;

Ignore feature to stop receiving messages from someone in the chat room. Select the person’s screen name in the field that lists everyone in the chat room and click Ignore. An X appears next to the selected screen name. Click Ignore again to toggle the ignore feature off.

REMINDER: Please remember to update your member profile with your AIM screen name. This will allow other members to invite you to chat.

I agree with the last post Takara...on the chat last week when I started talking in the chatroom, most people did not recognize who I was, as well as a couple others that were there! I am glad you added that suggestion!

Unfortunately I am at work, so I will not be able to be there until about..11 or 11:30 pm ET. But I will be there then.

If you do the thing where you log in whenever you are posting make sure to check it every once and a while. Two out of the three times someone has been in there besides me they don't answer because they are away from their computer or don't relize I'm there.

Frequently Asked Chat Questions (AIM Chat)

NEW ADDITIONS TO THIS POST WILL BE IN ORANGE

What are the rules for the Chat Room?

It is asked that conduct yourself in a manner that is respectful to others just like you would on

the boards. Below are a few examples.

* Do not post gibberish.

* Do not attack others in the chat room for their opinion.

* Please keep in mind that some of the users may be underage, so try to keep the conversation appropriate for their presence.

* NO SPAMMING

* Treat others with the same consideration and respect that you would have them treat you.

* If you are having problems with someone in the chat room behaving inappropriately, simply use the ignore feature, and let one of the MODS know about it. They can then speak with the person

concerning their actions.

How do I get into Chat?

First you will need to download AOL instant messenger, which is free from AIM download

You will then need to register a name and password. Which is also free. You should try to get a screen name that is close to your Startrekfans.net name to make it easier for others to identify you in the chat room.

After you have completed this, open AIM and log in, then click on the "AIM chat" link located at

the top of the page next to 'Forums" this will open the chat window.

I receive an error message telling me to try back later when I try to register a screen name for AIM

To resolve this issue try one or all of the following:

* Clear your cache and cookies.

* Close and reopen your browser.

* Try disconnecting and reconnecting from the internet.

* Try downloading the program from a different site (see below).

* The site may be experiencing difficulties and you may have to try again later.

* There are also other options available, that depend on your computers OS.

* If you do not know how to do any of these or you want to try one of the other options, PM me with your OS and I will try to talk you through it. Or post the question on the thread.

I am having trouble downloading AIM from the main site. Is there another way to get it?

Yes, you can download the program here as well ALTERNATE AIM DOWNLOAD

I cannot Dowload/Install AIM on my computer. Can I still get into the chat?

Yes, you can use the web based version of AIM, without downloading and installing AIM by following the directions below.

* Go to AIM EXPRESS

* Click on the red "Start" button in the center of the page. This will open two browser windows, DO NOT CLOSE THEM.

* Enter your AIM Username and Password.

* Click on Log in.

* Once you are logged in it will show you your buddy list.

* Click on the "Chat" icon at the bottom of the buddy list.

* Enter the Your own AIM Screen name in the box labeled "Screen names to invite"

* Enter "STARTREKFANS Chat" in the box labeled "Chat room"

* Click on the "Send" icon at the bottom. This will take you into the chat room.

I have AOL can I get into the chat without downloading AIM or using AIM Express?

* The only way you can get into the chat from AOL is by having someone invite you in, unless you are using AIM Express or have downloaded AIM. AIM and AOL use two different servers so unless someone invites you it is not possible to cross between the servers.

* If you do not want to download AIM then I recommend following the instructions listed above to use AIM Express, which is a web based program and does not put anything on your computer.

Can I use Trillian or a similar multi messaging client to access the chat room?

No, unfortunately the AIM Chat room protocols are not compatible with these programs. You will need to either download AIM or use AIM Express.

Someone is sending messages that do not think are appropriate or are annoying.

* Click on time on the persons username in the list on the Right hand side of the chat window.

* Click on the Ignore button below the Window.

* You will no longer see any messages sent by this user.

* If the person was being extremely out of line, you should send a PM to one of the MODS so that they can be aware of it.

* Remember that if you have ignored someone, that even though you do not see their messages, they will still recieve yours, so be respectful.

After I enter chat I can not tell when someone has sent a message, if I am on another screen on

my computer.

You can set the chat room to make a "bleep" when a new message has been sent in chat by doing the

following.

* Click on "File" at the top of the chat window,

* Click on "Chat Preferences" This will open another window.

* Click on "Sounds" under the "Chat Room Window" section.

* Put a check next to "Play a sound when messages are received"

* Click "OK" to exit the "Sounds" menu,

* Click "Apply" on the "Chat Preferences window" to apply the changes,

* Click "OK" to exit the window you will now receive the "Bleep when others send a message in the chat room.

How do I change the Font size on messages that I am sending?

* Click on "Font" in the List on the left hand side of the window.

* Click on the "Font" Button under Defaults for composing window.

* Click on the font size that you want to use under the "Font" Section

* Click OK to exit the "Font Window"

* Click "OK" to exit the window

How do I change the Font Color on messages that I am sending?

* Click on the "Font Color" Button under Defaults for composing window.

* Click on the color that you wish to use.

* Click "OK" to close the "Font Color Window.

* Click "OK" to exit the window.

How do I magify the size of the messages that others are sending?

* Click on the Magnification level that you want to use under the "Text Magnification Section.

* Click "OK" to exit the window.

How do I add a person from the chat room to my buddy list so I can contact them later?

* Right Click on the person's username.

* Click on "Add to Buddy List"

* Choose the group that you want to add them to, in the box labeled "Group Name".

* Click on the persons username in the box labeled "Screen Name(s) to add" to highlight it.

* Click "OK" to exit the window and add the person to your Buddy List.

* You should check with the person to insure that they do not mind your adding them out of respect.

How do I invite someone to join the chat?

* Click on "People at the top of the Chat window.

* Click on "Invite a Buddy"

* Enter the persons AIM Screen name in the box labeled "Screen names to invite" (You can invite several people at once by putting a "," between the Screen names.

* Type your Invitaion Message in the "Invitation Message" box.

* Click on "Send"

I want to have a private chat with a few selected members, but not have it open to the other members. How do I do this?

* Click on the "Chat" icon at the bottom of the AIM Buddy list window.

* Enter the persons AIM Screen name in the box labeled "Screen names to invite" (You can invite several people at once by putting a "," between the Screen names.

* Type your Invitaion Message in the "Invitation Message" box.

* Enter a name for the Chat Room in the "Chat Room Box, or you can just leave the default name that is assigned.

* Click the "Send" Icon at the bottom of the window.

How do I exit the Chat Room?

Click on the "X" at the top right of the window.

Commonly Used Chat Abbreviations

BRB - Be Right Back

LOL - Lots of Laughs or Lots of Love

ROFL - Rolling On Floor Laughing

ROFLMAO - Rolling On Floor Laughing My *buttocks* Off

IM - Instant Message (Private Message in AIM)

PM - Private Message (In our case a private message sent on the boards)

BTW - By The Way

IMO - In My Opinion

IMHO - In My Honest Opinion

TMI - To Much Information