Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VaBeachGuy

Outside your window...

The smoke from the west valley brush fire drifting over our house yesterday

smoke.jpg

How close to the ground is the smoke? Or is it just high in the air?

It's high up and the wind has shifted today. We live near Scottsdale (north east Phoenix) and this is in the south west. You could smell the fire but it's not hard to breath or anything like that. Not this far east anyway. Made for a beautiful sunrise though.

In keeping with the title of this thread I decided to take a timelapse video "Outside my window". I downloaded some software for my laptop and hooked up a webcam, set the cam in a perch on the window sill and started it recording. 1 frame every 5 seconds with a playback rate of 30 frames per second. So it I caluclated right when it's playing each second of video is equal to about 2 and a half minutes of real time.

It starts at about 4:30 am and runs to about 9:00 pm so it's "Sunrise to Sunset". In it you can really see the smoke blowing through the yard at times and a little more than half way through the video you can see the lighting get dark and a thunderstorm roll in. It rained for about a half hour but only lasts for 4 or 5 seconds on the video. I'm going to play with the settings, maybe double the playback rate and may try to record a few months worth just for fun and watch the season change from Summer to Fall to Winter. It'd be great to catch a snowfall.

Outside the computer room window is our driveway. Right under the windowsill is our Blue Ford KA car, then behind that is the lawn and the rockery. Then to the right of the window is my dad's van. Oh, and both sides of the window is some beautiful flowers in the baskets :screwloose: .

For anyone who's never seen a dust storm. It's the time of the year for these again here in Phoenix. Personally I love them.

For anyone who's never seen a dust storm. It's the time of the year for these again here in Phoenix. Personally I love them.

They aren't so great when you are driving through them!

It amazes me how closely that resembles, sans the buildings, how sandstorms on Mars appear.

I'm not going to post a pic, just imagine a set of stairs leading to the second story as viewed from the side, a sidewalk to our door between me and it with pebble garden filling out the remainder and that's my view. It's dull but inexpensive.

I saw this topic, so I thought I'd post this pic. Obviously, I didn't take it recently, it was last December, but it was taken from the back bedroom window of our house.

Click for Spoiler:

100_0547.jpg

And I must admit, I photoshopped it a bit. Plus, it's a panorama, so I put it in a spoiler.

I forgot I had this. This is a video I took out of our dining room window two years ago.

And some pics (from the phone so not high quality) from tonight's storm taken from our front porch.

Click for Spoiler:

2.png

3.png

6.png

7.png

9.png

Well it's not the view outside MY window but outside my grandmother's window (I asked her if I could take a pic of her garden, so it's all good):

Click for Spoiler:

Garden.jpg

Thats beautiful, Mrs. Picard and I see the Travelocity gnome there too..... :bag:

Thats beautiful, Mrs. Picard and I see the Travelocity gnome there too..... :(

Thanks, I'll tell her that you liked it! :bag: Yes my grandmother loves garden gnomes. :poisonCC:

Such beautiful pics..You wouldn't want to see the sad view outside my window.. :( I rarely have my curtains open for that reason.. :bag:

Well it's not the view outside MY window but outside my grandmother's window (I asked her if I could take a pic of her garden, so it's all good):

Click for Spoiler:

Garden.jpg

Beautiful area. I was always a little sorry that I wasn't stationed in Germany while I was in the Army. I'd have gladly traded Texas for Germany.

Thank you, SpaceTigger! :poisonCC:

Beautiful area. I was always a little sorry that I wasn't stationed in Germany while I was in the Army. I'd have gladly traded Texas for Germany.

Aww thank you, VBG. :( You would have liked it here, I'm sure. :bag:

Such beautiful pics..You wouldn't want to see the sad view outside my window.. :( I rarely have my curtains open for that reason.. :bag:

Lol well it can't be that bad

A couple of older pics of our front yard and our street.

Image13.jpg

street.jpg

A pic of our neighbor's house on fire a couple years ago.

238389.jpg