Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Has LeVar Betrayed Us?

Do You Think Trek Should Die?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think Trek Should Die?

• yes
    • no

According to Contact Music, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION actor LeVar Burton ('Geordi LaForge') has begged Paramount Pictures execs never to make another new STAR TREK show and allow the franchise to rest in peace.

Burton hopes the last series of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE, from 2001, will be the very last.

"STAR TREK coming to an end is long overdue." Burton said "They ran it into the ground and made so much STAR TREK that it ceased to be special. If they bring this back before a decade is out I will get a high-powered weapon and start picking off studio executives."

I really can't believe this guy. I, for one, don't want Trek to end. What a sad thing that would be

I'm not sure if he was serious... if he was, it's his opinion, and I don't think he has betrayed us, at least I don't feel betrayed. *shrug*

And personally, I don't want Star Trek to end (which is why I voted for no), but I could live with the fact that there will never be another series again, I'm not sure if they wouldn't ruin even more of the franchise like they already did with ENT.

I even think LeVar is correct in some sense. Star Trek has stopped to be special because they made too much of it.

Now you may all kill me. :)

He's right. Trek should be allowed to wait at least 10 years before they make something new. Series-wise, anyway. I'd still like to see some new movies.

I share the opinion that is generally prevelant on StarTrek.COM about these comments is that he is pretty much right. Over there, the general feeling is that Star Trek needs to take a five to ten year break to allow a hunger to build among the fanbase.

I voted no of course..I do not want Trek to die..But I have accepted the fact that it has..I am of the opinion that the last trek recognizable to us current fans was Enterprise and Nemesis..Levar was only voicing the opinion of many trek fans..That Trek needs to rest for at least a decade..If it does come back at that time I believe it will be reimagined and totally different..

RIP Star Trek

I agree Star Trek needs a rest, WE have been getting to much latly so its no longer special, Let it rest 10 years, maby a bit more then bring it back with something strong.

Star Trek in its current form should die. I completely agree with Levar Burton on this. He, like so many of us, feel that ST has been run into the ground by people who really don't understand it. Unfortunately, it is the people who don't "get" Star Trek who are in control.

Perhaps if they wait 10 years or so to do another series, all the people who have really screwed this franchise up with be retired or no longer at Paramount. Who knows, maybe someone posting on these boards will be in charge .... what a victory that would be for the fans.

Edited by gul_nodrog

Who knows, maybe someone posting on these boards will be in charge .... what a victory that would be for the fans.

Hopefully me.

....and some friends. :shifty3: :)

Many Star Trek fans say that Star Trek is of Kirk, Scotty and Spock, and that's how it will always remain in history. Having the new series, Voyager, The Next Generation etc bought back older fans and new fans too. I think these series has come too soon and there is nothing new anymore.

But Star Trek is history and the present. I don't want it to end, but I have a strong feeling it won't live for another 10 years.

Star Trek is too great to be forgotten and ditched. Long live Star Trek, and thank you Roddenbery! :) :)

Should Trek die? Probably not. Should Trek rest for a good deal of time? Absolutely. The franchise should've been put on hold after Voyager, IMO.

I don't feel betrayed. It's his opinion and I agree to an extent.

According to Contact Music, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION actor LeVar Burton ('Geordi LaForge') has begged Paramount Pictures execs never to make another new STAR TREK show and allow the franchise to rest in peace.

Burton hopes the last series of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE, from 2001, will be the very last.

"STAR TREK coming to an end is long overdue." Burton said "They ran it into the ground and made so much STAR TREK that it ceased to be special. If they bring this back before a decade is out I will get a high-powered weapon and start picking off studio executives."

344128[/snapback]

That really doesn't sound like LeVar Burton. The first part sounds like him but not the high-powered weapon thing.

344128[/snapback]

That really doesn't sound like LeVar Burton. The first part sounds like him but not the high-powered weapon thing.

344211[/snapback]

Agreed :) . Do you trust the source, Gamera?

344128[/snapback]

344211[/snapback]

Agreed :) . Do you trust the source, Gamera?

344214[/snapback]

I wouldn't. There is no source listed. Here's a link to the "story". It doesn't say where it was supposed to have been said, when, to whom, etc. The fact that this seems to be the only website to have reported these comments is also suspicious (all the Trek sites are linking back to them). Yes, LeVar Burton has said he believes Trek needs a break but the quotes attributed to him are ludicrous.

Do You Think Trek Should Die?

DAMN! I thought the poll question was 'Has LeVar Betrayed Us?' so I voted yes! Can that be fixed? Trek cannot die by my arms!

Mod's note: I've changed your vote to "no".

Takara

Edited by Takara_Soong

I will get a high-powered weapon and start picking off studio executives."

If he tries that, then I will act as a human shield for Mr. Moonves, because NOBODY hurts the boss.

Click For Spoiler
002-Title_Paramount_Viacom.jpg
Edited by HRH The KING

I am force to agree that Star Trek needs a break. There is way to much of it out already. Maybe in 5 to 10 years it should come back. It needs a break!

I have never believed that star trek needs a break. IMHO if they wait 5 to 10 years to bring back trek no one will care as other scifi like battlestar will have taken its place as others have said stargate is on its 9th season. Now I do think that trek should not come back until they have fresh writers and someone in charge that cares about trek and if that takes 5 to 10 years then so be it. I already miss having new trek and the next season of shows has not even started yet.

If the fans are loyal to the show it will survive 10 year break. There is enough material out in the market.

Look at the space between TOS and TNG. They did the first six movies, and then brought it back some 20 years later. I think they should make a few DS9 and Voyager movies* and hand the next series over to a new generation who will do it completely differently. Because that's what brought Trek back in the 80s, as TNG was a lot different from TOS.

* I did say in the Voyager forum that they should not do a Voyager movie, but you know... if they're going to take a needed 10-15 year break on series, they could sustain the franchise with movies. And besides, DS9 and Voyager movies will be better than some of the tripe that's coming out in the next couple years. Doom movie? Halo movie? If they're making movies based on half-assed video games, they can make DS9 and VOY movies, and they'll probably bring in more money. (And hey, if Stargate could warrant a series, surely DS9 and VOY can warrant movies...)

Edited by Dark Reality

Myself I do not think that Trek needs a break. I do not think that it should die, but I do fear that if they wait to long then other shows will have replaced it and there will no longer be a market for it.

I think the Trek novels that come out every month should keep people's interest in Trek until a new series or movie is made. The books are the only new things in Trek we have left right now.

I will get a high-powered weapon and start picking off studio executives."

If he tries that, then I will act as a human shield for Mr. Moonves, because NOBODY hurts the boss.

Click For Spoiler
002-Title_Paramount_Viacom.jpg

344226[/snapback]

All right, I'll bite. What is so special about Mr. Moonves? He's the president of Paramount, right? Or something else important?

Is he a particular supporter of Star Trek? Or is he the one who ultimately pulled the plug on Enterprise, hence your support of him. (I take it from some of your posts you didn't like Archer and the gang ... me neither, not so much.)

So why would act as a human shield for Moonves? Explain yourself, HEW-MAWN. :D

I do agree with a break with star trek but will it die no way not as long as I'm alive it won't and any of you guys who love star trek trust me I won't let it die LOL. LeVar will be at DragonCon in two weeks if I get a chance to talk to him I will ask him that question also to see what he says.

Brian

I'll be 40ish by the time 10 years have passed. I don't think I have a lifespan like a Vulcan so 10 years is a long time, but I'll feed on the Star Trek books around. It doesn't matter when a new series will come back or a new movie.... I intend to be there when it does.

Of the quote the only part I believe he may have truly said is:

"STAR TREK coming to an end is long overdue." Burton said

All the rest sounds like something the trolls at st.com would invent and post hoping to start a war. (as they have successfully acomplished in times past)

Of the part I think he did say; yes, I feel a little betrayed. His thinking Trek should end did not stop him from accepting ENT directing jobs.