Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

How many kids is too many

I am listening to the tv while I browse and I heard them talking about a family with 17 kids (the mother had them all in a 20 year span). My first thought when I heard that someone would have surgery way before it got that far :naughty:

No philosophical discussions of the moral impact of large familes please. But how many kids could you physically manage to have and/or raise? At this point in my life I occasionally babysit. I love my little angels but I am very, very tired after chasing them around. Two toddlers is about my limit.

In fact, talk about reality shows - eating worms is nothing compared to four pre-schoolers with diarrhea. :naughty:

It depends on the parents. My brother has four and he can handle them all very well. Others can't handle one. Three is about right for me.

I think it depends on the woman, and it also depends on what type of support she gets.

My Mom had 5, and basically had no support, she was very "fragile"

My Auntie had 6, and had her family close by and it worked great.

1 kid for me, I dont plan on having any, if I do I have names picked out, Opps for a Boy and Whoops for a girl

For any family, it depends on the types of parents, family situation, finances (to an extent), time between births, etcetera. As long as a family can truly love and support each child, it's not a big deal imo.

As for me, I can't see myself with any more than 4 kids. Four or fewer seems manageable. Anything more would be too much of a handful, to say the least.

It all depends on the family situation. Some families thrive by having many children. Then again, there are some couples that shouldn't have any children.

It all depends on the parents i.e income,size of house and so on,i (with debs permission) would like 2 kids,one of each sex but who knows what might happen in the future :naughty:

I agree with what everyone has said. It's up to the parents and if they can handle the load. Also the age gape between the oldest and the youngest is about 20 years. With me being the oldest of 4 children there where nights that I had to babysitted the younger children. It didn't bother me, but there where times....

I know of successful families with a large number of children. One of my sister-in-laws is the youngest of 18 children, and they all turned out to be decent adults. She and my brother, however, have only four children, all of whom have nice personalities. The oldest of the four just graduated from high school. The youngest is 5 or 6.

I think it depends on the parents and the support system, as others have said.

We only have 1 child. We would have liked to have more but my wife had a butcher for a doctor and shes never been able to get pregnant since.

We have one child and should have had another. My son is 6 and we've waited too long (too big an age difference now, plus my husband has been snipped).

I would think that the more kids you have the easier it would be to care for them. As the older ones grow, you have all kinds of help from them, plus everybody has someone to play with other than Mommy and Daddy. I'm a poor substitute for a brother or sister playmate!

I don't think that there is such a thing as "too many" ... if you can take care of their needs, physical and emotional, then it really doesn't matter how many you have.

I would like a large family but that is because of my being an only child. I didn't much appreciate the fact that I always ended up looking in on those with siblings, never understanding the bond comlpletely.

I would also like to foster children, there are so may who need some help for one reason or another that I think it would be a worthwhile endeavour.

People should only have as many children as they can afford to provide for and raise properly.

328471[/snapback]

Hmmmmmm, but when do you EVER have enough money for a child?

Many of us wouldn't be here if our parents had planned their families so well.

Think about it, anyone born before 1970, their Mom had no viable option for 100% certainty of no pregnancy except abstentia, and let's face it, how many married couples who truly like and love one another willingly would do that?

Also, my Aunties tell stories of how women would be nervous wrecks because they feared they were once again pregnant and couldn't afford it. They couldn't run up to the corner market for a test, and they more than likely couldn't afford to go to the doctors for a pregnancy test which was a tad more complicated then.

Digressing there, however, my point is planning for children is a late 20th century idea. Until that point, it was very much something else.

One thing about children, is you always seem to find the money for things to help them, often sacrificing things for yourself so that they can grow and have experiences in their life you wanted or you had and want to ensure they also do.

:assimilated: I just do not like that term snipped, makes me very nervous :)

328475[/snapback]

:lol: My Dad was snipped. After 6 pregnancies and 5 healthy children, he felt it was the very least he could do since my Mother had endured all those months of pregnancy, the long labors, and the loss of one child.

As he put it, "I walked in a man, 30 minutes later I walked out a slightly high man but also a more responsible man"

All my brothers have now been "snipped" thanks to the example he set for them.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

It all depends on the parents i.e income,size of house and so on,i (with debs permission) would like 2 kids,one of each sex but who knows what might happen in the future :assimilated:

328375[/snapback]

:lol: let me think about that sugar,after just giving birth to one i think we can wait a while :)

I agree with what everyone else says about being able to provide for a large fammily,if you can then go for it is what i say (no not us Hang) :)

I used to be a gymnastics coach, and would handle a large group of kids pretty much my entire workday (going anywhere from 4 kids all the way up to a group of just over 30 ranging from the ages of 4 and 16. Had a toddler class that had 15 children from the ages of 1 1/2 to 3 yrs old). It was my first job(started right after finshing HS and my final competitive season) and had that job for five years, until my injury two years ago. Plus, grew up in the gym essentially so I was always surrounded with other kids in a variety of ages... that and I come from a rather large family(ok not my immediate family, but on my mom's side lots of aunts, uncles, cousins).

I do not think my 5month old niece is a handful, I am one of three, and my mother is one of eight. So I think I could probably raise a family with four or five children, however... if financially I could only support one or two, then that would be all I have(that is if I ever get married, if I never do get married then of course no kids).

I think if I have another kid, I'm going to name [Him] Oscar Oliver Patrick Steven, or [her] Olivia Oprah Patricia Sarah

Edited by Jim Phaserman

Madame Butterfly,

I did not mean it wasn't a good or sometimes nessesary things. Its the word snipped that makes me nervous. My dad and my 2 brothers both had it done. My wife had to have a hysterectomy, so I guess I was spared the snipping!

I am listening to the tv while I browse and I heard them talking about a family with 17 kids (the mother had them all in a 20 year span).  My first thought when I heard that someone would have surgery way before it got that far :assimilated:

No philosophical discussions of the moral impact of large familes please.  But how many kids could you physically manage to have and/or raise?  At this point in my life I occasionally babysit.  I love my little angels but I am very, very tired after chasing them around.  Two toddlers is about my limit. 

In fact, talk about reality shows - eating worms is nothing compared to four pre-schoolers with diarrhea. :lol:

328314[/snapback]

Probably as many as the person feels they can raise. I personally only want 2, 3 and the most. Preferably a boy and a girl.

I think if I have another kid, I'm going to name [Him] Oscar Oliver Patrick Steven, or [her] Olivia Oprah Patricia Sarah

328817[/snapback]

Shuold you have another, Krissy might prefer Samuel Nathan Ian Patrick :assimilated: