Best Director

30 members have voted

1. 1. Best Director

• Bob Wise (The Motion Picture)
    • Nicholas Meyer (II & VI)
    • Leonard Nimoy (III & IV)
    • William Shatner (V)
    • David Carson (Generations)
    • Jonathan Frakes (First Contact & Insurrection)
    • Stewart Baird (Nemesis)

NOTE: This isn't a poll for you favorite Star Trek film but rather for who you think was the best director. I expect that for most people favorite film and favorite director will go hand and hand but still please try to be subjective.

Who was the best director to do a Trek movie? What was it about them did you like?

By the way my vote goes to Nicholas Meyer. I love what he did with the Wrath of Khan but even more then that is what he did with The Undiscoverd Country. I believe that the battle scene between the Enterprise and the Kliingon Bird of Prey at the end of the movie is one of the most intense to ever be in a Trek film. He had a way of keeping the camera moving through out this movie. I loved how there were a lot of scenes on the bridge when he would use massive pans insted of several cuts.

Not only was Meyer a good director but he was also a great screne writer. Also Meyer was partly responsible for the more military look that set the basis for the rest of the films.

Note from Mod: I edited the poll for you to correct the spellings.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Jonathan Frakes, and it's not just because I love Riker, he's an awesome director. After that Leonard Nimoy.

Frakes all the way.

I would have shatner to one side as he did not somuch Direct but Disect I think his wig has more directing tallent than he dose

Mr Nimoy was allso a great director

I too voted for Jonathan Frakes based not just on the movies but also the brilliant episodes of TNG that he directed. You know a guy is going to be a great director when the first episode he directed was The Offspring!!!

I voted for Nicholas Meyer but Jonathan Frakes did an eceptional job on First Contact and Insurrection. Jonathan is a great director. He is also a hunk. :rolleyes:

First Contact is awesome

Jonathan Frakes directed two out of three of my all-time favorite Trek films,so he gets my vote.I loved Insurrection and First Contact.

:borg2:

Okay, I chose Meyer. I haven't seen VI in a long time, but I remember really enjoying it. I find ST II to be one of the best movies ever. I find it to be very moving. I like how Kirk and Khan don't meet face to face, that Kirk and Spock are separated at Spock's last words. I like the errie sense that Meyer gives the movie at times. The introduction of Khan was done great too!

Jonathan Frakes did his movies very well. His work with TNG movies always ended up with less plot holes, and had a better balance of action and plot etc than that of Baird.

The worst 2 directors of the bunch are Wise and Baird. They did not know what Star Trek is in it's essence. The best Star Trek movies have been made by fans or cast, with the exception of Star Trek V by William Shatner. Although I don't think it is too terrible, but it could have been better.

Jonathan Frakes, and it's not just because I love Riker, he's an awesome director. After that Leonard Nimoy.

Stardate:213690.9

I agree.Frankes then Nimoy.Star Trek 3 was just awsome.In IV Nimoy showed us a different side of star trek set in present day(at the time).First Contact and Insurrection were also very well directed alothough i didnt really like Insurrection

I think Nicholas Meyer did a superb job on the films he directed.Two films which just happen to be among the greatest Trek's ever.The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country were incredible.

I will also go with Meyer as best. But Nimoy and Frakes would be close behind.

I went with Shatner, it wasn't all his fault things changed during the making which he had not controll over. Anyway that is what he said in his book and if that is the case it would have been a better movie. However I really did like it.

Jonathon Frakes mainly because of First Contact. Was just a great overall movie.