Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Star Trek and Relationships

My partner personally hates Star Trek and wont watch anything to do with it. Therefore we thankfully have a TV/video.dvd player in the bedroom where I can retire to do my Trekking :)

Does your partner like Star Trek? If so, do you like to do Trekkie things together? How often would you do this? And does it help your relationship?

Does anyone's partner, like mine, hate Star Trek? How do you marry the two in your life in a way that suits you both?

Im just nosy :P

Dont have a boyfriend, at least as of yet. But it does not seem to bug my best friend/classmate/coworker(you take your pick on what to call him, since he is all three). Which is nice to know :P

Another coworker of ours was in school with me, and decided to try and make me mad by going "Ha Ha, Did you know she likes Star Trek? Blah Blah Blah..." He did not succeed, since my friend and I just basically ignored him.

I do not think Trek has adversely affected my friendships with anyone. And I do not think it would much affect a relationship(if and when I do get into one :) ) I get into. Even if the guy does not like Trek. But then again, though I love TNG and Trek in general it does not appear very heavily or even much at all in my everyday life. Unless I, or someone who already knew, say something about me liking Trek.... no one even would easily guess it.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

My boyfriend has only seen a little Trek, but once we got together to watch The Trouble with Tribbles. He said that he got the idea for us to watch it together because I talked about how that was my favorite episode of all time, and he wanted to see it :P I'll make a Trekkie of him yet.

My ex boyfriend was the one who introduced me into Star Trek, mainly into TNG (he kept annoying me by telling me "hey, watch the show, I know that you'll like the captain" :laugh: ).

He was a fan of TNG and TOS, but soon I became the bigger trekkie out of us :lol:

I don't want to have a relationship right now, but if I ever have one again, I'll make sure it's one to a guy who knows at least some basic things about Trek - I don't want to argue with him if it makes sense to watch Star Trek or not. :spock:

My significant other enjoys Star Trek with me. He buys me Trek things when he finds something he thinks I would like. We both enjoy snuggling up on the sofa watching the movies.

So for me, it's not a problem at all. My children, however, think their mother is a little wacky when it come to Star Trek.

So for me, it's not a problem at all.  My children, however, think their mother is a little wacky when it come to Star Trek.

297778[/snapback]

Isn't that part of the job description for being a mother - doing things your kids don't understand and will, probably at some point, be embarrassed by. LOL

I could be with someone who isn't a Trek fan as long as they don't belittle me for being one. It all comes down to respect, doesn't it.

My husband introduced me to TNG and re-introduced me to TOS show then the movies ... now we're both huge fans and are in complete agreement on DVD purchases (all seven season of TNG and DS9, now starting on Voyager). We also have visited the Star Trek Experience and we're planning to return just as soon as our son is old enough to enjoy it.

So no problems here because of Trek ... it enhances our relationship because it is just one more thing that we like to do together.

Daniel believes my liking Star Trek is just silliness pure and simple. He told my counselor that I have one heck of an imagine and it was a shame I wasted my time with reading about and watching Star Trek. :laugh: He also doesn't like my caring for our pets so much. My therapist told him that if I didn't enjoy StarTrek or loved animals, I wouldn't be the person he married. Daniel permits me my time on here and allows me to keep the pets provided that he comes first on my list when he's home. :spock: I can live with that being that Daniel works away from home and I have a lot of me time. Also being that it's wintertime I don't have to tend the gardens.

Daniel believes my liking Star Trek is just silliness pure and simple.  He told my counselor that I have one heck of an imagine and it was a shame I wasted my time with reading about and watching Star Trek.  :lol:  He also doesn't like my caring for our pets so much.  My therapist told him that if I didn't enjoy StarTrek or loved animals, I wouldn't be the person he married. Daniel  permits me my time on here and allows me to keep the pets provided that he comes first on my list when he's home. :spock: I can live with that being that Daniel works away from home and I have a lot of me time. Also being that it's wintertime I don't have to tend the gardens.

298060[/snapback]

Gee, Blue Crystal, I'm amazed that you are able to keep your ST hobby in the face of all that adversity! :laugh:

There are so many things that I had to just let go when I got married .... Beverly Hills 90210, Days of Our Lives, Roseanne .... I just couldn't keep up with them and be a good wife as well!

He gave up things as well ... playing his saxophone in nightclubs, Civil War reenacting ... we both made sacrifices.

Fortunately, we found new interests together (Star Trek, Seinfeld, Playstation and Gamecube, Chinese food, etc. etc.). It was worth losing all those other things! The new things strengthen our relationship, the old things kind of pulled it apart.

Gee, Blue Crystal, I'm amazed that you are able to keep your ST hobby in the face of all that adversity! :spock:

There are so many things that I had to just let go when I got married .... Beverly Hills 90210, Days of Our Lives, Roseanne .... I just couldn't keep up with them and be a good wife as well! 

He gave up things as well ... playing his saxophone in nightclubs, Civil War reenacting ... we both made sacrifices.

Fortunately, we found new interests together (Star Trek, Seinfeld, Playstation and Gamecube, Chinese food, etc. etc.).  It was worth losing all those other things!  The new things strengthen our relationship, the old things kind of pulled it apart.

298167[/snapback]

I did give up some things. My family, my faith, my home, and many dreams. I was given a new world, a new life, a new family, and many wonderous new dreams. It's always been a trade off of one sort or another. Daniel in many ways spoils me. I hold on to my old ways too. (I strongly dislike my dishwasher and no matter how many times Daniel pulls my hands from the sink of dish I still refuse to use that thing.) It's blending our lives that can be frightening and exciting but Daniel has taken me into his life and I know deep down that if I refused to *jump the fence* that he would of joined me in my life. He knew I would find things that would impress on me and it's okay that I'm a trekker and with him it's okay that he likes homemade Amish biscuits with honey. (My Mother's recipe.)

I have had my share of bad experiences with Star Trek and relationships..I'm always afraid to bring up Star Trek to women that I meet. It always seems like a turn off and I have never understood that. I mean there are worse things to be involved with..I feel that Star Trek and relationships rarely work unless both people are Star Trek fans..Or rather, it won't work for me. So, I am still searching for that trekkie woman who lives close to me and has an interest in me..In the meantime..I'm happy with being single..

This is a great question. When I first started dating my significant other, I wondered whether my interest in Star Trek would be viewed as something "weird." But as we have grown together, it has become something that is simply accepted. I have even been able to show some of my favorite episodes.........and there have been lots of questions asked.(smiles) I guess my point is this. My significant other will never be a Trek person. But as long as the differences and different interests that we have are respected between us, and not looked upon as "odd'.......then I'm okay. In fact it adds variety to the relationship.

sadly I'm single and don't have a girlfriend as of now, but my Trek fandom doesn't usually bother other people, most of the time. It gets on people's nerves when all I do is watch Trek all day. Which I suppose is understandable. B)

I do not have a boyfriend yet, but the guy I plan to ask enjoys Star Trek, though he is not obsessed like I am. As for my friendships, Star Trek limits me. Most people think I am just weird and so make fun of me or just avoid me. Not that I care though. I have all of you guys!

My partner personally hates Star Trek and wont watch anything to do with it. Therefore we thankfully have a TV/video.dvd player in the bedroom where I can retire to do my Trekking  B) 

Does your partner like Star Trek? If so, do you like to do Trekkie things together? How often would you do this? And does it help your relationship?

Does anyone's partner, like mine, hate Star Trek? How do you marry the two in your life in a way that suits you both?

Im just nosy    B)

297583[/snapback]

I don't think I could live with a non Trekker; it'd be like living with a non-Christian.

All my family members are Trekkers thanks to me. B) My wife wasn't at first though; her father was a Trekker subsequently forcing her away from it but when I showed it to her she finally got it and became a Trekker herself. We raised both our kids to be Trekkers no problem.

We used to go to every convention that came to town but they stopped coming around 94. We were really looking forward to the STFs convention in Las Vegas last summer, it's cancellation was a real blow.

For now, we all gather at the TV when a new episode comes on; we have every series released on DVD so far (and will get any yet to be released) and often have marathons on weekends together.

I am the Star Trek fan in my family. My brother watches them and enjoys them and even got me DS9 DVDs for Christmas but he's not "obsess" with them. Sadly my wife prefers CSI, and other reality shows.