Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Which episode would you show first ?

I've been pondering something lately. I always seem to meet people who have never seen Trek. So I'm asking...

What Trek episode or movie would you show someone first if they have never seen Star Trek?

Obviously Star Trek can't be appreciated with only one episode..Several must be watched..But where would you start ? Me, there are several I would show..Mirror, Mirror, The Trouble with Tribbles, Balance of Terror, City on the Edge of Forever, Encounter at Farpoint, The Measure of a Man, Yesterdays Enterprise, Darmok, Inner Light, Emmisary, In the Pale Moonlight, Progress, The Wire, The Visitor, Caretaker, Nemesis..And Movies ST II, IV, VI, FC..But, which one first? I probably would start with City on the Edge of Forever and go from there..

I was watching some of my Trek episodes on VHS that I taped off of TV this morning. What I watched was "Encounter At Farpoint". That two part episode is just briliant even though the characters aren't really the same as they are later in the series (Data constantly smiling), but man is it an excellent story. That would be a must to watch if I had a pick one TNG episode for someone to watch. It would introduce the characters as well.

If I wanted to show them an episode from TOS it would be "Amok Time". Very entertaining, and my personal favorite.

As far as movies go it would be 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and maybe 7.

When I am showing someone trek for the first time I usually go with Trials and Tribblations (sp?) as it has most of the qualities that have endeared many to the franchise. It has the action, the comic relief and shows characters from both the TOS and DS9 era.

I think it would depend on the person. If the person appreciated humor more, and enjoyed a movie like Meet the Fockers more than The Bourne Identity/Supremacy, then I would definitely go with either The Trouble with Tribbles or A Piece of the Action. If the person was more appreciative of good drama and angst then I would opt for either The City on the Edge of Forever or Inner Light.

I think it would depend on the person. 

294868[/snapback]

I agree with Indy on that. Since I know TNG best, I would use episodes from that series first.

If a person:

• has a strong sense of activism: Chain of Command
  • likes westerns: Fistful of Datas
  • likes touching drama: Inner Light
  • likes comedies: Naked Now
  • likes to cry at the end: The Offspring
  • likes innovative episodes: Cause and Effect

The list goes on.

If I wanted to showcase the talent of individual actors:

• Patrick Stewart - Inner Light, Sarek, Chain of Command, All Good Things
  • Brent Spiner - The Offspring, Brothers, Fistful of Datas, Schizoid Man, Power Play
  • Jonathan Frakes - Frame of Mind
  • Marina Sirtis - Eye of the Beholder
  • Wil Wheaton - Final Mission
  • LaVar Burton - Mind's Eye
  • Gates McFadden - Suspicions
  • Michael Dorn - Redemption
Edited by Takara_Soong

If i was to show someone a trek episode for the first time i would start at the begining and go with the TOS pilot The Cage B)

Well, if they liked action, show them balance of terror

If they like a more abstract look at trek, I'd start w/ The city on the edge of Forevfer.

I'd start with ST II: The Wrath of Kahn, then, because they'd be dying to know what happened, I'd let them watch ST III and ST IV. Those three really are just one long movie.

I'd start with ST II:  The Wrath of Kahn, then, because they'd be dying to know what happened, I'd let them watch ST III and ST IV.  Those three really are just one long movie.

295574[/snapback]

I haev always got people who have never watched Trek to start with The Wrath of Khan. Such an excellant movie that leaves them wanting more. Once they get into the TOS characters a link with Generations completes the chain! Ha ha...

I agree. But before I show them any movies, I show them "Space Seed" and then follow it up with Treks II,III and IV. Hooks them every time!

This is certainly an interesting topic. Since it's been so long since I have seen any TOS episodes and I am more into Voyager and TNG at this stage in my life........I would refer a person who'd never seen an episode of Star Trek to check out The Caretaker I & II. I'd also have them watch Best of Both Worlds parts I & II; Scorpion Parts I & II; Night Terrors; Imperfection and Faces.

My Star Wars Friend Pete, Not A Sci-Fi Fan But Loves Star Wars. I Wanna Show Him 'Star Trek: First Contact'. And Maybe 'Nemesis'. ;)

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

I'd have to go with Encounter At Farpoint. I think that the Original Series isn't really a great place to introduce someone to Star Trek because a lot of the early details are highly contradictory. I know what I'm saying in sacreligious but I find it is more helpful to understand established details of Star Trek before viewing the early days.

The other series premiers also require at least some knowledge of the other series to fully understand them (TNG set up a lot of DS9 and VGR basics, and Enterprise does contain discrepancies of its own). I think EAF has a very basic Star Trek plot and starts at a point where most details have been established in canon but doesn't depend too highly on the Original Series to be understood (well, someone new to Trek won't get the McCoy scene but oh well). But that's just my take.

Well, to go against many of you, I wouldn't show Star Trek II first, they would be confused about who Khan was, show them Space Seed, then Star Trek II. But the first episode to show would probably be Where No Man Has Gone Before to show the relationship with Kirk and Spock, then the Tholian Web since it really personifies (big word ;)) the triangle relationship Kirk, Spock, and McCoy have. So for me it would go: Where No Man Has Gone Before, Tholian Web, Space Seed, Star Trek II. Mind you, these aren't my favourite episodes or anything.

I'd tell them to start at the beginning with Broken Bow. Of course I'd need to tell them not to get too excited about the TCW because of the foul way it ended. ;)