Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

The Underrated episodes of TNG

We always talk about the very good episodes (Best of both Worlds, Yesterday's Enterprise) but we never mention other good episodes. One example, and my favorite underrated episode is the best episode of season 2, Contagion. There was mystery, cool special effects for the time, Romulans, and Picard ordering Earl Gray Tea for the first time.

Other good underrateds:

The Enemy/Defector arc

Times Squared

Lonely Among Us

11001001 (Minuet was attractive)

Clues

Chain of Command Part I (We always talk about part 2)

So, what are yours.

I think The Royale rocks! :laugh:

I know, everyone says this episode is just about nothing, but I really love it (and it's not even a Jean-Luc episode :o ), I love to watch it, and I always wonder why no one aboard the Enterprise appreciates that novel, I would love to read it. :laugh:

And I love Lonely Among Us... and 11001001... and Time Squared... but that might be because it are mainly Jean-Luc-related episodes.... :blush 2: :)

11001001, Contagion, The Royale and Datalore are all favourite episodes of mine, particularly Contagion and Datalore, because they really freaked me out and scared me when I first saw them :laugh:

I love Qpid --

Worf: "I am NOT a merry man!"

We have this Entertainment Weekly special edition that came out when TNG was going off the air. They ranked every episode of each series; TOS, TNG and the first couple of season of DS9. Qpid is close to the very bottom, but I really don't understand why. I love it.

I like all of those episodes and I especially like Darmok..But I have to say that I've always been partial to 'The Measure of a Man'..No real action in it and the entire show takes place on the Enterprise and that Starbase but I enjoy it..Great dialogue between Picard and Guinan..Picard certainly saves Data's life and future in this one..

One episode I feel doesn't get the credit it deserves is season 2's "Peak Performance," when Riker takes command of the Hathaway during a battle simulation. There's probably nothing really special about it, but I think it's just a great ep overall. It always keeps me entertained. :)

One episode I feel doesn't get the credit it deserves is season 2's "Peak Performance," when Riker takes command of the Hathaway during a battle simulation. There's probably nothing really special about it, but I think it's just a great ep overall. It always keeps me entertained. :)

254535[/snapback]

Peek Performence is difenatly a great episode. It really does show the difference in command styles between Riker and Picard, and the guy who played Kolrami (I think he passed away earlier this year or last) was great.

I love Darmok, myself. It's not a very well-known TNG episode (that I've found), but it's classic Trek.

254296[/snapback]

Really? I thought it was really popular among TNG fans. Stewarts and the late Paul Windfield's performence were outstanding in this ep.

Really? I thought it was really popular among TNG fans. Stewarts and the late Paul Windfield's performence were outstanding in this ep.

Amongst hardcore trekkies, it is popular, but among less hardcore fans, it doesn't seem to be nearly as well-known. How often do you ever see it played on TV? I've only seen it in one "best of TNG" marathon, and I've seen quite a few of those.

1001001 and Peak Performence were some of my favorites, I loved Minuett and I loved it in Peak when Data "busted up that observer" I can't remember his name. And what was the name of the game they were playing???

A few under-rated (hardly ever spoken of) episodes imo are-

Too Short a Season <price of immortality was well examined

The Defector <excellent study of Romulan treachery

A Matter of Perspective <Perry Mason would be in awe of the Holodecks abilitys.

Transfigurations <I consider to be worthy of an TOS episode

Suddenly Human <Picard plays Papa to a stunned audience (took two viewings before this one grabbed me)

Remember Me <Brilliant play on perspective imo.

I could go on...

I agree with having Darmok and Measure of a Man, I loved those ones. Some other opnes of mine that I love are:

"Cause and Effect" -- the introduction freaked me out

"The Chase" -- Loved the idea and the suspense, especially when the Cardassians played an ace

"Family" -- this might not be an underrated one but I loved it

"Face of the Enemy" -- got a lot of info about how Romulan vessels operate

"Tin Man" -- tension, mystery, emotion, all the makings of a good episode

"First Contact" -- not sure why, I just liked seeing how dangerous of a mission first contact can be

1001001 and Peak Performence were some of my favorites, I loved Minuett and I loved it in Peak when Data "busted up that observer" I can't remember his name. And what was the name of the game they were playing???

255129[/snapback]

Data beat that arrogant Kolrami at Strategema. (side note: may that man rest in peace; he was a talented actor).

I've gotta agree with most of the recent ones listed, especially "Suddenly Human", "Tin Man", "The Defector" (has one of the best scenes in all of Trek - those BoP's decloaking and scaring off the Romulans :) ), and "Darmok". The only reason I didn't mention "Darmok" and "Tin Man" before is that I thought those were pretty popular episodes.

And "The Chase"...

And "Face of the Enemy" (though I also thought that was a popular one.)

...I could go on... lol.

Face of the Enemy is Marina Sirtis's best performence. I think it was here and Chain of Command when I began to like her.

One other one I forgot to mention was The Mind's Eye. It's a shame they didn't make that a story arc along with the klingon story to end season 4 and start season 5. It should have been.

I loved Below Deks. It was just so interesting to see events on The Enterprise unfold from the point of view of people who just arent informed of the 'top of the line' events on board the Enterprise. We got to see what it was like to be a lowly crew member and there was mystery in the telling of an otherwise mundane storyline. The ending was sad and was a great follow up for a character who had been introduced in that Wesley/Academy episode. I think she was redeemed more than Wesley, and her stand up to Picard was one of the bravest things in Trek...

I loved Below Deks. It was just so interesting to see events on The Enterprise unfold from the point of view of people who just arent informed of the 'top of the line' events on board the Enterprise. We got to see what it was like to be a lowly crew member and there was mystery in the telling of an otherwise mundane storyline. The ending was sad and was a great follow up for a character who had been introduced in that Wesley/Academy episode. I think she was redeemed more than Wesley, and her stand up to Picard was one of the bravest things in Trek...

256199[/snapback]

You mean Lower Decks right? It was a powerful episode. It's a shame Sito Jaxa died, and wasn't aloud to be in DS9.

One of my favorite episodes was Conspiracy: The one where Starfleet command is controlled by the parasites. That was wicked and would have been good to have been picked up in one of the other series. (I know they were used in the DS9 books recently) but it would have been good to have seen the parasites in CGI instead of a hand puppet.

Another would've been great episode that left us with a never answered cliff hanger was in Season 6 called Schisms: The one where Riker and other crew members are being abducted and experiments performed on them by aliens from another realm. I was disappointed that those aliens never made their comeback in the Trek universe.

I would have liked to see them follow up on the episode where they learned that Warp Drive was destroying the universe. Alas, they never did.