Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

William "What the Hell" Riker

We've been watching the series again (buying one season at a time on DVD and rewatching ... we're in the middle of Season 4 right now). Anyway, we've been noticing that every time anything happens, Riker's first reaction always includes "the hell!" What the hell? Why the hell? Who the hell? Where the hell? It's quite funny, actually, and we've been getting really tickled every time we hear it ... seems like its in every episode at least once.

:thumbs: I love Will Riker ... I wish they'd do a new series with Will at the helm of the Enterprise and Picard back at the Academy doing a cameo every once in a while. Who else would watch that besides my husband and me?

Yes I have noticed the hell thing. :laugh: And I'd watch just about anything with Will in it B) as long as Deanna wasn't there :thumbs:

"The hell" thing is what my mom hates about Trek... :thumbs:

Hopefully she doesn't ban me from Trek because of this...

"The hell" thing is what my mom hates about Trek... :thumbs:

Really? B) I've never considered hell to be much of a bad word. I say what the hell probably more often than Riker. :laugh:

I have real never notice that he had said hell that many times. It looks like I have to review my DVD collection again.

Yes I have noticed the hell thing.  B) And I'd watch just about anything with Will in it :thumbs: as long as Deanna wasn't there B)

Amen to that, sister! :laugh:

B) :hug::thumbs:

You know, I have even got used to say "What the hell?" when something confuses me - because of Will Riker. :laugh: B)

(I guess I've seen too much TNG lately B) )

I really never noticed Riker's use of hell but now that you mention it, he did say hell alot. Over time I think most Star Trek characters have used the word 'hell'. It seems that hell has sort of fallen into Star Trek vocabulary. I've noticed that on Enterprise they seem to be moving into the B words. I remember Archer calling Silik an 'ugly Bas****' in Shockwave II and Trip has used Son Of a B**** on more than one occasion. Personally, I don't mind. I hear those words everyday at school. It's almost impossible to find a show on TV these days that doesn't say hell at some point.

Hahaha!!! B)

I thought that I was the only one who noticed this but I guess not.

It is so hilarious when Will gets upset or angry and says "what the hell" or something to that affect. It doesn't shock me anymore.

If I can watch a soap opera and they slip up and say " who the f$%#" then I guess I could get used to Will saying "what the hell" a few times. :laugh:

By the way, the Soap Opera was All My Children. I did have a copy of this episode so that I could show it to a relative because they didn't believe me at first. This relative thought that I heard the line wrong but later I proved them wrong. By the way, I no longer have this copy. :thumbs: It was hilarious at the time. B)

I will have to pay more attention to this hell thing. I never really noticed this about Riker.

We've been watching the series again (buying one season at a time on DVD and rewatching ... we're in the middle of Season 4 right now).  Anyway, we've been noticing that every time anything happens, Riker's first reaction always includes "the hell!"  What the hell?  Why the hell?  Who the hell?  Where the hell?  It's quite funny, actually, and we've been getting really tickled every time we hear it ... seems like its in every episode at least once.

Huh?

Maybe it is just that I never really paid much attention to Riker when watching the series, but I never noticed him saying "the Hell"(at least not in every episode anyhow). I guess I will check that out next time I watch an episode of TNG.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

ive noticed it a few times, but not that many. And i dotn think its a big deal,i hear that kidna language all the time, so it doesnt bother me. I dont see why it would bother anyone, its just an expression.

I hope no one was thinking that Will's popping off with the occasional "hell" was OFFENDING me ... quite the contrary. We think it's funny ...

In a show we were watching last night "Clues" from season 4, PICARD said: "Where the hell are we?" And we really cracked up then, cuz we figured Riker was rubbing off on him! (Frakes: "Yo, Stewart, you're stepping on my line!")

I can't seem to get the emoticons to work, but believe me we are LOL here in Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky.

:tribble: Riker does use the word Hell a lot..And it never really dawned on me until I read this thread..It does seem to be a 'Riker catch phrase'..I'll have to pay closer attention to Rikers dialogue..

He was also very inefficient in explaining to the Captain what was going on on a planet or beam down. Always 'YOU SHOULD SEE THIS' OR ' THERE'S SOMEWHERE HERE YOU SHOULD MEET' or what ever.

He was also very inefficient in explaining to the Captain what was going on on a planet or beam down. Always 'YOU SHOULD SEE THIS' OR ' THERE'S SOMEWHERE HERE YOU SHOULD MEET' or what ever.

247764[/snapback]

Geordi does that too. I watched an episode today and Geordi said "You'd better get down here right away. I think there's something you should see." He wanted to show him how the DNA fragments on various worlds created a program. While this is ground-breaking, if Picard had known what Geordi was going to show him he might have said: "So download it to a datapad and get THE HELL to the bridge!"

I didn't notice the hell thing in that ep, but Riker does tend to say it more than other crew members especially in the early seasons.

Ok So what the hell??

If i may say so..I must start watching the DVDs again

And i also noticed he Damns alot too

I didn't notice it, until I read this thread and started thinking about it.

Hell, it's probably because I say hell a hell of a lot. Probably a hell of a lot more than Riker. :hammer:

I had not noticed but I have not seen TNG for ages. I must get the DVDs then I can look out for it. :dude:

I have noticed it. It's kind of like Tom Paris always saying "Charming Fellow" on Voyager or something. It's a tagline to the character.

"What the Hell" is an acceptible term to the FCC I mean you couln't expect Riker running around saying "What the ----" now could you? You know he wants to but Captain Picard would probably bust him back to Ensign if he did.

"What the Hell" is an acceptible term to the FCC I mean you couln't expect Riker running around saying "What the ----" now could you? You know he wants to but Captain Picard would probably bust him back to Ensign if he did.

253333[/snapback]

I don't think the FCC was as strict as they are now about language. :hammer:

253333[/snapback]

:dude:

I know that I would be running around saying "What the ----?" Picard would probably skip Ensign for me and send me straight back to the Academy or at least have me make a deposit into the ship's swear jar!

And everytime he does say "what the hell" he dets this weird squinty eye thing goin' on. Just for a split second though. :dude:

Yea, I noticed this as well...it's his catchphrase I suppose the same way that "Dammit, Jim" is McCoy's catchphrase...and "So you see my dear", is Garak's catchphrase...