Sign in to follow this  
trekzone

Is Star Trek in for a 6th series?

i am thinking very seriously to sell my fan fiction to Paramount, in person with a full fledged presentation and the first season or two or three written. This is a serious thought by me, I am completling a tertiary course in Screen, which is media. And as part as my break into the film industry i am coming to L.A. to work for a company. I will already have an impressive portfolio with about 10 productions under my belt and a written series as well as 2 websites and a series most likely in its 3rd season.

I am not joking around, i would like a vote of support as well as comments and/or suggestions about this. We, as a community of STF, could have a "6th series" party in Hollywood?

Again, I am dead serious about this idea. Please respond.

A serious answer is that I think UPN has about killed the Star Trek franchise. It would not matter how good your work is if they don't grasp the concept of plot and character development. I'm just very anti-Paramount right now. Who knows maybe in ten years they'll be ready for a new Star Trek. In the mean time I hope you find other avenues for your talent.

i am thinking very seriously to sell my fan fiction to Paramount, in person with a full fledged presentation and the first season or two or three written.

You can't sell what they already own. :thumbs:

This is a serious thought by me, I am completling a tertiary course in Screen, which is media.

Awesome! :thumbs:

And as part as my break into the film industry i am coming to L.A. to work for a company.

You gotta share us all the details on that! :thumbs:

I will already have an impressive portfolio with about 10 productions under my belt and a written series as well as 2 websites and a series most likely in its 3rd season.

What TV series?

I am not joking around, i would like a vote of support as well as comments and/or suggestions about this.  We, as a community of STF, could have a "6th series" party in Hollywood?

I would love a 6th series, but a 24th century series won't happen. Chances are that Paramount will want to see ENT run it's coarse, then wait 2-3 years before moving onto series six, which will probably be set in the early days of the Federation. :b-day:

::prays to G-d as she always does::

thank you blessed Lord for all the good things you have done

If you decide to let trek come back for a six series PLEASE make it better than ENTERPRISE

You know, technically yours would be a seventh series. Everyone forgets TAS but according to ST.com, it is one of the current six. I agree with Tinadoll, though. :thumbs: And I hope it will be set in the 24th or 25th century.

the 24th century, yes - 6 months after Nemesis.

and captain, they dont own my fan fiction....thats what i would be selling.

the T.V. series is called 23 and a third - releasing only on the web in January next year.

I would like to see another series, but for a long time. Paramount and UPN has truely "milk the cash cow". Star Trek needs to cool down for awhile. If not, the series will be died. <_<

and captain, they dont own my fan fiction....thats what i would be selling.

Well, the problem is that STAR TREK is copyrighted and subsiquently owned by Paramount Pictures. Thus, if you would not be able to sell your fan-fic since Paramount owns Trek and you do not. You could get an agent and try to work for Paramount though. However, after 3 shows in the 24th century, I'd rather see the 22nd century explorred for a while. I'd still like to see a few more 24th century movies. :laugh:

actually according to Australian and International copyright as well as the Star Trek.com editor the fan fiction "idea" is mine, based upon "Star Trek: created by Gene Roddenberry"

so i could sell the "idea"

actually according to Australian and International copyright as well as the Star Trek.com editor the fan fiction "idea" is mine, based upon "Star Trek: created by Gene Roddenberry"

so i could sell the "idea"

You could sell the concept, but you would not be able to copyright it nor claim it as your own since it is based on copyrighted work.

i could copyright the "idea", which is what i will be doing. no one else can write "Poseidon" and anyone that steals it will face legal repercustions.

It is based upon Star Trek, yes - but I have a statement from the ST.COM editor that i can use it...

i could copyright the "idea", which is what i will be doing.  no one else can write "Poseidon" and anyone that steals it will face legal repercustions.

It is based upon Star Trek, yes - but I have a statement from the ST.COM editor that i can use it...

The ST.com editor is wrong. If you copy right that work, you could be potentially slapped with a very large lawsuit. For more information, go here.

CJLP is right...

I hope that their will be a new series maybe something on the Titan!!!

havent you read the posts WEAREBORG4102??? i am not talking about the Titan, please do not go off topic.

An idea for a 6th/7th series which i am for is Excelsior. I think that a lot of people actually wanted to see that ship have it's own series (with Sulu as captain of course :laugh:), but since paramount didn't listen and made Enterprise instead, ratings for a trek show have hit lower then ever before. And i even think the first 1:16 or 1:17 seconds of the ending theme for Undiscovered Country would be a nice fit as the theme for the Excelsior series :laugh:.

thanks again to you scaleman for going off-topic.

please read the first post in this thread and post about that not about your desire for series 6/7 - if you want to do so, make your own bloody thread.

I would like to add, Trekzone, that if you truelly want to make a 6th Series and have a good enough imagination, go for it. However, you can't just go out and produce it. You'd have to go through Paramount and ask them if they'd let you produce a Star Trek series, assuming you pay them royalties. Do research on U.S. Copyright, since it's a U.S. copyrighted product, and get an agent. Who knows, you might succeed. Just do us fans two favors: hire a continuity guy and don't reset the franchise. :laugh:

Hey, all the header shows is this is about a 6th/7th series of star trek. I just gave an idea which has been around for a few years is all ':laugh:'.

Guest -*Mrs,Weyoun*-

ya. its to bad paramount dosent buy stuff off outside people no matter how good it is. i have been there done that. u get a letter telling u it was all tossed and they arent intrested. that they hier people to do it for them. i think there stupid some people do really good.

a possability though. why not start ur own stuff? or find a small company to buy it and make it big. it is a possability. and then no one misses out on some of the good stuff others can do.

just an idea. :laugh:

I dont know if, at present, Trek can handle a sixth series. however, Star Trek has NEVER been a ratings catcher. an average of 3 million viewers watch Star Trek, either first run on Enterprise, or in syndication, like TNG, DS9 and TOS. However, the demographical data is enough that it keeps it on. the problem is, 3 million viewers can't compete with 10 million for Friends reruns, and such.

EJP, where did you get that info? I was under the impression that TOS & TNG were both a huge success, thus why both shows got movies, while DS9, VOY, & ENT get average ratings for a SCI-FI show.

It just boggles my mind how a crappy show like FRIENDS can do better than ENTERPRISE. :laugh:

I read the number somewhere. I think it was neilson, but it may have been an independant study. also, though, huge success for a TV franchise depends on the Franchise. DS9 and TNG may well have earned 5 or 6 million a week, which, when compared to Enterprise, would make them WILDLY successful. Another example would be if they made a "Friends: the Next Generation" and it only had 7.5 million, it would be considered a flop.

Regarding the ratings, i think part of the reason the ratings are lower is because of the massive amount of media which people can access, be it print, radio, tv (satellite being a pretty good example alone), or the internet itself. But another part of it i think is the dumbing down of society, if it weren't for this more people would recognize the benefits of a manned mission to mars etc.

off ratings you 3!!!!!! and scaleman, the title leads into the first post which is about the subsequent posts....

and CJLP, for the time being Poseidon is written not produced - only Paramount would produce it.

and EJP, its not coming now!! read my top post...its in 6-10 years - once i graduate from tertiary ed.

in 6-10 years, will anyone care about trek? Time to be a pessimist, and My apologies, but I think there are people who are losing faith in Star Trek. their numbers, while small, do grow. in 10 years, there may NOT be enough people who will watch a new series to make it worth while.

in 6-10 years, will anyone care about trek?

This is a question that I think shouldn't be asked. You will have your TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and franchise fans. Will Trek take a break from TV after ENT? Probably. How long? Who knows. The question, in my opinion, should be: Will people be interrested in a new STAR TREK show in 5-10 years?

Time to be a pessimist, and My apologies, but I think there are people who are losing faith in Star Trek.

I agree, but for different reasons. Some people have had enough of Trek and are ready to move on to new things like STARGATE. Others are obsessed with continuity, some only like a "specific" Trek show. This is why I strongly believe that each series and movie needs to be able to stand on it's own if the franchise as a whole is to survive. B&B made the right choice to try and build a new audience with ENT as the existing one is shrinking.

their numbers, while small, do grow. in 10 years, there may NOT be enough people who will watch a new series to make it worth while.

That is a strong possibility, but this will put producers, whoever they be by then, to produce a truelling compelling TV show that will draw in viewers.

The sad truth is, if you ask a random person to watch an episode, they'll say, "No thanks, I don't like Star Trek." It doesn't matter which series the episode is from, or even if it's a movie. They're answer will be the same. :laugh: