Sign in to follow this  
fenriz275

something I can't stand

This is a simple topic. List a food or beverage that you can't stand.

For me it's bananas, I start gagging involuntarily when I taste banana. It's some weird reaction I can't control.

Stardate:214246.8

I cant stand cottage cheeze.I have the same reaction to that as you do to bananas

Guest EJP

I can't stand Ferengi and their big ears...

I have that reaction to sushi. Just the idea of raw fish *shudder* ew ew ew ew ew bedlam.gif

I never tried sushi...I have a reaction just thinking about it :wow::wow:

Guest EJP
I have that reaction to sushi. Just the idea of raw fish *shudder* ew ew ew ew ew bedlam.gif

I never tried sushi...I have a reaction just thinking about it :wow::wow:

Raw fish. One word: uggg

Sprouts with Chestnuts, my sister insists on cooking them every year for christmas and trying to make me eat them. Yuuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkk :wow:

I have raw fish at least twice a week and more often in the summer. I tend to have sushi 2 or 3 times a week at work and sashimi (just "straight" raw fish) at home once or twice. It's incredibly healthy, though I can see how many North Americans and Europeans would be anxious about it.

As for wasabi, which Bysty mentioned, I had a nasty experience with it the other week, a situation in which I'm sure some of you would have gagged. I was at a pub with some friends and we decided to play a game like Russian Roulette, but with sushi. As you may know, wasabi is green paste put between the fish and the rice to give it a little kick. In this game, 10 pieces of sushi are served on a plate, and one is jam-packed with wasabi and inedible for many people. Everyone plays rock, paper, scissors to decide who eats the first one. I was #2.

On this night, the selection was a piece of squid or tuna sushi. The wasabi is hidden inside the rice so you can't see which one is the bad one until you try it. I made it through the first round OK and was still a little unsure at that point what the game was about since I wasn't paying much attention to the explanation, which was in Japanese, and we were all consuming alcohol. As we approached the second round, the tension began to build as there were only four pieces left for the six of us, meaning that two people got off lucky only having to eat one piece each.

Down to 3 pieces, I tested my luck and chomped hard into a piece of squid. It tasted fine at first, but then I noticed a spicy, burning sensation in my mouth. I managed to swallow half the sushi and a lot of wasabi without tasting it by biting it in two and piling it down. Alas, the taste was too much for me and I could fee my stomach beginning to convulse and my throat pushing what had made it that far slowly upwards. When my neck started gyrating forwards, I decided it would be better to spit out the remainder of the sushi rather than wait for it to drag the rest of my meal out with it.

I don't really hate wasabi, but it's not my favourite. If you're not sure what it is, for the quantity I ate, try to imagine drinking vinegar from a glass or eating a pet bottlecap full of salt or something. Not pleasant.

My eyes are just watering at the thought of that much wasabi. I do enjoy sushi!

I do not enjoy bananas, and I've never had sushi (can't stand the thought of it - poor North American :wow: ), but the food I get the gag reflex for is cooked beets. I love pickled beets, but any other way, and they start coming back out before they truly get down.

This is a simple topic. List a food or beverage that you can't stand.

For me it's bananas, I start gagging involuntarily when I taste banana. It's some weird reaction I can't control.

That's very interesting that you don't like bananas. I like fresh bananas, but I detest dried bananas. A few years ago, I was biking across the country, and for two days in the middle of nowhere, the only thing I had to eat was two pounds of dried bananas that I packed. I got so sick or eating dried bananas that I still loath them.

Vegetables in a can. Especially green beans. The life cooked out of them til they resemble little dead bodies :wow::wow:

The SMELL of mouldy bread :frusty:

Drinking milk you thought was ok but suddenly realizing it wasn't :huh:

A funny aftertaste <_<

I have raw fish at least twice a week and more often in the summer.  I tend to have sushi 2 or 3 times a week at work and sashimi (just "straight" raw fish) at home once or twice.  It's incredibly healthy, though I can see how many North Americans and Europeans would be anxious about it.

As for wasabi, which Bysty mentioned, I had a nasty experience with it the other week, a situation in which I'm sure some of you would have gagged.  I was at a pub with some friends and we decided to play a game like Russian Roulette, but with sushi.  As you may know, wasabi is green paste put between the fish and the rice to give it a little kick.  In this game, 10 pieces of sushi are served on a plate, and one is jam-packed with wasabi and inedible for many people.  Everyone plays rock, paper, scissors to decide who eats the first one.  I was #2.

On this night, the selection was a piece of squid or tuna sushi.  The wasabi is hidden inside the rice so you can't see which one is the bad one until you try it.  I made it through the first round OK and was still a little unsure at that point what the game was about since I wasn't paying much attention to the explanation, which was in Japanese, and we were all consuming alcohol.  As we approached the second round, the tension began to build as there were only four pieces left for the six of us, meaning that two people got off lucky only having to eat one piece each.

Down to 3 pieces, I tested my luck and chomped hard into a piece of squid.  It tasted fine at first, but then I noticed a spicy, burning sensation in my mouth.  I managed to swallow half the sushi and a lot of wasabi without tasting it by biting it in two and piling it down.  Alas, the taste was too much for me and I could fee my stomach beginning to convulse and my throat pushing what had made it that far slowly upwards.  When my neck started gyrating forwards, I decided it would be better to spit out the remainder of the sushi rather than wait for it to drag the rest of my meal out with it.

I don't really hate wasabi, but it's not my favourite.  If you're not sure what it is, for the quantity I ate, try to imagine drinking vinegar from a glass or eating a pet bottlecap full of salt or something.  Not pleasant.

Wow! I've played that game before! I've got a pretty tough stomach, but I know the

feeling. I like how that much wasabi makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick

out.

me three boys. Fake friends. Had around 30, only there for what they could get and how stupid they could make you feel.

I have very few friends, I just trust those i do have.