Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Could a society function without money?

Another scene from First Contact is where Picard explains to Lily that money doesn't exist in the 24th century. He says the acquisition of wealth is no longer man's driving force. Three questions.

1. Could a society realistically function without money?

2. Do you feel the acquisition of wealth is really our driving force today? Isn't obtaining wealth really just a means to obtain education, travel, ST DVD's etc?

3. How would the Federation interact with other worlds that did use money? I remember on DS9 Sisco offered latinum to Quark on behalf of Star Fleet as part of a negotiation.

Stardate:214221.7

1.Yes but some kind of huge global event would have to happen first.I believe the star trek universe is a good exaple.The combinations of a world war and first contact could do it.WWIII crippled the economy and communications of the earth and the vulcans showed them another way.

2.Yes it is

3.I imagine they do have latinum in order to interact with other species such as the ferengi but thats probably all its used for

I don't think it is possible to have a world without money...

come on...

We can't go back to bartering...

I'll just throw out an idea about number 2 for a second. I agree that money is a means to an end, but I think the ends get larger as our wallets do and the desires of most people are not satiated by achieving them. Everything we own leads us to want more: If we're satisfied by it, we want more it it; if not, we want something else.

It is also a measure of self-worth for a lot of people.

I dont think we could function with out money there are just

to many ppl who only interst is how much money they can get.

But if you think about it money would not mean as much if they only thing you had to do to get somthing is to walk over to a replacater and ask for it. Why would you need money?

I do not quite see how that transition would be managed, but just think about the fact that after WWIII, there are probably no presses printing money. So work is being done, things are being accomplished, order is being maintained, but the use of money is probably on the decline. Perhaps the Vulcans influenced the final switch to another system.

I think the society would use some sort of barter system. I function without money more often than I'd like myself. :elephant: :unsure:

I consider money as a means to living, I need money for rent, food and enjoyment. If I wouldn't need money for those things, I wouldn't need money at all.

Sure, just make sure everybody owns a gun :rofl:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Phaser, level 16. Let me shoot that metal pot over there to demonstrate... oh wait I already did that. :laugh:

But yes, who cares about money, I want STUFF!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will just beam the DVDs in the store to my house; forget the money.