Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Who's the best expert on the Borg?

Something occured to me while watching (again), First Contact. When Picard makes his big speech to Lily in his ready room and vows to make the Borg "pay" for what they've done, it seemed to me that if anyone would know about the Borg it would have to be Jean Luc himself, since he was assimilated himself and has some pretty tragic memories about the entire episode before being rescued. But then last saturday, the Voyager episode "Unimatrix 0" was re-played and in that episode, the heroic Captain Janeway, who by now has meet the Borg and defeated them more than Picard has, vows to stop the Borg queen from destroying unimatrix 0 by incorporating a virus into their central plexus (?) byh becoming assimilated herslef along with Tuvok and Belanna. Since, when you become assimilated you become part of the hive mind, doesn't it work both ways? I mean if the Borg can use what you know to better themselves, wouldn't someone being released from tyhe collective retain the memories and thoughts of what the Borg are doing and thinking and use that against them? Could this be what made Janeway so effective against the Borg on their home turf or was she just lucky? And because of her repeated encounters with the Borg always resulted in her getting the upper hand, wouldn't that make her the undisputed expert on all things Borg? As Lt. Barclay put it in "Endgame", she wrote the book on the Borg for Starfleet, even though as the series ended that became an alternate timeline. Who would you prefer to have on your side in an encounter with the Borg, Picard or Janeway? In my opinion, Janeway becomes my first round draft choice to defeat the borg over Picard? Opposing views and thoughts, as always, are welcome.

Picard was linked to the collective for 6 days. Janeway was assimilated for a number of hours, she was never linked to the collective thanks to help from Holo-Doc.

While Janeway has more experrience, I think I'd go with Picard since he knows the Borg inside and out and can even here the collective thoughts when a ship is near by.

I agree with CJLP.

Jean-Luc knows more about the Borg than anyone else (except Seven of Nine).

I would prefer him at my side when it comes to a battle against the Borg. :waaaa:

Mrs. Captain Picard

Personally I'd prefer Janeway because of her vast encounters/ experience, and because she had Seven.......the biggest wealth of information anyone ever had in dealing with the Borg :borg: :waaaa: :borgqueen:

Edited by Gotabite

janeway, hands down, walking away. She's been assimilated,come back from, and defeated them in battles. Plus the fact that she has restored 7 to her humanity and is very close to her. 7 has shared much information about the inner workings of the Borg with her.

SEVEN IS THE EXPERT IN BORG!!!!

:borgqueen: :borgqueen:

Picard does since he was once one, made 1st contact, and still hears them. Janeway, while experienced, is by no means more knowing than Picard about the borg.

I'd say the Borg queen! lol. However, between Picard and Janeway, it would definately be Picard. Janeway always got her intelligence from Seven, Picard is the intelligence. In first contact he knew where to strike whereas nobdy had a clue. Even when he told them where to shoot he was questioned as to the logic of it. They didn't think it was a vital part of the cube... but it certainly was. Go Locutus!

I would have to say picard but janeway did have to deal with

the borg a lot too. :)

Also, Commander Shelby is an expert. You can see where she is tamin the purple eyed-xenexian captain Calhun on the starship Excelaber in the new frountier seris :)

I'm going to have to add Data to the list. He did interface with the Borg information system in BOBW.

SEVEN OF NINE

can jean-luc recite the number for every species the borg has ever encountered NO!

Edited by Capt.Vash

I think that Seven and Picard are the experts.....

Seven is the expert in technology...

Picard is the expert in the psychological part of it...