Sign in to follow this  
Goose

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

The st.com refugees were some part of the problem but I DON'T blame them, any of them that caused a little trouble when they got here I feel it was because they hadn't yet come to see what we were about. They were used to how things went down over at st.com (and probably every other Trek site on the web) and didn't understand about how different things were here right away. I witnessed the transformation they went through when they realized we weren't business as usual. It was reflected in their posts with statements about how happy they were to have found a site like this & was further testament to VBG for the positive power of what he had created. (a FEW still have the st.com mentality but they will come around in time depending on their personalities)

2. The second biggest part of the problem was (imo) the fun began to get a little out of control. Many, (including myself) began to blur the lines between places where having some fun was ok or seeing a topic as one for serious postings. People posting serious topics don't want their threads to become a playground (not just in Kronos either, people also want serious topics in forums meant for serious discussions) if their thread becomes an off-topic joke haven then ill feelings are sure to follow. Solution? Simple, keep funny business on forums it belongs on; Data's Holodeck, Photo Album, some cutting up in New Members (if you know the person) and Crew Promotions (same) would not be out of the question, Risian Humor and of course Games. There are lots of places to kid around with out ruining what serious visitors are trying to do here.

1. Imo the REAL TROUBLE is with over-opinionated member(s) who think the key to debating topics is to repeatedly cram their opinions down others throats to the point of it ceasing to be a debate and becoming an race to have the LAST WORD no matter what the cost. Someone has to say the time has come to agree to disagree BEFORE it explodes. I cannot Mod peoples opinions about a given topic, (and I hate looking for who to place blame on) it would not be fair for me to say one person is right and another wrong, (my opinion on the topic is irrelevant) the fairest thing I can do is to close the thread forcing the combatants to square off in PMs or (hopefully) just drop it and move on.

The only thing that I might add to Alterego's point number 2, is that Personal Logs are also a place to have a little fun as long as the owner of the Log goes along with it.

Also, I think people need to be reminded that what happens in Kronos, should STAY in Kronos. What transpires there should not affect the way you interact with those members in other forums.

Imo the REAL TROUBLE is with over-opinionated member(s) who think the key to debating topics is to repeatedly cram their opinions down others throats to the point of it ceasing to be a debate and becoming an race to have the LAST WORD no matter what the cost.

Very Very Very True AE.

I can be like that at times, but I try not to be, I'm sorry if I make give anyone grief. :waaaa:

(btw haven't seen you for awhile Sam, nice to see you again :tear: )

Edited by Nemesis

I resent the thought of St.com refugees are the reason why the arguments are breaking out

In the St.com chat we had no rules thats true but most of us were nice people.Why bad mouth them.Ever since i came here i have made freinds and made enemies.

There is a difference between arguing and having a debate.For example,Debating does not mean that you badmouth the person(I have done it directly,some do it in directly)

One thing that LOTB said is correct UF YOU DON"T LIKE THE TOPIC YOU ARE POSTING>DON"T POST IT!

Its saves me the trouble of reading it in the first place

The only thing that I might add to Alterego's point number 2, is that Personal Logs are also a place to have a little fun as long as the owner of the Log goes along with it.

Also, I think people need to be reminded that what happens in Kronos, should STAY in Kronos. What transpires there should not affect the way you interact with those members in other forums.

Yes thank you for adding that Indy.

Nemesis Posted on Mar 11 2004, 11:39 AM I can be like that at times, but I try not to be, I'm sorry if I make give anyone grief. 

Nem, the point of this thread is not to point fingers and cause guilt but to help us all remember what we used to be and ask that we try to regain our former glory with analysis of the events.

WE ARE STFS! :waaaa:

Ever since i came here i have made freinds and made enemies.

I Find The Idea Of Making "Enemies" On A MESSAGE BOARD...Highly Disturbing :waaaa:

Though I Guess Some Could Say The Thing About Making "Friends"

And Hey Nemesis

I've four things to say:

1. I agree with everything you said, Goose. :tear:

2. STF.net was fine till ST.com shut down their chatroom, then we got flooded with people who've no idea how to behave on a message board, treating it like a chatroom.  Who invited all those people anyway?  I never did like most ST.comers.

3. People are too sensitive these days.  They should be able to read a post without taking it personal unless adressed to them by name.

4. We have too many "pointless" posts by people trying to increase their post count.  Stuff like someone saying "I don't know." when someone asks a question. :waaaa:

Thanks i am for the old startrek .com its things like this that make me wanna go back but i am gonna stay just to piss you off

I did not say all ST.comers, I said most, but I guess I should have said some as "most" may make the people here feel as if I'm pointing fingers. I appologise if you feel it was aimed at you, I was talking about the some of the new members, not all. I'm sorry I upset you. :tear:

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Guest Ktrek
The implication that some one took offense for no " intelligent" reason sounds like your calling someone stupid.  Also saying if people took the time to read what they wrote before sending, implies that your sitting right there with them and know every move everybody makes. Implication. Like you know everything.  Then why do people have to ' explain' every single point they make.  Can't you,  meaning you, the whole group, just accept another's point without beating it to death because either you don't understand, or it doesn't agree with what you believe?

You see part of "diversity" in a community like this is that we all come from different backgrounds. I do think it is not an unreasonable request to ask someone to clarify what they said and why they said it. If we are going to promote diversity here then "understanding" is crucial to any dialogue. It's like if I made a statement saying that "she was hot" would I mean she was physically hot or was she really good looking? The context may help me but sometimes there is not enough information to help the person "understand" where you are coming from. It is not a matter of belittling, looking down on or anything else but a matter of trying to really understand where a person is coming from. That is the only way you can resolve predjudice, suspicion and hate. That is what Star Trek teaches and what I would like to see promoted here.

As for my statement above about "intelligent reason" perhaps I should have qualified by saying "discernable intelligent reason". As for the other part it is so obvious that if they had actually really read what was posted and responded and read what they were about to post they would likely have seen the error before it's out there for everyone to see. I have read many many posts that it was obvious the person responding didn't read or understand rightly because they posted just the opposite of what was being said. The "preview post" button is a pretty cool feature! :waaaa:

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Promote diversity. I think we don't have to do that, we are diverse. We just accept diversity, if we don't, we just go somewhere else.

So people DO make mistakes, I don't know anyone who doesn't.

Finding fault with every little thing, is called nit-picking, and doesn't do anyone any good. It just makes people angry and frustrated.

Putting a smiley face at the end doesn't make it go down any easier.

Guest Ktrek
Promote diversity. I think we don't have to do that, we are diverse.  We just accept diversity, if we don't, we just go somewhere else.

So people DO make mistakes, I don't know anyone who doesn't.

Finding fault with every little thing, is called nit-picking, and doesn't do anyone any good. It just makes people angry and frustrated.

Putting a smiley face at the end doesn't make it go down any easier.

You'll have to forgive me but I work at a University and the "promotion" of equity and diversity is a common theme on our campus. I wish it was as easy as just saying "accept" diversity but the reality of it is we are so far away from it that we must "promote" diversity until it is accepted. Gene Roddenberry's "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations' Is a great and worthy thought but the practical "how to" to get there is another matter.

I don't think questioning a persons statements for motive, perspective etc. is being nit-picky as you say. Is it so hard to believe that people may actually be interested in not just hearing "what" you have said but actually understanding what you mean by what you said? and "why"? I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

And also the use of the smilies is to help "temper" what has been said to keep things on a friendly note. I assure you that everything I have posted in this thread or any thread on STFans has been to help and not to hurt. I think a little "reflection" would prove that to be true. I am not a bitter mean spirited individual and genuinley care for everyone that is a regular on the board. I just have a different style of conveying it! :waaaa: Peace!

Ktrek

Sam

I mean i met people who i talk to on AIM and i met people i had to put on ignore...

hey now, IMO of course this doesnt mean you ahve to agree. we all come here of our own free will, and if we, or anyone doesnt like what they see, and take it truly to heart, or offensively, why keep coming back for more, or being argumentative about it. i know i come here to pass time, and associate with friendly people i have met here. after all just from what i see here, there are a lot of people i could see myself hangin out wiht, and having a good time. lifes way too short to let crap like that get to you. if you dont like it, dont post, or at least not while your angry. i now we all say something sometimes thats not so great but come on now, cant we jsut be friends? i know i still enjoy coming here, and will for a long time to come, after all some of you have made things a little easier to swallow with your kind words, and well wishes, so i will always love this place. well thats what i think anyway.

PEACE

Problems Problems Problems. Oh well, I do not stop by here much anymore. It is not because I do not like this place. It was because I became a Mod on one forum and I have a forum of my own to maintain. VBG has always made this place special. He spent a lot of time tweeking out bugs and giving this forum a Star Trek feel. It is sad to see that it has gotten out of control.

We now need passwords to the chatroom. VBG has added security that was not here before. All I have to say is that it makes me sad. I hope it improves. I hope it does not come to the point where the security disrupts the free speech.

I still enjoy this site and always have. I don't think it's going down hill or was. (although I don't frequent it all to often now but that is for reasons not related to the site)

We now need passwords to the chatroom. VBG has added security that was not here before. All I have to say is that it makes me sad. I hope it improves. I hope it does not come to the point where the security disrupts the free speech.

Well you have to think of it like a Home. You have keys to get in when the doors are locked. Why are the doors locked? For security. You've always needed a password to log on to STF.NET. The Chat Room is integrated with the board now which means that the user name and Password system that controls the Board also controls the Chat Room.

We are averaging 170,000 hits per day so far this month and with that kind of traffic you have to have security. It's not a matter of curbing Free Speech, it's a matter of providing a a friendly place for people to gather.

Stardate:214194.9

Well I am sure glad everyone has kept this thread from getting locked. Im glad everyones sees the point and is talking friendly.The way this is going we should be bacl to the way things were in no time! :dude:

I did not say all ST.comers, I said most, but I guess I should have said some as "most" may make the people here feel as if I'm pointing fingers.  I appologise if you feel it was aimed at you, I was talking about the some of the new members, not all.  I'm sorry I upset you. :dude:

Ok i accept your appolgie,yes i did take what you said as a pot shot at

me,your not the first and wont be the last but normaly i dont react to

such things,but i came here when ST.COM chat closed,not to cause

trouble but to enjoy my self,yes there are one or two bad appels who

came and are not really the type of ppl we need here but you get that

every where you go these days,hopeful the ppl who are makeing trouble

or thinking about it will think twice before they do its not something that

i consider as fun.

QUOTE:

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG....rodney king

Well if you notice the mood now, its going back.

I am glad to hear that :grin: . I have not been around here much as of late, kind of had a lot of things going on (including the fact I am a member at another board, as well as a moderator at another). I was a bit shocked to sign on and find this thread, so I am definately glad to hear that things are returning to normal.

Miss Soong I agree with you . MY daddy always said respect others they will respect you. Sounds like a pratice to me.

I've four things to say:

1. I agree with everything you said, Goose. :assimilated:

2. STF.net was fine till ST.com shut down their chatroom, then we got flooded with people who've no idea how to behave on a message board, treating it like a chatroom.  Who invited all those people anyway?  I never did like most ST.comers.

3. People are too sensitive these days.  They should be able to read a post without taking it personal unless adressed to them by name.

4. We have too many "pointless" posts by people trying to increase their post count.  Stuff like someone saying "I don't know." when someone asks a question. :grin:

unfortunately, Captain, people are as sensitive as they always have been. We just weren't paying attention.

Also, I didn't realize people here needed an invitation. I wasn't invited by anyone. OOPS, i'm sorry, yes I was. I was in the .Com Lounge before it closed and people WERE coming in and inviting ALL of us to come on over. hmmm. Where is Reginald barkey anyway? :assimilated:

STF.net was fine till ST.com shut down their chatroom, then we got flooded with people who've no idea how to behave on a message board, treating it like a chatroom.  Who invited all those people anyway?  I never did like most ST.comers.

Really? Hmm. That really just gives me SO many warm fuzzy feelings for you, CJLP. I personally think that you do a hell of a lot more instigating and troublemaking than anyone else I've seen. But hey! What do I know? I'm just a loser from st.com. Sorry I bother you, but you don't own the board. :grin: