Sign in to follow this  
Luvin1stdegree

Math is hard!

Last week I got a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl

took my $2 and was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents

from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the

nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register.

I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me back

two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help and while he

tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this? Read on.

Teaching Math in 1950:

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.

His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.

What is his profit?

Teaching Math in 1960:

His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80.

What is his profit?

Teaching Math in 1970:

A logger exchanges a set "L" of lumber for a set "M" of money.

The cardinality of set "M" is 100. Each element is worth one dollar.

Make 100 dots representing the elements of the set "M."

The set "C", the cost of production, contains 20 fewer points than set "M."

Represent the set "C" as a subset of set "M".

Answer this question:

What is the cardinality of the set "P" of profits?

Teaching Math in 1980:

His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20.

Your assignment:

Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math in 1990:

By cutting down beautiful forest trees, the logger makes $20.

What do you think of this way of making a living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question:

How did the forest birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down the

trees?

There are no wrong answers.

Teaching Math in 2000:

His cost of production is $120. How does Arthur Andersen determine

that his profit margin is $60 ?

Teaching Math in 2005:

El hachero vende un camion carga por $100.

La cuesta de produccion es...

;) B) That's great,

I'm just glad my math curriculum was harder than the average of the day (80's-90's). :)

You mean to tell me that after becoming bilingual and hiring what was (at the time) a top notch CPA firm this poor logger is still trying to sell the same truckload of wood for 54 years?

:)

Ya know, one day I am going to not be in the Navy, and I'll probably own a little pizza place somewhere in the Northern Suburbs of Chicago, or maybe the southwestern side of San Diego. and I am going to put right on the menus and fliers

NO HABLO ESPANIOL!

then again, I am wierd. I refuse to learn a new language in my own country because the immagrants are too lazy to learn the most commonly spoken language in this country.

Edited by Ensign Jim Phaserman

*tilts head* um.. *looks at screen hard* this concept of math.. it seems forign to me.. :lol: (i hate math, the stuff we are learning now in my class is too easy and im in a class with a bunch of stupid people..)

:laugh:  :rofl:  That's great,

I'm just glad my math curriculum was harder than the average of the day (80's-90's). :laugh:

lol, so was mine, but I still do terribly in most math. I'm a pro when it comes to stats and probability, though. :rofl:

This joke has made the rounds, because I heard it November 2003 from a math graduate chair at a major university. It would be funny if it weren't true in the worse way. The person telling the joke to me and others was telling it with an ironic tone, because we are in the midst of it. We are producing a generation with minimal math skills ( and I am not referring to any youths who love math and have chosen to learn it--- Bless You!). :clap:

Ya know, one day I am going to not be in the Navy, and I'll probably own a little pizza place somewhere in the Northern Suburbs of Chicago, or maybe the southwestern side of San Diego. and I am going to put right on the menus and fliers

NO HABLO ESPANIOL!

then again, I am wierd. I refuse to learn a new language in my own country because the immagrants are too lazy to learn the most commonly spoken language in this country.

Ummmm Spanish is actually the most commonly spoken language in the world... It is also difficult for someone just to pick up a new language and most immigrants are trying to learn a new langauge.

When some speaks to me in Spanish they usually get the same response that people get from me when they use English, a blank stare. I find that eventually they go away or poke me with a stick. Either way it's all good. :)

You could have just grabbed your food and ran away and saved the poor girl the pain. :)

NO HABLO ESPANIOL!

Ummmm Spanish is actually the most commonly spoken language in the world... It is also difficult for someone just to pick up a new language and most immigrants are trying to learn a new langauge.

incorrecy Nemesis!!!!

Where did you get that fact??

Spanish is not even second!!!

Chinese is and English are very close they are either 1st of second spanish is spoken less tan either of them...

I am thirteen, and I am so happy I decided to both go to a private school, and skip ahead in math. I would hate to have the 90s example IN MATH CLASS!!!! It might be good for literature or history or something...

Math isn't hard. It's like balancing things and taking off jacket's and sweatshirts. Well that's algebra anyway. Calculus is a little more complicated.

We are producing a generation with minimal math skills  ( and I am not referring to any youths who love math and have chosen to learn it--- Bless You!). :unsure:

192322[/snapback]

I'm starting yr 11 math next yr, even tho i'll be in yr 10. i suppose it's better to get it out of the way, though :blink:

I refuse to learn a new language in my own country because the immagrants are too lazy to learn the most commonly spoken language in this country.

129692[/snapback]

Right on, Jim! What is with it with all these people who come here and insist on speaking Spanish? This is the United States of America! Speak Vietnamese like everyone else!

What always got me in math was you always had to show your work on the tests. If I could have just put down the answers than I could have at least maybe guessed a few right. At least then I'd have had some hope. On the bright side my teacher did give me 6 points once for putting my name on the paper. :blink: :unsure:

I refuse to learn a new language in my own country because the immagrants are too lazy to learn the most commonly spoken language in this country.

129692[/snapback]

Right on, Jim! What is with it with all these people who come here and insist on speaking Spanish? This is the United States of America! Speak Vietnamese like everyone else!

279466[/snapback]

:blink: :wacko: :o That's what makes this country so great. :unsure:

NO HABLO ESPANIOL!

193003[/snapback]

Very true, Nemesis. Being as I have a few friends from work that though they do speak English(very well actually), it is not their native language. I can definately agree with what you have said. Plus the fact that my grandfather was from Norway, and though by the time I was born or even by the time my father was born...my grandfather did speak really good English, he probably did not speak it with ease when he first arrived here. Now, if you got him angry....he'd start ranting & even swearing in Norwegian, but other than that he spoke English.

As per the original topic. THough I am a child of the 80's, I definately understand the 50's math that was posted. But then, I love mathematics(well, except I can get a little frustrated when dealing with certain facets of Calculus and Differential Equations)

70's kid and I was never that good in math just was able to get to multiplication table Algebra and the higher math eludes me and yet my job in a office my Co-workers deal alot with math but of items that people buy from them("Reps")and same with the Companies that buy the items that I mail out to them everyday.

:dude::laugh::dude::clap:

I like math alot because it goes fast and the time goes to. some math problems can be hard some can be easy also.

Lizzy S

I live in a city of math better know it here.

But Spanish is becoming the other thing you

need to know here me i'm holding out :P