Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Change 3 things on ENT.

If you could change 3 things about ENT, what would they be?

Here's my choices:

1. Go into syndication.

2. Keep B&B, anyone else might try to make it "kewl and accessable", thus getting the show cancelled.

3. Drop the sexual themes.

What about you guys?

This thread idea came from TrekBBS.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I'm the odd girl out. The theme song never bothered me. ;) If we're talking three changes that are realistic, if I actually had the power to implement them.....

1.)I'd kill off one main character--Hoshi Sato. This would appease the ENT "never takes risks" crowd and possibly throw the NX-01 back into situations where communication is a major problem. I like Hoshi well enough, but I'm not really emotionally attached to her like the other characters. Hoshi isn't so popular that the audience would turn on the writers, but the other characters are protective of her. Her death would ripple through them and create story, especially for the underused Travis and for Phlox, with whom Hoshi was close. If I had to implement one radical change this would be it. Killing off a female character touches men on a base level.

2.)I'd push Archer a little farther to the dark side. Not that I'd have him running around killing people willy nilly but I wouldn't mind seeing him succumb to the stress he's under. Have him start snapping at the crew, be brutal with some Xindi prisoners....that sort of thing. Have Archer suffer a few nightmares of his own. Do the morally gray thing again during a command crisis. That sort of thing.

3.)Focus more on the Trip/Archer, Trip/Malcolm friendships. In spite of Archer's increased stress I'd script more interaction for him and Trip. Let Trip be Archer's emotional lifeline. Archer and Tucker's bond transcends the stress and the situation. As Similitude demonstrated, Archer has a deep emotional need for his young friend whether he admits it or not. I'd script Malcolm into this plot development. Trip may need a lifeline of his own. Trip confides in T'Pol, but as we know.......

Click for Spoiler:

Trip and T'Pol will become sexually involved after "Harbinger." That complicates the situation and then some. Morpheus the spoiler man confirmed. He's never been wrong. He says there's no groping; it's all tastefully handled off screen but referenced in such a way that the audience can't possibly mistake that Trip and T'Pol have become sexually involved

Malcolm should be Trip's lifeline just as Trip is Archer's. You can't go wrong focusing on the friendships. Bakula, Blalock, Trinneer and Keating all have that chemistry going on. ;) Focus on the friendships and everything else will take care of itself. :bow:

Edited by MoulinRouge

I don't really have any complaints i just wish we got it in the U.K sooner. We have to wait until January to see the start of season three so not long now ;)

Basically, I think the program is fine as it is; but, there are a few things I wouldn't mind seeing and I do have a few beefs with the show even though I enjoy each episode.

1) Bring in more ships/personnel. Having one ship wandering around the expanse taking on the Xindi is idiotic at best. They'll be bringing more in later,,, right...

Click for Spoiler:

cue Shran

2) Do something about Hoshi. I'm not 100% sure I agree with killing her off, but it would at least add some tension to the show. She's pretty much redundant given the presence of UTs. It's absurd to have someone with the ability to pick up languages as fast as she does and remember that many. Either that or make her useful in some other way. I thought they were heading this way when she "saved the ship" (or hallucinated that she did) in the transporter accident - they really should have used this as a turning point for her if they were going to. Her character is virtually useless as it is and I always feel like stories that involve her are extremely contrived. The last episode in which she had a big role, "Exile," didn't need to be her. They could've rewritten it to use another character.

At least put her to work on analysing Xindi data.

3) Make the combat more realistic and tense. Watching T'Pol's martial arts makes me laugh (I have a black belt) and when the MACO's start playing laser tag with aliens I never really feel that there's any tension - it looks more like me and my buddies playing paintball ("Ooh, I nearly got shot... I'll just conveniently crawl into this corridor and hide until they go away."). Ditto for Malcolm's impaled leg in the Romulan minefield, where I never wondered once whether he'd make it out alive. I'd like to see the crew deal with the effects of combat instead of just using it at the end as a quick and clean resolution to a problem.

The best episode so far re. combat situations for me has been the one where there wasn't any. I can't be bothered looking up the name, but the one where Archer and co. infiltrate the Xindi base. There was good tension in that episode as I waited for them to be found, but they never were (Was it "The Shipment?").

As for the other stuff mentioned so far...

Keep B & B on: How is that a change? That would be not changing something. ;)

Sexuality: Make it real or give it up. This teeny-bopper fantasy stuff is almost painful to behold. Either have them go at it or cut it out. It's really grating on me and just getting in the way of better story-telling. And please, for goodness sakes, no romance - they're on a space-ship and supposedly under a lot of tension, but sometimes it feels more like "Titanic" (DiCaprio's) than a paramilitary vessel.

Friendships: This is a good idea and some of the best episodes and scenes have explored the depths and limits to friendship. "Shuttlepod 1" is a good episode example and Archer getting angry at Trip in the episode where he ends up indirectly causing a suicide and Trip getting crusty with Reed are a few scenes that stand out. I expected T'Pol and Hoshi to form some sort of relationship as the 2 female officers, but it hasn't developed. T'Pol's condescending attitude towards Hoshi built some tension into the show in the early days.

1. Put back the old theme.

2. Drop the words Star Trek from the title.

3. Resolve the Xindi arc and resume telling stories as was done during the first two seasons keeping the TCW as the primary threat arc.

The only change I would make is to put the theme song back to it's original version. Everything else is fine as it.

You get a big ditto from me VBG.

The new theme is not fitting. I would love for the musical arrangement to be like the original theme, and have Bakula do the vocals. Shatner and Stewart did the voice-overs for their shows, so why not have Bakula sing?

Otherwise, I like the show as it is.

I love the show but if I could change anything (it would be more like adding things)

1) Increase the character developement, the more I know the more I care.

2) More Star Trek history, I love learning how things came to be.

3) More exploration, although I do love a good story arc they probably should be limited to 3 -5 episodes and have plenty of good ol exploration mixed in.

I wouldnt kill off any of the main characters they just need to be written in to the episodes more.

Ohh and I would change the theme song back to the original!

Edited by archerfan

Same with VBG, put the intro back to the original version (but I'd say that includes removing Star Trek from the title) ENTEPRISE ROCKS AND SHOULD REMAIN THE WAY IT IS... it should develop of course but I will say how because I have full confidence that whatever happens... ENTERPRISE WILL REMAIN GREAT

1.) More development of Mayweather, he could pretty cool if he did more than just be the mandatory pilot.

2.)Make T'Pol's dialogue a little less human. In many episodes she shows emotions in both her inflections and her dialogue, that show she is not emotionally barren. I do realise that the writters may be trying to slowly make her more human and get her romantically involved with Trip (I HATE Spoilers!!!), but she could still become involved with him and remain more or less Vulcan, like Sarek.

3.)If anything tone down the technology, and the sets could have been made more TOS. The sets and technology, are very influenced by later VOY and DS9.

I'm fine with the theme, I'm not thrilled about the romance with T'Pol but it does intrigue me at times, and I think that the exploration themes havn't taken to much of a hit in the Expanse.

I was happy until I read MR's spoiler. That will ruin the show for me.

Click for Spoiler:

they don't "match" - they're not suited for each other. She's a much better match for Archer who is much more reserved than Trip. Trip is the most emotional member of the crew - it just doesn't work. Not to mention it will totally ruin the wonderful tension and difference in perspective they've added - I love their spats. I think they should have continued to develop the Spock/McCoy type relationship with them. This is when I think there is too much sex - when they throw character development and common sense out the window just because they think sex is a sufficient basis for a relationship. I just have to rant ---- I liked Trip - he was my favorite character, they have ruined it, ruined it, ruined it.

If I were going to keep watching it would like to see another female character - someone who isn't there just to look sexy or to be protected (ie weak like Hoshi - although she's getting better). I'd also like her to be a scientist - I love the role of Dr. Jackson on Stargate and I think Enterprise needs a scientist on board. And I think she should be likeable.

I agree more character and relationship development. (except for that one mentioned above)

And I'd replace Travis or maybe Travis and Hoshi

TUH,

I agree with the comments in your spoiler. I also like the idea about the female scientist (a romantic interest for Phlox, perhaps?).

My ideas:

1. More Phlox. I don't mean episodes centered on him, just more involved in the stories.

2. T'pol & Trip is a nice little diversion. It must end. Archer & T'pol is the way to go. ;)

3. Go back to the happy-go-lucky Trip.

I like ENT the way it is, too. :) I was just suggesting changes because it was the thread subject. ;)Unicornhunter, I'm sorry you didn't like the spoiler. :( Manny Coto (Similitude) will be writing that episode, so it has a decent chance of playing well. Definitely not ANIS redux. Morpheus the spoiler man hasn't been a big fan of the idea up until now, but he's on set (like I said, he's never been wrong about a spoiler yet) and he says it's surprisingly tasteful as scripted and not the main focus. He was encouraged, and Morpheus is rarely encouraging. :) Personally, I'm just glad that they're going to pull the trigger instead of juvenile teasing like they've done until now.

Anyway, there are lots of other great things going on. Shran's coming back and there's an episode about religious extremism coming up-also authored by Coto--which is very topical in today's world. :biggrin:

Edited by MoulinRouge

I read several things about "the darkness of Archer." Now I like Archer's ethical intents. I'm glad he started off good-hearted and now, how he's getting a bit of a darker edge to him. I sincerely don't think that he makes enough mistakes however. He always seems to have the right answer (well most of the time) and this makes him unrealistic. I want to see him make a "Trip" error sometime. One that would lead the crew to question his "leadership" and for him to somehow find a way to redeem himself.

I was happy until I read MR's spoiler.  That will ruin the show for me. 

Click for Spoiler:

they don't "match" - they're not suited for each other.  She's a much better match for Archer who is much more reserved than Trip.  Trip is the most emotional member of the crew - it just doesn't work.  Not to mention it will totally ruin the wonderful tension and difference in perspective they've added - I love their spats.

I disagree,

Click for Spoiler:

We see totally opposite on this one.I think that the fact that Trip is one of the most emotional characters is what will make the relationship interesting. You say you love there spats, that is the chemistry they have together. I have never liked the idea of Archer and T'pol becoming an item. How totally unprofessional for the captain and the first officer to become romantically involved. I see there relationship more like Kirk/Spock type, truly best friends. I guess we just both can't be happy on this one.

I was happy until I read MR's spoiler.  That will ruin the show for me. 

Click for Spoiler:

they don't "match" - they're not suited for each other.  She's a much better match for Archer who is much more reserved than Trip.  Trip is the most emotional member of the crew - it just doesn't work.  Not to mention it will totally ruin the wonderful tension and difference in perspective they've added - I love their spats.

I disagree,

Click for Spoiler:

We see totally opposite on this one.I think that the fact that Trip is one of the most emotional characters is what will make the relationship interesting. You say you love there spats, that is the chemistry they have together. I have never liked the idea of Archer and T'pol becoming an item. How totally unprofessional for the captain and the first officer to become romantically involved. I see there relationship more like Kirk/Spock type, truly best friends. I guess we just both can't be happy on this one.

I think you all have it all wrong about T'Pol's romances...

Click for Spoiler:

The way I see it she'd be the type that would go for a guy in a cowboy hat... ;) :biggrin:

I think the show is fantastic the way that it is. However here are a couple of things I would change if I had the power.

1. Change the Theme arrangement back to where it was in the first 2 seasons.

2. More Phlox. He is a wonderful character and we should see more of. In TOS McCoy would come to the bridge a lot to see what what going on and to be there with his fellow crewmates. Doesn't he also need to be able to evaluate the mental state of the Captain in times of stress? Seems to me that he needs to be around the Command Officers more often..

3. Travis and Hoshi need to be given other duties to do besides just Communication and Helmsman. Hoshi would be good working with Phlox somehow with his creatures in Sickbay. And how about involving Travis in with Security somehow? Give him something besides just flying the ship..

1. I agree with those people who would like to see the original theme tune returned.

2. In fact I would like to see more sexuality, like in The Original Series where Kirk would get the girl then kick alien *buttocks*. I believe that the sort of action that we got with TOS would be the prefect formula to create a long lasting popular show.

3. While many have stated that they like the relationship between Trip and T Pol I feel that it would not be a good thing to see it develop into some sort of love affair. The reason I say this is because I believe what is implied through smaller actions create more interest and caring for the characters, for example, the Mulder and Scully relationship during the first half of the show before the producers bowed to fan presure.

Leave everything you know behind, it wont work in the new frontier. We are heading for TOS, we the Romulan War, we need the foundation of the Federation and we need a twist.

season 3 is fine the way it is. Any romance is good, and if B&B want to put Hoshi in short shorts and a sliky dress, all the merryer!....but seriously though, we need not see a comparison with TOS until TOS, the NX-01 is exploring the virgin depths of space, areas that will eventually become Federation sectors, we need the volatility to lead to the foundation of the Federation, one for all and all for one.

I believe that the Enterprise sets are prefect for the time, they still hold true TOS, but they show rapid technological progress with Plasma screens etc. The tricorders will be evolved and they have the flip-top communicators, what more can you ask for?

The NX-01 carries 83 crew-members, the NCC-1701 carries 450 crew-members, with the excess of crew, the computers maybe toned down. Although the change was inevitable - that is, it was going to happen regardless.

ST: Enterprise cant be toned down anymore, because if it is it will do two things:

1) Loose ratings, and eventually be moth-balled.

2) Keep up the hostilities with alien races, because by TOS we will have our feet (remember Archer in Shockwave, Part II??? and Forest in Broken Bow "Its finally time to swim - that is, by the time Kirk and TOS comes around, they will have their space legs, and they will be able to make peacefull contact and explore strange new worlds and new civilisations).

They also need to insert a Human-Vulcan-Andorian alliance to show the 3 founding members of the Federation working together to make peace throughout the galaxy.

Click for Spoiler:

and why the heck - in Twilight - didn't the Vulcans assist Earth and Starfleet when it was under attack - in the opening teaser??? That got me ticked off, the Vulcans shouldve been there to defend their "babies" / "allies"

In "Twilight", the Vulcans believed that the Humans got themselves in trouble with the Xindi becuase they went out into deep space too soon, thus the Vulcans believed the Humans "did it to them selves". Besides, the Vulcans probably thought it wouldn't be logical to risk their world for another that never listens to them.

I agree, aside from the sexual themes, I think ENT is excellent as is. There's a few changes I'd make though. Tone down the sexual themes, get the show off UPN and into syndication, more advertising, stop comparring it to TOS and let it become it's own show, and include the Romulan War.

In "Twilight", the Vulcans believed that the Humans got themselves in trouble with the Xindi becuase they went out into deep space too soon, thus the Vulcans believed the Humans "did it to them selves".  Besides, the Vulcans probably thought it wouldn't be logical to risk their world for another that never listens to them.

I agree, aside from the sexual themes, I think ENT is excellent as is.  There's a few changes I'd make though.  Tone down the sexual themes, get the show off UPN and into syndication, more advertising, stop comparring it to TOS and let it become it's own show, and include the Romulan War.

I have not seen one episode that contained sexual themes, are you sure we're watching the same "Enterprise"?

In "Twilight", the Vulcans believed that the Humans got themselves in trouble with the Xindi becuase they went out into deep space too soon, thus the Vulcans believed the Humans "did it to them selves".  Besides, the Vulcans probably thought it wouldn't be logical to risk their world for another that never listens to them.

I agree, aside from the sexual themes, I think ENT is excellent as is.  There's a few changes I'd make though.  Tone down the sexual themes, get the show off UPN and into syndication, more advertising, stop comparring it to TOS and let it become it's own show, and include the Romulan War.

I have not seen one episode that contained sexual themes, are you sure we're watching the same "Enterprise"?

Go watch "Bounty".

I did, great episode! I did not find it that sexual.

T'Pol runs arround in her underwear while endurring Pon'Far, begging Phlox and Reed for sex. How is that not sexual?

Nothing happened..Haven't we been down this road before CJLP?..Let's get back on topic please..I wouldn't want this topic beamed to Risa..

T'Pol runs arround in her underwear while endurring Pon'Far, begging Phlox and Reed for sex. How is that not sexual?

Nothing happened..Haven't we been down this road before CJLP?..Let's get back on topic please..I wouldn't want this topic beamed to Risa..

Exactly, nothing happened, no sex, and people in their underwear is not sexual. But as space tigger says lets get back on topic.

Click for Spoiler:

A beautiful woman in her underwear screaming have sex with me

is not sexual? Whatever you say.

Actually spacetigger, I think it is on topic. T'Pol is the perpetual sex object - I would like to see her develop an actual character where she does something besides inspire hormone levels to rise. I thought Bounty was about the worst episode they've ever made and I'm afraid they're just going back down that road rather than let her act like a Vulcan.

Why can't she go on a mission without Archer or Trip and actually "do something"?

Click for Spoiler:

Almost every other episode she's either captured, tied up, sniffed, fondled, rescued or half naked. They're just way too obvious.

I agree with TransporterMalfunction the cheap meaningless sex would be better between one of the officers and the alien visitor of the week rather than between two officers. (he didn't say that exactly but that was what it was with Kirk)

Klingonmike Posted on Dec 19 2003, 12:57 PM

You either just want to argue with CJLP or maybe you've fallen asleep? They didn't design those decon gel scenes to make you think about engineering.

I'm not arguing they should remove all such scenes - just acknowledging why they're there.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Luckily I don't see things the way that TUH and CJLP see it..I'm just not seeing these things as sexual..I guess it all depends on how a particular persons views it. But I see no point in going back and forth about it..I'm done..I'm going to a different forum...Bye.. :biggrin: