Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What if Trip had been replace by the clone?

What if Sim had stopped rapid-aging once he reached Trip's age. Would you be willing to have Sim, who's in perfect health, take Trip's, who's in a coma and might die, job as chief engineer?

Would this be any different than VOY's "Deadlock", where Harry and Naomi, the baby, from the duplicate Voyager returned to the real Voyager? Actually, I allways believed that both ships were the "real Voyager", kind'a like how a cell splits it to two instead of duplicates.

Anywho, like I said, this is assuming that Sim would stop rapid-aging when he reached Trip's age. As a person, Sim would be unique, but as a chief engineer, he'd be fully capable. So, what are your thoughts?

LOL, I would never be able to accept the fact that the writers killed off the "real" Trip in season 3 only to be replaced by a clone. I think it would show a massive lack of creativity on their part.

I'm glad this episode has created this much discussion. The sign of a truly great story is one that gets talked about.

Final word...I wouldn't accept "Sim" as a replacement to Trip, nor would many other fans.

I don't think I could have accepted Sim as a replacement to Trip. Sure Kim and O'Brien were killed off but they were replaced by themselves. Sim was not Trip and therefore could not replace him. Despite the fact they look exactly the same I think there would've always been the feeling that Trip was gone forever.

You're talking about an alien replacing a human, I know it's "just a TV show" but how could you advocate an alien replacing a human as if he himself were that human. No, the crew in a real life situation would not be able to just "plug sim in" to Trip's quarters and pretend like nothing happened.

In the real life situation of it being a TV show I don't believe the fans would accept the situation and the show would lose credibility. The whole point of the episode was to show you a couple of things.

1. To show you the closeness of Archer to his friend Trip.

2. To show that Archer isn't going to let anything to stand in his way in completing his mission to save humanity. Not even his own moral convictions will stop him from saving humanity. The stakes are too high and if he has to murder a clone or throw a Xindi out the airlock to save humanity he will and he will live with the decisions knowing that 10 or 20 Billion people (not counting future generations) will live.

Kind of like how the DS9 episode "In The Pale Moonlight" ended. "I can live with it".

You're talking about an alien replacing a human, I know it's "just a TV show" but how could you advocate an alien replacing a human as if he himself were that human. No, the crew in a real life situation would not be able to just "plug sim in" to Trip's quarters and pretend like nothing happened.

In the real life situation of it being a TV show I don't believe the fans would accept the situation and the show would lose credibility. The whole point of the episode was to show you a couple of things.

1. To show you the closeness of Archer to his friend Trip.

2. To show that Archer isn't going to let anything to stand in his way in completing his mission to save humanity.  Not even his own moral convictions will stop him from saving humanity. The stakes are too high and if he has to murder a clone or throw a Xindi out the airlock to save humanity he will and he will live with the decisions knowing that 10 or 20 Billion people (not counting future generations) will live.

I was fully aware of just how "human" the alien-clone of Trip is, and no one said anything about "plugging Sim into Trip's life" as if nothing happened.

Well, you're forgetting something. Sim wasn't Trip, he was Sim, so if Trip died and Sim lived, Sim would be a new character. Sim wouldn't replace Trip, it'd be a crew member dieing just after a new person joins the crew. However, I understand what you're saying about TV, I just think it's lame that people are too close minded to except a clone as a sentient individual capable of living among us as an equal.

Kind of like how the DS9 episode "In The Pale Moonlight" ended. "I can live with it".

Actually, I found this to be disturbing.

I just think it's lame that people are too close minded to except a clone as a sentient individual capable of living among us as an equal.

It would have just been a silly, useless plot turn. It would be better to have Data's head found floating in space then take B4's head off and replace it with Data's so we get Data back. After all B4 isn't a living being right? So removing his head for Data's wouldn't be like killing him.

Actually, I found this to be disturbing.[/color]

I found it refreshing and real. It showed that in war hard decisions have to be made and they aren't always nice ones to make. The people making them then have to live with those decisions and their consequences. For Sisko the salvation of the Alpha Quadrant, the Federation and humanity was enough of a reason to be able to live with the hard decision.

I just think it's lame that people are too close minded to except a clone as a sentient individual capable of living among us as an equal.

It would have just been a silly, useless plot turn. It would be better to have Data's head found floating in space then take B4's head off and replace it with Data's so we get Data back. After all B4 isn't a living being right? So removing his head for Data's wouldn't be like killing him.

Actually, I found this to be disturbing.[/color]

I found it refreshing and real. It showed that in war hard decisions have to be made and they aren't always nice ones to make. The people making them then have to live with those decisions and their consequences. For Sisko the salvation of the Alpha Quadrant, the Federation and humanity was enough of a reason to be able to live with the hard decision.

Useless plot turn? That's your opinion. As for Data's head floating arround space, then switching it with B4's head? Why not just turn off B4 for a while, so they can study B4 to create a duplicate body, then reactivate B4 and attach Data's head to the duplicate android body. Problem solved. However, most of the Schimitar was incinerated, so there's no chance Data's head is "floating arround", not to mention that StarTrek.com lists him as deceased.

Actually, I found this to be disturbing.

From a story perspective, I totally agree, but I can still disagree with Sisko.[/color]

Useless plot turn?  That's your opinion.

It would seem so.

As for Data's head floating arround space, then switching it with B4's head?  Why not just turn off B4 for a while, so they can study B4 to create a duplicate body, then reactivate B4 and attach Data's head to the duplicate android body.  Problem solved.

How much of a movie would that take up?It would be easier for B4's brain to short out, detatch his head and put Data's on it. I wasn't actually serious with the suggestion anyway. It was made to show a silly plot turn that shouldn't be done.

However, most of the Schimitar was incinerated, so there's no chance Data's head is "floating arround", not to mention that StarTrek.com lists him as deceased.

Prove it to me beyond the shadow of a doubt. Convince me as I've asked you to do for 8 months now.

From a story perspective, I totally agree, but I can still disagree with Sisko.

I completely agreed with him. It shows that people with great burden make great decisions. People unable to make those kinds of situations don't find themselves in positions of leadership and will likely remain in positions of serving others.

However, most of the Schimitar was incinerated, so there's no chance Data's head is "floating arround", not to mention that StarTrek.com lists him as deceased.

Prove it to me beyond the shadow of a doubt. Convince me as I've asked you to do for 8 months now.

Watch the end of the movie again. That's all the proof I need. Unless the character is "brought back", then for all intents and purposes, the character is dead. As for trying to say that Data is alive, that is wishful thinking and perhaps denial of what happened in the movie. When Tasha died, did you think she'd be back for the next episode?

Ok, both Kims were the original Kim. They were NOT duplicates. A partical can be phased on a quantum level to exist in more than one place. Technically, both Kims should have had the same experiences after their quantum phasing because they are in all regards the same individual... not separate. The fact that one died and the other lived made ZERO sense. It is like that episode where voyager "punches through" an event horizon.... It made ZERO sense.

The theme with Trip and Sim was that they were the same AND different. Having Sim as the cheif engineer would not be the same as having Trip. I would be completely ANGRY if they did that. I would have lost faith in B and B!

Speaking of duplicates, I hated it when B'elanna was split into her klingon half and human half. Since each or made up of different genes they could not have been the original B'elanna. Then the Klingon died (or was it the human one). The Doctor then added her human DNA back to the klingon B'elanna altering this NON B'ELLANA into something LIKE B'ELLANA. As far as I'm concerned, she died in that episode.

I never saw that episode until the series had ended. I was completely annoyed that I had been believing that B'elanna was the original one, when in fact she was not. IMO anyways. It's a matter of philosphy, but lets take this for example.

You have a solution of SALT + WATER. Together they are SALT WATER. You separate the two into SALT + WATER. Now you "kill" the SALT leaving just WATER. Obviously, the SALT WATER does not exist. Neither does the SALT. SALT WATER has died. By adding some protons, neutrons, and electrons in the right manner to the WATER, you create SALT WATER. But this is not the same SALT WATER as before. It is the original WATER with NEW SALT. (ie original human b'elanna with NEW klingon b'elanna)

Now, lets take this thinking further. If Trip was COBALT. Sim would be NEW COBALT (if he was an ordinary human and not one that dies quickly) Clearly NEW COBALT is a separate entitly (a clone) even if the same.

So if NEW COBALT is a clone, so is NEW SALT. That would make B'elanna half original entity, and half CLONE. So what is she? She is not B'elanna. That is all I can say.

That was my daily RANT... I must go to bed now. This now concludes your philosophy lesson.

With B'Elanna, both the Human and Klingon versions of her contained her personallity and memories. The Klingon side was the one who died, so the EMH took that Klingon DNA and re-integrated it with Human B'Elanna so here human phisyology would not crash. You could say B'Elanna was split into a Human and a Klingon, the Klingon dies, and but the Klingon DNA is put back into the Human B'Elanna. Here's a question. What happened to B'Elanna? Did the extract all her Klingon DNA, leaving her Human, and creating the Klingon? Did they extract the Human DNA, making the Human B'Elanna, a clone of some sort, leaving us with a Klingon? Perhaps B'Elanna died in the process of being cloned into a human and a klingon? I think that she had her Klingon DNA removed, leaving her Human, and making a Klingon B'Elanna clone thing, thus, we've allways had the real B'Elanna.

As for Harry, yes, they were "both" Harry. My point is, if no one blinks at Harry being replaced with himself, then why would it bother people to have Sim replace Trip as chief engineer, but not the person?

Watch the end of the movie again. That's all the proof I need. Unless the character is "brought back", then for all intents and purposes, the character is dead. As for trying to say that Data is alive, that is wishful thinking and perhaps denial of what happened in the movie. When Tasha died, did you think she'd be back for the next episode?

I said convince me beyond a shadow of a doubt. I don't see Data explode, I see a ship explode. Give me 100% rock solid proof that Data was vaporized in the explosion, prove to me that there was no way possible for him to have been transported by the Romulans before the explosion.

If Brent Spinner is alive then Data is alive. Brent dies then Data dies too.

As for Harry, yes, they were "both" Harry. My point is, if no one blinks at Harry being replaced with himself, then why would it bother people to have Sim replace Trip as chief engineer, but not the person?

Because Harry IS Harry, Sim ISN'T Trip. The question isn't "why would it bother people to have Sim replace Trip", the question is "why wouldn't it bother you to have an alien clone replace him"?

I said convince me beyond a shadow of a doubt. I don't see Data explode, I see a ship explode. Give me 100% rock solid proof that Data was vaporized in the explosion, prove to me that there was no way possible for him to have been transported by the Romulans before the explosion.

Because Harry IS Harry, Sim ISN'T Trip. The question isn't "why would it bother people to have Sim replace Trip", the question is "why wouldn't it bother you to have an alien clone replace him"?

all these are valid arguments.......VBG is correct in respect to Data and Sim...

Harry is Harry, every experience up until the moment in Deadlock was "theirs" but with Sim, there is no history, no past...therefore he is an "alien" by all counts of having him "Vulcan massaging and working to find the Xindi"....Sim doesnt have the same drive as Trip to find the Xindi, because Sim never lost his sister. Replacment Harry's life was real Harry's up until the point where the ship split.

I would, in time, grow to respect Sim as Trip, but the barrier would always be there, because the Trip i knew is gone.

With Data, there is a chance that the Romulans beamed him away, or his head is floating, but with no conclusion (no wrap up) on debris servey, they could say that his head was found in the debris and his head was attached to B4...

there is always possibilities.

I think you're looking too far into the matter. Data is on the Schimitar, aims his weapon at the Thaelaron (spelling?) generator, kaboom, ship explodes. The intention of the movie is that Data died. Thus, Data remains dead, unless there is a "new story" where Data was revealed to have "not" died or somehow brought back from being destroyed. You want proof from beyond a shadow of a doubt? That's kind'a hard when the explossion vaporised his body. It's "possible" that Data was beamed out by Romulans, but we didn't see it happen, so we have no reason to assume it did. Now, you are right, it's "possible" that Data survived, but the way I see it, he died. Prove to me he didn't die.

Well, you're right, Harry and the other Harry are, for all intents and purposes, the same person. Sim has all of Trip's memories, experrience, knowledge, capabilities, and appearance. So, why couldn't Sim replace Trip as chief engineer? Also, you've missed what I've said before: Sim would be replacing Trip as an engineer, he would not be replacing Trip as a person. This means that the crew would have a funeral for Trip, morn his loss, then welcome Sim as the new chief engineer and as a new cremember, not a "spare Trip".

Harry is Harry, every experience up until the moment in Deadlock was "theirs" but with Sim, there is no history, no past...therefore he is an "alien" by all counts of having him "Vulcan massaging and working to find the Xindi"....Sim doesnt have the same drive as Trip to find the Xindi, because Sim never lost his sister.  Replacment Harry's life was real Harry's up until the point where the ship split.

I would, in time, grow to respect Sim as Trip, but the barrier would always be there, because the Trip i knew is gone.

With Data, there is a chance that the Romulans beamed him away, or his head is floating, but with no conclusion (no wrap up) on debris servey, they could say that his head was found in the debris and his head was attached to B4...

True, but Sim has Trip's memories, knowledge, experriences, everything that Trip is, so in a way, Sim's life orriginated Trip. Sim's memories and experriences are real, they just didn't happen to him.

As for respecting Sim as Trip, why would you do such a thing? I would view them as seperate, unique entities.

Yes, it's possible that the Romulans beamed away Data... however, with the extreme battle going on and Donatra's two ships dissabled, I find it to be highly unlikely. As for Data's head floating arround? Most of the Schimitar was incinerracted. Data may be sturdy, but he's not indestructable, as we've seen him damaged many times durring the series.

Indeed.

my wording - you'd respect Sim as Trip - no thats right....youd respect his knowledge, experriences, everything that Trip is.....in Sim..

Data is gone, yes....at this blurry eyed stage of 2:19am, yes your right CJLP!

True, but Sim has Trip's memories, knowledge, experriences, everything that Trip is, so in a way, Sim's life orriginated Trip.  Sim's memories and experriences are real, they just didn't happen to him.

As for respecting Sim as Trip, why would you do such a thing?  I would view them as seperate, unique entities.

Yes, it's possible that the Romulans beamed away Data...  however, with the extreme battle going on and Donatra's two ships dissabled, I find it to be highly unlikely.  As for Data's head floating arround?  Most of the Schimitar was incinerracted.  Data may be sturdy, but he's not indestructable, as we've seen him damaged many times durring the series.

Indeed.

What do you suppose "Sim" stands for and means?

Similitude

Definition: \Si*mil"i*tude\, n. [F. similitude, L. similitudo,

from similis similar. See {Similar}.]

1. The quality or state of being similar or like;

resemblance; likeness; similarity; as, similitude of

substance. --Chaucer.

Let us make now man in our image, man In our

similitude.                        --Milton.

If fate some future bard shall join In sad

similitude of griefs to mine.      --Pope.

2. The act of likening, or that which likens, one thing to

another; fanciful or imaginative comparison; a simile.

Tasso, in his similitudes, never departed from the

woods; that is, all his comparisons were taken from

the country.                          --Dryden.

3. That which is like or similar; a representation,

semblance, or copy; a facsimile.

Man should wed his similitude.        --Chaucer.

That means Sim is "Similar" to Trip. Sim is a completely different person. He, in reality had a completely different father then Trip did. Phlox is Sim's "father". His childhood was completely different and he formed separate interests. Was his romantic desire for T'Pol his own or Trips? Since Sim has a completely differetn frame of thought (since he has a whole lifetime of memories and experiences that Trip doesn't) what happens when Sim decides that he didn't sign up for Starfleet and he wants out at the next planet? We can be fairly sure that Trip wouldn't do such a thing but Sim? Afterall he isn't even Human.

As for Data's head, you should check out the evidence:

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=7107

Perhaps, but what if Sim had decided to stay on Enterprise? Why couldn't he be accepted as the new chief engineer? I know Sim is different, but that doesn't change the fact that he has Trip's memories, experriences, and knowledge, making him a fully capable chief engineer. So, if Sim had stopped rapid-aging when reaching Trip's age, and if Trip died for whatever reason, could you accept Sim as a new member of the crew?

Why couldn't he be accepted as the new chief engineer?

This is my last visit to this topic, it's gotten old now. The reason Sim couldn't be accepted as a member of the crew is:

Click for Spoiler:

Because if he didn't go through with the procedure Archer would have forced the procedure on him and killed him. Trip comes back and Sim's body is shot out into space. Roll credits.

it is getting old.

CJLP, in contradiction to my stance here : no-one could accept Sim as a new member of the crew...because of the SImilitude to Trip.

For an episode we can accept the same actor playing a different character, but I think it would be subconsciouly confusing for the actor to be suddenly playing a different character. I would sometimes find myself thinking he is Trip, only to realize he is Sim.

VaBeachguy, you're one of the few who agrees that it wouldn't be simple for Sim to step into Trip's job and be accepted. Sim didn't take a loyalty oath; he could feasibly want out of the job at any time and not be legally bound. Plus, there's no guarantee that he would handle pressure in exactly the same way (identical twins often have different personalities) and how exactly is the command situation handled? Realistically, what happens with the crew when Sim tries to give orders as third in command? I can picture someone saying, "Wait a minute. Why do I have to follow his orders? He didn't earn the rank of 'commander.' That was Trip. He didn't earn anything." That could happen on the bridge or in engineering the first time someone disagreed with a decision.

It's nice to read that people here think that Sim couldn't step into Trip's place as a person. :clap: You'd be surprised at the thoughts I've read elsewhere. People are insensitive. Some of them--not all, thankfully--think that Sim should be able to do that because it's only a mattter of a continuation of consciousness. That the perceived representation of their friend should be enough for Trip's friends to salve any feelings of loss. That frightens me from a humanistic perspective. It's belittling (to both individuals) to think of the two of them as interchangeable to a point where it shouldn't matter to Trip's friends. If that's true, then any of us would just cease to exist to our families if a copy of us were available. I'm glad that the writers didn't replace Trip's character for no good reason. All I'd ever be able to think is, "but it's not really him" and I doubt I'm alone. People are more special that that. They should be regarded as more than a computer file whose parts are copied. ;)

Edited by MoulinRouge

No, I prefer the real trip.

An ineresting side thought. Do you think that T'Pol and Sim would have eventually been romantically involved?

Very well stated Moulin, and I agree completely. Sim did not actually complete the academy so how could he even be considered to be a part of the starfleet command structure? The best he could end up being is a NCO (Non Commissioned Officer) in which case he would not have the authority to give orders unless granted by the Captain, which I doubt that Archer would have ever been comfortable with giving him command status. So then he would have lived a miserable life, because he would have the memories of the times Trip was in command and feel shorted because he was not given the same responsibilities. And who is to say that this disappointment would not cause him to jump ship at the first opportunity, leaving the crew in a lurch and since humanity is depending on the Enterprise to save them, dooming the species to extinction.

Another thing to ponder for anyone that think a Clone could replace the actual person.

Pretend for a moment that it is your wife or husband that is cloned then killed. How would you feel about the clone coming in and taking your spouse's place?

^Yes, VaBeachGuy, yes. That's precisely why I found the episode unnerving. It went beyond my affection for a favorite character. I personalized it. Your spouse analogy is perfect. You see, Trip's personality---that is my husband's personality. The wicked sense of humor, the admirable personal strength (my husband is a wonderful leader) and a loyalty to his friends that's unmatched...even the accent because my husband grew up in southeastern Oklahoma. He and I have joked about it more than once. God forbid if he were ever killed (he's a long haul trucker now since he was laid off his job, so that's a possibility I deal with) I would want to bury him, mourn him, but I'd want him to be gone. Seeing a copy of a person in his place (no matter how benevolent the personality) sounds like a Hitchcockian type nightmare to me. ;) I couldn't bear seeing him every day. Seeing my husband's friends accept him would be awful for me. It's not that I didn't sympathize with Sim's fate. I did. But to imply that he and Trip were the same person is also to belittle Sim's sacrifice. What's the big deal if they were interchangeable? Wasn't there a copy of Sim ready to wake up just as there was a copy of Trip ready to take his place? Both men had value. Individual value and worth.

I'm just glad that ENT didn't go there. VERY glad. It would always be in my head.

Edited by MoulinRouge

Moulinrouge, good insights as usual. I too am very glad they didn't replace Trip with Sim and I agree with what everyone else has said about Trip earning his rank. I think a good example of this would also be Data. He went through Star Fleet training and earned his rank even though he could download everything he needed to know in a few seconds. He needed experience - not memories.

The minute Sim said where are my mom and dad it was evident he was a different person with different experiences. Trip didn't grow up on a Starship missing his parents. He didn't learn at an early age he was created to die. Did anyone think Sim could have been bitter and might have wanted to get even at some point? He did seem to have Trip's sense of humor - even in the face of adversity - although Trip hasn't had much of his sense of humor lately. Although I'm thinking back to Shuttlepod one - Trip was determined but I don't remember him cracking a lot of jokes so maybe even that was't really like Trip.