Sign in to follow this  
Harry Mudd

VBG Hurricane update

Hello everybody, I am Kevin's brother. I just wanted to let you know that he currently doesn't have any electricity, and doesn't expect to be up and running for at least a week. Everything is ok, except for the electricity. He had a good time during the storm, and got some good footage on video(Crazy, isn't he lol). He will be back on line once the electricity is back on.

Glad everything's ok. Wonder if we can expect to see a "Tribute to Isabel" in the near future?

*phhheeewwww* I am so glad to hear he is okay :lol: .

I sent him a PM (asking him if everything is okay) and wondered if something happened to him because of no response :blink: , but then I saw in the news that there is no electricity in some regions...

Anyway, it's good to hear he is okay. B)

Mrs. Captain Picard

He had a good time during the storm, and got some good footage on video(Crazy, isn't he lol).

LMAO...that is so like him! Please send our well wishes to him and let him know our thoughts are with him and we're all eager to hear his storm story.

Glad everything's ok.  Wonder if we can expect to see a "Tribute to Isabel" in the near future?

I can just imagine him sitting there trying to decide what the appropriate music would be for a tribute.

Well I made it through the storm and had a blast. I am saddened by the 27 reported deaths caused by the storm but I am greatful that those deaths were not from this area (to my knowledge).

For this area this is kind of how things went.

Thursday 9/18 sometime between 6am and 8am we lost all power, the storm hadn't really started to hit us here yet but the power grid that I get power from is run from North Carolina and they were hit before we were. As I lay in bed I could hear the winds picking up and I knew the storm was going to be here soon, so I rolled over and went back to sleep.

I awoke around 10:30am and got up to look around and see if any excitement had started yet. This was still very early as the storm wasn't supposed to hit us full strength until about 7PM. I went outside and the winds were getting pretty gusty but nothing too bad. I noticed that a tree in the front yard was snaped in two and laying in the street. I also noticed that the privacy fence's gate was blown down and part of the fence was on top of one of my cars (No big deal since the car is on it's last legs anyway). Luckily my clunker was parked in such a way that it was protecting my neighbors Lincoln Town Car otherwise the gate may have been on it (He parked it in my driveway to protect it and his truck from falling tree limbs in his yard).

After a few hours, maybe 12:30pm or 1:00pm I went back out and noticed more of the fence blown down and another tree down. Still nothing too bad at this point.

By 6pm or so the winds were really strong and I counted 4 trees down along with 12 sections of fence. As well as many roofing shingles, I spent most of the day outside in the storm up till about 7pm. I was either out trying to keep things (like the fence) safe (many sections of the fence were completely destroyed and posed a possible hazzard in high winds) or just enjoying the storm. I made several trips up the street to my neighbor (Norm & Jean) to take them food and make sure they were ok. I spend the majority of the day soaking wet from the rain and just enjoying everything.

I sat on my front porch during the highest parts of the storm watching trees fall and shingles fly and at one point someone mentioned that it was getting "Pretty Bad" and my response was "Yes exhillerating isn't it?" and I flashed to ST III with Kirk and the Klingon (His name escapes me) as the planet was destroying itself.

By 9pm or 10Pm the storm was pretty much gone for us here and we were left in the dark with nothing left to do but hook up the generator and watch DS9 DVDs :blink:

The Generator is sputtering in the background even as I type, it's not 100% so I can only run my laptop and I have to connect on the phone lines (28.8) so I won't be able to do a whole lot till power is back in a couple to few days.

Now that I have the laptop running though I will be able to get on a little between now and then though.

Stardate:213721.6

Good to hear that you are ok and there was no major damage VBG.So because of the hurricane you have be reduced to a lowely dial up connection :blink: Since everybody else mentioned it i gotta ask.Will you be making a Tribute to Isabel Video???

Good to hear that you are ok and there was no major damage VBG.So because of the hurricane you have be reduced to a lowely dial up connection :blink: Since everybody else mentioned it i gotta ask.Will you be making a Tribute to Isabel Video???

Possibly, yes. I did get some video footage (For the sole purpose of posting it when I can) so if I could make a video with the right music and if I can get enough footage for it we'll see.

Possibly, yes. I did get some video footage (For the sole purpose of posting it when I can) so if I could make a video with the right music and if I can get enough footage for it we'll see.

Does that mean to say that we will get to see a flying VBG? B)

Glad to hear that nothing was damaged and that you are back on the boards.

On my way to an early service at church (about 6:45 am), I passed a long convoy of white utility trucks, vans, and even a few cars from the state of Alabama headed East on I-40. There is a stretch of I-40 that coincides with I-85. So this caravan was also travelling north on I-85. Of course you can connect to I-95 and other routes to Virgina. They could also be heading to parts of Eastern North Carolina. Help is on the way to someone.

I think I saw more than 20 vehicles, after I finally realized they were all from the same place and tried to pay attention. There were probably more.

I once drove to Tuskeegee, Alabama, and it was a seven+ hour drive. I don't know where in Alabama these folks are from, but certainly they had already been driving for some time.

We only got strong winds and rain in this part of NC. Glad you made it relatively unscathed. Can't quite understand being out in the storm and the taking pictures, though.

So very, very glad to hear you weathered the storm OK VBG. If all you had were trees and a fence to fall, things weren't too bad for you. Just mainly a pain in the a$$ clean-up job. Hopefully you'll get your power back soon! I'm looking forward the the Hurricane Isabel Tribute!

On my way to an early service at church (about 6:45 am), I passed a long convoy of white utility trucks,  vans, and even a few cars from the state of Alabama headed East on I-40.

I think I saw more than 20 vehicles, after I finally realized they were all from the same place and tried to pay attention. There were probably more.

Ahh, the good people of Alabama Power! They were on the move from my area (Lower Alabama) before Isabel hit. We get hit or have near misses so often during hurricane season that whenever someone else gets the storm, they try to get there as soon as possible to help out... repaying the favor when everyone helps us out when we get hit. When Hurricane Frederick got us in 1979, we had power trucks from all over the country (literally) for about 3 weeks.

Well I'm back now, the power came back on Tuesday afternoon but the cable was out till this morning. I have no idea when the phone will be back, they said it may be out till next Tuesday.

Things are slowly getting back to normal here, so now that cable is back I'll be able to access the internet.

:blink: It's great to have you back VBG! Since the last time we talked the news said some tornadoes went through VB, that had me a little concerned but no longer. Welcome home!

:blink: It's great to have you back VBG! Since the last time we talked the news said some tornadoes went through VB, that had me a little concerned but no longer. Welcome home!

No tornados here but after I was able to access the internet the other day (Saturday) we lost the phone lines and they won't be back till maybe Tuesday.

Power came on Tuesday afternoon so we were out of power for 5 1/2 days then Cable came in today so I could finally get online.

Here's a short video from the storm. It's only a minute or so long because the Video camera required electricity (The battery was dead) and the generator wasn't working right. This video was about 4 or 5 hours before the worst of the storm actually hit us.

Isabel

Here's the direct RM file for anyone that can't get the RAM file to work:

http://www.startrekfans.net/isabel/hur_isa1.rm

I have another video I am making (No, not a tribute lol) it shows a little more of the damage done here. I'll upload it when I get the RM file made.

Very nice front yard VBG, nice neighborhood to, did your neighbors pool survive? … What cha got there, a black Lincoln town car! … I could hear your generator gasping away. That tree falling right then was freaky! Jem got a kick out of hearing your voice. You also have a black Dodge Ram?!?! :blink: