Sign in to follow this  
Corina Arazius

Any fans of the original BSG?

Okay so this is for people who like the ORIGINAL Battlestar Galactica, are there any fans here? I am and would like to start a discussion perhaps. If you are just a fan of the new series and want to say how lame and cheesy the original is then make your own topic. I don't want to hear about it and please tell me how a show that had 1 million to spend per episode could possibly be lame or cheesy. Maybe you should try actually watching it before you say anything. Okay, rant's over....

I was a big fan of the original run and tried to watch every week when possible, to be honest though I've never even seen a single episode of the new show.

Oh good! I wouldn't recommend wasting your time. So anyway, who was your favorite character? I like Starbuck and Apollo of course but Adama is really cool. :elephant:

It's been so many years since I've seen the original series but I always liked Starbuck. Back then I just thought he was cool. He was the Fonzie of outer space lol

I thought Lorne Green played Adama very well. That's one reason I wasn't really interested in the new series, the original actors played their parts well and seeing new actors play them just wouldn't fit.

I really enjoyed the original BSG. I particularly enjoyed Lorne Green as Adama, Terry Carter as Col. Tigh and John Colicos as Baltar. There were also some interesting guests including Lloyd Bridges, Lew Ayres, Britt Ekland, Paul Fix, Patrick Macnee, Brock Peters, Jane Seymour and Rick Springfield to name some of my faves and some with Trek connections.

please tell me how a show that had 1 million to spend per episode could possibly be lame or cheesy.

I don't know, the first few seasons of TNG managed to do that.

The original Battlestar Galactica WAS TOO lame and cheesy, but then pretty much every show back then was. (Especially Mork and Mindy.) But I still liked it.

And I would much rather look at Starbuck with breasts than Starbuck without breasts.

I watched the original series ages ago and recently got the complete BSG boxset.Loved Starbuck and was not pleased at all when they made him female in the new one. Thats one of the reasons I don't watch the new one I have never watched a episode of it.

I'm a huge fan of the original series. I own the dvd box set as well. I've caught a few episodes of the new series but I think its pretty boring. As other people mentioned, Lorne Greene was great as Adama. I also enjoyed John Colicos as Baltar.

Thats one of the reasons I don't watch the new one I have never watched a episode of it.

That was actually one of the reasons I didn't even check out the new series too. It'd be like remaking Star Trek and casting a woman to play Spock or Bones.

I used to watch the original BSG when it was on the scifi channel in reruns when I was growing up, when I got the chance. I really enjoyed it. I have seen one or two episodes of the new one but find it boring, and I agree that making Starbuck a female is not something that I approved of.

I watched the original when it was on but my heart always belonged to Trek so I never got heavily into it. I liked sci-fi and it was so sci-fi so I watched it. Today I feel the same way about it as I feel about, say... Buck Rogers in the 24th Century. I was happy to have it to watch back then and I might watch a rerun if I happen to run across it airing but I would not want to go out and buy the DVDs.

Yeah I don't see why they had to make some of the men into women it just seems perverse, especially in Starbuck's case. Why would you want to take a handsome guy and make him into an ugly woman? lol Another thing I noticed and I'm surprised people haven't been really offended by it is that there are no black characters in the new series, they had to change them too for some reason.

Anyway, yeah I like Baltar too I think I'll have a hard time seeing him as a Klingon now when I watch Star Trek though. Lol in one episode he's serving soup or something to other prisoners and he has on his gloves and everything lol it just looks weird.

Ok this thread wasn't supposed to be about the new one but if you're going to use it as a place to bash it then don't be surprised if fans of the new one post disagreements.

I disagree. It is a mighty better show than the original was. Having SB be a female adds TONS of drama to the series you haven't even given yourself a chance at experiencing because of a hangup ruling your mind.

Perhaps you need to take your own advice and give it fair chance without prejudice clouding your judgment.

Geez, calm down Alterego, if you don't like my thread than don't post in it. And I have watched some of the new series, if I hadn't I wouldn't have any reason to dislike it now would I?

I am a big fan of the original series, it had drama, comedy, action and human interest. I even had Boxey and the daggit as a draw for the kids to watch.

Many people say that it was cheesy and it wasn't, you have to remember when it was made, television standards and rules for violence and sex were far more stringent then than they are today.

Back then CGI for effects was in a dream they had, look at TRON and The Last Starfighter a few years later they were the beginning of CGI. Battlestar's effects were state of the art then.

The show had a morality base because of Glen Larson's Mormon religion.

I think the show still stands as one of the best pieces of television science fiction ever made.

I am a big fan of the original series, it had drama, comedy, action and human interest. I even had Boxey and the daggit as a draw for the kids to watch.

Many people say that it was cheesy and it wasn't, you have to remember when it was made, television standards and rules for violence and sex were far more stringent then than they are today.

Back then CGI for effects was in a dream they had, look at TRON and The Last Starfighter a few years later they were the beginning of CGI. Battlestar's effects were state of the art then.

The show had a morality base because of Glen Larson's Mormon religion.

I think the show still stands as one of the best pieces of television science fiction ever made.

Very well said! It was very moral and clean cut and so were the characters, I guess that's one of the reasons I like it. I suppose some people might think it's cheesy because of that and because it's not realistic, but come on, it's Sci-Fi how realistic do you expect it to be? If I want someone to look up to as a role model or hero why would I want them to have a bunch of problems. I think Lorne Greene's Adama is a great role model. He's a good leader he cares about the people he's leading and he's really smart and cool lol.

Personally I think it's racist how they changed Colonel Tigh from a black dude into some crusty old white guy with a silly-looking eyepatch and a drinking problem. I mean...WTF?!? The old one was much more interesting. Not to mention changing Boomer into yet another ugly woman. What's with the sex changes and the total absense of African-Americans from new BSG?

I also don't understand how Classic BSG is constantly berated for being "cheesy" and "lame" (which it was not), but other shows like "Knight Rider" or "MacGyver" or even "The A-Team" get more cred than old BSG did. BSG was no more cheesy or lame than Star Wars or Star Trek, and nobody has a problem with those genres.

Although we're not supposed to talk about that "other " series, if it had been called BSG alternate universe, I think people would not have been so upset over the major changes.

I'm surprised people haven't been really offended by it is that there are no black characters in the new series, they had to change them too for some reason.

There is a notable absence of black characters. (We can't call them African American characters since they haven't discovered Africa or America yet.) However, it isn't accurate to say they don't exist. Petty Officer Duala was black and there was also a black Viper pilot in a few episodes. I forget his name but he was that one who escaped from the Cylons after the attack on the colonies.

Personally I think it's racist how they changed Colonel Tigh from a black dude into some crusty old white guy with a silly-looking eyepatch and a drinking problem.

You would prefer some crusty old black dude with a silly-looking eyepatch and a drinking problem? Oh, yeah, you forgot the part about him being a Cylon too.

Personally I think the new Tigh has more character depth than the old Tigh. Sure if the attack hadn't happened he would have been washed out, but that is part of what makes him interesting. Everyone has their demons to overcome, nobody is perfect. The old BSG characters were too whitewashed (parden the term) and Tigh was simply a yes-man.

I also don't understand how Classic BSG is constantly berated for being "cheesy" and "lame" (which it was not), but other shows like "Knight Rider" or "MacGyver" or even "The A-Team" get more cred than old BSG did. BSG was no more cheesy or lame than Star Wars or Star Trek, and nobody has a problem with those genres.

I think it's just a younger generation that might think it's cheesy. People born after 1980 or even 1984 have only known movies with good special effects. By "good" I mean computer generated. They didn't grow up watching some of the shows that were limited to what they could physically do so when they see them today they try to comapre it with what's possible now.

I like the original better than the new one but it was cheesy and fun and enjoyable . In my humble opinion that is what good intertainment is about

You would prefer some crusty old black dude with a silly-looking eyepatch and a drinking problem?

Where'd you get that from? No, anyone else would have thought it obvious that if I say I don't like the new one, then that means I like the original, interesting, clean-cut, BLACK Tigh, who was actually believable as a high-ranking military official.

Everyone has their demons to overcome, nobody is perfect. The old BSG characters were too whitewashed (parden the term) and Tigh was simply a yes-man.

Yeah, but "overcoming personal demons" is a pretty boring topic unless it's done right, and a science-fiction adventure show is NOT the place for it. I know it's a fad right now that everyone is doing just to look cool and "cutting-edge" (even though it's nothing new and EVERYONE DOES IT), but it doesn't make for interesting TV. The old characters had their own problems, they were just better able to deal with them and not only move on to more important things, but look beyond their own petty selves to see the whole picture and take everyone else's well-being into consideration. There's a few words for that - mainly, "professionalism" and/or "maturity." Those are pretty important traits to have when you're in any organization, much less a military, and being a "yes-man" is usually part of that.

Call them "white-washed," but I liked that about the original characters. They were more believable, they were honest-to-goodness "good guys" (no prisoner-rape in Classic BSG), and because they were adult enough to get past their own problems, the show could move on to more interesting, space-adventure related stories instead of dealing with boring "personal issues." If I want to see characters dealing with "personal issues" I'll watch *poopie* like 90210 or the OC.

The new series is nothing more than a glorified soap-opera with immature characters and cheesy aspects of its own.

Also...it's spelled "pardon," not "parden." Just FYI.

Edited by TOS Purist

Personally I think it's racist how they changed Colonel Tigh from a black dude into some crusty old white guy with a silly-looking eyepatch and a drinking problem.

You would prefer some crusty old black dude with a silly-looking eyepatch and a drinking problem? Oh, yeah, you forgot the part about him being a Cylon too.

Personally I think the new Tigh has more character depth than the old Tigh. Sure if the attack hadn't happened he would have been washed out, but that is part of what makes him interesting. Everyone has their demons to overcome, nobody is perfect. The old BSG characters were too whitewashed (parden the term) and Tigh was simply a yes-man.

Well like I said above if I want a role model why would I look up to someone who has problems. I'd rather look up to someone who is "whitewashed" as you say because I may not be as clean cut as they are but as long as I'm trying I'll be better than someone looking up to someone like the new Tigh. Yeah some people might have their demons but there are other people who don't. So there's no reason why we should accomodate and condone the others. If I wanted to hear about that kind of feldergarb I'd read some bum's personal journal.

When did role-models come into this? If you want a role model then go watch Leave it to Beaver or Father Knows Best or The Brady Bunch or even The Cosby Show or, heck, even Star Trek. Then come on over and watch the new BSG.

It ain't pretty. It's not supposed to be.

When did role-models come into this? If you want a role model then go watch Leave it to Beaver or Father Knows Best or The Brady Bunch or even The Cosby Show or, heck, even Star Trek. Then come on over and watch the new BSG.

That's exactly why I loath it. If you want to talk about how wonderful the new series is than start your own topic but like I said in the begining I don't want to hear it. If not I will report you to the admins, I find you annoying.

Then come on over and watch the new BSG.

Yeah, I've already tried that, and it let's just say that I'd prefer gouging my eyes out with my thumb which I had bitten off with my own teeth before I repeat that experience. What a waste of centons!

That's exactly why I loath it. If you want to talk about how wonderful the new series is than start your own topic but like I said in the begining I don't want to hear it. If not I will report you to the admins, I find you annoying.

Another card carrying member of the Van Roy fan club.......... :sweatdrop: