Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Parent Of The Week

Grand jury indicts woman accused of using daughter as prostitute

Click-2-Listen

By Lou Grieco

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

DAYTON — A woman accused of using her daughter as a prostitute was indicted on two charges Wednesday, May 14.

Rachel Lakes, also known as Rachel White, faces a felony count of compelling prostitution and a misdemeanor count of endangering children.

The grand jury also indicted Michael Anthony Melvin, 41, who was arrested with White, on one count of compelling prostitution.

According to the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office, vice officers working in Harrison Twp. got tips that a woman had started using her minor daughter in prostitution at local hotels. Undercover officers went to a hotel on North Dixie Drive at East Siebenthaler Avenue on April 21 and arrested Melvin and Lakes.

Lakes' daughter, who was not named, was placed in the custody of the Children Services Division of Montgomery County Department of Jobs and Family Services.

:laugh:

Edited by Kor37

Woman sentenced for having son dress up as Scout

AP

Posted: 2008-05-16 15:43:35

EASTON, Pa. (AP) - A former Bethlehem woman will serve up to 23 months in prison for having her 7-year-old son dress as a Cub Scout to collect money for a nonexistent cause.

Sally Ann Gombocz, 51, told a Northampton County judge she wanted to apologize to anyone she hurt. She previously pleaded guilty to theft by deception and corruption of a minor.

Gombocz had her son dress as a scout in 2003 and tell people he was raising money for a camping trip. A prosecutor says the family collected $69.

Gombocz was sentenced Friday to six to 23 months in the county jail. She also was fined $2,000, ordered to perform community service, take parenting classes, have psychological counseling and submit to random urine screens. She also must pay restitution.

AP

EASTON, Pa. (AP) - A former Bethlehem woman will serve up to 23 months in prison for having her 7-year-old son dress as a Cub Scout to collect money for a nonexistent cause.

Sally Ann Gombocz, 51, told a Northampton County judge she wanted to apologize to anyone she hurt. She previously pleaded guilty to theft by deception and corruption of a minor.

Gombocz had her son dress as a scout in 2003 and tell people he was raising money for a camping trip. A prosecutor says the family collected $69.

Gombocz was sentenced Friday to six to 23 months in the county jail. She also was fined $2,000, ordered to perform community service, take parenting classes, have psychological counseling and submit to random urine screens. She also must pay restitution.

While there's no question that what she did was wrong - it seems she's getting a harsher sentence than people that beat or neglect their kids.

AP

While there's no question that what she did was wrong - it seems she's getting a harsher sentence than people that beat or neglect their kids.

Good point, TUH. I didn't even notice that! Pretty harsh.

German parents post baby on eBay for 1 euro

BERLIN - Authorities in southern Germany said Saturday they have taken custody of a 7-month-old boy after his parents posted an ad on eBay offering to sell him for one euro, the equivalent of $1.57.

Peter Hieber, a spokesman for police in the Bavarian town of Krumbach, said the baby was placed in the care of youth services in the southwestern Allgaeu region, although the child's 23-year-old mother insisted the ad was only a joke.

Authorities have launched an investigation into possible child trafficking against the baby's mother and 24-year-old father, neither of whom was identified.

"Offering my nearly new baby for sale, as it has gotten too loud. It is a male baby, nearly 28 inches (70 cm) long and can be used either in a baby carrier or a stroller," police quoted the ad as reading.

No offers were made for the child in the two hours and 30 minutes the ad was posted on Tuesday. EBay later deleted the posting, but assisted police in tracking down the parents.

Several people who saw the ad alerted police.

Man picking wild asparagus accused of leaving kids in car

AP

Posted: 2008-06-06 10:12:04

SPENCER, Iowa (AP) - A northwest Iowa man accused of leaving two children in his car while he picked wild asparagus along a busy highway in Spencer has been charged with child endangerment.

The Clay County sheriff's office says Mark Nellis, of Melvin, was arrested Wednesday night after a passer-by spotted the children.

Authorities say Nellis' 5-year-old niece was outside the car crying when the passer-by stopped to help. Nellis' 2-year-old son was asleep in the back seat.

Officials say Nellis was picking asparagus in a ditch and was "a great distance" from the children. After searching his vehicle, authorities say they found marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

Nellis, who also was charged with drug possession, was released from the county jail after posting bond.

:biggrin:

Parents of girl brought up on vegan diet may face charges

by Bethany Sanders Jun 10th 2008 10:00AM

Categories: Health & safety, Eating & nutrition, Medical conditions, In the news, Environment

Parents of a 12-year-old Scottish girl may face charges after the child was brought to the hospital with a degenerative bone disease. Doctors say that she has the spine of an 80-year-old, caused by a severe case of rickets, which occurs when a person does not get enough vitamin D. In addition to her curved spine, she also has had several broken bones.

Though doctors are not yet commenting on the case, some feel that her condition was caused by the strict vegan diet she was raised on since birth. Vegan diets don't allow meat, fish, or dairy, which are good sources of vitamin D (as is the sun).

Last year, a couple was sentenced to life in prison for letting their newborn starve on what they perceived to be a vegan diet. Since then, the question has been asked again and again: Are vegan diets safe for kids? The trend has nutritionists concerned, that's for sure.

In our own home, we've toyed with vegetarianism several times, but we've never, ever restricted what our kids ate. It takes a lot of research, thought, and meal planning to get the correct balance of nutrients on a vegan diet, not just a strong desire to avoid animal products.

Kids have different nutritional needs than adults, so to feed them properly on a restricted diet, you really have to know your stuff. If I was going to go that route (and I'm not), I'd even go so far as to talk to a nutritionist first. Sadly, however, cases like the ones in this article, where parents let their enthusiasm for their beliefs get ahead of good nutrition, keep popping up.

:cloud9:

I hope they remove the child from their custody and they never get to see her again (after they get out of jail of course - what is the penalty for destroying your child's health?).

Boy lights fireworks with cigarette; dad arrested

AP

Posted: 2008-07-08 11:40:57

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) - A Council Bluffs man has been charged with child endangerment after he allegedly let his son light fireworks with a cigarette.

According to police, an officer saw an 8-year-old boy lighting fireworks in an alley Saturday night. He noticed the child was using a cigarette.

Police say the boy's father, Lewis Coleman, told the officer he gave his son the cigarette because he couldn't get a lighter to work and didn't have a punk, a special wick for lighting fireworks.

Coleman was arrested for child endangerment, because his child was left unsupervised with a lit cigarette and fireworks, and possession of fireworks. Coleman was taken to the Pottawattamie County jail and released later Saturday when he posted $2,000 bond. It wasn't clear whether he has hired an attorney.

The child was released to his mother.

Pizza Girl Robbed by Dad and Husband and Sweet Ol' Ma

Jul 18th 2008

By Anthony Layser

WeirdNews

Everyone's parents have held up their night, but we're guessing very few have had their folks hold them up at their place of work.

That's exactly what happened to a clerk who was completely unaware that she was being robbed by her parents and husband at the Pizza Patron in Denton, Texas. In fact, Stephanie Martinez claims she had no idea her family was sticking up the joint until a coworker punched her father, Benjamin Ramirez, displacing the wig he was wearing as a disguise.

Benjamin was knocked out in the scuffle, but he eventually regained consciousness and fled with the pizza girl's mother and husband, who were also involved in the robbery. Police were able to apprehend the trio soon after the incident.

Authorities believe Stephanie Martinez had no knowledge of her family's plan, which seems to indicate the clan has some serious communication issues.

UNBELIEVABLE!......... :superhappy:

Dad chooses Batman over son

by Jennifer Jordan Jul 22nd 2008 11:00AM

File this in the list of the stupidest things people do, you know, that list that makes you wonder how it's possible for some loser to be a parent when there are so many great people out there who can't have kids? Some jerk decided it was a good idea to leave his son in the parking lot in the car while he went in and saw The Dark Knight, the latest Batman installment.

Oh, yes he did. David Farnham, candidate for father of the year, left his two-year-old son alone in a locked car while he took in the more than two hour movie. Naturally people who were actually concerned about the boy's wellbeing noticed him crying and sent for help from the police. When the boy was retrieved he was dehydrated and scared but otherwise in relatively good condition.

:blink:

File this in the list of the stupidest things people do, you know, that list that makes you wonder how it's possible for some loser to be a parent when there are so many great people out there who can't have kids? Some jerk decided it was a good idea to leave his son in the parking lot in the car while he went in and saw The Dark Knight, the latest Batman installment.

Oh, yes he did. David Farnham, candidate for father of the year, left his two-year-old son alone in a locked car while he took in the more than two hour movie. Naturally people who were actually concerned about the boy's wellbeing noticed him crying and sent for help from the police. When the boy was retrieved he was dehydrated and scared but otherwise in relatively good condition.

:blink:

This thread is hard to read sometimes.

Parents Forget 3-Year-Old at AirportAPposted: 2 HOURS 27 MINUTES AGOcomments: 214PrintSharefiled under: Travel News, Weird News, World NewsText SizeAAAJERUSALEM (Aug. 4) - Israeli airport police say a couple going on a European vacation remembered to bring their duty-free shopping and their 18 suitcases, but forgot their 3-year-old daughter at the airport.

The couple and their five children were late for a flight to Paris Sunday and made a mad dash to the gate. In the confusion, their daughter got lost. A policeman found her wandering around the terminal, crying for her mother.

Israeli media report Monday that the ultra-Orthodox Jewish parents, whose names were not released, didn't notice the child was missing until they were told, in the air, that she had been found at Ben-Gurion airport.

The child, accompanied by an airline staffer, took the next flight to Paris where she was safely reunited with her parents.

Un-freakin-believable!....... :whistling:

Parents Forget 3-Year-Old at AirportAPposted: 2 HOURS 27 MINUTES AGOcomments: 214PrintSharefiled under: Travel News, Weird News, World NewsText SizeAAAJERUSALEM (Aug. 4) - Israeli airport police say a couple going on a European vacation remembered to bring their duty-free shopping and their 18 suitcases, but forgot their 3-year-old daughter at the airport.

The couple and their five children were late for a flight to Paris Sunday and made a mad dash to the gate. In the confusion, their daughter got lost. A policeman found her wandering around the terminal, crying for her mother.

Israeli media report Monday that the ultra-Orthodox Jewish parents, whose names were not released, didn't notice the child was missing until they were told, in the air, that she had been found at Ben-Gurion airport.

The child, accompanied by an airline staffer, took the next flight to Paris where she was safely reunited with her parents.

Un-freakin-believable!....... :whistling:

At a very busy airport with all the bags and that many children I can see it happening. I have a feeling they used the buddy system where one child is with another when they boarded and sat in their seats. International flights are always crowed and completely booked. At least for me, when I station in Japan when I flew back and forth there and the states. Since airlines really can't book large families together the children where in different seats all over the plane. The parents would not have noticed until they where allowed to move about in the cabin. Somehow I would still try to do a head count before boarding the plane if there was time to do it. Once on the plane it would have almost impossible to do a head count with large number of people in cabin trying to settle in for the flight.

Edited by Odie

:whistling:

It's funny as a parent sometimes unfortunately you just can't go to the movies. I wanted to see the new X-Files movie with my spouse recently, but its not a kid's movie and all drama of getting sitters, expense for sitters/tickets/concessions and whatnot I ended up deciding 'Hey you know what? Its just not worth all the drama.' I'll just buy the movie on DVD in a few months for less that what it you have cost to go out anyhow and I'll watch it whenever I want.

:whistling:

And of course I've also met parents that love horror movies and just decide to take their 1-7 year old in with them to see the latest slasher flick and swear there is nothing wrong with the practice. That's almost as bad as locking them in the car.

Edited by DaboGirl

At a very busy airport with all the bags and that many children I can see it happening. I have a feeling they used the buddy system where one child is with another when they boarded and sat in their seats. International flights are always crowed and completely booked. At least for me, when I station in Japan when I flew back and forth there and the states. Since airlines really can't book large families together the children where in different seats all over the plane. The parents would not have noticed until they where allowed to move about in the cabin. Somehow I would still try to do a head count before boarding the plane if there was time to do it. Once on the plane it would have almost impossible to do a head count with large number of people in cabin trying to settle in for the flight.

Agreed completely. There's bad parenting and then there's mistakes. Anybody who says they've never let their child slip out of sight is simply a liar.

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (AP) -- Mary Winkler, the woman convicted of voluntary manslaughter in the 2006 shooting death of her minister husband, has taken custody of her three daughters, one of her lawyers said Monday.

Rachael Putnam, a custody attorney, said the former minister's wife picked the girls up Friday from the slain man's parents, Dan and Diane Winkler.

"She is absolutely overjoyed," Putnam said. The lawyer said the children will live with Winkler at her home near McMinnville, about 60 miles southeast of Nashville.

Winkler, 34, was convicted of voluntary manslaughter last year for shooting her husband, 31-year-old Church of Christ minister Matthew Winkler, at their Selmer home in March 2006.

Sentenced to three years in prison, she received probation for most of it, spending only 12 days in jail after her sentencing and two months in a mental health facility before being released.

The children -- ages 11, 9 and 3 -- had previously been living with their grandparents and had court-ordered visits with their mother.

"It should be seen as a sign that the family is healing," Putnam said of the custody arrangement. "It's a good thing for everyone."

Putnam said a court order giving Winkler custody has not been completed, but she said the custody case between the grandparents and Winkler will eventually be concluded.

An attorney representing Dan and Diane Winkler did not immediately return a call for comment Monday.

The arrangement was reached in time for the girls to start the school year with their mother, Putnam said, and they will continue to have visits with their grandparents.

The grandparents had tried to stop the supervised visits with Winkler, but the state's Court of Appeals upheld the order by a county judge. The Tennessee Supreme Court also rejected the grandparents' appeal.

Winkler was tried for murder after her husband was found slain by shotgun blast to the back, but a jury found her guilty of voluntary manslaughter after she testified about suffering from years of physical and emotional abuse by her husband

I truly feel sorry for the grandparents - knowing your grandchildren are being raised by the person who killed your son - that has to destroy your faith in the American legal system.

Pregnant burglars leave toddler at scene of crime

by Bethany Sanders Aug 9th 2008 10:00AM

Most parents try to protect their children from criminal activity, but in a brazen attempt to burglarize an apartment while its tenants were still at home, two pregnant women put one of the women's toddlers right in the middle of the crime... and then abandoned him.

A 20-year-old woman and a pregnant teen climbed into the bedroom window of an apartment, with the two-year-old in tow. When the apartment's residents confronted the women, they fled, leaving the child behind. The women are now being charged with robbery and larceny, but the 20-year-old mother will face child abuse charges as well.

For the sake of this poor little boy, as well as the sibling that will be born in a few months, I hope these moms find the help they need to get back on track. Two-year-olds belong on a swing set, not a crime scene.

:)

For the sake of this poor little boy, as well as the sibling that will be born in a few months, I hope these moms find the help they need to get back on track. Two-year-olds belong on a swing set, not a crime scene.

Actually, the best thing for the babies would be if the sorry *butt* ed mother placed them for adoption before they are too old.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Texas police say 12-year-old girl drove mom to bar AP

-A 35-year-old Texas woman has been jailed after police say she made her 12-year-old daughter drive her to a bar.

Police in Longview say they watched a minivan turn into a driveway without signaling on Wednesday and bump into a home at a low speed. They say the car was driven by Jennifer Lynn Rosenberg's daughter.

Police say the girl told an officer she had just dropped her mother off at a bar. They say they found Rosenburg at the bar and that she admitted having her daughter drive her there.

Rosenburg remains in the Gregg County Jail on a $2,500 bond. A jail official declined to say whether she had an attorney.

A spokeswoman for Child Protective Services told the Longview News-Journal that the agency is investigating.

I guess she didn't want to drink and drive.......... :superhappy: