When I think of my favourite actors I often think of the likes of John Mills, Laurence Olivier, Alec Guinness and Jack Hawkins. But all of these men hail from England. So I recently began thinking about who is my favourite American actor.

Several names came up such as John Wayne, Jack Nicholson and Orson Welles. I finally decided on James Stewart for sheer acting ability.

What do you think?

My favorite actors and actresses are:

Patrick Stewart - (great movies + represents STAR TREK)

Michael Shanks - (represents STARGATE)

Arnold Swarzt-whatever

Mel Gibson

Tom Cruise

Jackie Chan

Jullia Roberts

I think that covers it. :unsure:

Patrick Stewart is a great actor, however he isn't a US actor. So I gotta go with, hmmm, maybe Tom Hanks (since my first answer wasn't good enough for you).

Sorry, just thought I best point out that this topic is to discuss the BEST US actor and not your favourite actor. I realise that these are usually the same but I just wanted to point out that it is the ability of actors that is being assessed.

CJLP,

Michael Shanks is Canadian and I don't know if Patrick Stewart is an American citizen or not - same for Jackie Chan.

I don't think a lot of American actors get to really act because too much emphasis on special effects and not enough plot. (edited out goof - he was Canadian too.)

All time favorite James Cagney - although the style of acting was very different in early Hollywood - a little melodramatic by today's standards. He could hoof it with the best of them in a musical or be the ultimate tough guy.

Some decent contemporary actors:

Kevin Spacey, Jeff Bridges, Sam Waterston

There are a some really good American actors such as Tom Hanks, Stalone, Harison Ford, John Wayne, the list can go on for a while so I'll stop there.

If Mel Gibson is America, which I'm pretty sure he is, then Mel Gibson. :unsure:

Mel Gibson was born in the US but moved to Australia when he was 13 years old.

I love older films.They didn't have great FX,but man were those stories written well!I like Vincent Price,Peter Cushing,Christopher Lee,George C. Scott,Gregory Peck,so many others.Bing Crosby,Gene Kelly.Then you have all the terrific actresses.There are just too many for me to list.I don't really know too many of the younger actors around today.I like some of the ones I grew up watching,who were about my own age like Christian Slater,Meredith Salinger,Corey Feldman,and Sean Astin.But mostly,I love the classics. :unsure:

Hmmm. Best American Actor. That's a tough question to try to answer, the answer really is a subjective one. I think you have to kind of break it up into era's. From the Early era I would say that James Cagney, Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne are real front runners for the honor and personally I think movies of the 30's, 40's and 50's were much better then modern movies. Simply because the movies back then depended on actual acting talent rather then special effects, foul language, nudity and editing.

I think that from the "modern era" Tom Hanks and Harrison Ford have to rank very highly on the list and in fact I would include them on a list of all actors from all era's.

So I can't really say who I think is the "best" but I think the list above includes the best of the best.

I'm not a big fan of old movies from the 30s - 50s. I find the acting torturous to watch in many of them. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but .... Jimmy Stewart in "The Spirit of '76" makes me feel like biting on tinfoil.

Fave American actors:

Tom Hanks

Tom Cruise (yes there's been a lot of schlock out of him, but he's done some really good stuff too!)

Kevin Spacey

Morgan Freeman

Johnny Depp - Edward Scissorhands aside, Donnie Brasco to Pirates of the Caribbean - this guy's got some range!

Leonardo DiCaprio - Catch Me if You Can and Gangs of New York are great movies. I bet he wishes he'd never done Titanic.

Fave actresses:

I'm drawing a blank on Americans. Everyone I am thinking of is British!

Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, Vivien Leigh

I think Rod Steiger was a great character actor. Two other great actors are Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman. Next I'd list Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks.

Among actresses: Meryl Streep is great. I also think Julia Roberts is a very good actress.

I think Gary Sinise is a decent actor - he's make a couple of poor choices lately (that Mars movie and Imposter?) but he's done some good work.

Timothy Hutton is also a good actor who has done a few "have to pay the mortgage" roles like The General's Daughter but also has some good work.

When I think of my favourite actors I often think of the likes of John Mills, Laurence Olivier, Alec Guinness and Jack Hawkins. But all of these men hail from England. So I recently began thinking about who is my favourite American actor.

Several names came up such as John Wayne, Jack Nicholson and Orson Welles. I finally decided on James Stewart for sheer acting ability.

What do you think?

61345[/snapback]

Tough call. I always liked Jack Lemon and Al Pacino. I think the current best actor we have is probably Johnny Depp. What other actor could convincingly portray Ed Wood, Willy Wonka, Hunter S. Thompson, an Englishman (From Hell), Buster Keaton (Benny & Joon), a pirate, and a lunatic (Don Juan DeMarco) while holding his own against Marlon Brando? After Depp I'd probably go with Sean Penn. His work in The Assassination of Richard Nixon and in Oliver Stone's U-Turn are both amazing performances. 21 Grams was also an exceptional film in my opinion.

2. Gary Oldman

He is English as well :tribble:

Hmmm..Harrison ford is one of the best and mabe Robin williams as well.

If actor can mean actoress too than Katherine Hepburn hands down. If ust means male actor Than John Wayne is my favorite but I think Spencer Tracy, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, and I can not spell his name. He stared with in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner with Spencer and katherine, (Sidney Poitier) hope you know who it is.

I'm trying to think of an actor whose performance actually left me with a "wow" feeling. Most of the ones that come to mind aren't American. :tribble:

I will say my opionion of Johnny Depp has changed, wasn't always a big fan but I really liked Neverland - where he was a proper English gentleman and of course I loved Pirates.

I also liked DiCaprio in a couple of movies as well.

As for television - I think one of the most under appreciated performances was by David Marciano as the wise cracking Chicago cop in Due South.

And let's nor forget Neal McDonough

Tony Todd.

An incredibly gifted actor capable of performing a wide range of roles,and performing them well.

Others I like....

Jack Nicholson

Morgan Freeman

Danny Glover

Laurence Fishburn

Emilio Estevez

Patricia Tallman

Holly Hunter

Oprah Winfrey