Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

35 Years ago today We celebrated one small step.

ap11.jpg

On July 20th 1969 Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to actually land on another 'world', open the hatch and step outside. Neil Armstrong was the first human to set foot on the moon, but Buzz Aldrin was actually the first person to speak from the moon. Those first words spoken while in contact with the moon were simple, un-historic and strictly meant for Neil Armstrong's use and for NASA as well. They were "Contact Light", which was to announce to Neil and NASA that the lunar module had touched the surface and signal Armstrong to shut the engine down.

Today marks the 34th anniversary of that day when the Lunar Module came to rest on the Sea Of Tranquility and 4 hours later Neil and Buzz made their historic walk in the sun.

Cool, thanks VBG for the tribute and thanks for remembering. Sometimes it makes me sad that we have these people (astronauts and their support teams) accomplishing these really amazing feats and they barely get a nod from the public. Yet the public turns around and treats movie stars and athletes like heroes.

Cool, thanks VBG for the tribute and thanks for remembering.  Sometimes it makes me sad that we have these people (astronauts and their support teams) accomplishing these really amazing feats and they barely get a nod from the public.  Yet the public turns around and treats movie stars and athletes like heroes.

I have thought for years that we need a national monument on the Mall in Washington DC for the Apollo program. Something like a Life sized Lunar Module with an Astronaut out exploring about 10 feet away and another one climbing doen the ladder to join him.

For some reason, I remember that night. I also remember the take off. I think a lot of people were glued to their TVs watching the event. The sad thing is that the missions afterward did not get much attention. I just saw the movie, "Apollo 13. Nobody paid any attention to the mission until disaster struck. It was sad that the astronauts of that mission did not make it to the moon.

Nowadays the space program is mainly about satelites. It is great for the comunication business but sad for anybody who is really interested in the exploration of space.

True, I am not old enough to remember the events first hand, but I am thrilled that you posted about the anniversary of the Lunar Landing! This is awesome VBG! :clap:

This is one of those moments in history that we should never forget and that we should look at to thrive to expand our understanding & exploration of our universe.

And I fully agree VaBeachGuy we should have national monument on the Mall in DC

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I remember that day well,I was 13 years old and me and my family were all gathered in the living room watching the history unfold before our very eyes.It was a very moving moment for us all. I wish they had continued with more missions to the moon but the budget cuts to NASA stopped them from continuing.

Hopefully we will return to the moon and I hope I'm still around to see the first Mars mission!

I, too, remember that day well. I was glued to the TV and nothing could pull me away. I hung on every image, every sound, every word uttered. Even as a child, I knew I was watching history unfold.

Thanks VBG for the tribute. Its great!

I, too, remember that day well. I was glued to the TV and nothing could pull me away. I hung on every image, every sound, every word uttered. Even as a child, I knew I was watching history unfold.

Thanks VBG for the tribute. Its great!

I think it was Lollypop that mentioned the poor camera quality, I really do wish they had a good color camera with them. If I recall correctly the color camera broke shortly before launch or something like that. I'll have to look into that again.

Cool, thanks VBG for the tribute and thanks for remembering.  Sometimes it makes me sad that we have these people (astronauts and their support teams) accomplishing these really amazing feats and they barely get a nod from the public.  Yet the public turns around and treats movie stars and athletes like heroes.

I've noticed that at conventions. The "STARS" get all the attention while a real astronaut is stuck off in a corner somewhere. And i have been as guilty as anyone. I am gaining a new respect for these real heros.

I've noticed that at conventions. The "STARS" get all the attention while a real astronaut is stuck off in a corner somewhere. And i have been as guilty as anyone. I am gaining a new respect for these real heros.

If I were ever at a convention and John Young or Buzz Aldrin or any of the other living moon walkers were in the room I wouldn't spend my time with a hollywood star. I'd be talking (trying to anyway) to the moon walker. That would be an awesome experience just to meet one of them, for me anyway.

I wasnt even born! (12/12/86)..... :o :lol:

i think we need a new landing, maybe mars....but leave the warp barrier for me! (the next generation!)

:blink:

Aha now i understand why on tv last night there where a few programs all about the moon landings,i watched one called..NASA MOONS AMERICA...very intresting all about how NASA faked the whole thing,i dont belive they faked it but there where some intresting points being made about certain things that did not add up.

I myself dont think we ever landed on the moon. Theres just to much evidence showing it was faked. But thats just my opinion.

I myself dont think we ever landed on the moon. Theres just to much evidence showing it was faked. But thats just my opinion.

The Apollo 15 landing site was photographed just a couple of years ago.

WASHINGTON – Put aside those absurd claims the Apollo Moon landings were a hoax. Two scientists pouring over photos taken by a lunar orbiting spacecraft have eyed evidence of a touchdown.

New research led by Misha Kreslavsky, a space scientist in the department of geological sciences at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, has found anomalies in the Moon’s surface in the vicinity of the Apollo 15 landing site.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/missi...tos_010427.html

I have no doubts what so ever that we landed on the moon. Every piece of evidence I've seen to show it was a hoax can be disproved rather easily.

I never new about that. So ill study all the latest evidence and come up with a conclusion.

There's a thread here on the board someplace where we discussed it quite a bit. If you do a search for Apollo 15 and set the time frame for Any date you should find it.

If you think about it logically though, there would have to he hundreds of thousands, even millions of people in on the conspiracy of faking it. There were too many witnesses that saw the 3 men enter the Command Module and watched it launched. The transmissions from orbit to earth were well documented and the tracking stations from all over the world tracked the space craft all the way to the moon and back. Even the Soviet Union acknowledged the landing, which they were tracking.

There is just too much evidence that it did happen, and would have to be too many people to keep the "secret" if it was faked.

Thank you for the recording. I wasn't around a the time, my mu was living with her brother at the time of it (Her mother, after prophesising that she wouldn't be alive to see it, died in 1968) But I have been brought up knowing the importance of the landings.

I remember that day well,I was 13 years old and me and my family were all gathered in the living room watching the history unfold before our very eyes.It was a very moving moment for us all. I wish they had continued with more missions to the moon but the budget cuts to NASA stopped them from continuing.

Hopefully we will return to the moon and I hope I'm still around to see the first Mars mission!

Exactly what my whole family was doing. And I have never forgotten the day. And I completely agree that the moon missions should resume.