Can you sew?

Can you sew?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Can you sew?

• Yes, (I'm 40 or older)
    • Yes, (I'm younger than 40)
    • No, (I'm 40 or older)
    • No, (I'm younger than 40)

I have been working on some Halloween costumes and I was thinking that sewing is becoming a lost art. Even my older sister doesn't feel she sews well enough to take on the costumes.

Back when I was in high school (the days of the dinosaur :jaw: ) we actually took classes to learn to sew. I even took the advanced class. I don't even know if they teach sewing in school today. You're probably thinking so what?

But we hear a lot about "lost arts" - some people consider it lame to wear home made clothing - they'd rather spend a weeks wages on a pair of jeans with a designers name on them. :blush: which makes no sense but that's a different topic. I don't really sew that much - but I still remember how - still it makes me sad to realize that in a couple of decades there may be no one left that knows how to sew. :)

Yeah, I took a costuming class in college and learned to use a sewing machine then. It's scary to watch me in action using one.

I've had to do some simple tailoring for myself. Sewing up a few pair of pants that tore at the seam, a couple buttons, reattaching a belt loop, my bathrobe. Simple stuff like that. It's not like I could make myself a shirt out of a length of cotton, though.

Hardest part for me is threading the needle. My hands are huge, and my vision is not exactly top of the line. When I first started tailoring for myself, I used a yarn needle for regular thread. :)

yes. i've actually do a lot more hand sewing than using a machine. i did take classes in high school where we used a sewing machine. one of my favorite projects was called a quillow. it was a quilt that folded into a pillow. i also made a locker pocket once. i have sewn a lot of pillows and done some simple repairs. i have loved it since elementary school.

tm :)

I sew. Not very often, but I'm not bad. I've made a really nice shirt (maybe I should post a pic, I'm very proud of it!) and edited a few dresses recently. And I am WAY under 40. :)

No, I can't sew and I am under 40. I bought myself a Winnie the Pooh cross-stitch kit a couple of years ago but it never got finished. I do wish I could sew properly. :)

Yes, I can sew, but it's all self taught.

I too had a "home economics" requirement in 8th grade, and I just sucked at sewing. :)

I taught my self stamped cross stitch, then progressed to counted cross stitch and can now do embroidery and crewel.

As for sewing clothes, I taught myself by making a costume for myself and making curtains for my first apartment.

Let me tell you, it was awful at first.

But as I practiced, I improved.

I now make part of my income from sewing. :blush:

I now make part of my income from sewing.

Aren't you the girl in the 4th row at that Kathy Lee Gifford sweatshop in Taiwan?....... :)

I now make part of my income from sewing.

Aren't you the girl in the 4th row at that Kathy Lee Gifford sweatshop in Taiwan?....... :blush:

359664[/snapback]

:)

No!!!!

I make yoga mat bags and costumes for people, and even draperies. :jaw:

Yes I can, and I am 25

My sister can and she is 23.

Our mother taught us, and she is 50.

I do not think I am particularly good at it, but I can make outfits if the mood strikes me. More complex items, like my competition dress that has to be to specific specifications.. that I brought to my mother (first off, the top layer is double velvet.. so I really really did not want to take the chance of messing it up).

I like needlepoint and cross stitching better though.

And as far as I know, my sister prefers knitting.

We were both taught how when we were about 4 (to sew, knit, crochet, needlepoint and cross stitch. Though it would take me a bit to remember how to crochet & knit, likewise for my sister to remember the two I like)

No (I'm under 40, I'm 22). When I need someone to sew something for me, I ask my grandma. :)

When I was in school we had a sewing class and a teacher tried to teach us how to sew, and I was doing so horrible that I barely made it through. :blush: I then chose the French class the next year (it was possible to choose between those two). :jaw:

No, and I am almost 50. I had no talent in Home Ec in Junior High School. I made an skirt with a 14 inch waist, something I never remember possessing. My home ec teacher made me try the skirt on anyway......a rather humiliating experience...we knew I had lost some of the material somewhere. The grade earned in that class was not one of my better grades......

I can crochet Afghans, if I have an easy enough pattern.

I'm 24, and I can sew. Of course, I spent 5 years living on the street. We needed to know how to sew in order to repair clothing. Of course, we used cheap (as in, "easily replaced") sewing needles and floss as string, but it did the trick. (I have a sweat shirt that I sewed a patch onto 3 years ago. The floss I used as string is still holding up well, despite numerous washings.)

Edited by wishfire

I voted No, I'm younger than 40 (I'm 22). My mother and gradmother can, but I never learned. Gradma would make any and everything; pillows, stuffed toys; blankets and everything! She was very good

OK I figured most of you can sew (you big braggers! :lol: ) .

I need to make a cat out of material and I was wondering if anyone can help me? It's going to be made out of chicken wire and fur material but can anyone find me a pattern for knitting a cat? Please, I really neeed help. :flex:

This is what I was after- and what I have found:

wire_cat_standing.jpg

Perfect! :)

(Get the coding right! :lol: )

Edited by xXTrekkieCaraXx