Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

How many hurricanes have you been in?

How many hurricanes have you been in?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How many hurricanes have you been in?

• 6+

Do you remember all their names VBG?

Edit: Yes, I realize how goofy that question sounds. It sounds like I'm asking a grandparent about their grandchildren.

Edited by Jack_Bauer

I don't remember all of the names off the top of my head, Isabel was the most recent, there was Dennis and Bonnie... Bertha and Emily and I think Fran. I'd have to look up the others.

Only 2 - Allen in 1980 (we lived in San Antonio, Texas then), and Gloria in 1985 (we lived in Riverhead, New York then).

I don't live anywhere near the coast but I've been through about 5 hurricanes. The way the coast is set up, nearly all the hurricanes that hit around Georgia and the Carolinas get dragged up and pushed inward to Pennsylvania, where I am. Fortunatly, most of them are either tropical depressions or less by the time they get here, we still get flooding though.

As I've said in the past, as long as damage is low and no one gets hurt or killed I enjoy them. During Isabel back in 2003 I was outside during some of the strong points of the storm (Yes I've been told that I'm crazy lol), partially to secure debris and partly because I had to go to a neighbor's house to help them.

I've never been in any "hurricanes" that I know of, but storms that have been made by passing hurricanes I have been through plenty. I have lived in the state of Georgia all my life (22 years :inlove: ).

We get a lot of rain and tornadoes, but I don't eve remember a hurricane that ever came close to hitting where I live

Zero, i live in Western Canada, and there aren't generally any Hurricanes up here, as it mostly hits the eastern coast or lower western coasts of america (the closest hurricanes to me, i mean, not all hurricanes)

I have been thru 3. But it was a really long time ago. Plus my house was hit by one tornado.

Edited by Data

Since I lived in Florida for the first 21 years of my life and again for the last ten or so years (I've lived in NE, central Gulf and Big Bend areas of the state) I couldn't begin to count and if you include the tropical storms then let's just say there have been a lot.

Last year there was Charley, Jeanne & Francis that came through my area. Jeanne was the worst.

What VBG said is true - if it isnt' a major hurricane you mostly get a lot of rain and if you stay inside :inlove: you should be okay.

I'm sure VBG knows that many of the storm related deaths occur from flying debris or falling trees.

I lived in Puerto Rico for awile- I lived through more than i can count,including Hugo and Andrew

I have been in one. I remember it vividly because I was managing a restaurant at the time and the idiot District Manager forced me to open up the restaurant that morning despite the fact the the police had declared a ban on all travel. Naturally, I was the only one that showed up for work and of course there were no customers.

The thing that's always kind of impressed me in my neighborhood is how everyone bands together after a big storm, making sure that everyone is taken care of. Especially a few of the neighbors that can't really do a lot for themselves.

I had forgotten about the tornados that I was in, there were 2 that hit my neighborhood when I was a kid, one in 1979 that tore some trees down in my back yard and another in 1987 that also tore up some trees back there. The '79 tornado got me and my friends interviewed and in the paper. I was standing on top of a tree holding an American flag as if I had just landed on the moon lol.

does the remnants of hurricanes count? because if they did it's practically any and all that comes up to the northeast. if not then none that i know of.

tm :inlove:

:P :inlove: You do not expect some of us to name them all do you?????

I probably will leave some off, since I have lived in Florida nearly all my life and will have to go through almost 25 years of hurricane seasons (lived 6 months in Miami after my birth) so I was a month old when the season started in 1980.

Hurricanes:

Hugo 1989--- only a few of its outlier bands, so just some rain and wind. I do not remember if we lost power or if there were damages in town or not. I remember the storm being the BIG talk of my elementary school though. Since it hit S.C. and that is not very far of a drive from where I live.

Andrew 1992 - Moreso rains and wind than anything else.. though we did go to South Florida to check on whether my grandmother's estate was in one piece (she had passed away earlier that year..but had been living in Fort Lauderdale. Which was where my dad grew up)

Gordon 1994

Allison 1995

Erin 1995

Floyd 1999 - Sideswiped took power out for a day or two, trashed a student of mine's home when the tree hit the home it just missed hitting her(it hit as she was in her room trying to go to sleep). Closed down my place of work(at the time the gymnastics studio) for a few days though I still had to drive out as we were getting almost hurricane force winds to go to practice for our local Nutcracker Ballet (practices never shut down). Another student & her mom said about four or five trees fell at their home. I lost a small tree that was right beside my home.

Irene 1999- Not fun driving way to the north of town with my mom to pick up my sister late late at night. The mall kept the stores open even with the hurricanes so my sis had to work.

Charley 2004 - Not too much of a problem when it got up to the NE coast, except that I lost 20 - 30 minutes of the broacast of the Opening Ceremonies of teh Olympic Games

Frances 2004 - Note to my brother and father, when the power is out and you are in a major hurricane... DO NOT go driving blindly in our neighborhood. THere is that one blind corner, and you never know if there was a tree down or something (for those now confused, they went driving to try and find a gas station still open to get more gas for our generator.. no matter how us girls told them they were ridiculous. The Goofball Duo ran into a downed tree.. not much damage to my brother's car though). However, they also did find one of the few places left open food wise... YAY, Chinese food :P ! ! Which was a really good thing since my little sister at the time was about 7 1/2 months pregnant (she and her husband were at her inlaws house this go around, they were at our home during Charley). We lost a large pine tree... to our relief it did not fall where we thought that it would. It fell right along our property line versus right through the house.

Ivan 2004 (only some rain and wind)

Jeanne 2004 - please when will this stop ....... arrrggghh (our thoughts during this all.)... Oh yeah, and we were driving back home from a music job and driving right back INTO the hurricane.

Dennis 2005 - only rains and wind, but since they were caused by the hurricane and affected how business went I am counting this.

Katrina 2005 - Rains and winds from her... :lol: Water pouring down from your speakers is NOT a good thing, nor the little waterfall created from the top of a metal door... this was at work. My brother in law was right in the path when she hit FL.

Ophelia 2005 - She was a tropical storm when she was the annoying the HELL out of us Floridians. But did go on to be a hurricane, so I listed her here

Rita 2005 - Rains and winds as she passes by the state and goes well into the gulf. Torrential rains at times.

T.S's

Ana 1991

Alberto 1994

Jerry 1995

Harvey 1999

Gordon 2000 - was a TS when it hit, was a hurricane out at sea

Edouard - 2002

Kyle 2002 - got caught outside when this little bugger decided to come by! My family and I were playing music at an Oktoberfest, so our instruments got wet too... not really good for drums, accordion and a clarinet, and not too good since it was salty water for a tuba either

Henri 2003

Bonnie 2004

Arlene 2005 - Only some rains and wind from her

Like I said.. from 1980 until the ones I listed now... there has been a BUNCH of hurricane seasons, and I have been in or sideswiped by a BUNCH of them.

Though my friend is younger than me.. his list would probably trump mine, since he lives in the Carribbean. And he does get to add the four Florida storms of last year, since he was living here in town last year

Edited by Yillara_Soong

I mostly remember Hurricane Hugo (1989) and Hurricane Bob (1991) as those are the biggest to hit Massachusettes (where I lived from 1981 to 2000). Those two were the worst. I can't say I remember any others, though I know a few tropical storms passed near. So I'll have to go with 2.

I remember with Bob that we didn't have power for a week or two, so we had to rely on our propane grill to cook our food. Except for missing the Star Trek, I thought it was great fun. :inlove:

does the remnants of hurricanes count? because if they did it's practically any and all that comes up to the northeast. if not then none that i know of.

tm :inlove:

353977[/snapback]

There were a few that affected the NY area, actually.

Gloria in 1985 hit Long Island but of course the rains and winds from the storm came well inland.

Click For Spoiler

Gloriasat1.jpg

The Perfect Storm(yes of the movie and book fame) in 1991, that one messed with the entire Eastern Seaboard.. but primarily the Northeast

HalloweenStm3.jpg

That one actually had remnants of a hurricane in it, and on some sites is referred to as the Unnamed Hurricane, the Halloween Hurricane. It was supposed to become Henri

Bertha affected your area in 1996 as a tropical storm, but she was a hurricane before that.

There were others, but I would have to do a more in depth search to find New England area and more specifically NY area hits

If you count remnants as being in a hurricane.. then our friends overseas will be able to vote as well. Since many of our hurricanes become extratropical and/or subtropical and head over to Europe. Many have hit Ireland, England, Wales and Scotland... not to mention France, Portugal, and the Azores

Edited by Yillara_Soong