Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Picardo: "Stargate has eclipsed Star Trek"

From TrekToday.com:

As former star of Star Trek: Voyager, and still a regular guest on the convention circuit, Robert Picardo (the Holodoc) has had ample opportunity to notice the global popularity of the Trek franchise. But this week, Picardo revealed that he's also learned that Trek's popularity has begun to lag behind a bit compared to other science-fiction shows.

"I am always amazed when I travel abroad that Stargate has become huge," Picardo told Stargate SG-1 fan site GateWorld. "[it's] huge in Britain. It's far eclipsed Star Trek. It's now huge in Germany. I understand they're making big inroads in other countries."

A few years after the end of Voyager, Picardo appeared in two episodes of Stargate SG-1 as Agent Richard Woolsey, a role he will be reprising at least once more during the current season. The actor said that since he first worked on the show, he's grown to be a fan of it. "I'm an outsider who hasn't seen the show from the beginning but watches it sporadically -- although not only when I'm on it. When I was up there [in Vancouver, B.C., where the show is filmed] I was so enthusiastic that I think I watched about seven or eight new shows. I watched two or three from the last season and the two part opener, uncut. I'm very optimistic for their new season and new cast members."

For his new Stargate episode, called "Prototype," Picardo got to work with actor Beau Bridges, an actor he'd admired for a long time. The feeling ended up being mutual, as Bridges gave Picardo the nickname "Sure Shot Bob" for never forgetting his lines -- an ability Picardo gained on Voyager. "After all of the things that I managed to temporarily thumb-tack into my brain all those years," Picardo joked. "What our current administration calls 'frivolous lawsuits' where you sue McDonald's for making you fat? I really want to go after Paramount for brain cell loss. 'Techno-babble-related Brain Cell Death.'"

I knew it, it's a scary thought that Star Gate might become the new Trek. It's scary because it could mean the end of Trek. No, I don't think Trek is over, but you never know

Stargate will NEVER replace Trek. I have yet to be able to stay awake through an entire episode of Stargate.

I've never seen an episode of Stargate SG-1. I liked the movie but didn't feel it needed a sequel, let alone a series. Maybe I'll check it out someday, but the idea of a Stargate series is pretty unappealing to me. But who knows, it could be cool. It seems it's been on for a while, so it hasn't been canceled.

I agree, Stargate won't replace Star Trek. I don't think Star Wars eclipsed Trek (better movies, but only 6 of them and no series) and as much as I like Stargate (the movie) it wasn't as good as any of the original Star Wars movies, Clones beat it. Stargate was better than Phantom and Sith... but IMO Star Trek > Star Wars > Stargate.

Though I'm not sure they can do anything more with the Star Trek universe. I was thinking they could do a series based on Starfleet Academy, but I can imagine how unpopular that would be with most Trek fans.

I agree with Kor (for once) and DR

I watched Stargate for the first three seasons. It was good but iwas never heavily into it. I have yet to watch Atlantis. On the other hand,my brother is totally ixated on Gate. I make fun of him all the time. Gate is just a watered down version of Trek(now. It was ok for awile). I am totally a Trek girl. But ofcourse with time people demand new things. But with syndication and translation lots of peol are just discoveringtrek. Wait a few years without Trek- when it comes back there shall be a resurge in interest

But some Wars fans might also argue that the Trek movies copied Star Wars.

Thats a whole other issue

I have always been a Trek fan, but I am also an avid Stargate Fan. I do see where it could end up with Stargate "becoming the new Trek" Without new Trek on at this time people are starting to look for new shows to watch and Stargate fits that bill. It must be doing something right as SG-1 is now the longest running Sci Fi Show in history.

Stargate is bigger than Trek right now, but it won't replace the legend that is Star Trek. Trek is more than just some shows and movies - it's part of society and history. Pretty much everyone knows what Trek is; not as many are familiar with Stargate.

That said, I like the Stargates and hope they continue to grow in popularity.

I've heard rumors that SG1 will be around for an unprecendented 10th season - official confirmation still to come.

I agree with Ace, SG has two active series while while Trek currently has none - how could it not be more popular.

I wouldn't base my opinion of the series on the movie which was only so/so in my opinion. I've been a trekkie since 1966 and I wouldn't necessarily compare ST/SG because they are different series. However, there are some things that SG does have that ST doesn't - that sense of camaradie of the (original) SG1 team is hard to beat. And the way the team members argue with one another does seem a bit more realistic than some away team missions :D

If I had to compare SG1 to TOS - I'd probably pick TOS but SG1 to ENT - SG1 for sure.

I've heard rumors that SG1 will be around for an unprecendented 10th season - official confirmation still to come.

That is something that I am deifintely expecting to see due to the current popularity of the show.

I agree with Ace, SG has two active series while while Trek currently has none - how could it not be more popular.

I agree completely. If there were a current Trek show then things could possibly be different.

I wouldn't base my opinion of the series on the movie which was only so/so in my opinion.  I've been a trekkie since 1966 and I wouldn't necessarily compare ST/SG because they are different series.  However, there are some things that SG does have that ST doesn't - that sense of camaradie of the (original) SG1 team is hard to beat.  And the way the team members argue with one another does seem a bit more realistic than some away team missions :D

I would definitely agree with this as well. I was not a huge fan of the movie myself which is what caused me to take so long to give the series a chance. If it had not been showing a marathon one night while I was at the gym I might never have given it a chance, and now it is one of my favorite series.

I agree with Picardo, SG (+SGA & BSG) has significantly eclipsed ST in popularity.

Doing the math is easy: SG, SGA & BSG are still making new episodes while Trek is rotting in it's grave.

Doing the math is easy: SG, SGA & BSG are still making new episodes while Trek is rotting in it's grave.

Stargate in it's various forms has proven nothing yet.

Star Trek is nearly forty years old with long established success behind it.

If Stargate can last that long in multiple incarnations and become part of popular culture then it will impress me.

BSG and Stargate may be popular at the moment, but they still have much to prove before they can "eclipse" Star Trek.

Star Trek isn't rotting in any grave, but rather is taking the much needed break that it really should have had once DS9 ended. But Paramount have spent the last six years flogging mediocre series and movies and have driven the franchise to its current state of dormancy.

Like Doctor Who, Star Trek is a long established science fiction property and if handled properly, it can be successful again.

Stargate in it's various forms has proven nothing yet.

Star Trek is nearly forty years old with long established success behind it.

If Stargate can last that long in multiple incarnations and become part of popular culture then it will impress me.

BSG and Stargate may be popular at the moment, but they still have much to prove before they can "eclipse" Star Trek.

Star Trek isn't rotting in any grave, but rather is taking the much needed break that it really should have had once DS9 ended. But Paramount have spent the last six years flogging mediocre series and movies and have driven the franchise to its current state of dormancy.

Like Doctor Who, Star Trek is a long established science fiction property and if handled properly, it can be successful again.

347649[/snapback]

I agree with most of what you said. The part about mediocre series and movies is where our opinions diverge.

Star Trek will never be dead as long as we fans keep it alive.

Everyone knows about Star Trek. Only an exclusive amount of people even know about Stargate. SG has done nothing to earn popularity against Trek. It's good, but not good enough.

But some Wars fans might also argue that the Trek movies copied Star Wars.

I think anyone who even compares the two is numb in the brain.

Not everyone knows about Star Trek; some older people remember Kirk & Spock but no more than The Outer Limits or The Twilight Zone - series that were also on a major network. How often do you hear (nu nu nu nu) when something strange happens? Other than the fact people remember these shows did they really have any "impact"?

Well, maybe one - ST may have led to the creation of the "fan convention" phenomena

But as for people knowing about ST, when ENT is on the air I talked to several people who had no idea there was still a ST series; I have found most people remember TOS and TNG but know very little about any subsequent series.

SG is funnier - in a more clever way. The subtle and not so subtle humor they inject into the series is, IMO, part of what makes watching it so enjoyable. The SG1 season eight finale was far more a "gift to the fans" than the ENT finale.

One thing you can say for SG - it isn't afraid to give credit where credit is due.

Click For Spoiler
Carter: "Sir, you can't name it the Enterprise?

Jack: "Can you beam us up?"

Jacob: "Beam you up, what, am I Scotty"

Sheppard: "He's on my ship?"

McKay: "What, are you Captian Kirk?"

A couple eps later:

McKay: "OMG, he is Kirk!"

Teyla: "Who's Dr. McCoy?"

Sheppard: "He's a tv character that Beckett plays in real life?"

Sheppard (as he cloaks the jumper): "Everybody remember where we parked"

I'm not questioning how good it is. But as you say that not everyone knows about Star Trek, even less people know abour Stargate. You ask ten random people off the street if they know what Star Trek is, all of them will most likely say Yes. If you ask the same ten people if they know what Stargate is, I bet half of them at most will not know about it. How can this be better then Trek? The top cult classic.

^true, but that reminds me of when I talked to some one who didn't know who Captain Kirk was. I was talking about how my birthday (March 22) is the same day as Shatner's and Kirk's and he said "Who's Captain Kirk? A famous pirate?" I was like :D

Even when I wasn't a Trek fan, I knew who Captain Kirk was. I've even met someone who didn't know who Darth Vader was!

We can guess what ten random people would say but we don't know - no one is questioning that more older people will remember TOS - but if you asked about ENT or SG1 I wouldn't assume that ENT would win. Bsides we're not just talking about the US - as Picardo mentioned he was talking about Europe as well.

^true, but that reminds me of when I talked to some one who didn't know who Captain Kirk was. I was talking about how my birthday (March 22) is the same day as Shatner's and Kirk's and he said "Who's Captain Kirk? A famous pirate?" I was like :D

Even when I wasn't a Trek fan, I knew who Captain Kirk was. I've even met someone who didn't know who Darth Vader was!

347786[/snapback]

Yes, Gamera, this is just an illustration of how the world is heading straight to Hades! Imagine someone not knowing who Darth Vader is???? Plus, it seems that people are becoming less and less culturally literate anyway. There are so many references to Star Trek across the media ... I'll bet half of it just sail right over people's heads! Sad.

I liked Stargate the movie (wasn't that James Spader? Kurt Russell? Now there's a couple of honeys I could definitely get behind .....but I digress).

I've never seen SG-1. We have the most basic cable we can get .... so no Sci-Fi, no Spike. Just our DVD's to keep us company.