Sign in to follow this  
Angela

What offends you?

OK we are talking about Kronos and its return, but we also are talking about what we find offensive. But the thing I notice is offense covers a heck of spectrum. So what do people find offensive? Ace came up with four things that when I read them I absolutely agreed with as quoted here;

It's in the delivery, people.

"Tearing" the opinions of others apart = rude and disrespectful

Forcing your opinions on others = rude and disrespectful

Insulting the beliefs and opinions of others = rude and disrespectful

Hounding someone until they stand down out of weariness = rude and disrespectful

THOSE THINGS ARE NOT TRUE DEBATE.

347056[/snapback]

I absolutely agree with this man's sentiments, the thing is when someone is rude and disrespectful I do become offended in personal experience.

Another thing that offends is something gul_nodrog mentioned in her post in the same thread, with an example how stating an opinion or belief can result in dire circumstances;

Anyway, I don't think Kronos should come back until we can find a way to eliminate the stating of an opinion in the guise of fact.  Anyone can believe something, but unless that is stated clearly as opinion some of those "facts" being bandied about out here were actually more than a little dangerous. 

My neighbor (a real nut job) got all embroiled with one of my other elderly neighbors and actually talked him into going off his meds because of her personal facts, uh, I mean beliefs.  Now that poor old man, who was still out walking around and going to work every day up until a year ago, is comatose in a nursing home because of her uninformed meddling and layperson's medical advice.  I don't think it's much of a stretch to see the parallels in regard to a particular thread and a particular post (or two, or three or four) ...

347088[/snapback]

I absolutely agree that there is a danger element in presenting an opinion as fact. If you are talking about a fact, find some corroberating evidence from a professional, cite your source and we will debate the fact.

Opinion should be stated as opinion, belief as belief.

Personally I find opinion as fact offensive, perhaps others have differing views, but that is the way I feel.

So the question now is what offends you here at STF?

At first, as a new poster, that my opinions weren't as respected as those who had been here as long as others.

Understandably others you know have earned your respect.

I feel that it should be that all have your respect until they've done something to have it withdrawn.

thats a good point MB, to feel valued as a member you have to be held in some form of esteem, like you have a viewpoint that is valued. Without that it can be very alienating.

The only thing that really offends me is when someone else tries to shove their beliefs (about anything) down my throat and tell me I'm wrong if I believe something else. Other than that, things don't really bother me. They might piss me off for a little while, but then it's just water under the bridge.

I don't know that things offend me as much as they trouble or bother me. In real life when someone I trust turns on me or says hateful things - that offends.

Actually, UA, the comment about stating opinion as fact was mine from the first post in that thread - and that is pretty much what bothers me most on the Kronos forum. But I wouldn't say that it offends me.

In fact the use of the word "offend" itself bothers me because I have found on this board and on others that people use it as a shield for their own behavior. In other words they insult you and say I'm sorry if you are offended.

Another thing that "bothers" me is people making assumptions and attributing beliefs to you that you never stated.

Another thing that really troubles me is "ignorance" or "falsehood". The one time I was really offended in Kronos was when someone made a false statement about my religion. If you want to hate me because you disagree with my beliefs - that's one thing. But to publish lies in order to accomplish your goal is another. And I question the policy of letting people publish falsehoods - because false statements are not protected speech.

libel

However, don't confuse that with "issues" that can't be proven true or false like does God exist.

What offends me is when people bait each other to continue a personal grudge, which spreads throughout a message board. Sometimes I wish that message boards would have a "Fight Club" thread, where posters can duke it out without contaminating several threads with their venom.

Another thing is when someone posts something that seems to suggest this...

"My beliefs/opinions make me right, and since your beliefs/opinions are very different, they're obviously dumb, so are you." Then the alledged "proof" follows, all a matter of opinion and interpretation. I've never seen successful conversions made this way, but many successful grudges have been created on several message boards.

Any person that does not give repect to that a person or thing has earend, or ought to have.

Another thing is when someone posts something that seems to suggest this...

"My beliefs/opinions make me right, and since your beliefs/opinions are very different, they're obviously dumb, so are you." Then the alledged "proof" follows, all a matter of opinion and interpretation. I've never seen successful conversions made this way, but many successful grudges have been created on several message boards.

I must say I strongly agree to this and I believe I have witnessed it on ALL levels of participants on this site.

It doesn't matter how many years, months, days or hours you have been at this site, everyone has a right to their own beliefs and opinions on this site. It doesn't matter how old or young you are, or what rank you are.

Everyone's opinions need to be taken as something new, not something offensive.

While I realize someone's opinion may be offensive to you, inquiring as to why they feel that way, may help you understand why they've come to that opinion.

It doesn't mean you find it right, or that you will change your opinion, it just means you're broadening your understanding of other people.

What offends me is some people who insult my religion. I don't care if you insult me, but leave me religion out of this. As someone who I don't know (coulda been me...) said once... "Make A Mockery Of Me, I Don't Care. Make A Mockery Of My Religion, I'll Have To Kick Your *buttocks*"...

Make A Mockery Of Me, I Don't Care. Make A Mockery Of My Religion, I'll Have To Kick Your *buttocks*"...

So you support the idea that any criticism or mockery of a religion justifies violence?

no king, it was just a saying... actually, i don't like violence... I would rather solve things with words. I know, not the best saying, but i liked it...

"Make A Mockery Of Me, I Don't Care. Make A Mockery Of My Religion, I Will Talk At You" :rolleyes:

What offends me is some people who insult my religion. I don't care if you insult me, but leave me religion out of this.  As someone who I don't know (coulda been  me...) said once... "Make A Mockery Of Me, I Don't Care. Make A Mockery Of My Religion, I'll Have To Kick Your *buttocks*"...

347179[/snapback]

Wally, it's a two way street.

In fact, I think there are many here who can mock others religions, but can't handle it when some one disagrees or doesn't embrace theirs.

Tis why I think religion shouldn't be spoken here.

MB, I think LOB's statements were out of line. But if you make rules against topics you don't like what's to stop someone else from making rules against something they dont' like which might be important to you. Which is why I don't support censoring on the basis of subject matter.

What I'm saying is I believe there is a very high level of intolerence regarding religious matters on this site, and until somehow it's proven to have "matured" than it needs to be handled in very strict terms or not at all.

I've seen it get pretty ugly about politics as well, so much so that during the last election that sent all political discussions off site. I think the answer is in behavior though - not the subject matter.

For example, during the political melee, there was very little actual discussion of issues such as economy, environment, education etc. and a whole lot of mud-slinging at one candidate or the other. Which seems to be what you're observing about religion.

I've been trying to come up with what "offends" me and I can't think of anything. I do get fightin' mad when my faith is referred to as "crap," my sister's meds are being dismissed as sugar pills (or worse, heroin!) by a layperson, and someone actually calls me a "flat earther."

However, I don't think we should ban particular topics out of fear of offending people. Geez, everything offends somebody.

It's so easy to just say whatever comes to mind out here without considering the consequences or how it's going to sound. We talk to faceless people by typing on a keyboard. We say things here we'd probably never say face to face, or if we did, we'd try to say them a little nicer. Maybe we should all read our posts out loud to ourselves before we click on the "add reply" button, just to make sure they sound polite and civil.

Lack of consideration for others. That is something that offends.

Judgemetalism

People don't know the full story about others, what make them think they know better, they may find down the line they don't.

Egotism

Thinking you are better than others and holding superiourity over them, like their viewpoint is so much better. (can also be diagnosed as narciscistic persoanlity disorder)

Not being aware that your own actions impinge at any time on others.

Ok By that definition I have offended myself at some point but really a little member awareness at times would be nice, weren't some of us raised to be conscious of how other people feel and that what we said affected them too. Or was it just my mother that taught that.