Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Should we bag the timeline and

TOS was built around technology available in the 60's. I think this kind of limits Enterprise because we're used to more technology. I can't help but think that after episodes like Unexpected and Oasis that someone on Enterprise wouldn't start working on a holodec. It doesn't make sense the species in Unexpected wouldn't have given ENT the specs for a holodec considering all ENT did for them.

Your thoughts.

I don't think they should "bag the timeline". ENT was advertised as a prequel when it premeired, so that's what I'm expecting. After 3 spin-offs, I wouldn't be interrested in a re-make, "reset series", nor alternate universe series. With that said, yes, I think they should have a holodeck, but it should be a primitive kind, translucent holograms, emitters instead of a full fledged room, that sort of thing.

I don't think they should succed in building a holodeck. I, personally think it would be neat if they tried to build one, but failed and wound up causing a problem. That could be interesting. :laugh::laugh:

Nah, keep the timeline intact as much as possible, tptb have been knocking my socks off with Trek for a quite a while, I want to try and remain confident ENT will be no exception even without the fancy gizmos.

Stardate:213499.9

I also agree with keeping the timeline intact.A holodeck would be cool but TOS didnt have a holodeck so Ent shouldnt either.

In a small way, haven't they changed the timeline anyway? For instance the crew of Entrprise have nice streamlined little communicators while TOS had large clunky ones in comparison.

Despite that, Ent should in no way be allowed anywhere near a holodeck. Instead maybe they should have a primitive prototype, like Captin Branson's on the USS Equinox.

I don't think they should succed in building a holodeck. I, personally think it would be neat if they tried to build one, but failed and wound up causing a problem. That could be interesting. :laugh:  :laugh:
Nah, keep the timeline intact as much as possible, tptb have been knocking my socks off with Trek for a quite a while, I want to try and remain confident ENT will be no exception even without the fancy gizmos.

I agree with both of you.

Nah, they don't need a holodeck. I like how they watch movies for entertainment.

If anything, they need better force field technology. Maybe Malcolm and Trip could whip something up. It would give Trip something to concentrate on besides revenge.

;) :) TO ME THE WHOLE THING IS CONFUSSING....... THEY NEED TO DO SOMETHING WITH ENT.......I DO NOTICE THE DIFFERENCES IN GADGETS...... ;) HOPEFULLY THEY WILL SEE THIER MISTAKES AND FIX THINGS BEFORE IT ALL GETS OUT OF HAND. ;)

What they sould do is instead of a holodeck they could use a holosuit, that was the first incarnation of the holodeck. The only problem is that it was still being developed when Kirk was around for he helped test it. But in defense of the timeline it would really dissapoint me if they go away from it I want to see the timeline fro ENT develop and merge into the timeline for TOS that's the way it should be.

I agree that the holodeck could disturb the timeline, but it could be done in a way that would not do so. A prototype of the holodeck could be explored, but it could be limited and still have problems. This would allow for an explanation that due to the limitations and flaws the technology was pretty much abandoned by the time of TOS, and then reexplored due to advances in technology such as tractor beams and such.

In a small way, haven't they changed the timeline anyway? For instance the crew of Entrprise have nice streamlined little communicators while TOS had large clunky ones in comparison.

Despite that, Ent should in no way be allowed anywhere near a holodeck. Instead maybe they should have a primitive prototype, like Captin Branson's on the USS Equinox.

You should never equate technology with design: they are totally different. Yes the communicators and tri-corders on TOS were chunkier. But maybe that was due to design rather than technology. The large jewelled butons, the garish colours. That was the ''look'' of the TOS era. The technology behind it was a lot more advanced though.

Nowadays, chrome and wood stereos are back in fashion, after having been fazed out in the 90s with matt black versions. Now the black stereos look out dated and chrome televisions with big knobs and buttons are back in fashion. Even DVD players have a retro look that harkens back to the late 70s.

In relation to the holodeck idea, I say no. I can see how it could take 100s of years to develop something so advanced. I think it is important to remember that Enterprise isnt all that far in the future wen you think about it.